• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] PlayStation VR 2 Spec Analysis + Horizon Call of the Mountain Reaction

It's common knowledge that the Quest 2 is by far the best selling HMD ever, and most of those Quests are used standalone, not as PC headsets. The second best selling headset is the dead PSVR AFAIK. The PSVR2 will probably land in-between those two sales-wise.

Your argument is that the Quest 2 becoming more and more popular is growing the PCVR market. Mine is that that market (which is for tech enthusiasts willing to spend a lot of money) is tiny compared to the standalone Quest market, and the result is that you don't see a lot of really great high-end VR games. PSVR2 might change that. Which is also the argument made in the video.
The quest 2 is the new Wii. People will played a few times and put it aside. Games on quest 2 look like shit in vr. Can't wait for the psvr 2

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The quest 2 is the new Wii. People will played a few times and put it aside. Games on quest 2 look like shit in vr. Can't wait for the psvr 2

Well, they certainly don't look high-end, but I wouldn't say "shit". They are generally pretty high resolution with smooth performance, which I would say are the two most important factors for VR. But of course PSVR2 games will be on a different level entirely.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, they certainly don't look high-end, but I wouldn't say "shit". They are generally pretty high resolution with smooth performance, which I would say are the two most important factors for VR. But of course PSVR2 games will be on a different level entirely.
How does Half Life Alyx look and run on Quest 2?

From pc vr to native quest 2 games is huge disappointment. I hope Sony delivers and invests in more vr games. I'm tired of mini games and vr experiences

Portugeezer

The video is just odd though, considering you can play Alyx on Quest 2 wireless or wired, right now.

He's basically saying he wishes there was no accessible VR for anyone but rich people since it holds back "high end VR." Quest 2 at $300 is not holding back VR. It's growing it in a huge way. The large price tags for people to enter into VR and the wires are literally the main barriers to widespread adoption. Quest tackles both, but ALSO lets you play on PC high end as well.

The video comes off very tone deaf in my opinion.
It doesn't matter if it lets you hook up to a PC because it still sets the bar down to a mobile chip. Developers know exactly what hardware people have and it's low, and would also line up with very low powered PC's; what it doesn't line up with is high end PC gaming. DF's main gripe seemed to be the low specs/popularity of Quest 2 making the bar low.

Will PSVR 2 change that? Who knows, maybe very little, but in the very least PS Studios will be aiming for some high end stuff which is exciting.

skit_data

Sounds like they’re very impressed by the specs. No concerns about cables from their side what I could hear.

I’m also really really curious what the price will be. It can make or break PSVR2.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wasnt being sarcastic. LMAO. I was genuinely curious. I had no idea RE4 was a Oculus Rift exclusive or that Alyx didnt run on Oculus Rift 2.

Ah ok, sorry. :)

But yeah, Alyx is one of the few examples of a high end AAA VR game that couldn't run on something like the Quest, even if severely downgraded. It could on PSVR2 though, and hopefully it will.

And RE4 VR is exclusive to the Quest 2 (not Rift, that's a PC headset) because Facebook paid for it to be ported.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Sounds like they’re very impressed by the specs. No concerns about cables from their side what I could hear.

I’m also really really curious what the price will be. It can make or break PSVR2.
There is no concern about cables because high-end VR quality only works with cable.
Wireless can’t give what DF is expecting.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well RE7 on PSVR looks miles better RE4 VR on Quest 2.

Any VR RE on PC should looks better than RE7 VR.

Obviously. It was a joke based on the fact that RE4 VR doesn't exist on PC.

Quest 2 has significantly better image quality (at least higher resolution) than PSVR though, so it's not as simple as one being better than the other in every way. PSVR2 will blow them both out of the water.

clintar

The what? This has nothing to do with FW, it's a separate VR thing. And there's not much footage of it at all, only like 10 seconds.
There is a footage from Horizen Forbidden West in this video that I have never seen before. 14:37-15:00 and 19:57-20:13. It looked good. Can I not ask about it because it's not the focus of the video? Why do you care if I ask about it?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's common knowledge that the Quest 2 is by far the best selling HMD ever, and most of those Quests are used standalone, not as PC headsets. The second best selling headset is the dead PSVR AFAIK. The PSVR2 will probably land in-between those two sales-wise.

Your argument is that the Quest 2 becoming more and more popular is growing the PCVR market. Mine is that that market (which is for tech enthusiasts willing to spend a lot of money) is tiny compared to the standalone Quest market, and the result is that you don't see a lot of really great high-end VR games. PSVR2 might change that. Which is also the argument made in the video.

To be honest.....Sony needs PSVR2 to sell more than 10 million units to consider it a success now that they've got their feet wet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There is a footage from Horizen Forbidden West in this video that I have never seen before. 14:37-15:00 and 19:57-20:13. It looked good. Can I not ask about it because it's not the focus of the video? Why do you care if I ask about it?
Ah.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hold on........we got people saying the wireless function on the Quest 2 is a must have for PSVR2, yet it can't even play all the high end VR games? 🤔
It's not hard to get. Quests are portable VR consoles with no need to connect to anything else. Naturally using a mobile soc and Android based OS means they run games made specifically for them, homebrewed or through their own store(s), kind of like the Switch, with both multiplatform games and their own exclusives, timed or otherwise (so, no VR platform has every VR game, there will be games only on PSVR2, only on PCVR, only on Quest). Quests can also connect, wired similar to PSVR2 connecting to a PS5, or wirelessly, to a PC (taking the place of a Valve Index, HTC Vive, Reverb G2, Pimax and the like for the user opting for a Quest instead of any of those for their PC) and thus also play any PC VR game, Alyx included. Some trolls will go on about how wireless Quest to PC has some massive lag and compression artifacts but there are plenty through-the-lens videos to see online, the difference is not really visible in gameplay under the correct circumstances (ie, not using shitty routers or older unofficial wireless apps etc.). Naturally wireless can also be achieved in other ways like HTC's wireless adapter for the old Vive and the one that was available for the original Rift which were just fine for their resolution/hz at the time, though technology has improved since and made these obsolete. Still, Sony could do flawless wireless for PSVR2 if they wanted to, without even going through a router but with their own local transmitter/receiver at 5G or a custom WiFi a la WiiU's GamePad (remember how that was actually faster than wired TV connections, you can have that with higher resolution than 480p now), and likely will, either with an adapter or new model eventually, just like most VR companies will for all platforms once it's actually affordable to do so in the quality required. Not that I agree it's a deal breaker to not have wireless, that's trolling too, it's the Quest shill's comfy couch argument vs anything they think can't have it, disingenuously conflating stand alone and wireless into one point when it's really two.

Last edited:

Rudius

There is no concern about cables because high-end VR quality only works with cable.
Wireless can’t give what DF is expecting.
They are all using wired headphones and microphones in that video, for the best possible quality.

Pretty silly to dismiss gaming on Quest while glossing over the reasoning with the anti-metaverse argument when its own library is largely games and even Facebook push deep gaming experiences with deals like RE4VR, even if they also go after the casual crowd with fitness and such crap.
Twitter is only a platform where you post 140 chars blog posts (280 now?). Nothing to see here, there are no implications or effects on society/humans.
Cant See Cheech Marin GIF

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I personally think the next killer app in VR will be when environment mapping is possible and games can dynamicly overlay onto your environment.

When your environment is accurately mapped there will be far less motion sickness because theoretically its would be almost identical to walking about in reality.

Unfortunately this wont be viable for wired devices.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just like Switch and PS5 can both be successful for different reasons, a high end VR like PSVR 2 and alower-end, cheaper and portable VR like Quest 2 can both successfully coexist.

I'll have both.

Same. Really looking forward to some high-end VR, but if I just want to play a few rounds of Beat Saber I'll probably throw on my Quest 2.

I personally think the next killer app in VR will be when environment mapping is possible and games can dynamicly overlay onto your environment.

When your environment is accurately mapped there will be far less motion sickness because theoretically its would be almost identical to walking about in reality.

This is a cool idea, but it seems like the possible gameplay would be pretty limited. More like AR than VR. Puzzle games and such that take place in a limited environment could work well, but you couldn't really do immersive VR adventures that way.

VR for me is about being transported to a different world than the one I normally inhabit. But I also get absolutely no motion sickness from VR, even with full locomotion, never have.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Same. Really looking forward to some high-end VR, but if I just want to play a few rounds of Beat Saber I'll probably throw on my Quest 2.

This is a cool idea, but it seems like the possible gameplay would be pretty limited. More like AR than VR. Puzzle games and such that take place in a limited environment could work well, but you couldn't really do immersive VR adventures that way.

VR for me is about being transported to a different world than the one I normally inhabit. But I also get absolutely no motion sickness from VR, even with full locomotion, never have.

It could make a great horror mystery game. If your environment is successfuly mapped then it could be filled with what the development wanted, the hard part would be making it work with many different environments. But its certainly not far fetched.
Vr developers are going to have to find solutions to the motion sickness problem or VR will never take off.

Imo being able to walk around a real environment even with a mystery/horror game would be far better then the clunky navigation VR currently has in adventure games.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just like Switch and PS5 can both be successful for different reasons, a high end VR like PSVR 2 and alower-end, cheaper and portable VR like Quest 2 can both successfully coexist.

I'll have both.

Yep! Not sure how this isn't conventional wisdom yet.

sigrad

Isn't that just AR?

tommib

This sounds like AR. Apple might bring something like this to the market soon.

Sosokrates

This sounds like AR. Apple might bring something like this to the market soon.

There is both, environment mapping on VR does exist.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Given how much and how scarce a decent GPU is. This might be a better option.

Buggy Loop

Sony waited a bit too long, to be honest. I've had a PS5 since its first holiday season, and would have probably jumped on a VR solution for it. But I've waited forever to get into VR gaming, so we went ahead and picked up the Quest 2 recently.

And the thing is, the Quest 2 is just more flexible, because I'm playing Alyx right now along with a ton of different PC / Steam experiences. I no longer can see any way to justify buying the PS5's headset when it arrives. It's too many devices at this point, and a bit too late. If it supported Steam etc out of the box, that might make a difference, but it's unlikely.

Also, beyond the official stores, there is an endless stream of excellent content like 90's Bedroom Simulator on the PC, which I've been using to play NES Castlevania games with a fantastic tube-TV atmosphere of a vintage bedroom. So good.

And that’s the beauty of PC that is also leaking into VR. Small projects, mods, experimental stuffs. There’s curated content and then there’s the off road, whatever taste you like.

I mean, there’s Half Life alyx on PC, there’s also a ton of mods

And then it’s an endless list of fan mods such as Zelda Ocarina of time VR, RE2, Alien isolation, etc etc.

John makes a good point, that after Half-Life Alyx, high-end experiences have sort of fizzled out, and Sony is certainly positioned to reverse that trend with the skills, library, and vision that they as a company (development studios) bring to the table. I'd say Microsoft will soon follow suit (Hopefully in the form of 3P HMD support), if you can't set the trend, you best be able to keep up with the said trend.

I mean, Half Life Alyx even left me a void even when taking into account 2D games, it’s literally that good. I doubt it will be matched for years to come.

Lone Echo 1 & 2, Asgard’s wrath, RE4, Walking dead Saints and Sinners and Boneworks comes to mind as being top quality games. And then you add the PC sims like DCS, Microsoft flight sim, IL2, Dirt rally, Assetto Corsa, Elite dangerous… (etc), it’s a big market on PC and probably the only serious place for this hardware heavy hobby.

Fizzled out is a stupid thing to say, there’s more than one taste to go around.

That’s what project cambria will do (1:25)

Coming this year. Cambria is a more expensive version of Quest, but is basically for leading technology that will eventually make it to cheaper Quest iterations.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

And that’s the beauty of PC that is also leaking into VR. Small projects, mods, experimental stuffs. There’s curated content and then there’s the off road, whatever taste you like.

I mean, there’s Half Life alyx on PC, there’s also a ton of mods

And then it’s an endless list of fan mods such as Zelda Ocarina of time VR, RE2, Alien isolation, etc etc.

I mean, Half Life Alyx even left me a void even when taking into account 2D games, it’s literally that good. I doubt it will be matched for years to come.

Lone Echo 1 & 2, Asgard’s wrath, RE4, Walking dead Saints and Sinners and Boneworks comes to mind as being top quality games. And then you add the PC sims like DCS, Microsoft flight sim, IL2, Dirt rally, Assetto Corsa, Elite dangerous… (etc), it’s a big market on PC and probably the only serious place for this hardware heavy hobby.

Fizzled out is a stupid thing to say, there’s more than one taste to go around.

That’s what project cambria will do (1:25)

Coming this year. Cambria is a more expensive version of Quest, but is basically for leading technology that will eventually make it to cheaper Quest iterations.

When mixed reality games are possible, I see the VR appealing to people who use things like laser tag or nerf guns, it become more like a traditional toy. Parents will like it too because it involves physical activity.

Unfortunately current inside out tracking does not work outside, but when it does that would be a dream come true.

When I was a kid, me and my friend would use our imaginations and play in the woodland park with toy guns. If you could put on headset in the woodland park and a zombie invasion with actually be happening, or you could play real life capture the flag that would be amazing.

iHaunter

Pretty silly to dismiss gaming on Quest while glossing over the reasoning with the anti-metaverse argument when its own library is largely games and even Facebook push deep gaming experiences with deals like RE4VR, even if they also go after the casual crowd with fitness and such crap.

There's no reason to fear the metaverse because it's not happening, no corp will provide a digital universe as compelling as what you see in fiction for everyone to join, the metaverse will just be (or already is) collectively everything you do digitally in separate programs, games, apps, XR etc.

Quest is also a PC VR device making games like Alyx fully playable, dawgs. Also these are the guys hyping up Switch for delivering modern games in sub par ways, now they suddenly don't see the potential mobile soc hold for the future of gaming in every category, whether in or out of VR?

But sure, high end VR games like how Hitman 3 will soon be on PC, Alyx, hopefully this Horizon thing and more are great. Which doesn't make some awesome low-fi indie VR games any less fun, just as people like playing more than the next AAA hit outside VR. Other than that, nothing new.

Edit: sorry for triggering you ethomaz & ParaSeoul, it's just facts, that's why you got nothing to argue against any of it and go on tangents about popular thing x you dislike or thing y not being as popular as you like, as if any of it matters vs something unreleased you could be arguing against with the very same nonsense as it too won't sell gazillions in a month or only do hardcore games. Nobody insulted your precious Sony, it will be great for those who get a PS5, it would be ace if it also worked on PC/they ported its games to PC, but they aren't the be all end all and for VR are a gen lttp.
The specs are incredibly shit on the Quest. It was clearly not designed with gaming in mind, nor was the price, which is why it's selling so well.

It's nice to see a dedicated device for VR that's for consumers. PC VR has so much overhead that it ostracizes a lot of the people that may be into it. Need a really expensive desktop to run it. But with a PS5 which if you can get it, can be as low as $400. Definitely more consumer friendly - having said that we do not know the price of the headset yet. I'm expecting $500-$600 minimum for the specs. Also no VR headsets have vibration motors in the headset, far as I've seen?

Top Bottom