• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 @ Blizzcon [Update: Information And Videos Added]

Proven

The PvP brings me good memories of Guild Wars.

Scalemail Ted said:
One thing I'm disappointed about with the Diablo 3 movies are the attitude. All of the original Diablo and the Diablo 2 movies were presented in the likeness of a horror story. where there was an overwhelming evil that was destroying everything and the hero was merely doing what they needed to catch up. In the diablo 3 movies its like watching an action movie. Heroes flipping about killing all the undead and demons like its child's play. It presents no real illusion of danger or threat.

And now I'm just gonna requote this and walk away.

poisonelf

FieryBalrog said:
I don't want to quelch your criticism. I do, however, reserve the right to consider your complaints idiotic.
Oh trust me, I consider LOTS of opinions idiotic, you reserve your right and exercise it all you want.

However saying "hey, how dare you criticize the mighty, all-intelligent WoW-fathers, you have seen NOTHING of the game, you have NO RIGHT to dare express your preferences" is not saying "I disagree".
You gobble up all you see, love it, and at the same time don't feel like reading other opinions ? Well shut up and avoid forums, don't just run around screaming "stop it, stop it, stop it!"

V_Arnold

Proven said:
And now I'm just gonna requote this and walk away.

Feel free to requote, but these points still stand:
1. Ingame, your moves are just like in D1/D2, but with some fresh things. It is not more acrobatic than Phoenix Kick or a Whirlwind, or Blink+chain lightning seen before :p

2. Video-wise, the CG has already shown that videos in D3 will be nothing like these character trailers made specifically for the reveals.

Insaniac

i keep forgetting, do I have to wait till blizzcon is over before i can download / watch the panels or will there be some site that will have em up soon cause i wanna see this diablo 3 stuff

poisonelf said:
Oh trust me, I consider LOTS of opinions idiotic, you reserve your right and exercise it all you want.

However saying "hey, how dare you criticize the mighty, all-intelligent WoW-fathers, you have seen NOTHING of the game, you have NO RIGHT to dare express your preferences" is not saying "I disagree".
You gobble up all you see, love it, and at the same time don't feel like reading other opinions ? Well shut up and avoid forums, don't just run around screaming "stop it, stop it, stop it!"

Hardly anyone's doing that, so I guess you're working yourself up over nothing.

My pet peeve is people calling the game 'cartoony' when it actually looks like a watercolor painting in motion. Expand your fucking vocabulary people.

Also whining about the game being "WoW-ified" is so lazy and dull that I automatically ignore anything else you have to say. Valid complaint or not, put a little work into expressing your thoughts.

V_Arnold

FieryBalrog said:

My pet peeve is people calling the game 'cartoony' when it actually looks like a watercolor painting in motion. Expand your fucking vocabulary people.

Also whining about the game being "WoW-ified" is so lazy and dull that I automatically ignore anything else you have to say. Valid complaint or not, put a little work into expressing your thoughts.

But it has SHOULDER PADS! It must be either Bioware crap, or WOW crap then!

Zek said:
The character trailers won't be in the game, they're made for the fans to get them excited about how badass the classes are.

THIS *1000+ every time someone complains about it.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
The character trailers won't be in the game, they're made for the fans to get them excited about how badass the classes are.

I knew they were going to spruce up the PvP in D3 (obvious), but I just hope they don't waste too much ressource into it and just make a damn good PVE game first. I just do not want them to balance PvE skills/items for PvP and srew up a fun game.

Do not care about PvP in a DIABLO game.

poisonelf

FieryBalrog said:

I never said 'cartoonish graphics' in general. I like the graphics I've seen so far, and I completely agree with the watercolor painting description. I said cartoony motion and look of some of the enemies. Like those cultists and that spiky demon.

As far as it being WoW-ified, well, if you honestly can't see the similarities in the movies, the close-ups of enemies and the use of colors and design of some backgrounds, then sorry, but I won't write an essay for your sake. It's there and a few thousand people see it, we must all be crazy morons I guess.

V_Arnold

poisonelf said:
As far as it being WoW-ified, well, if you honestly can't see the similarities in the movies, the close-ups of enemies and the use of colors and design of some backgrounds, then sorry, but I won't write an essay for your sake. It's there and a few thousand people see it, we must all be crazy morons I guess.

In my opinion(!), it is a projection of the fear of "oh, it is gonna be WoW, because that is successful, and is also fantasy." (Blizzard ofc stated many times that they do not consider Diablo high fantasy, instead they think it is dark fantasy, hence they style difference).

10dollas

Banned
poisonelf said:

Over a few thousand people savor every last word Glenn beck preaches. They must all not be crazy morons...

poisonelf

10dollas said:
Over a few thousand people savor every last word Glenn beck preaches. They must all not be crazy morons...
So now seeing WoW-ish designs in Diablo monsters and backgrounds is the same as believing in little green men, flat earth theory and hardcore creationism. Ok...

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im not worried about D3 having similarities to WoW cause i dont think it does. Most of the difference comes from the fact that there is far more detail in the D3 levels and characters than what you would see in WoW. WoW has to use very simplistic textures and colors since it is a large MMO world so things can look very "arty" and colorful. D3 really doesnt have any of those issues, at least not from the videos ive seen.

Kuran

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Warcraft II
Diablo
Starcraft 64

All...so...bad. :lol

Not to mention Blizzard likely had very little to do with them and it was mostly Vivendi's decision-making and management. After those horrible games it seems even more unlikely that Blizzard would be cool with Activision going out and finding devs to port their current titles over.

There was nothing wrong with the Diablo PSX port.

notworksafe

Diablo PSX ruled! Two player co-op was a ton of fun.

My only issue was that a game save took up almost an entire memory card.

10dollas

Banned
poisonelf said:
So now seeing WoW-ish designs in Diablo monsters and backgrounds is the same as believing in little green men, flat earth theory and hardcore creationism. Ok...

No the point is, a band-wagoning statement is not a good substitute for evidence of a worthwhile opinion. Saying many others hold said opinion and providing no further explanation is a cop out. You argued that WOW design philosophy is influencing Diablo. Yet I'm not seeing much raw supporting evidence for this assertion. Instead you rely on the above.

The only other thing is this:
The character intro movies are a joke, the little red floating orbs straight out of console games disgust me, the jerky cartoonish movement and feel of some enemies annoy me, and the color is too much in some cases. Look, I have opinions, how dare I.
A lot of the gameplay looks to be a lot of fun, and I like the music so far.

But as others have pointed out, colorful does not equate to cartoony.
God of war red orbs doesn't make a game WOWish.

I'm left wondering why you would make such a claim.

poisonelf

10dollas said:
But as others have pointed out, colorful does not equate to cartoony.
God of war red orbs doesn't make a game WOWish.

I'm left wondering why you would make such a claim.

First off, as I said before, I quite like the direction the game is taking. Gameplay looks great, and graphics are beautiful with the exceptions I said, at least for me. What I dislike is some people having the demand that we dare not criticize anything.

Now, try to not see every criticism I made in the context of "WoWification". It's not the red orbs that have anything to do with WoW (obviously). These are a design choice that to me screams 'console game', and I happen to dislike it in my Diablo. It detracts from the atmosphere. Again, as far as I'm concerned.

As for were do I see WoW, here is an example :
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/bestiary/darkcultists.xml

It's obviously not a mirror copy. It has much more detail than a years-old game. But the color scheme, the obvious 3d aspect and rough edges to it, the movement, they remind me of WoW.
I'm not alone here, I see tens of WoW screens per day since my work is within an internet cafe, and when seeing *some* of Diablo 3's trailers people would flock and claim "hey, WoW".

Titan Quest was 3d, had color, and had non of that feel.

Door2Dawn

Banned
animlboogy said:
I'm also disappointed by the look of the game so far... I'll have to see more gameplay to really make a comment, though.

