• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Can the Slowest PS5 SSD Upgrade Run Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart?

TLZ

Banned
I like the fact there's barely any difference in loading. But I dislike the fact copying to external is extremely slow. That'll also mean installing to external will be extremely slow.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It obviously didnt do much since a slower off the shelf WD 3.2 gb/s SSD ran R&C just as good as the internal SSD.
Both the internal SSD and any external SSD connect to the same SSD Controller which goes through the same I/O Complex in the APU… so, your argument here makes little sense.

The most console warty argument one can take out of it (ignoring any performance dips in the game the article seems to mention, etc…) is that Insomniac has not tapped out the disk yet throughput wise (which they admitted early on). Free to stretch it into “Cerny over specced the SSD by 2+ times, what a fool”, it kind of helps framing the posts and posters that do so.
Edit: oh well, speaking of which…
The cache scrubbers made the 3.2 gb/s WD run at 10 gb/s. Cerny magic!

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Both the internal SSD and any external SSD connect to the same SSD Controller which goes through the same I/O Complex in the APU… so, your argument here makes little sense.

The most console warty argument one can take out of it (ignoring any performance dips in the game the article seems to mention, etc…) is that Insomniac has not tapped out the disk yet throughput wise (which they admitted early on). Free to stretch it into “Cerny over specced the SSD by 2+ times, what a fool”, it kind of helps framing the posts and posters that do so.

But this is the game everybody was saying wasn’t possible on other hardware. Go back look at the threads on it, no game this gen will fully utilise that speed on the SSD, loading will always be quicker with a faster SSD but in game 5.5gb per second of data is a huge amount of data and unless we expecting game sizes to massivelay expand then it will more likely be next gen that we see that kinda speed utilised other than loading

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Great! So PS5's awesome SSD controller I/O is so good it can make slow PC SSDs work just as well as internal. No wonder a 3.2 gb/s SSD did just as well for R&C for loading and gameplay. Dont need an external 5.5gb/s SSD after all.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The devs says that this game is scratching the performance of the SSD/IO and some expect to only run on PS5 SSD or a 7gb SSD. If it would fully utilize it then yes i would believe that until proven wrong.
Which devs say Internal only or 7GB/s drive.
Considering Cerny has said 5.5GB/s is sufficient?
Hell Cerny has a SN850 himself which doesnt actually hit 7GB/s.

You think Sony is going to backtrack the whole 5.5GB/s thing?

Zannrebel

SSD is just on part of the puzzle. The another big part is the I/O Complex and the systematic elimination of with all bottlencks. (File I/O, mapping and co)

1584564085_849_PS5-SSD-a-master-pillar-in-the-architecture-of-the.jpg

MS didnt remove this bottlenecks.

Last big part is lossless decompression Kraken + Oodle with way faster than ZLIB.

ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart.gif

We haven't seen anything similar to anything or anywhere until today, instant charging times in a completely new (asset) world with consistent quality. And we will that not see on Series X/S. That's why developers have called the PS5 SSD/iO complex a gamechanger
Unreal Engine 5 says hello

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Which devs say Internal only or 7GB/s drive.
Considering Cerny has said 5.5GB/s is sufficient?
Hell Cerny has a SN850 himself which doesnt actually hit 7GB/s.

You think Sony is going to backtrack the whole 5.5GB/s thing?
People are going back to the Cerny presentation where he had the SSD slide and talked about PC SSDs in fall 2020 hitting 7 gb/s, so get ready for compatible SSDs. So it was hinted to get a working PC SSD, you might need to top up to a 7 gb/s model.

Now what Cerny could had said is PC SSDs at 5.5 gb/s like the PS5 SSD would be fine and coming out (or maybe already out at the time?), or that slower speed SSDs work fine too. But he overshot it at 7 gb/s for the power halo effect.

It's like a hardware maker saying their system uses USB 3. But if you want to add external storage, USB 4 devices are coming out end of year. But in reality, turns out USB 2 devices work just as good. But not until 10 months later did people find out USB 2 actually works after all.

He's the chief engineer. He knows what works or not. But not once did he say slower ones work fine.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
People are going back to the Cerny presentation where he had the SSD slide and talked about PC SSDs in fall 2020 hitting 7 gb/s, so get ready for compatible SSDs. So it was hinted to get a working PC SSD, you might need to top up to a 7 gb/s model.

Now what Cerny could had said is PC SSDs at 5.5 gb/s like the PS5 SSD would be fine and coming out (or maybe already out at the time?), or that slower speed SSDs work fine too. But he overshot it at 7 gb/s for the power halo effect.

