• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: The Witch Queen Is Already Pre-ordered by Over 1 Million Players (Releases in 2.22.22)

It is odd how people love pre-ordering these kind of games when a new expansion comes out. WoW Shadowlands broke records, but everyone jumped ship after a few months. My guess is a only a fraction of these pre-orders will stay for any long term engagement. Only people left playing this game are people who wasted too much time in it already. Just like WoW, LoL, or any other live service game with that beautiful sunk cost fallacy. I mean, the Destiny community literally memes about how they hate Destiny but log in everyday. Downright creepy.

ZehDon

Gold Member
How much paid content did they remove from the game for this one? Stopped caring about Destiny 2 when the content I paid for with my vanilla legendary collectors edition was removed from the game because Bungie had trouble keeping track of it all. Never again.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
When does Destiny 3 come out? I'll try another iteration but I'm done with 2. I put a ton of time In 1, but two didn't grab me the same.
They got 2 more expasions in destiny 2 light dark saga after witch queen so at least 3 years from now.

Warnen

How much paid content did they remove from the game for this one? Stopped caring about Destiny 2 when the content I paid for with my vanilla legendary collectors edition was removed from the game because Bungie had trouble keeping track of it all. Never again.
Forsaken campaign
tangled shore: location public events lost sectors and strikes
Exotic quest for hawkmoon and the scout that can roll with random perks (forget name)
All this years activities

ZehDon

Gold Member
Forsaken campaign
tangled shore: location public events lost sectors and strikes
Exotic quest for hawkmoon and the scout that can roll with random perks (forget name)
All this years activities
LOL 😂 That was their best campaign! At least with the Red Legion War, the campaign wasn’t exactly good!

Warnen

LOL 😂 That was their best campaign! At least with the Red Legion War, the campaign wasn’t exactly good!
Yeah nothing since has been as good. Destiny was its best when Activision was in charge. Hope with Sony they can get up to that lvl again but won't be seeing the efforts of that till at least the next big expansion.

Seems like the big new thing in witch queen is the ability to make your own weapons, surely it will be more time consuming then just getting them thru random rolls

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

destiny 2 was not something i enjoyed tbh, haven’t played in a while and will try to check the game out when this expansion releases but take me back to the taken king time of destiny 1, had a great time with the game during that time.

Last edited:
I've not really played much of Destiny 2 although I did play a lot of the original game so I'm not sure about how much expansions cost for D2. Are the expansions still around the $40-$50 mark?

Actually, looking now it seems this expansion is actually a full price release. So they're essentially releasing a full price game every year with Bungie 2 and also taking in whatever gubbins they can sell via the usual always available tat throughout the year. It's no wonder that Microsoft and Sony are so interested in these types of online games now.

Last edited:

sainraja

It wasn't because they couldn't keep track of it all as far as I know. It was due to how big the game was getting and it was becoming harder for them to maintain and come out with quick updates/patches. They've got that part down to a tee now. The game has changed a lot and it is a shame that places are vaulted but the seasonal story and activities are pretty fun and a good rotation from one season to the next. For clarity, planets that are vaulted are not gone forever. They will be brought back at some point based on what is happening in the story of the game.

Yeah nothing since has been as good. Destiny was its best when Activision was in charge. Hope with Sony they can get up to that lvl again but won't be seeing the efforts of that till at least the next big expansion.

Seems like the big new thing in witch queen is the ability to make your own weapons, surely it will be more time consuming then just getting them thru random rolls
You just seem down on the game lol. The presage mission, the grasp dungeon has all been really good content — Vault of Glass was brought back and is a pretty good & challenging raid. Presage was tied to the season of the chosen and yes it is going away but the gun the mission unlocked will be available via Xur. Same with Hawkmoon.

And ofcourse you will have to put time into the game for weapon crafting....I mean, you have to play the game, right? If you are just worried about it being a long grind, then yeah I hope it's not that.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's almost like all xbots became very fond of COD in a night, yeah?
I havent seen any saying cod is the best game ever. The majority of people said it is one of the best selling games, not one of the best games..
Theres a difference.

And the difference is here we now love destiny and still hate cod lol
It was on Game Pass.
8679305.jpg

Kerotan

I bought the last expansion on sale and I'm only due to start it in the next month with my friend so no point pre ordering this. I'll probably get it early summer on sale though.

sainraja

I havent seen any saying cod is the best game ever. The majority of people said it is one of the best selling games, not one of the best games..
Theres a difference.

And the difference is here we now love destiny and still hate cod lol

8679305.jpg
Are you going to be OKAY?
I don't think you read the conversation you are responding to here by quoting me lol. But sure, do your fanboy thing. It's alright.

