• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dexerto "Guerrilla Games wants Horizon’s Aloy in the next Super Smash Bros"

Audiophile

I love the Horizon games for the world and the creatures; I especially liked the first for the way it unfolded in more of a linear fashion. I'm also a dirty graphics whore and in titles like them I think it really aids in pulling you in to the world.

The visual design of Aloy is great and quite iconic, even if it's not the most original (she certainly had a bit of alteration in the second game that's further exaggerated in specific shots, I can laugh at the jokes though at the same time it's overstated when people are talking about it seriously).

But as a character she's cocky know it all regular enough to the point it sticks out and stinks like a case of the strong wimminz.

I don't care really about attractiveness for a character I'm playing in a game, but I do care about them being established in a certain manner in initial outings and then altered, especially with the obvious trends. For sure if they pull a Mary Jane with her in Horizon 3 then I'll be right here shitting on it with you guys.

Back to the point of the thread, I doubt her actual character/personality matters all that much when it comes to her reach across various properties, at least not beyond the peppy voice and quippiness. But the visual design will probably suffice. Ultimately they just wanna expose people to the PlayStation brand in the hope that it hooks them in to the ecosystem. The LEGO move on Switch is definitely a smart one.

Last edited:
That isn't even "chubby" at that. That is full on morbid obesity.

Yeah that's My 600 LB Life levels right there. One cupcake away from Krispy Cream Heaven.

I love the Horizon games for the world and the creatures; I especially liked the first for the way it unfolded in more of a linear fashion. I'm also a dirty graphics whore and in titles like them I think it really aids in pulling you in to the world.

The visual design of Aloy is great and quite iconic, even if it's not the most original (she certainly had a bit of alteration in the second game that's further exaggerated in specific shots, I can laugh at the jokes though at the same time it's overstated when people are talking about it seriously).

But as a character she's cocky know it all regular enough to the point it sticks out and stinks like a case of the strong wimminz.

I don't care really about attractiveness for a character I'm playing in a game, but I do care about them being established in a certain manner in initial outings and then altered, especially with the obvious trends. For sure if they pull a Mary Jane with her in Horizon 3 then I'll be right here shitting on it with you guys.

Back to the point of the thread, I doubt her actual character/personality matters all that much when it comes to her reach across various properties, at least not beyond the peppy voice and quippiness. But the visual design will probably suffice. Ultimately they just wanna expose people to the PlayStation brand in the hope that it hooks them in to the ecosystem. The LEGO move on Switch is definitely a smart one.

I guess it does from that POV. But, I just get the feeling it will also bring about other things. Horizon 3 is still a whiles away; there is nothing technically stopping SIE from bringing HZD and HFW to Switch 2 since they would be old games by then, and would still serve the purpose they've outlined in attracting people to new tentpole releases who are outside of the console ecosystem (this is what SIE have said; I am NOT saying I agree with their rationality).

What I'm interested in at this point is, if (when) those types of ports come about...what are the people vehemently saying that'd never happen right now, are going to say if/when it DOES happen? Will the goalpost get moved again? Will they look back at those of us saying this is a slippery slope right now, and only finally agree years later? My thing is, if that type of situation happens, why would those Nintendo players be any different than Steam users who already practically expect every SIE game to come to PC in short-ish order, due to the precedent that's been set?

And I'm not really sure how much FOMO is working for people when it comes to most exclusives. I mean that in terms of getting people not already in a given ecosystem to jump in and buy a console to get that exclusive. If it's having a more muted effect with certain platforms (say, PlayStation in this example), that's probably because the sheer number and variety of those exclusives either aren't enough in number, or aren't enough in time spent as full exclusives (or both), to move the needle for those types of players.

Kind of like how MS's thing of timed console exclusivity for new 1P games going forward (in some cases) before they (inevitably) get PS5 and/or Switch 2 ports, will do nothing for generating consoles sales from people outside of the Xbox console ecosystem. It's either there aren't enough exclusives, not enough exclusives of sufficient variety, or not enough exclusives of long enough time duration (or a mixture of the three) to get those people to jump in. They don't have FOMO, so waiting a while means absolutely nothing to them.

Sony will probably end up having that same problem going forward with PlayStation, though maybe at a lesser level. I guess it depends on how they handle multiplatform going forward. We'll see.

Last edited:

Synless

Ok, in all fairness. Aloy could have a pretty cool move set.

However she is a boring cunt of a character compared to others in Sony’s library.

I would rather have Astrobot over this whale.

Sony literally has so many tentpole characters to choose from and they keep going back to that boring fucking character.
Sony simply trying to appease a certain demographic with female empowerment. That’s why they can’t stop trying to put Aloy everywhere. Sony has gone full woke since moving to California.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Sony keep pushing Alloy the way SE kept pushing and PUNISHING us with shoving Lightening into everything, in fact I am starting to draw some serious parallels here.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I really love how much this site hates Aloy. When I was playing Horizon, I kept retreating to my group chat to complain about how she wouldn't shut up, and how rude she was to NPCs in dialogue. Such a terrible character in an otherwise very interesting game. I was really into the lore, and when I'd moved onto my next game, I found myself missing Horizon's world.
Also as a very active and vivid dreamer, I had quite a few Horizon-inspired dreams while I was playing the game.

Fake

Sony: Please put Aloy in Smash we need more women in your games

Nintendo: OK, we gonna put Tifa from Final Fantasy

Sony:

Friday Movie GIF

Last edited:

Sorcerer

All of this pushing of Horizon on Switch must mean there are ports in the works of the first two games for Switch 2. I doubt the crowd they are aiming for with Lego is going to care that much for these games.

SirTerry-T

Is there even going to be another Smash?
Plus, with the whole Nintendo/Sony relationship, I think the only Sony characters you would see in Smash are the third party ones.

All of this pushing of Horizon on Switch must mean there are ports in the works of the first two games for Switch 2. I doubt the crowd they are aiming for with Lego is going to care that much for these games.

It definitely feels like "that" other shoe is going to drop, probably next year. I don't know when the HZD Remaster (lol, this game doesn't need a remaster or remake) launches, but it could be a Day 1 on Switch 2 type of deal. It'll have been eight years by then since HZD first came out.

Then they probably follow up with HFW a year later. I wouldn't even be surprised if they threw in some Nintendo-exclusive character costumes and items for a Switch 2 port. You know, like how Link was Gamecube-exclusive in that version of Soul Calibur 2 back in the day. I'm beyond questioning if any of this happens and more asking just when it'll get officially announced (or practically confirmed in a super-solid leak).

And as always, I'm not saying this because I agree that's a good strategy (at least in terms of what it means for Sony's own consoles going forward); I'm just saying it because there's a decently probable chance it will happen. There's a massive difference.

As for if Switch 2 players would buy non-LEGO Horizon games? I guess it depends. They likely wouldn't need to do a lot of work to get either running on a Switch 2 since both games are cross-gen with PS4, and Switch 2 should be roughly on par with PS4 when non-docked. So that means they wouldn't need to sell a huge ton of copies. And in SIE's eyes, sales on other platforms like PC are just "free" extra revenue on top (at least that's what the people who constantly defend the PC ports tell me; in reality lateral sales exist and there are prob costs for ports baked into total dev budgets not accounted for in the upfront porting costs we see in fiscal reports).

So even if they just sold 50K on Switch 2 for each of those games, it'd be nothing but extra money in the bank and well worth it....supposedly.

Sorcerer

It definitely feels like "that" other shoe is going to drop, probably next year. I don't know when the HZD Remaster (lol, this game doesn't need a remaster or remake) launches, but it could be a Day 1 on Switch 2 type of deal. It'll have been eight years by then since HZD first came out.

Then they probably follow up with HFW a year later. I wouldn't even be surprised if they threw in some Nintendo-exclusive character costumes and items for a Switch 2 port. You know, like how Link was Gamecube-exclusive in that version of Soul Calibur 2 back in the day. I'm beyond questioning if any of this happens and more asking just when it'll get officially announced (or practically confirmed in a super-solid leak).

And as always, I'm not saying this because I agree that's a good strategy (at least in terms of what it means for Sony's own consoles going forward); I'm just saying it because there's a decently probable chance it will happen. There's a massive difference.

As for if Switch 2 players would buy non-LEGO Horizon games? I guess it depends. They likely wouldn't need to do a lot of work to get either running on a Switch 2 since both games are cross-gen with PS4, and Switch 2 should be roughly on par with PS4 when non-docked. So that means they wouldn't need to sell a huge ton of copies. And in SIE's eyes, sales on other platforms like PC are just "free" extra revenue on top (at least that's what the people who constantly defend the PC ports tell me; in reality lateral sales exist and there are prob costs for ports baked into total dev budgets not accounted for in the upfront porting costs we see in fiscal reports).

So even if they just sold 50K on Switch 2 for each of those games, it'd be nothing but extra money in the bank and well worth it....supposedly.
I would guess it's gonna a double pack deal, both games together.
It would be a sort of slap in the face to PS4 owners that the Switch 2 version of the second game will probably contain the dlc they were denied. LOL!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom