• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]Cyberpunk 2077 Ray Tracing: Overdrive Technology Preview on RTX 4090

CGNoire

Played some yesterday. It is chunky looking. Very grainy resolve especially on wet road.
The difference is hard to notice without switching it on and off. honestly, it should be a key bind toggle.
only serves to realize how good raster techniques are nowadays.
I feel like a scientist looking around "hmmmm there is a shadow here as there should be"
Its biggest effect should be on dynamic objects not the enviroment.

I can't remember if it was this thread or another but I was saying I felt like it wasn't working properly for me.

Is this bugged out? I know there is a toggle button but it feels like there isn't much difference. I can tell it looks better at times but not as much as what I've seen online. Is there some settings I need to turn off? Should I still had stuff like AO/Shadows on at the same time as RTX?

I was expecting a bigger difference over Psycho RTX. If I look closely I can see some things that look better. I redownloaded the game just to test out Overdrive and verified my game. Maybe it's an issue with my old save and I should try a new save? I'll try take some screenshots.

Last edited:

GHG

Heard you guys wanted more pathtracing bounces so theres a mod for that for even more accuracy, if your gpu can handle it ofc :)

[/URL]

Gave this a go and yep, as expected, it's brutal.

The default path tracing settings is 2B (Bounces), 2R (Rays).

2B3R:
T5w74C.png

2B4R:
T5wprv.png

3B3R:
T5w4b2.png

4B4R:
T5wON5.png

Going to try 2B3R and see how it performs outside of the benchmark.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Gave this a go and yep, as expected, it's brutal.

The default path tracing settings is 2B (Bounces), 2R (Rays).

2B3R:
T5w74C.png

2B4R:
T5wprv.png

3B3R:
T5w4b2.png

4B4R:
T5wON5.png

Going to try 2B3R and see how it performs outside of the benchmark.
Do you see any differences? The requirements are heavy.

Banned
Heard you guys wanted more pathtracing bounces so theres a mod for that for even more accuracy, if your gpu can handle it ofc :)

[/URL]

CDPR really should add options like these into the game itself so you don't have to look for mods to do simply changes like these.

not only would that make it run better on low end cards with the reduced bounces and rays, but it also future proofs the game for next generation cards and beyond.

who knows, 2 or 3 generations down the line, the XX90 class cards might be able to easily run this with 16 bounces and 4x the rays

Roni

Gold Member
CDPR really should add options like these into the game itself so you don't have to look for mods to do simply changes like these.

not only would that make it run better on low end cards with the reduced bounces and rays, but it also future proofs the game for next generation cards and beyond.

who knows, 2 or 3 generations down the line, the XX90 class cards might be able to easily run this with 16 bounces and 4x the rays

The whole game here is cutting off as many people as possible to incentivize people to get out there and buy 40xx cards. They're not interested in doing what's right, they're interested in making as much money as possible right away

TIGERCOOL

been enjoying looking around town at 30-40 fps on my 3080 (12gb). It doesn't feel as awful as I expected, just turned motion blur to high and I got used to it pretty quickly. I'm upscaling to near 4k and using performance dlss and that has given me the best visual to performance ratio. It's really impressive to see in motion. Lighting makes a huge difference for immersion, adds depth to everything, and covers up some of the subpar assets in the game. This will be standard in 5 years.

CGNoire

It seems increasing the number of rays creates the more pleasing effect.

Extra bounces look better of course but extra rays makes the light balance and exsposure look far more like the original visual style in areas while including all the PT enhancements. Of course I want both but ray increases is what ill probably go with to start.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

Planning for RTX 5090. I wish they'd just release the 5090 Ti and be done with it, so I can just fucking cop the top end and walk away for a few years.
However, I am starting a new AM5 Build with a 5090/Ti in mind.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Have been finally tuning the 7800X3D PBO settings and after 2-3 hours of fine tuning I retested the bench. Basically I just did a generic no thinking -10 offset on all the cores. Since then I've actually spent time with this thing like someone reviewing it.

Again, this is maxed out with PT and DLSS3 ON

BEFORE
benchhxiia.jpg

AFTER
20230416_102213k4cyd.jpg

RagnarokIV

Have been finally tuning the 7800X3D PBO settings and after 2-3 hours of fine tuning I retested the bench. Basically I just did a generic no thinking -10 offset on all the cores. Since then I've actually spent time with this thing like someone reviewing it.

Again, this is maxed out with PT and DLSS3 ON

BEFORE
benchhxiia.jpg

AFTER
20230416_102213k4cyd.jpg
Is that a samsung g5? If so, how is the monitor?

Banned
RT in Cyberpunk was apparently patched to work with GTX10 and 16 series cards a while ago, this means pathtracing will also work on them

anyone with a 1080ti that could test this? would be a really fun experiment imo to see if the 1080ti can beat AMD 6000 cards.
with the 1x rays and 1x bounce mod enabled you might even get playable framerates out of the 1080ti

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

Gotta love the modding. I must say that after the setting that CDP enabled by default (2x2), mostly everything over that setting looks like diminished returns.

Meaning that if it looks this good with that "limited" setting, it should stay that way. More than maybe 2 or 3 bounces is way overkill in almost all instances unless it's a game about lighting. If that was the case then I'd like to see a game like QUBE use this with maybe more than 2.

It should also be encouraging to see this look as good as it does without needing more unnecessary HW overhead when most people will be impressed by what is being offered in CP2077's implemention.

Last edited:

Banned
Gotta love the modding. I must say that after the setting that CDP enabled by default (2x2), mostly everything over that setting looks like diminished returns.

with bounces yes, but a higher ray count per pixel does help with noise and speed.

one issue RT lighting still has is fast changes to the lighting, be it due to a moving object or a sudden change like turning lights on and off,
both of those issues are happening due to the low ray count games still have to use due to the hardware limitations of today.
the denoising and accumulation needs to work overtime with stuff like this currently.

if you increase the rays shot out per pixel to 4x or 8x, these issues should be way less prominent.
eventually when cards can handle maybe 16x or 32x, you definitely want to have the ability to go back and use that hardware power if possible.

this is why IMO developers should include options like that going forward.
due to how seamlessly scalable raytracing is, they should take advantage of that by making their games future proof.
not only that, the amount of rays being shot into the scene scales with output resolutions, so if you use your 4090 on a 1440p display, you will need to resort to supersampling currently to get as clean of an image as you would get if you ran the game on a 4k display, which isn't optimal imo.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

with bounces yes, but a higher ray count per pixel does help with noise and speed.

one issue RT lighting still has is fast changes to the lighting, be it due to a moving object or a sudden change like turning lights on and off,
both of those issues are happening due to the low ray count games still have to use due to the hardware limitations of today.
the denoising and accumulation needs to work overtime with stuff like this currently.

if you increase the rays shot out per pixel to 4x or 8x, these issues should be way less prominent.
eventually when cards can handle maybe 16x or 32x, you definitely want to have the ability to go back and use that hardware power if possible.

this is why IMO developers should include options like that going forward.
due to how seamlessly scalable raytracing is, they should take advantage of that by making their games future proof.
not only that, the amount of rays being shot into the scene scales with output resolutions, so if you use your 4090 on a 1440p display, you will need to resort to supersampling currently to get as clean of an image as you would get if you ran the game on a 4k display, which isn't optimal imo.
I don't disagree. It's hard to notice anything unless you really pause. It's the HW requirement which makes you appreciate what has already been achieved.

Banned
I don't disagree. It's hard to notice anything unless you really pause. It's the HW requirement which makes you appreciate what has already been achieved.

in many scenarios that might be true, but the low ray count is still resulting in artifacts.
the same was true in Portal RTX.

you still have very noticeable shimmering in Cyberpunk, and there are noticeable trails behind fast moving objects.
and once the RTX5090 is out you'll want the ability to play the game with double or even tripple the ray count it currently uses.

Top Bottom