• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Remake needs to have an Easy difficulty setting

Airbus Jr

Banned
For people who have a life and don’t have a lot of time to replay the same section over and over again.

It would be great to have an easy setting so I can actually enjoy a Souls game for once.

Ninja Gaiden Black has an easy setting if you died 3 times in a row or something like that. It never took away from the original experience

And please don’t tell me about coop MP. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
tenor.gif

FunkMiller

You're all just scared because you'd like to use that easy (or just easier) mode and you know you don't have the guts to ignore it. Just admit it.

Well done. You’ve just stumbled on why we all love the Souls games. Of course we’d all be tempted to use an easy mode! But that’s why it’s so great there isn’t one. I punched the air when I finally beat Father Gascoigne. I’d never have felt like that if they’d given me an easy way out.

Seriously... just go play something else.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No. It can have cheats/accesability options for SURE.
But I prefer that the difficulty is precisely set by the developer in those games.

Well done. You’ve just stumbled on why we all love the Souls games. Of course we’d all be tempted to use an easy mode! But that’s why it’s so great there isn’t one. I punched the air when I finally beat Father Gascoigne. I’d never have felt like that if they’d given me an easy way out.

Seriously... just go play something else.

Reading comprehension is harder than Demon's Soul, apparently.

Raikugen

Neo Member
Absolutely not, that would betray what made it popular to begin with. Play a different game if you can't be bothered to obtain the skill necessary to play the game.

Graciaus

Use magic and summon people. That is the easy mode. But I wouldn't be opposed if they added one on offline mode for true scrubs.

Goncas2

I like how Celeste does its easy mode, even though I never used it. But I would probably use it for Demon's Souls, lol.
I'll never understand people who are against just adding an *option* that they can just chose ignore. If it interferes with multiplayer, just divide players according to their difficulty. If that doesn't work, outright remove it from the easy mode.
This is, of course, if the developers want it. But I'm not against it. They just won't get my money if the game doesn't have it.

FunkMiller

I like how Celeste does its easy mode, even though I never used it. But I would probably use it for Demon's Souls, lol.
I'll never understand people who are against just adding an *option* that they can just chose ignore. If it interferes with multiplayer, just divide players according to their difficulty. If that doesn't work, outright remove it from the easy mode.
This is, of course, if the developers want it. But I'm not against it. They just won't get my money if the game doesn't have it.

Because we’d all use it. Which ruins the experience From Software intend.

They only people who think having an easy mode in a Souls game would be easy to ignore are people who have never played a Souls game much.

Last edited:

Mato

People who like the Souls games, you mean?

Look, these games aren’t that hard if you accept they take patience and effort to play. Either go along with that, or maybe find something else to play. Why spoil a game for millions of others, who want the challenge without the easy fix of a difficulty changer?

Doesn't matter, the anexionista of difficultly setting would mean new players would be inclined to choose an easier setting and end up having a worse experience because of it.

Our opinions on this hold equal weight. I loved my time with DS1, I spent more than 100 hours playing it to finish and I consider it among the three best games I've ever played. I don't want an alternative. I want something expertly designed by From Software, but in a way that allows me to tackle it in my own comfort. I don't demand it, I only said I would welcome it. This would not affect your experience in any way. If this addition were to come at the cost of the default hardcore-player experience that Souls games are known for, then I would be against it myself.

Malakhov

Banned
I will be getting it even knowing I might rage quit, but if the developer chose that difficulty, it's the way to be played. I'll respect that

Keihart

Need? mm no, it doesn't.
There is not much there to enjoy if not for the reward of clearing the sections under the constraints of the game. Demon's Souls and it spiritual sequels are not actually that hard from a mechanical or strategy perspective even, they are games about learning and patience, people that struggle the most in this games are people who try to force their way into the game, which can be a fun thing to do but it's no the path of less resistance.

This video it's probably a better insight into the OP's question than any reply could be.

Last edited:

Tranquil

No.

If it is anything like ds1-3, it is not difficult.

I chose pure mage without armor in all of them and still they felt pretty easy, so they are not hard games. Unless you are stupid and run around like headless chicken without learning mechanics, of course

Dunno if melee is easier than mages, havent tried thosw

You are very much the minority.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
A lot of the difficulty is in your mind, when it comes to FromSoft games. They are not as difficult as the reputation that precedes them.

FunkMiller

Our opinions on this hold equal weight. I loved my time with DS1, I spent more than 100 hours playing it to finish and I consider it among the three best games I've ever played. I don't want an alternative. I want something expertly designed by From Software, but in a way that allows me to tackle it in my own comfort. I don't demand it, I only said I would welcome it. This would not affect your experience in any way. If this addition were to come at the cost of the default hardcore-player experience that Souls games are known for, then I would be against it myself.

See my other response. If there‘s an easy mode, we’d all eventually use it. All of us. Not a single person has ever played through a Souls game for the first time without hitting major hurdles that they have to overcome.

oagboghi2

I don't get it, Souls game aren't time sinks. You can actually finish 2 souls games back to back as a newbie player then you are to get all side-missions and quests in Assassin's Creed.
The difference is AssCreed game are incredibly east, so people feel forward progression, even if all they are doing is grinding stupid mini quests.

Souls games are only long if you are bad, and refuse to put in the effort to become better.

Cannibalistic

Neo Member
I like to pretend that the lost souls shambling around the game world are people who gave up, and now wander around, mumbling about an easy mode.
Those shits are pathetic, and I love killing them. Not because I they give xp, but because they disgust me.

But seriously, it's not that hard, just requires a little patience. Hit and dodge, hit and dodge.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This was already the case on Sekiro and people still bitched so I don't think that's going to work.

You're right, but by the same token, when the last time you ever heard about anyone enjoying anything anymore? We've all been spoiled by modern production values to the point that anything that doesn't make you hard as diamonds from title screen to end credit logos is garbo. In this case, you kind of just have to run with what will piss the least people, and add the biggest number of consumers.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hate this mindset that every game needs be design around for everyone. Then you get people who play games like DMC and Bayonetta on normal or easy and say the combat sucks because you button mash everything.

There are games that you have engage with its system and if you can't then the game is simply not for you.

FunkMiller

...of course there is an argument to suggest the difficulty curve on some Souls games could do with a tweak, but that’s a different matter.

FunkMiller

I hate this mindset that every game needs be design around for everyone. Then you get people who play games like DMC and Bayonetta on normal or easy and say the combat sucks because you button mash everything.

There are games that you have engage with its system and if you can't then the game is simply not for you.

Exactly. I fucking suck at COD now because I’m old, but I don’t think they should slow it down so I can compete. I just play something else.

I love how everyone gets all riled-up.

OP is right: every game needs to be more accessible. It doesn't take away from your experience, and it doesn't negate higher difficulties levels.

DS can be as difficult as ever, while still providing an entry level for kids, new players, whatever.

And no: no one cares if you're good enough or better than others.

You're all just scared because you'd like to use that easy (or just easier) mode and you know you don't have the guts to ignore it. Just admit it.

Or some of us don't care about getting good, being hardcore, or whatever strawman and just want developers to make the game they want to make. Difficulty or whatever.

If sales tank, they made their own decisions. Just like it is your decision to buy it or not.

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
It would impact it, though.

Fragmenting the playerbase for multiplayer. Sometimes matchmaking can get a bit slow. This would make that worse for both sides of the isle.
Making"The Bar" more murky in terms of what kind of experience the player can expect. Gamers love to pretend there's lots of "standard" things they can expect and police. The social aspect of multiplayer titles is something that developers and communities take into account.
Setting a precedent with the developer and any publishers they go through that may compromise them going forward. Publishers are absolute twats and I have no desire to give them ammo.

I'm sure I could squeeze a few other things out of my head, but wanted to bring up some less-thought-of ways that the addition of multiple difficulty levels could impact this.

nkarafo

For people who have a life and don’t have a lot of time to replay the same section over and over again.

And please don’t tell me about coop MP. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
Seems you have an issue with spending time in videogames.

Maybe you should consider playing less time consuming games instead.

Top Bottom