It's like a hardware maker saying their system uses USB 3. But if you want to add external storage, USB 4 devices are coming out end of year. But in reality, turns out USB 2 devices work just as good. But not until 10 months later did people find out USB 2 actually works after all.

He's the chief engineer. He knows what works or not. But not once did he say slower ones work fine.

Because you don't want to give developers the opportunity to also have to take into account people who are going to buy lower spec ssds. There must be room in the future to improve, so you need a ssd that has a faster read speed, but still has to go past the I/O complex to take advantage of all the features.

Why do people expect that games had already reached their peak in terms of I/O bandwidth? Even Insomniac has long indicated that they are just at the beginning of what they can do and have plenty of headroom for future games. From this, you could already tell just fine that they were far from making full use of the PS5 hardware and that's what I think is impressive, because Rift Apart is an impressive game.

But this is the game everybody was saying wasn’t possible on other hardware. Go back look at the threads on it, no game this gen will fully utilise that speed on the SSD, loading will always be quicker with a faster SSD but in game 5.5gb per second of data is a huge amount of data and unless we expecting game sizes to massivelay expand then it will more likely be next gen that we see that kinda speed utilised other than loading

What do you mean by other hardware? HDD...yes that's what everyone knows already.

Topher Topher Aah yeah, i'm just waiting for that moment, when MS is going to hype the shit out with their DirectStorage API, Velocity Arch and all their fancy names for this. They will shill the fuck out of it as if MS invented it and since it's coming to pc...that's the time it's good but PS5's I/O complex is "overengineered, no one will use it, no game will ever use it".

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Imagine beating your chest and punching the air thinking that Ratchet & Clank has tapped out the PS5 and Cerny was telling porkies at what the I/O could do. Hasn't even been a year yet. Glorious GAF at it's finest

People act as if by december 31 this year. It will be the end of the current gen hardware and we can start pre-ordering the PS6.

Why people care so much about the PS5 hardware and what it shows. The PS5 is so far the only console that has shown us next-gen games in its first year.

Xbox has yet to show anything that was really impressive. Halo isn't going to do that and the new Forza doesn't do much more than whatever the previous Forza did only with higher details.

GHG

Gold Member
Imagine beating your chest and punching the air thinking that Ratchet & Clank has tapped out the PS5 and Cerny was telling porkies at what the I/O could do. Hasn't even been a year yet. Glorious GAF at it's finest

It's the only piece of FUD they have left to cling on to considering 9.23764 TF was bullshit along with RDNA 1.1987, the coil whine campaign was unsuccessful, Austin Evans got debunked, "CBOMB" is no longer a thing and both Deathloop and Kena have arrived with critical acclaim.

As with all those things, it won't be long until they are forced to move on from this. All it takes is the release of one game to put one of these slower PCIe 4 drives SSD's on it's knees and they are back to square one again.

I don't know why people waste their time engaging with this nonsense anymore when history has taught everybody that all you need to do is sit back and wait.

Last edited:

AMC124c41

Neo Member
No one is ignoring it. The entire point is that if the I/O was enough as these tests suggest then why go with a 5.5 GBps SSD instead of a slower 3.2 GBps ssd that can do the same thing with the help of the I/O.

They had no problems going with a slower RAM bandwidth. Shouldve gone with a slower SSD and faster ram bandwidth or bigger SSD.
The SSD speed does matter though. I have a Samsung 970 Evo and a 980 Pro in my PC and I can tell you I can notice the difference between the two :) I'm surprised there isn't a bigger difference in DF's tests between the tested SSDs but that does not automatically mean that the one Sony used is useless considering how early we are in the generation and how game development has been messed with by Covid. I for one I'm happy that both new consoles have SSDs in them and I'm excited to see how devs start taking advantage of them in the coming years.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Actually FS was damn impressive and by far the best looking console game this year.

The console itself isn't doing much impressive things then showing some vfx, planes. Without the internet connection, FS doesn't look so hot anymore. FS was completely hyped up around the clouds, but ultimately that's not what you play FS for.

I played FS2020 on pc, it's playable on Series S and it doesn't shown anything that is not possible on something else. FS doesn't even require a fast SSD or something to play.

Exactly the online streaming tech was the only next gen software we've seen this gen.

Something that is not handled by the console, pc or whatever, but your internet connection. So it could easily been done on the PS5 is MS wants to bring it to the PS5.

Riky

$MSFT
The console itself isn't doing much impressive things then showing some vfx, planes. Without the internet connection, FS doesn't look so hot anymore. FS was completely hyped up around the clouds, but ultimately that's not what you play FS for.

I played FS2020 on pc, it's playable on Series S and it doesn't shown anything that is not possible on something else. FS doesn't even require a fast SSD or something to play.