The_Mike

Are you going to be OKAY?
I don't think you read the conversation you are responding to here by quoting me lol. But sure, do your fanboy thing. It's alright.
Your post was one line.

You said it has a sub on game pass.
Because the game is on game pass.

Am I misunderstanding something?

You brought the fanboy argument into this. Ironic.

Warnen

You just seem down on the game lol. The presage mission, the grasp dungeon has all been really good content — Vault of Glass was brought back and is a pretty good & challenging raid. Presage was tied to the season of the chosen and yes it is going away but the gun the mission unlocked will be available via Xur. Same with Hawkmoon.

And ofcourse you will have to put time into the game for weapon crafting....I mean, you have to play the game, right? If you are just worried about it being a long grind, then yeah I hope it's not that.

I love the game this last year has been great. Doesn't change the fact that Forsake was its peak so far. I'm only down on stuff i bought being taken out and not really an equal amount put back in. There are so little amount of strikes in the game with Witch Queen that they had to combine it with fucking battleground... that just running thru public areas fighting at points.

I don't mind grinding shit, been doing the same wall of nodes every season this year. The grind to unlock the dark class shit was not fun and I fear it will be same for weapons. That shit was tedious.

sainraja

Your post was one line.

You said it has a sub on game pass.
Because the game is on game pass.

Am I misunderstanding something?

You brought the fanboy argument into this. Ironic.
Lol yeah. I don't think you followed that conversation at all. I did not say the game has a sub on game pass. I was just responding or clarifying it for the person I quoted that it was on Game Pass which is probably why people are saying it was sub based.

Last edited:

sainraja

I love the game this last year has been great. Doesn't change the fact that Forsake was its peak so far. I'm only down on stuff i bought being taken out and not really an equal amount put back in. There are so little amount of strikes in the game with Witch Queen that they had to combine it with fucking battleground... that just running thru public areas fighting at points.

I don't mind grinding shit, been doing the same wall of nodes every season this year. The grind to unlock the dark class shit was not fun and I fear it will be same for weapons. That shit was tedious.
Yeah, it is a shame that they have had to take stuff out but I do think it will make a return at some point. With this news (e.g. money from Sony), maybe it could happen sooner?

Last edited:

The_Mike

Lol yeah. I don't think you followed that conversation at all. I did not say the game has a sub on game pass. I was just responding or clarifying it for the person I quoted that it was on Game Pass which is probably why people are saying it was sub based.
Oh my sorry about that 😂 I literally thought you actually meant it.

I'm sorry for mistaking your IQ that's on me bro.

Hope we're cool.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Look at your own post history man

You seems to be happy with Ms acquitition

Dont call other people fanboy if you cant even hide your own stupid biass

Pathetic
I'm talking about the bandwagoneers who on Sunday wouldn't have been caught dead playing the GAAS Destiny 2 because it's a MMO FPS when they were "Single Player 4 Lyfe".

drganon

I keep thinking every once in a while about giving destiny2 another shot. I played the crap out of the first but barely any of 2.

Vindicator

Got the deluxe day 1 on Steam, will probably double dip for PS5 like with Shadow Keep & Beyond Light before.
Got 1k Silver through this as well, not gonna spend that though, a few Bright Dust here and there is enough, don't want to support their Eververse practices too much.

Last edited:
I don't mind the removal of campaigns when they are not relevant anymore. Though I'd prefer to have these campaigns still available as an optional download. Same for vaulted locations.
What I really dislike is the removal of PVP and gambit maps, and strikes. These should never ever be vaulted.

S0ULZB0URNE

1 million is nothing these days. Halo Infinite is played by more than 10 million and we know that’s not a great game either.
Yeah. I’m guessing they are gonna release their new gamepass like service and they’re gonna relaunch Destiny exclusively for that service as a way to attract players?

Otherwise I don’t get it. The only other option is Sony is going third party and they will release all of their games for every platform.

It is a flop. Nobody cares about this game. Record for DESTINY 2, they can’t even take into account Destiny 1 lol.
Suicide account?

Warnen

I keep thinking every once in a while about giving destiny2 another shot. I played the crap out of the first but barely any of 2.
Game is dam near impenetrable at this point. With the 30th update game was auto launching newbie into mid level content as soon as they made a character...

There are so many currencies, marker on maps, icons and other shit layered in over the years it just nuts for new or returning players. Shit my brother missed 2 season and is completely lost.

Should have made D3 instead of Beyond light, just made a clean break for next 4 expansions.

TheMan

Game is dam near impenetrable at this point. With the 30th update game was auto launching newbie into mid level content as soon as they made a character...

There are so many currencies, marker on maps, icons and other shit layered in over the years it just nuts for new or returning players. Shit my brother missed 2 season and is completely lost.

Should have made D3 instead of Beyond light, just made a clean break for next 4 expansions.
Yup, I stepped away for a couple of expansions and came back to Beyond Light. Felt quite confused. And the story- forget about it, I'll never get it straight.

That said, it's funny how the release date seemed so far away when this was announced and now here we are. If it's well received, fuck it i'll give it a shot.

Warnen

Yup, I stepped away for a couple of expansions and came back to Beyond Light. Felt quite confused. And the story- forget about it, I'll never get it straight.

That said, it's funny how the release date seemed so far away when this was announced and now here we are. If it's well received, fuck it i'll give it a shot.

Yeah there is surface level Destiny that's always fun where you just do the missions and maybe some side shit and just ignore the bonfire of horseshit and tires all around you. You can play most of the fun stuff with out ever dealing with all the confusing stuff. The yearly big expansions is the best time to enjoy that if you can ignore the 100s of blinking lights all over your quest/inventory/map screens. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

TheMan

Destiny was a game I thought I would be playing a long ass time but my interest died real quick. Looks like a big adventure game from the outside but you quickly realise how shallow it is IMO.
I really wish they'd add strikes more often or come up with some other PVE matchmade activity. They even took away matchmaking for the nightfalls and have never considered adding it to the raids (FUCK using an app)

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
If they keep the same bs model under Sony I won’t come back. The last model is what made me quit the game. I’m hoping they figure it out and stop their previous practices

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Some things are free, like PVP (not Trials though) and strikes. Some are paid. Like most raids and dungeons.

Yeah, I just looked this up, and seems like they removed pretty much everything from the free version a while back. No free campaign content anymore etc. I was actually thinking of giving this game a go, but given this I'll pass. Was really only interested in playing the campaign in co-op (and maybe getting some DLC if I was hooked).

Is it even possible to get into this game if you haven't been playing it all along? With how it keeps changing, it seems like it would be impossible for a newcomer to have any idea what's going on.

Stuart360

I'm talking about the bandwagoneers who on Sunday wouldn't have been caught dead playing the GAAS Destiny 2 because it's a MMO FPS when they were "Single Player 4 Lyfe".
I mean everyone hated GAAS games for years on here, because it was more of a Microsoft thing. I honestly cant remember the last Destiny related thread on this forum, or really even posts about Destiny, until this Bungie deal. Now its like some massive game that everyone seems to be loving lol.
I own the game, and 12 hours was enough for me.

sainraja

Who cares man not everyone into the same game some like multiplayer game some others like single players and some others play both get a grip ffs
Yup — but unfortunately that is what happens when people take their console wars a little too seriously. It tints their view on things. Now they are trying to conjure up a new narrative to downplay the game. It's staying on all platforms so seeing this narrative being pushed is just sad. lol.

One of the positive thing about this whole thing is that the game is also getting a little more visibility due to this. That's not a bad thing at all.

Last edited:

sainraja

Here is what I recommend if you do give it a try:

1. Play through the new light campaign.
2. Take it slow. You don't need to understand everything right off the bat.
3. Play strikes, nightfall and some crucible.

Those are key — everything else will just make sense once you've done those a few times. If you just want to explore, then do some patrols. You'll have a good time. Collecting awesome weapons is the hook.

Hint: Visit Xur weekly (you can find him via light.gg) and unlock some exotics!

Yeah, I just looked this up, and seems like they removed pretty much everything from the free version a while back. No free campaign content anymore etc. I was actually thinking of giving this game a go, but given this I'll pass. Was really only interested in playing the campaign in co-op (and maybe getting some DLC if I was hooked).

Is it even possible to get into this game if you haven't been playing it all along? With how it keeps changing, it seems like it would be impossible for a newcomer to have any idea what's going on.
See above. If you are looking to jump in to play a campaign then the The Witch Queen is a good time to jump in and try it out.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Here is what I recommend if you do give it a try:

1. Play through the new light campaign.
2. Take it slow. You don't need to understand everything right off the bat.
3. Play strikes, nightfall and some crucible.

Those are key — everything else will just make sense once you've done those a few times. If you just want to explore, then do some patrols. You'll have a good time. Collecting awesome weapons is the hook.

Hint: Visit Xur weekly (you can find it via light.gg) and unlock some exotics!

See above. If you are looking to jump in to play a campaign then the The Witch Queen is a good time to jump in and try it out.

I was hoping there'd be some free campaign content to try out before committing, but I understand that's really no longer the case.

And won't this new campaign be a continuation of what's come before? Seems like I'd be lost, and that old content is no longer available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom