• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4's first Battle Pass doesn't give enough Platinum for the cheapest store item, let alone the next pass

Draugoth

Gold Member
Q5MYPCVtSLimnYMevUEhDV-1200-80.jpg.webp

The Diablo 4 Battle Pass gives you enough Platinum to almost buy the cheapest item in the in-game store.

It's the Premium Battle Pass that pays out the 666 Platinum. As our own resident Diablo 4 grinder confirmed, that's via 10 payments of 60 Platinum and then one final Platinum pay out of 66 that unlocks once you reach level 84 of the Premium Battle Pass. This not only isn't enough to cover any in-store items, as the cheapest item in rotation is 800 Platinum, it also unfortunately isn't enough to pay for the Battle Pass in Season 2.

Players ain't pleased with the discovery, that's for sure.

"With what, 30 items in the store(?), you'd expect you'd be able to buy at least one of them. Then again, all expectations are out the window with this company,"

the top comment under the above Diablo 4 subreddit post reads, in reference to both developer Blizzard and publisher Activision.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I find it strange how people fall for the bullshit and hype from these companies every single time. What has Blizzard done in the past 10 years that would make you think they care about their players and aim to make a sustainable, fair game that is friendly to the people playing it? This is not the company that released Diablo 2 or even Starcraft 2 (which was exploitative in its own way), they're just scum.

Orbital2060

You effectively get 66% off the next season battle pass (1000 Platinum for the non-accelerated variant with 20 tier skips) if you complete it making it a 4€ purchase. This is way more generous than I expected it to be.
Yeah I totally agree. Storm in a teacup. I didnt even know there were currency in the pass.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This. Who gives a shit about that battle pass? It only has cosmetics and they're not even good. People just want to whine for the sake of whining.
Well, you don’t need to buy the battle pass lol
And here we are. Guys please please look beyond your own nose. Sorry but chills like you are honestly what's wrong with gaming.

Cosmetics are a BIG PART of a game like this. Chasing the perfect skin to match your style or because you want some specific outfit. And now you have to pay for some stuff. I want that chaos skin for my sorcerer and NO, I have to pay money for it FFS.
Not to mention the price tag of the game AND the price of the premium currency is completely absurd. But hey accept that without flinching, and watch were is gaming in 10 years.

"If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything"

Antwix

And here we are. Guys please please look beyond your own nose. Sorry but chills like you are honestly what's wrong with gaming.

Cosmetics are a BIG PART of a game like this. Chasing the perfect skin to match your style or because you want some specific outfit. And now you have to pay for some stuff. I want that chaos skin for my sorcerer and NO, I have to pay money for it FFS.
Not to mention the price tag of the game AND the price of the premium currency is completely absurd. But hey accept that without flinching, and watch were is gaming in 10 years.

Cosmetics are a big part FOR SOME. The bigger issue I think is people don't know what the fuck they are even buying. Then get pissed when it doesn't play out the way it did in their head. There's more than a handful of people in the D4 OT who have no idea wtf they even bought regarding seasons and the battle pass.

Btw there's dozens of transmogs of literally every gear piece as well as color selections. But I guess if there's ONE single mtx cosmetic in the game, you're gonna be pissed eh? Cuz you have to pay $$$ for that one skin you think you need. Maybe practice some self-restraint.

NickFire

Shameless greed if they don't give enough to buy the next season after completing the first. But not too surprising given the price of in store cosmetics.

Xyphie

Meanwhile, Fortnite, a F2P game, keeps giving your money back in the battlepass.

Is it so hard to follow the recipe of success from other companies?

The difference is completion time. Battle Passes which gives enough currency to buy the next season requires low completion rates. Epic bets on the vast majority of players not completing it because doing so requires you do login every day and do the dailies etc. The D4 Battlepass can probably the completed in less than a week just playing the game.

Belthazar

Unpopular opinion: I had my fun with Diablo 4 going through the campaign and don’t really give a damn what they do with it from here on out. I got my money’s worth. Already back to PoE as my podcast game.

That's my take on it as well... Damn, the campaign + renown + endgame activities were almost 100 hours that were A LOT of fun for me and my partner and for that alone it was definitely worth the price of admission. I might come back to play with another class or if there's a cool gimmick in one of the seasons...

But as it stands I got my money's worth and more with what I've already played.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Speak for yourself. I will spend my money they way I want to spend it.

You can vote “no with your wallet”, that’s fine, but don’t bring your axe and probation bullshit in here.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

If gaming’s worse in ten years it will be thanks to the gamers that can’t enjoy a game unless they’re on a treadmill, to unlock costumes.

Back when Diablo 2 released, nobody bought it to play dress up with their Barbarian. Thanks to modern gamers, that’s the focal point now.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If gaming’s worse in ten years it will be thanks to the gamers that can’t enjoy a game unless they’re on a treadmill, to unlock costumes.

Back when Diablo 2 released, nobody bought it to play dress up with their Barbarian. Thanks to modern gamers, that’s the focal point now.

People cared about their character looks even then. Lots of necros rocked full trangouls even tho stats were so so just for the nosferatu look.

It’s just that graphics in 1999 didn’t give much options.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Cosmetics are a big part FOR SOME. The bigger issue I think is people don't know what the fuck they are even buying. Then get pissed when it doesn't play out the way it did in their head. There's more than a handful of people in the D4 OT who have no idea wtf they even bought regarding seasons and the battle pass.

Btw there's dozens of transmogs of literally every gear piece as well as color selections. But I guess if there's ONE single mtx cosmetic in the game, you're gonna be pissed eh? Cuz you have to pay $$$ for that one skin you think you need. Maybe practice some self-restraint.
Nah, customization is prevalent in those kind of games INCLUDING skins. Sure some people won't care but I'm betting a large portion do care about how they look especially once you reach end game.
The menus are so badly designed too, it's almost like it was made that way on purpose so yeah i can't hold it against them. Not to mention that the game explain nothing.

Yeah there is transmog, half of them are ugly (poor male sorcerer...) and obviously the cool stuff is beyond a paywall. And I don't think I need a skin. Would I rather like to get it on a legendary item with low drop rate after a fuckin intense fight? Yeah, of course! Not beyond a paywall... Oh and btw, I would like to have a cool looking horse but guess what, after all this time I only dropped ONE skin, and it's the ugly one (merchant something).

But please, keep justifying how a 70e game that already sold way more than it' predecessor, is fine to have a BattlePass.
Speak for yourself. I will spend my money they way I want to spend it.

You can vote “no with your wallet”, that’s fine, but don’t bring your axe and probation bullshit in here.
I vote with my wallet, that doesn't prevent me to looking at this stuff in a game I like. Crazy that they forced this BattlePass trend so hard in everyone's mind that now it's "normal" in a fully priced game.

I looked at the store once, with a friend who told me about Necro's outfit which he thought was super cool. Otherwise I was playing with my Sorcerer and now with my Druid on the season.

Back when Diablo II was released, that question didn't even arise, because you bought the game with its full content. No bullshit, no DLC, no shop, and no chills to say "b-b-b-but it's cosmetic". That's it.
I mean it's fuckin Blizzard, I can understand that in a small indi game with few source of revenue a dev will explore ways to make money but come on! Do your seasons, and in a year or so release an expansion. You know, just like how it worked before!

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I noticed that players on the Blizzard D4 forums are pissed by this game in alot of ways(most of them want refunds, some even suggested this game should be free to play considreing the amount of MTX). Seems like their main intention of grabbing easy money for what fans consider an unfinished beta testing was fruitfull.

"come on, its just horse armor and its only a few dollars, gamers are so entitled"

Yeah we get it, Customers love an easy grind, love to get free shit in return, and love to bitch bc the game isn’t the way they want or isnt easy enough to get all the gear that was put in the game 😂.

In todays episode….

Well i beat the game leveled up my Necro got some good gear.. and honestly I didn’t buy the Pass bc I did t feel like starting a new Character
I got what I needed from the game it’s repetitive. Move on ppl.

Uninstalled this shit a while back. No care for the players time by the end game and I know I’m in the minority but I honestly much preferred Diablo 3.

I knew in the back of my mind that this would turn out to be a shit show, but no, fell for the trailers and hype around it. Triple A gaming can fuck off.

Fuz

Banned
Just gonna censor myself here.

But imagine I wrote something very offensive and banworthy at blizzard's customers.

imagination jerking off GIF

Can't find this one without the caption, goddammit.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I just don't care.

So far the game hasn't clicked with me at all, is a much bigger problem. I hate the MMO-lite aspect.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I just don't care.

So far the game hasn't clicked with me at all, is a much bigger problem. I hate the MMO-lite aspect.

It's so lite, there is no real trading, lack of player-to-player communication. This game feels fucking lazy and somewhat barebones. It feels more like the backbone to a bigger game that never got realized.

Antwix

Nah, customization is prevalent in those kind of games INCLUDING skins. Sure some people won't care but I'm betting a large portion do care about how they look especially once you reach end game.
The menus are so badly designed too, it's almost like it was made that way on purpose so yeah i can't hold it against them. Not to mention that the game explain nothing.

Yeah there is transmog, half of them are ugly (poor male sorcerer...) and obviously the cool stuff is beyond a paywall. And I don't think I need a skin. Would I rather like to get it on a legendary item with low drop rate after a fuckin intense fight? Yeah, of course! Not beyond a paywall... Oh and btw, I would like to have a cool looking horse but guess what, after all this time I only dropped ONE skin, and it's the ugly one (merchant something).

But please, keep justifying how a 70e game that already sold way more than it' predecessor, is fine to have a BattlePass.

I vote with my wallet, that doesn't prevent me to looking at this stuff in a game I like. Crazy that they forced this BattlePass trend so hard in everyone's mind that now it's "normal" in a fully priced game.

I looked at the store once, with a friend who told me about Necro's outfit which he thought was super cool. Otherwise I was playing with my Sorcerer and now with my Druid on the season.

Back when Diablo II was released, that question didn't even arise, because you bought the game with its full content. No bullshit, no DLC, no shop, and no chills to say "b-b-b-but it's cosmetic". That's it.
I mean it's fuckin Blizzard, I can understand that in a small indi game with few source of revenue a dev will explore ways to make money but come on! Do your seasons, and in a year or so release an expansion. You know, just like how it worked before!
We can agree to disagree on the "cool stuff" behind the paywall. I think there's a bunch of cool stuff that's free. I think I saw like 1 cool looking paid cosmetic set for the necro but nothing I would actually consider buying. Obviously subjective.

About the horse/armor, there's a bunch of customization you can do at the PVP merchant as well as another horse to buy. I think I have like 7 different horses with like 8 different armors and 8 different horse trophies. And I didn't buy anything from the shop.

And regarding Diablo 2, there was no customization lol. Your character was only based on what gear you had on. If you had an enigma or an oculus or a shako or whatever, you're always looking the same as everyone else. So that brings me to a question I'm curious about since you brought up D2. Would you rather there was no transmog, as well as no mtx? Every character would look exactly the same then especially in endgame playing the "meta" builds. Just like D2.

Regardless though, I'm not some rabid MTX fanatic. The mtx stuff in sports games for example is egregious. You basically need to buy your way up to compete in online modes. Diablo 4 just ain't like that though.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's so lite, there is no real trading, lack of player-to-player communication. This game feels fucking lazy and somewhat barebones. It feels more like the backbone to a bigger game that never got realized.
It's an excuse to get people to care more about cosmetics. "I want to look cool so I can show off as I run around."

I'm not a person who gets bent out of shape about monetization, but don't fuck with my gameplay lol

Top Bottom