• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 @ Blizzcon [Update: Information And Videos Added]

V_Arnold said:
The better the games a developer makes, the stronger the urge to speculate they will now suddenly make the worst product ever. We just gotta deal with it, because this is how it works. This is what rocks nowadays. Blizzard, never before doing one bad game , and now Diablo III is doomed. For having colors. Or for not having them. For being too vivid. For not being too vivid. For creating dark cg. For not creating dark enough cg. For everything :)

This game could get bashed to hell and back, but when it is released, and I finally get to click on "New Character", it wont matter anymore.

eh im looking at Diablo 3 like I looked at Fallout 3, its a different developer and hopefully they can pull it off.

Fallout 3 did, sort of. We will see how Blizzard does.

Door2Dawn said:
There's nothing wrong with the atmosphere

There's nothing wrong with the music

There's nothing wrong with the game.

Having a Diablo game without Matt Uelmen, is like having a Star Wars movie without John Williams. Torchlight ended up sounding more like a Diablo game than Diablo 3 will.

Instro

anaron said:
Oh I don't know, he's only behind the game's entire atmosphere. :lol

Thats pushing it a bit, but automatically assuming the music will somehow be terrible because he isnt involved is amazingly stupid.

anaron

Instro said:
Thats pushing it a bit, but automatically assuming the music will somehow be terrible because he isnt involved is amazingly stupid.
As far as I know, Matt was also the sound designer for D1+D2 so his contributions were pretty substantial.

I do agree however that assuming the music will be terrible is silly.

Instro

anaron said:
As far as I know, Matt was also the sound designer for D1+D2 so his contributions were pretty substantial.

I do agree however that assuming the music will be terrible is silly.

I meant that the atmosphere of the games weren't solely created by his music. I like the guy and his tunes, its just annoying that there are so many people saying the music will suck because he isnt doing it. It will be different for sure, but w.e.

valeo

I'm obviously super hyped for D3 and have been for a while but I am not liking the Demon Hunter, to be honest.

My first thought when I heard this was of Warcraft 3.

Think the concept is quite weak (including the lore which I don't care about that much) and I think they could've done something a lot more interesting. I wont be playing a DH till last, I think, but I realise they did it to appease the the people who like to play archers etc.

Also, the grenades really don't fit the D2 universe and the crossbows are too gun-like, imo.

I've liked every class so far but I think Blizz misstepped with this one.

Tacitus_

valeo said:
I'm obviously super hyped for D3 and have been for a while but I am not liking the Demon Hunter, to be honest.

Think the concept is quite weak (including the lore which I don't care about that much) and I think they could've done something a lot more interesting. I wont be playing a DH till last, I think, but I realise they did it to appease the the people who like to play archers etc.

Also, the grenades really don't fit the D2 universe and the crossbows are too gun-like, imo.

By your definition D2 doesn't fit the D2 universe.

The very first skill in the Traps tree is a grenade.

ElyrionX

The updating of the OP is fantastic.

Also, this game is going to be the game of the century though the customization options look a tad overwhelming.

Alex

I do like him, but Uelmen is the most overrated composer I can think of, I enjoy his Diablo work, his town themes are always really fantastic, but the bulk of his tracks can be quite samey or really boring even as far as simple atmospheric tracks go.

I think he'll fit in better at Runic anyway. As he left, the WoW soundtrack skyrocketed in quality, which is something I had bitched about for years (the terrible music in WoW, although to be fair, they've pumped shit tons of money into rescoring half the game with ridiculous production values). He's very fit for a certain type of project and one Diablo game every blue moon isn't it.

Instro

Alex said:
I do like him, but Uelmen is the most overrated composer I can think of, I enjoy his Diablo work, his town themes are always really fantastic, but the bulk of his tracks can be quite samey or really boring even as far as simple atmospheric tracks go.

I think he'll fit in better at Runic anyway. As he left, the WoW soundtrack skyrocketed in quality, which is something I had bitched about for years (the terrible music in WoW, although to be fair, they've pumped shit tons of money into rescoring half the game with ridiculous production values). He's very fit for a certain type of project and one Diablo game every blue moon isn't it.

This, this is my problem. Killing hordes of monsters to a couple guitar twangs and some really low key shit just isnt that cool, his music is fantastic in towns and similar areas but in the end it all sounds so damn similar and never picks up in tougher areas. I mean the Torchlight town music is basically ripped directly from Diablo.

Rezbit

The game is sounding really amazing, and pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. Was a bit worried when they told us they were removing stats, but it seems there is even more customization in D3.

Oh, and I would poop myself playing hardcore PvP. The pressure would be too much, man!

Thirteen

Neo Member
Really loving the game so far but a bit disappointed with the area of PvP how there will probably be no ladder/ranking system.

How the hell do I post in the D3 forums? I wouldn't mind suggesting to them to have stats at least!

Instro

blitz64 said:
Not a single girl in the Diablo leader team and not a single girl went up to ask a question.

Wasnt there a lady in the crafting developer panel?

homing said:
Really loving the game so far but a bit disappointed with the area of PvP how there will probably be no ladder/ranking system.

I thought they said there was a ranking system for PvP?

BuRT!

valeo said:

There were crossbows and grenades in d2 :lol

Wish they would update the world map with some new info:

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/worldmap.xml

Look at all those locations, and only 2 have been detailed.

l_747782d6159f41f799fae09abe574d53.jpg

Morokh

I am the only one that doesn't really like any of the classes ?
there is just nothing in what has be shown that screams to me 'I want to play that', and seriously the Demon Hunter sounded cool but turned out just as disappointing as the rest, it's like it was designed by a 13 year old kid "what's cooler than a crossbow ? two crossbowzzzzz !!!" ... come on .... and other than that i'ts just Amazon 2.0 on paper.

I'm a big Diablo fan and a Blizzard fan in general, but this game just doesn't tick with me, i'm even more excited about the idea of a Torchlight 2 we know barely anything of than this game .... xD

Rezbit

Morokh said:
there is just nothing in what has be shown that screams to me 'I want to play that', and seriously the Demon Hunter sounded cool but turned out just as disappointing as the rest, it's like it was designed by a 13 year old kid "what's cooler than a crossbow ? two crossbowzzzzz !!!" ... come on .... and other than that i'ts just Amazon 2.0 on paper.

I'm a big Diablo fan and a Blizzard fan in general, but this game just doesn't tick with me, i'm even more excited about the idea of a Torchlight 2 we know barely anything of than this game .... xD

I dunno, I kinda like the new classes! The Barbarian and Wizard obviously seem very similar to the D2 classes. However, the others seem to have some unique skills while still having similarities from the Necro, Amazon, Paladin, and Assassin from D2. I for one can't wait to play as the Monk.

NeoUltima

Morokh said:

I'm not wild for any of them...Monks pretty cool though. I'll start there.

jersoc

Morokh said:

The demo chars all felt too weak. Having like 2 skills was nothing. The WD felt pathetic out of all of them. The monk was the most fun.

54-46!

So is the Q/A worth watching or are there just a bunch of stupid questions like "Why was this weapon buffed from 10.01 damage to 10.02?" ?

Morokh said:

I'd have to agree, I think they've made the classes to specific. I just don't understand why they have to try and differentiate the classes as opposed to just leaving them as nameless archtypes. Take the monk for example, that adds way too many connotations to his role, why not call him a brawler or something.

Not to mention that I want a character that's reflective of what I like, not the pre-determined classes bliz has created. I like the art of the demon hunter the best, but I absolutely hate her class mechanics, so where do I fit in?

valeo

BuRT! said:
There were crossbows and grenades in d2 :lol

I realise that - I'm just saying that the crossbow 'pistols' kind of remind me of guns (especially when she holds the crossbow gangsta-style and shoots behind her back Dante-style etc.) and the grenades are a bit different to the 'grenades' in d2.

Very, very small complaints obviously and when i'm playing I wouldn't care - just nit picking

I agree with the above poster that the characters probably aren't as good as they could be but 'Wizard' and 'Barbarian' are pretty general archetypes, no?

I'm a little disappointed that there isn't a shape-shifting class (don't think the Witch Doctor does it?) Think that was a great idea implemented not so well with the Druid

The best idea so far are the Skill Runes. Love it.

Thirteen

Neo Member
Instro said:
I thought they said there was a ranking system for PvP?

oh really? I've only watched the Q&A so far and the whole talk of trying to balance the 97billion different combinations of skills or whatever was and them saying that they won't go ahead to try and make it a esport then I got impression that they weren't going to have a ranking system. maybe i'll have to watch it again.

valeo

Don't think there is a ranking system - I think that you'll be placed with similar levels or something though

Apparently if you PvP in hardcore your character dies permanently which is kind of awesome - talk about high stakes PvP :lol

valeo said:
I agree with the above poster that the characters probably aren't as good as they could be but 'Wizard' and 'Barbarian' are pretty general archetypes, no?

They are, and I'm willing to bet that the people who enjoy the caster and tank class/roles are instantly more familiar with them, and will be far more willing to adopt them. But as a player who usually plays as rogue/assassin/theif classes I honestly have no clue where I fit in, the monk seems to play like the class i want, but the demon hunter looks like the class i want.

I wish they used more wow like method of character creation. Where you select a class, and race(or back-story), with the two being relatively unrelated, one controlling the players overall look, the other controlling the character playstyle. Maybe even go one further, and adopt a method like fable, where you give players complete control on character customization.

Thirteen

Neo Member
valeo said:
Don't think there is a ranking system - I think that you'll be placed with similar levels or something though

Apparently if you PvP in hardcore your character dies permanently which is kind of awesome - talk about high stakes PvP :lol

Ah there is a ranking system for arenas, giving you titles, vanity awards, achievements. I'd still like stats though! KDR, assists etc.

Near the last quarter of the Gameplay Panel in part 4 of the youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ9XN2UMg-A

Yeah the hardcore is too hardcore for me lol.

Raide

Watched the footage of the Demon Hunter, I like it! Different feel, especially being ranged and so damn quick. Those grenade things looked awesome but what was that spell where it joined two or more enemies together? Some nice crowd control going on there.

I know people might hate it but I kinda like the idea of Diablo classes actually having WoW style jobs to do during encounters. Well, at least the co-op footage I saw seemed to suggest that.

John_B

Morokh said:
I think the game looks pretty exciting considering everything shown so far have been very low level gameplay. If you compare it to the low level gameplay of Diablo 2, then it looks like a huge upgrade in fun.

I like their approach with making new classes instead of recycling the old ones. The Demon Hunter looks a little like a Bowazon, but seems to play very differently (much more tactical than just staying as far as way as possible).

V_Arnold

The Rune system seems to be so crazy that it is owherwhelming me RIGHT NOW!
Oh my god, the total customization will be so awesome, so time consuming, so much fun... T_T

Raide

V_Arnold said:
The Rune system seems to be so crazy that it is owherwhelming me RIGHT NOW!
Oh my god, the total customization will be so awesome, so time consuming, so much fun... T_T

Agreed. Diablo is going to own me. No other game will get close when it launches in 2020. :(

valeo

Raide said:
Watched the footage of the Demon Hunter, I like it! Different feel, especially being ranged and so damn quick. Those grenade things looked awesome but what was that spell where it joined two or more enemies together? Some nice crowd control going on there.

I know people might hate it but I kinda like the idea of Diablo classes actually having WoW style jobs to do during encounters. Well, at least the co-op footage I saw seemed to suggest that.

Everything Jay Wilson has pointed towards kind of indicates the opposite. They are trying to move away from the tank/buffer etc. archetypes prevalent in most MMO's. Each character will be equally good at solo'ing.

Raide

valeo said:
Everything Jay Wilson has pointed towards kind of indicates the opposite. They are trying to move away from the tank/buffer etc. archetypes prevalent in most MMO's. Each character will be equally good at solo'ing.

Interesting. Well, co-op should be interesting with all the new classes and skills available. Footage looks awesome, just need a release date now!!

John_B

From the Q&A session:

- support for dual builds if necessary
- 1 cd-key 1 battle.net account
- characters won't be deleted
- possible to make a lot of characters on 1 account
- stash is now huge and sharable between characters

Top Bottom