• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 - PC Tech Review - DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction Deep Dive

hlm666

I wonder if we will ever get another bleeding edge leap like this from cdpr since they are switching to Unreal 5.
What even is the next game in the near future that pushes visuals this hard. Alan Wake 2 is the only thing that comes to mind.
They can still go all in on the raytracing. There's a little indie game called Desordre using ue5 and the dev has implemented all nvidias rtx stuff alongside lumen and working on adding a full path traced mode next and probably RR seeing he also added shader execution reordering aswell a patch or 2 ago.

edit: found the video, ue5 with path tracing.

Last edited:

CGNoire

They can still go all in on the raytracing. There's a little indie game called Desordre using ue5 and the dev has implemented all nvidias rtx stuff alongside lumen and working on adding a full path traced mode next and probably RR seeing he also added shader execution reordering aswell a patch or 2 ago.

edit: found the video, ue5 with path tracing.

Holy Portal Ripoff.

Nvidia claims the Optical Flow Accelerator inside Ampere GPUs is not fast enough. I guess it would work but would deliver less of a speedup. Of course Nvidia wants you to buy their latest GPUs.
Fair enough but when did they backtrack on dlss3? Pretty sure you couldn't use it unless you had a 4000 card initially.

draliko

AMD just develop what the vendors want, if Sony or ms want to push raytracing in next gen, AMD will push RT. They make the most money via consoles so they'll cater to them and offload r&d cost between them, why spend 1bln in r&d when you can offload those to your clients?

john2gr

Fair enough but when did they backtrack on dlss3? Pretty sure you couldn't use it unless you had a 4000 card initially.

NVIDIA never backtracked on DLSS 3 (unless you read sites with misleading information, so this should be a lesson to avoid them in the future). DLSS 3 Frame Generation was always exclusive to the RTX 40 series. DLSS 3 Super Resolution has always been available for all RTX GPUs.

FireFly

The DLSS version number apparently covers all of their upscaling technologies. DLSS 3.0 was DLSS 2.0 + Frame Gen, and Ampere didn't support the latter. DLSS 3.5 is DLSS 2.0 + Frame Gen + Ray Reconstruction, and Ampere supports everything except FG again.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The ghosting and the rasterization or w/e DF calls it is far worse then shown in the video. It applies to a lot of npc models, weapons, etc. It's not something you just deal with it. Flickering is far less than what RR offers. Also, reflections are not supposed to be that crystal clear if accuracy is what they're sweating over unless cars and roads are made out of fucking mirrors.
It's true but as I said in my findings, turning PT and RR on and off seems to fix most of those where I went back in and it's a lot better.

And updating the 2 older DLSS3 files to 3.5 helped too.

It is odd that they would ship the game with the 3.1 DLL's but luckily it's an easy fix to overwrite them.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The IQ in this game is pretty bad honestly. Too much ghosting, smearing. Hair fizzles and the blurriness path tracing introduces at times makes it even more jarring.

Playing with DLSS Quality/Ray Reconstruction and Frame Generation at 3440x1440. The game looks magnificent but is undermined by all the artifacts and image quality issues inherent to DLSS. Stacking frame gen, ray reconstruction, and upscaling is just a bad mixture because all their problems add up.

What's even worse is that the shit built-in TAA isn't much better.

Last edited:
Sucks I can't enjoy this goodness on my 4090 yet until my CP2077 mods update.

I can't play without mods so i wait for mod authors to issue updates to their mods so that they don't crash with 2.0 😢

Skifi28

I liked the improvements, but like all new tech stuff it's 2 steps forwards 1 back. I'm still going to keep away from Overdrive seeing all the issues, maybe in a few months.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
YOu kinda have to do it every time you restart the game. It seems RR keeps resetting for me to on by default. Every graphical setting i pick, RR sets to on, even when I put it on off, applying sets it to on again lmao. I swear, CDPR are really bad when it comes to these sorta things.
It works well when it works and it's not perfect but damn it all if you don't want it right the first time.

I get them credit and some slack because I'm sure they will address it.

Bojji

Dlss gets better and better with time so I'm sure ray Reconstruction will be the same.

Only fsr still sucks...

Buggy Loop

AMD just develop what the vendors want, if Sony or ms want to push raytracing in next gen, AMD will push RT. They make the most money via consoles so they'll cater to them and offload r&d cost between them, why spend 1bln in r&d when you can offload those to your clients?

An architecture just doesn’t happen overnight because you want something. AMD also has interest to a drag console APUs in a direction that also benefit them for PC and professionals/servers. If Mr Cerny wants a full custom chip like old days, it’ll cost a pretty penny. We won’t see those anymore.

Even if AMD went full RT tomorrow, there’s two generations to catch up, well 3 if you consider that they would have to catch up to Nvidia 5000 series.

Just won’t happen easily. They have to ditch the pipeline and start from scratch.

Intel just didn’t land on good RT and ML by luck, they had RT on Larrabee in 2009, although tech as moved way beyond those early attempts, they’re not total strangers to the problem.

What blows my mind is AMD participating in the DXR consortium with Microsoft and Nvidia, looked at early Nvidia talks about where it should be heading, AMD agreed to all of it, as DXR is basically Nvidia’s homework, they saw Turing’s solution, and somehow they managed to fumble around all this time. It’s like the student at the back of the class who was sleeping during the whole exam. There’s no excuses. Intel came late, 10 minutes before end of exam and nailed it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

The whole worlds in games are fake, can you imagine?

John Cena Omg GIF

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Tried this with my 4090 and the difference is indeed HUGE this is a big fucking deal. The game finally really looks like true 4k. The smear/blur is gone. Outstanding job from Nvidia and CDPR.

Rich said in the newest DF direct that he would hope MS would go with Nvidia for next gen. It is not impossible but would be pricey of course.

MS was thinking of switching to ARM processors. AMD's strength is how they combine a CPU and GPU in one single chip. Once you switch to arm, there's no reason to stick with AMD for providing the graphics when Nvidia has a much better product. But it's not going to be a cheap solution, that's where AMD can compete with a lesser product.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does the CP update fix settings that did nothing whether low or high or how if you're in an area's room the next room perfectly visible from the open doors doesn't have all its detail in or the constant pop in of everything as you walk around, from random decals on surfaces to actual objects?

Kenpachii

not going to lie, just driving with a car in the night at afterlife and shine with your headlights on the pedestians with all the shadows going over teh wall and moving with it, is just amazing too see.

After playing cyberpunk, every other game lightning and visuals just feel incredible flat. This is a real jump forwards visually.

NA4erUK.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom