• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Special: Steam Deck - Spec Updates, Performance, SteamOS, Compatibility + More

Kenpachii

I am alex. I wanna have one for the technical curiosity. I can't wait to get my hands on it and toggle with settings to get the best solution going. Always liked that.

Kenpachii

Good idea, steam needs to implement profiles for 30 and 60 fps. So u can just pick and choose and get going for most people.

ethomaz

Banned
The part I found interesting is…

“Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order running at between 30-40fps, Doom Eternal running very closed to a locked 60fps and with less demanding games running at the full 60Hz refresh of the inbuilt display”

That is what I expected… some 30fps games, some 60fps games… forced 60fps with sub800p resolution in others games.

I wanted to just know the profile settings for these 2 games… probably low or a mix of low and mid.

It is very low-end hardware but that is what it is designed to… there is no magic with mobile power limit after all.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Havent watched the video, but Steam giving users the option to make 30/60 fps profiles for it and sharing them on Steam would be pretty dope.

Will e-mail Gaben with this suggestion lol

Yea, i am currently going through the video and frankly they got some good points. And that was also something they mentioned. Would be nice to have community made profiles

Another complain they have which i agree with, is why not go with a bit more premium screen wise or have a premium screen model, for example a screen with vrr on it or even the features of higher hz screens without the need more more hz would be absolutely great. For PC gamers that sit in a higher segment going back to a vsync type of solution isn't something they would want to do and tearing will be hard to deal with.

Last edited:

Hugare

Yea, i am currently going through the video and frankly they got some good points.

Another complain they have which i agree with, is why not go with a bit more premium screen wise or have a premium screen model, for example a screen with vrr on it or even the features of higher hz screens without the need more more hz would be absolutely great. For PC gamers that sit in a higher segment going back to a vsync type of solution isn't something they would want to do and tearing will be hard to deal with.
Probably because they are already selling all models while losing money

They already have a more "premium", expensive version for enthusiasts.

Making the hardware even more expensive would cost them too much

Kenpachii

Probably because they are already selling all models while losing money

They already have a more "premium", expensive version for enthusiasts.

Making the hardware even more expensive would cost them too much

Yea price is something to take into account they also mention that, but still vrr i would say should be a minimum at this point in time. A handheld is as good as the screen is and frankly screen needs to be popping. if a oled screen / vrr / 120 hz screen would cost them 150 more or something, i am sure people could be interested in it.

I personally think they should have ditched the low end model and make a actual premium version.

jaysius

Banned
Wow, another fucking speculative video on this. This isn't analyzing shit, this is crystal ball bullshit.

Yes you can make an equivalent computer, but who knows, maybe Valve has done something special with this one.

Kenpachii

Good talk, just finished it lots of good points they are addressing.

- There test with a 4900hs seems promising in control and jedi and doom eternal. It really feels like the handheld will pretty much play anything as of now.
- How valve sells this thing is interesting, its not really going for people outside of the steam echo system, it feels like they want users in there echo system to push outside of it with it. because of the way how they sell it ( steam account + gotta own games to even buy one )
- steam can try to dig up a new market if they want as nitnendo failed to deliver a propper switch pro and if you look at nintendo's pr they are feeling the negative reaction towards it big time.
- bandwidth is impressive nothing on the market out like this it seems like just yet
- 15w is going to be the real limitation here. its not alot to work with and that will cripple it. however how much that will be we will have to see.
- screen is dissapointing for higher end pc gamers, i agree with this. VRR / gsync / freesync basically should have been a thing on the screen as bare minimum, oled or higher hz would have been nice with low ms on it in a more premium model
- profiles for games for 30 and 60 fps would be nice, but user made. it will make it more accessable and easier for people that just want to play a game and not hassle with setting every moment, but the option to change whatever u want needs to be there
- how will windows recognize the drivers needed when u dual boot for example or when u install windows, will valve provide those drivers and support if people opt for that otherwise it could be severely crippled.
- ssd not being replacable easy has probably to do with the smaller form that everything needs to be tight together. They will look when they get it, on how hard it is to reach. Maybe the nvme drive is costum made entirely.
- doesn't seem like steam is selling it through traditional channels which means big appeal like the switch and market for gamers outside of steam echo system will be minimal.
- thing seems to be sold out entirely for the first few months if not first half year.
- suspend and resume technology for steam deck is something that's in the works.
- the demo's showcased are all well working proton ports so they perform optimal. it will be interesting to see how games that are not on that list function.
- proton needs to step upwards and start to natively add pc shops like epic games or blizzard or uplay in order to be taken serious.
- the 1000 dollar handhelds or tablets for gaming aren't interesting to most people because at that point u are better of straight up buying a laptop, the price point of the steamdeck makes it really interesting over laptops which hasn't happened before.
- comparing the steam deck to psp and vita isnt'much interesting because both lacked support, something steam deck doesn't have as its a PC by nature and has on day one already loads of content on it.

All with all i agree with there takes in general. I for one will be fiddling around with games trying to make it run the best. love that shit. Main appeal to me and it seems like they also feel the same way about it. The question however is will i actually play games on it, i am not so sure about that. Because where i consume games i have a better device ready to go.

Last edited:

GHG

Going to be hilarious if this comes out and then wipes the floor with all the negative assumptions/speculations they are making.

How you can attempt to "analyse" off-screen footage and do framerate/performance guesstimates when we don't have any currently available equivalent hardware is beyond me.

rnlval

Ryzen 7 4800H (35W-to-45W, up to 4.3 Ghz boost) has eight Zen 2 CPU cores has a higher power consumption while Deck has four Zen 2 CPU cores.
Ryzen 7 4800U (15W-to-25W, up to 4.2 Ghz boost) also has eight Zen 2 CPU cores.

SO-DIMM normal DDR4 has higher power consumption when compared to the low voltage LPDDR4 variant.

Removing four Zen 2 CPU cores can yield a higher TDP budget for iGPU.
Limiting CPU boost clocks to 3.5 Ghz can yield a higher TDP budget for iGPU.

Last edited:

Zannegan

steam can try to dig up a new market if they want as nitnendo failed to deliver a propper switch pro and if you look at nintendo's pr they are feeling the negative reaction towards it big time
Kind of off topic, but can this be true? It would be nice, but I always figured Nintendo sat impervious to criticism behind their shield of money. Interesting.

Thanks for the summary. I'm still just a few minutes in, but I like their chatter.

Last edited:

rnlval

Wow, another fucking speculative video on this. This isn't analyzing shit, this is crystal ball bullshit.

Yes you can make an equivalent computer, but who knows, maybe Valve has done something special with this one.
To allocate a higher TDP budget for the GPU, Digital Foundry needs to disable four CPU cores and limit the CPU boost modes to 3.5Ghz.

TDP balance needs to shift towards GPU bias. Steam Deck's 15 watts budget has a GPU bias.

Last edited:

Zannegan

“Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order running at between 30-40fps, Doom Eternal running very closed to a locked 60fps and with less demanding games running at the full 60Hz refresh of the inbuilt display”

That is what I expected… some 30fps games, some 60fps games… forced 60fps with sub800p resolution in others games.

I wanted to just know the profile settings for these 2 games… probably low or a mix of low and mid.

It is very low-end hardware but that is what it is designed to… there is no magic with mobile power limit after all.
For some reason, I could have sworn that we'd heard it was running on medium (Control) and high (Star Wars) settings at that resolution. Could well be misremembering though.

Great Hair

Banned
vVTzMqJ.png

Someone threating them? in the background (see the reflection!). Call the cops!
fNhn3LK.png
G3SxRIY.png

2C34xHs.png

yEPZrQh.png

Last edited:

drotahorror

I thought there was going to be a hands-on video today. Does a podcast deserve much hype? Should just be a digital foundry community thread for somethin like this.

RobRSG

I thought there was going to be a hands-on video today. Does a podcast deserve much hype? Should just be a digital foundry community thread for somethin like this.

There’s another video from IGN. There Valve states that the target is 800p 30hz.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Kind of off topic, but can this be true? It would be nice, but I always figured Nintendo sat impervious to criticism behind their shield of money. Interesting.

Thanks for the summary. I'm still just a few minutes in, but I like their chatter.

Who knows, the thing isn't exactly buyable for people outside of the PC gaming community as valve focuses on that.

I think valve's main goal isn't nintendo, is to push people out of windows echo system and try to create a valid alternative. Its no secret valve feels threatened already for years by microsoft.

As many PC gamers own nintendo handhelds, and the steam deck being exactly what a PC gamer wants out of a handheld. it could very well mean it will attract a lot of sales and take a chunk of nintendo's market. Nitnendo failing to generate any hype around its oled model isn't helping either.

However will it attract non pc gamer nintendo fans, probably not because of the hard to even buy one reason.

Ryzen 7 4800H (35W-to-45W, up to 4.3 Ghz boost) has eight Zen 2 CPU cores has a higher power consumption while Deck has four Zen 2 CPU cores.
Ryzen 7 4800U (15W-to-25W, up to 4.2 Ghz boost) also has eight Zen 2 CPU cores.

SO-DIMM normal DDR4 has higher power consumption when compared to the low voltage LPDDR4 variant.

Removing four Zen 2 CPU cores can yield a higher TDP budget for iGPU.
Limiting CPU boost clocks to 3.5 Ghz can yield a higher TDP budget for iGPU.

Alex made also good arguments that some effects will hit the power draw harder while others don't. this is why lowering some effects in games could mean a lot for performance at low tdp budgets at little to no visual trade off.
Because if TDP halfs with just one or two effects disabled, u could put that stuff in other solutions to increase visuals or performance dramatically. Profiles need to happen.

Last edited:

"Practically speaking, that makes it a substantial amount stronger than the Switch, allowing it to run modern games impressively well – as a point of reference, I was able to play Jedi Fallen Order on an in-development Steam Deck at “High” graphical settings with little-to-no issue"

Fredrik

Good talk, some ups and downs, mostly downs from John, he was kinda ranting at times, but they were still all interested in it. Agreed on the timing, just perfect.

Rich doing the frame counting from pr material was kinda nuts, 60fps Doom Eternal was pretty nice to see, Control at 30fps seemed doable, 60fps at the isometric titles (Hades and Disco Elysium?), lots of positives there. Star Wars seemed the worst here, 40ish fps, no good, needed a lock.

Disappointing to hear that Windows might not even get drivers though. That sucks. No Gamepass. No lots of stuff. It just sucks. I hope MS realize this might be a nice unit for their fans as well so they help get the needed drivers. I want to make the ultimate dual boot Steam OS and Windows portable.

Fake

Going to be hilarious if this comes out and then wipes the floor with all the negative assumptions/speculations they are making.

How you can attempt to "analyse" off-screen footage and do framerate/performance guesstimates when we don't have any currently available equivalent hardware is beyond me.

They're using the IGN Steam Deck cover for this. I,G,N.. thats the funny.

Top Bottom