For those wanting us to shut up about the tone, though, are you at all fans of Diablo, or just excited to see the next step for the genre from the company that does it best? Atmosphere is a major part of my enjoyment of Diablo. The music, the way torches light those oppressive, death filled dungeons, the pure feeling that creatures obsessed with malevolence have completely corrupted the game's world...

Basically, from what we've seen, Demon's Souls is more Diablo than Diablo 3. I hope the final game has more of that old feeling on display. There are enough high fantasy games to play.
There's nothing wrong with the atmosphere

There's nothing wrong with the music

There's nothing wrong with the game.

animlboogy said:
I'm also disappointed by the look of the game so far... I'll have to see more gameplay to really make a comment, though.

For those wanting us to shut up about the tone, though, are you at all fans of Diablo, or just excited to see the next step for the genre from the company that does it best? Atmosphere is a major part of my enjoyment of Diablo. The music, the way torches light those oppressive, death filled dungeons, the pure feeling that creatures obsessed with malevolence have completely corrupted the game's world...

Basically, from what we've seen, Demon's Souls is more Diablo than Diablo 3. I hope the final game has more of that old feeling on display. There are enough high fantasy games to play.
I agree 100%. You also really nailed it with the Demon's Souls comment. That game reminded me of Diablo 1 and 2 a lot. While Diablo 3 looks alright, it doesn't really remind me of Diablo. Oh well, though.

poisonelf said:
As far as it being WoW-ified, well, if you honestly can't see the similarities in the movies, the close-ups of enemies and the use of colors and design of some backgrounds

I can't.

2nb8xv4.jpg

whdvdt.jpg

Maybe you meant Torchlight?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
The good thing about D3's development is that when I call it the lushest, most evocative dark fantasy art direction of the decade I can really mean 'of the decade'.

Castlevania: LOS put up some good competition (and also followed the artistic bait-and-switch that D3 does of starting you in beautiful autumnal ruin before gradually piling on the oppression), but, man, this game! For once the Brom doesn't stop at the boxcover.

Eliciel

FieryBalrog said:
I can't.

2nb8xv4.jpg

whdvdt.jpg

Maybe he meant "Lara Croft and the Guardian of the Light" because that's what popped into my mind actually. >_<

Why does the development take so long btw.? The game looks quite finished.

Draft

Who knows what sort of weird character trailers they would have put out for Diablo if that had been something people did back then.

Try to remember the environment Diablo was developed in. It wasn't pre internet, but close. You didn't watch a trailer on Youtube. You watched a trailer on your Starcraft disc under "extras." You would never have something like a character trailer. You would never see live demos of gameplay years before the game came out. You might see some screenshots in PC Accelerator.

If you really want to compare the marketing of the two games and come to a conclusion about the difference in tone, the only apples to apples is the Diablo opening cinematic vs. the Diablo 3 teaser trailer.

IMO, this is the best looking Diablo yet. Artistically I think it's spot on and this is the first Diablo where the technology is able to do justice to the concept art. The music I'm not sold on yet. I haven't heard anything that stands up to the deep thumps and guitar licks of the first two games.

poisonelf said:
First off, as I said before, I quite like the direction the game is taking. Gameplay looks great, and graphics are beautiful with the exceptions I said, at least for me. What I dislike is some people having the demand that we dare not criticize anything.

Now, try to not see every criticism I made in the context of "WoWification". It's not the red orbs that have anything to do with WoW (obviously). These are a design choice that to me screams 'console game', and I happen to dislike it in my Diablo. It detracts from the atmosphere. Again, as far as I'm concerned.
The red health orbs are so ridiculously superior to Diablo 2's potion chugging that your obsession with where the idea comes from strikes me as pointless. I am probably a bigger member of the PC gaming master race than anyone on GAF bar Borys (RIP) yet I really don't give a shit.

I put hundreds of hours into Diablo 2, despite some pretty poor design decisions (esp. combat) and I'm very glad to see that Jay Wilson and the team on D3 are "getting it".

Open TP spam right click potion vendor go back and wail on boss is so tired and dated that I found Torchlight's slavish recreation of this pretty hilarious.

Eliciel

piratepwnsninja said:
I am so excited. The only gif that can accurately depict my excitement for anything Diablo 3 that gets announced:

340x.gif

That actually reminds me of the way this game is going to be reviewed. The cookie is Diablo III and you do the math who is who then...;)

Draft said:
IMO, this is the best looking Diablo yet. Artistically I think it's spot on and this is the first Diablo where the technology is able to do justice to the concept art.
I don't know.
The 3D art engine they got feels wrong.

They should've done a glorious 2D sprite game in HD.
Only Blizzard could've pulled it off.

Kuran

Banned
Door2Dawn said:

Explain that monk movie that I just saw. That was just horrible in every respect.

poisonelf

FieryBalrog said:
I can't.

Try this: http://nerfnow.com/comic/401 :p

And I specifically said monster designs, some backgrounds, and forgot to mention the overwhelming rainbow aspect of many effects together in some screens. What you chose to compare, while admittedly funny, is not what I said.

Anyway, we could go at it for days, I guess we just disagree. WoW has influenced Diablo design, it's the same designers for god's sake, and they have said in interviews that their experience with WoW has helped them with designing Diablo. Before you jump at my throat, that is of course not bad, but denying the fact that WoW influences Diablo 3 and that the Blizzard North feel is left behind, is foolish or simply lack of perception.

Draft

theMrCravens said:
I don't know.
The 3D art engine they got feels wrong.

They should've done a glorious 2D sprite game in HD.
Only Blizzard could've pulled it off.
Would probably be amazing, but come on. It's 2010. Nobody's sinking 10s of millions of dollars into a 2D game. Just not happening.
The red health orbs are so ridiculously superior to Diablo 2's potion chugging that your obsession with where the idea comes from strikes me as pointless. I am probably a bigger member of the PC gaming master race than anyone on GAF bar Borys (RIP) yet I really don't give a shit.
/pours one out for Borys, Captain of the Xbox Death Squad.

I agree about the potions. In fact, I am confident that if there wasn't a Diablo series and some game was released in 2010 that had the chug->chug->chug->TP->buy->chug->chug->chug gameplay of D1/D2, it would get savaged. People would see right through it as bad game design.

poisonelf

Draft said:
I agree about the potions. In fact, I am confident that if there wasn't a Diablo series and some game was released in 2010 that had the chug->chug->chug->TP->buy->chug->chug->chug gameplay of D1/D2, it would get savaged. People would see right through it as bad game design.

You know, it's not so much the gameplay aspect of it, that is having to go to the orb. That might actually be fun and add more tactical depth.

It's the floating red orb that gets to me. It simply reminds me of devil may cry and pulls me right out of the Diablo atmosphere.

When it had first been shown, I remember reading in some forum the idea (and I think he also photoshopped a picture of it), perhaps instead of using a red floating orb it could be substituted with a broken vial with red liquid or fumes or something. The game plays the same, you have to walk over it, but I preferred that x100.

Won

poisonelf said:
You know, it's not so much the gameplay aspect of it, that is having to go to the orb. That might actually be fun and add more tactical depth.

It's the floating red orb that gets to me. It simply reminds me of devil may cry and pulls me right out of the Diablo atmosphere.

When it had first been shown, I remember reading in some forum the idea (and I think he also photoshopped a picture of it), perhaps instead of using a red floating orb it could be substituted with a broken vial with red liquid or fumes or something. The game plays the same, you have to walk over it, but I preferred that x100.

Diablo 2 was full of floating orbs though.

Draft

poisonelf said:

I agree that floating red life orbs don't really fit the feel of Diablo, but I also think that I'd prefer life orbs that shoot over to me rather than having to hunt and peck broken potions after every fight. It's a gameplay over tone decision, and I always line up on gameplay's side.

Whatever it is, the graphic has to be very clear and "pick me!" in the middle of tons of spell effects going off. It also has to be clear where the "focal point" of the healing effect is (aka no diffuse clouds). A red orb strikes me as as elegant an idea as any.

Even D2 used this basic concept of putting gameplay first. Did the glowing blue (chilled) and green (poisoned) monsters break your immersion? The series lost its "oppressive gothic horror" concept after D1 anyway. What oppressive horror is there in D2? Wandering around the lifeless pre-fabbed fields of Act1 getting quills shot at you? The closest it came was probably Catacombs act 1, Harem Act 2 and Durance Act 3. I'm pretty sure they can still do that in D3.

Door2Dawn said:

That last part I agree with.

Atmosphere and music though... I don't give a damn about that color palette discussion that raged near the initial announcement. But I do see a significant problem with the game's tone in the music and these bullshit character announcement trailers. Especially the last one. Now I'm willing to concede (regarding the trailers) that it could be related to the nature of a character announcement and that it needs to look badass. But as for the rest, it's not looking that good.

Diablo 1 and 2 were pretty special games, for me, a lot of that had to with atmosphere (though D1 was better than 2 in that respect). And this doesn't really feel like a Diablo game yet. And it probably isn't going to either. Understandably, WoW has bled into it a little, and that's a shame.

KAL2006

Banned
Damn there is so much customization in this game

If anyone wants to know, read this
http://www.diablofans.com/topic/22399-character-customization/?

Basically you have these
Skills - the standard skills you get in Diablo, such as Barbarians Whirlwind and etc. Also you can level up a skill
Traits - these are basically character buffs, they used to be part of Skills in the old Diablo games but now they are seperate, examples are Barbarians Rage buff, Traits can also be leveled up
Charms - basically dropped charms can be attached to your character, in the old games the charms were equipped in the inventory now their is a separate charm inventory which gets bigger as you level up so you can equip more charms. Charms a items that are dropped that increase character stats.
Skill Runes - are runes that you attach on skills, there are many different type of skill runes and they have different effects, for example Witch Dontors blow dark skill, if a Crimson rune is attached, the blow dart does fire damage, if a Indigo rune gets attached. the blow dart fires multiple shots. The higher the skill rank the higher the effect of the rune, for example if the blow dart skill is level 2 with Indigo rune 2 shots are fired, if the skill is level 6 then 6 shots are fired.

Lets not forget we have also have Crafting, Item Sockets/Gems, Enchant Items

Takuan

The Bookerman said:
Why Does the Demon Hunter look like Sylvanas Windrunner ?
First thing I thought, too.

The complaints are valid. This game is completely lacking in the horror aspect and it's clear the developers don't consider it a priority. But really, Diablo 2 was already lacking the atmosphere its predecessor had, in my opinion.

Shrug. CE day 1 anyway. :lol

Akia

KAL2006 said:

Basically you have these
Skills - the standard skills you get in Diablo, such as Barbarians Whirlwind and etc. Also you can level up a skill
Traits - these are basically character buffs, they used to be part of Skills in the old Diablo games but now they are seperate, examples are Barbarians Rage buff, Traits can also be leveled up
Charms - basically dropped charms can be attached to your character, in the old games the charms were equipped in the inventory now their is a separate charm inventory which gets bigger as you level up so you can equip more charms. Charms a items that are dropped that increase character stats.
Skill Runes - are runes that you attach on skills, there are many different type of skill runes and they have different effects, for example Witch Dontors blow dark skill, if a Crimson rune is attached, the blow dart does fire damage, if a Indigo rune gets attached. the blow dart fires multiple shots. The higher the skill rank the higher the effect of the rune, for example if the blow dart skill is level 2 with Indigo rune 2 shots are fired, if the skill is level 6 then 6 shots are fired.

This game is going to be sooo good.

~Kinggi~

Banned
KAL2006 said:

Basically you have these

Almost sounds like too much, but if the game world is huge and deep then maybe it will be just right. I cant wait, hope they dont start cutting a bunch of stuff before release.

KAL2006

Banned
KAL2006 said:

Basically you have these

OK for information about this in video form here is a link
http://www.youtube.com/user/noobclubru#p/u/36/G_Z7mTfLV5g
http://www.youtube.com/user/noobclubru#p/u/35/andaxt5UkEY

Top Bottom