Something that is not handled by the console, pc or whatever, but your internet connection. So it could easily been done on the PS5 is MS wants to bring it to the PS5.

Well that's hardly a revelation since the PS5 is a next gen console.
Point is the last gen versions had to be canned, next gen only for a reason.
There is nothing in Ratchet & Clank that couldn't be done somewhere else either, we see a test that shows going all the way down to 3200mbs has no impact whatsoever on performance so it's fair to say going to 2400mbs would have very little or none at all either.

What is with this false narrative that somehow the IO part of the equation is something new? Both Sony and Microsoft have harped on the IO aspect of their SSD implementation since they started talking about their SSD tech. And you guys are just now realizing what was being discussed for over a year now?

Jimmy Fallon Hello GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

That is somewhat Sony's fault for not giving it a marketable name like Velocity Architecture, instead just going with the boring ol' I/O

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
People act as if by december 31 this year. It will be the end of the current gen hardware and we can start pre-ordering the PS6.

Why people care so much about the PS5 hardware and what it shows. The PS5 is so far the only console that has shown us next-gen games in its first year.

Xbox has yet to show anything that was really impressive. Halo isn't going to do that and the new Forza doesn't do much more than whatever the previous Forza did only with higher details.
This thread has nothing to do with Xbox.....why bring it up?

MonarchJT

Banned
This is a first generation game on the PS5, of course it’s not going to be pushing the console to the max. Everyone should know this by now. This test should be redone in about 3 years to really get the right results.

The real problem is the fanboys on each side that either parrot the what the platform holders say or that look for anything to attack.
before you hit the max you will be so fuckin GPU bound as always VFXVeteran VFXVeteran and me tried to told you guys
and in any case I understand that one can always invent novelties but what kind of use people expect is GREATER to change the whole scene in a second? exactly there isn't ...or rather there would be ... change the whole scene with let's say 1.5x more polygons ... but as I said the PS5 gpu would not hold up. Let's face it all the PS5 ssd is great but it is obvious that naming it so much has served to make up for other hw deficits

Last edited:

Darius87

It obviously didnt do much since a slower off the shelf WD 3.2 gb/s SSD ran R&C just as good as the internal SSD.
you realize that PS5 I/O nearly doubles the speed of internal/external SSD? so your slower 3.2GB/s is actually 6.4GB/s expecting that R&C wouldn't run perfectly at this speed is ludicrous.
Great! So PS5's awesome SSD controller I/O is so good it can make slow PC SSDs work just as well as internal. No wonder a 3.2 gb/s SSD did just as well for R&C for loading and gameplay. Dont need an external 5.5gb/s SSD after all.
if you expect all coming years just to play R&C or games prior then you'll be fine, though games evolve throughout the generation.
did you watched road to PS5? Cerny perfectly explained why such speeds is required for next-gen.

This thread in a nutshell.

Member when we had 5 ssd threads a day? I member lol. Time for the i/o to take the wheel now.

Member when Ratchet wasn't possible on pc or any other console? 🤣🤣
i don't know who claimed "it wasn't possible to run on PC and others consoles" it as far as i member argument was "it wasn't possible exactly as it was on PS5" which is true because PC SSD's is limited without decompressors and other ASIC HW and on top on that it underperforms of it's manufacturers estimated speeds because of OS data restrictions, so your PC version of R&C wouldn't be the same as PS5's going thru portal would not be up to 2s and experience would be different.

MonarchJT

Banned
What new reality exactly? The unsurprising notion that a 1st gen PS5 game doesn't max out the PS5? How unsurprising
no no don't play with words))) the new reality is that you don't need any special ssd to run that portal effect...and technically certainly PC and probably Xbox would have zero problem to run it too. which is the opposite of what many fanboys were hoping and screaming for months and months

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
you realize that PS5 I/O nearly doubles the speed of internal/external SSD? so your slower 3.2GB/s is actually 6.4GB/s expecting that R&C wouldn't run perfectly at this speed is ludicrous.

if you expect all coming years just to play R&C or games prior then you'll be fine, though games evolve throughout the generation.

did you watched road to PS5? Cerny perfectly explained why such speeds is required for next-gen.

i don't know who claimed "it wasn't possible to run on PC and others consoles" it as far as i member argument was "it wasn't possible exactly as it was on PS5" which is true because PC SSD's is limited without decompressors and other ASIC HW and on top on that it underperforms of it's manufacturers estimated speeds because of OS data restrictions, so your PC version of R&C wouldn't be the same as PS5's going thru portal would not be up to 2s and experience would be different.

stop it PC use CPU to decompress CPU that are LOTS more powerful than those in the consoles and have certainly spare power to do it

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This thread has nothing to do with Xbox.....why bring it up?

Sorry that someone mentioned your precious console🥲 It's never about another console only when it suits you guys.

before you hit the max you will be so fuckin GPU bound as always VFXVeteran VFXVeteran and me tried to told you guys
and in any case I understand that one can always invent novelties but what kind of use people expect is GREATER to change the whole scene in a second? exactly there isn't ...or rather there would be ... change the whole scene with let's say 1.5x more polygons ... but as I said the PS5 gpu would not hold up. Let's face it all the PS5 ssd is great but it is obvious that naming it so much has served to make up for other hw deficits

Aah shit, this guy with his shit again. Frustrated again?

What new reality exactly? The unsurprising notion that a 1st gen PS5 game doesn't max out the PS5? How unsurprising

I was thinking exactly the same thing. This guy is literally a shit fly.

no no don't play with words))) the new reality is that you don't need any special ssd to run that portal effect...and technically certainly PC and probably Xbox would have zero problem to run it too. which is the opposite of what many fanboys were hoping and screaming for months and months

As if the PS5 has a special SSD? The chips are just nothing special, it's all about the I/O complex, not the SSD itself. And since you still don't know it. The added SSD need to access the I/O complex to take advantage of all the features. It is totally irrelevant in this case that a slower ssd can run it because it gets help from the I/O complex and THAT is what matters. You and many others still don't understand and just want to push your own gut feelings as facts.

Fortunately you are not an engineer otherwise you would be someone who had not thought ahead to the future. You would have put in a 1GB/s SSD and said (this is fine for the next 6 years). Something about being future proof and having headroom for future games? You stare purely blind on launch titles namely but that is totally irrelevant to the future.

Last edited:

What play on words exactly? The reality is what I posted. :messenger_neutral:

Why even listen to fanboys? There was Xbox fanboys claiming the Series X would be a generation ahead with those extra two tuddies, or marketing actually saying its 25tf when raytracing, but you don't see folk clinging to those in the way posters like yourself cling to PS5 fanboy pre launch hype. The gen has barely started for either console, stop getting ahead of yourself

Md Ray

What an idiotic conclusion to come to.
stop it PC use CPU to decompress CPU that are LOTS more powerful than those in the consoles and have certainly spare power to do it
What? You probably haven't heard of RTX IO which brings GPU-based decompression because CPUs alone can't handle everything even on PC.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What play on words exactly? The reality is what I posted. :messenger_neutral:

Why even listen to fanboys? There was Xbox fanboys claiming the Series X would be a generation ahead with those extra two tuddies, or marketing actually saying its 25tf when raytracing, but you don't see folk clinging to those in the way posters like yourself cling to PS5 fanboy pre launch hype. The gen has barely started for either console, stop getting ahead of yourself

I bet he will ignore that was ever said, what all xbox fanboys do after almost a year.

You don't want to use your CPU for those task if you can offload it to some other silicon. Lol about what CPU are you talking about? Your CPU in your pc is doing way more in the background when you are gaming then these same CPU's in the consoles.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Sorry that someone mentioned your precious console🥲 It's never about another console only when it suits you guys.

Aah shit, this guy with his shit again. Frustrated again?

I was thinking exactly the same thing. This guy is literally a shit fly.

As if the PS5 has a special SSD? The chips are just nothing special, it's all about the I/O complex, not the SSD itself. And since you still don't know it. The added SSD need to access the I/O complex to take advantage of all the features. It is totally irrelevant in this case that a slower ssd can run it because it gets help from the I/O complex and THAT is what matters. You and many others still don't understand and just want to push your own gut feelings as facts.

Fortunately you are not an engineer otherwise you would be someone who had not thought ahead to the future. You would have put in a 1GB/s SSD and said (this is fine for the next 6 years). Something about being future proof and having headroom for future games? You stare purely blind on launch titles namely but that is totally irrelevant to the future.
you and many other just drink the kool aid too much ..topic closed this test done by DF it only shows that the ssd (contrary to what was said before) can also be decidedly slower. When someone proves that with the i/o, or of the PS5 there will be that they can not be done in anything else so I'll come back to apologize .... in the meantime maybe it would be time for some of you to learn to do the same.

Mister Wolf

Direct Storage cant come soon enough. I dont know what's taking developers so long to start using it or at least state that they will be using it. PC is seriously behind these consoles in I/O. I used to argue but once it was explained to me now I understand. It was never about the speed of the SSD because the I/O was the bottleneck all along. As VFX used to say we won't even come close to using the full capacity of any of these NVME for data streaming this console generation, even the slowest of them because the GPU will become the bottleneck long before that happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom