• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4's first Battle Pass doesn't give enough Platinum for the cheapest store item, let alone the next pass

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It still amazes me that people get so involved in their little digital avatars and want to play dressy up and then rage they can't play dressy up cause the dresses cost a fortune...

They're testing to see if people will cry because they won't be able to buy the next battle pass by finishing this one...

Typical of activision-blizzard, huge assholes who want to eat up even more of our money and force the purchase of their shitty in-game currency... (They use the technique of the first purchase of in-game currency, which unlocks people to buy more and more.)

Coming soon on call of duty.

Just gonna censor myself here.

But imagine I wrote something very offensive and banworthy at blizzard's customers.

imagination jerking off GIF

Can't find this one without the caption, goddammit.

bI2UB38.gif

• Love
Reactions: Fuz

Minsc

Gold Member
Who honestly expected that paying $10 for the premium BP would generate enough in game currency to cover the price of the next premium BP for free, indefinitely?

That's like not how any game I've ever heard of ever works, hell I'm even surprised you can earn currency at all to pay for the premium BP.

If you don't want to pay for the premium BP, don't. There's the regular one too, and it's free.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
We can agree to disagree on the "cool stuff" behind the paywall. I think there's a bunch of cool stuff that's free. I think I saw like 1 cool looking paid cosmetic set for the necro but nothing I would actually consider buying. Obviously subjective.

About the horse/armor, there's a bunch of customization you can do at the PVP merchant as well as another horse to buy. I think I have like 7 different horses with like 8 different armors and 8 different horse trophies. And I didn't buy anything from the shop.

And regarding Diablo 2, there was no customization lol. Your character was only based on what gear you had on. If you had an enigma or an oculus or a shako or whatever, you're always looking the same as everyone else. So that brings me to a question I'm curious about since you brought up D2. Would you rather there was no transmog, as well as no mtx? Every character would look exactly the same then especially in endgame playing the "meta" builds. Just like D2.

Regardless though, I'm not some rabid MTX fanatic. The mtx stuff in sports games for example is egregious. You basically need to buy your way up to compete in online modes. Diablo 4 just ain't like that though.
Yeah to each their own, I think that set for the Sorcerer is cool honestly, it reminds me of W40K and I would love to get it but as a reward after I've accomplished something in the game. Not because I paid.
Sure D4 is not the worst, my biggest issue is in fact the price. Imo a fair thing to do is once a year, with a big new season event they launch a battlepass for like 10 or 15 bucks. So those who play the game nonstop can support it while having the current paid content now free as rewards for quests, specific dungeons, or when you reach a certain renown.

As for the transmog question, I would answer why not both? Can't we have transmog and no MTX? Is it that hard? And you mention sports games, which is a good example. If we don't say stop now, it's going to end up like Fifa.
Blizzard will just try to push more and more to see what they can get away with, the problem being that the new generation of players will come to terms with this and accept it more and more, ruining the game.

There's the regular one too, and it's free.
And it's shit, with the only skin available being really ugly.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

I've been having fun with it. I have a Barb lvl 67 on Eternal and didn't touch the other classes until the new Season. I started a Rogue and chose to skip the campaign. This gives you the horse from the get go, so I just go place to place doing all the quests and leveling. I bought the premium pass because I just finished the SF 6 Rashid event.

Meanwhile, finishing up FF XVI grinding the final sword before I finish that one up.

Vox Machina

Banned
I'm enjoying the season without the BP. In fact, just ignoring all of the monetization features makes me enjoy it even more.

Same here. I legitimately don't know how people get upset over this stuff. Complaining that a completely optional purchase didn't pay for itself in fake money is just extremely low IQ.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah to each their own, I think that set for the Sorcerer is cool honestly, it reminds me of W40K and I would love to get it but as a reward after I've accomplished something in the game. Not because I paid.
Sure D4 is not the worst, my biggest issue is in fact the price. Imo a fair thing to do is once a year, with a big new season event they launch a battlepass for like 10 or 15 bucks. So those who play the game nonstop can support it while having the current paid content now free as rewards for quests, specific dungeons, or when you reach a certain renown.

As for the transmog question, I would answer why not both? Can't we have transmog and no MTX? Is it that hard? And you mention sports games, which is a good example. If we don't say stop now, it's going to end up like Fifa.
Blizzard will just try to push more and more to see what they can get away with, the problem being that the new generation of players will come to terms with this and accept it more and more, ruining the game.

And it's shit, with the only skin available being really ugly.

The battle pass (well new season) provides ~50 hours (maybe less if you're extremely quick, possibly double if not) of gameplay for either free or $10, every three months.

If the free option isn't enticing, and spending $40/year to support the game isn't appealing either (again that's 200-400 hours of gameplay for the $40 too), then find another game I guess.

I know with pinball games like Pinball FX they release new tables pretty frequently, like monthly or so, and they cost money every time. I don't just get them for free, and you know what, I'm happy to pay for them, because it goes in to getting more tables, which is something I want.

I'm sure most people who bought the game knew they'd pull some shit like this, yet they still supported the product. Well look what your support has enabled, and complaining about it now seems a bit disingenuous.

tommycronin

Banned
Which is why Fortnite is still the king of battlepasses regardless what you think of what's actually in it cosmetic wise. 8 euro for 1000 v-bucks and 950 v-bucks for the pass and you get 1450 v-bucks by the end of the pass. All games should adopt this kind of way.

The die has been cast. Expect to see more of this stuff, especially in games that will be on GamePass and PSPlus.
What's so awful about D4 and some other games, this is a paid game! They're still pulling this. And btw, I'm not innocent in all this, I've made terrible mistakes supporting titles like Destiny 2 in the past, but never again. Learnt from my mistakes, and I wish others would wake up.

Reactions: Fuz

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The battle pass (well new season) provides ~50 hours (maybe less if you're extremely quick, possibly double if not) of gameplay for either free or $10, every three months.

If the free option isn't enticing, and spending $40/year to support the game isn't appealing either (again that's 200-400 hours of gameplay for the $40 too), then find another game I guess.

I know with pinball games like Pinball FX they release new tables pretty frequently, like monthly or so, and they cost money every time. I don't just get them for free, and you know what, I'm happy to pay for them, because it goes in to getting more tables, which is something I want.
That's why I said a battlepass once in a year would be a fair alternative. But I think your are missing my point as we are not talking about a small indie dev it's Blizzard and D4, at 70e, which already did a better start than any other Blizzard game.
So they don't need that money it's just pure greed. Also there is 2 expansion confirmed, that's gonna be another income for them and I gladly buy them (if I think they are worth it for me). I support many games like Orc Must die, Riftbreaker, Age of Empires II, SnowRunner and many more. I fully agree on the idea to support a game you play a lot. The difference being that there is actual content in those DLC.

Pinball FX is not doing the same numbers as Blizzard, hence the need to recoup money were they can. And I'm pretty sure their price are for more reasonable than Blizzard (could be wrong tho as I don't know their business model).
As I said earlier, what's wrong in putting nice cosmetics in reward for an accomplishment, like completing a hard dungeon, or a series of quest etc...? Then you get a nice thing to do to launch the game and get player engagement

Mossybrew

I just dont get it since your character is the size of a nickel on the screen so who gives a shit what they look like
Right? I bought the battle pass because I'm still enjoying the game and I started a new character for this season, but it's hard to get too excited about customizing your guy when you're looking down from a bird's eye view 99% of the time.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Just saw this, and well...

A dark pattern (also known as a deceptive design pattern) is a user interface that has been carefully crafted to trick users into doing things they don't want to.

dorkimoe

I just dont get it since your character is the size of a nickel on the screen so who gives a shit what they look like
lol thats what ive been saying. I open the store in Apex legends and i see some cool skins that would look great to use. I open the diablo store and im like whats the fucking point of buying boots...in a game where you are constantly surrounded by mobs and youre tiny. They need to add custom effects to skills or something.

Call of Duty Mobile is their most successful game and it's very generous. It's so generous I don't even know what's in the battle pass because I'm drowning in new content, or old content that I missed and is now given away for free.
Hearthstone, Immortal and apparently Diablo 4 are not that user friendly...

radewagon

Since its all cosmetics who cares...doesn't affect the actual gameplay. Should be cheaper but its not a necessity.
This is such a weird argument that I kind of wish would go away. Cosmetic-only is an argument that only proves that putting items behind a paywall isn't going to lead to a pay-to-win scenario, but it doesn't mean that such paywalls aren't still a nickel and dime way of fleecing gamers. Back in the day, cosmetic-only were some of the coolest extras you could unlock in a game. Who doesn't love cosmetic items? Look, rewards are an integral part of game design. The makers of these games know this. Case in point, if these cosmetic rewards were as trivial as some make them out to be, people wouldn't pay money for them.

Minsc

Gold Member
Capcom has done this with both of their fight passes for Street Fighter 6.

Hmm... it's sorta comparable I guess. Monthly vs quarterly, and SF6 appears to be much smaller in ambition than a battle pass (I don't think there's any significant world changing rules or voiced campaign etc).

But you can't exactly get all the premium rewards from the premium path like I was saying and indefinitely keep getting more premium paths can you?

And SF6 also has $30 character passes that are not free at all afaik? So you have the character pass and the fighter pass, but getting the premium fighter pass does not get you the character pass correct, and vice-versa?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is such a weird argument that I kind of wish would go away. Cosmetic-only is an argument that only proves that putting items behind a paywall isn't going to lead to a pay-to-win scenario, but it doesn't mean that such paywalls aren't still a nickel and dime way of fleecing gamers. Back in the day, cosmetic-only were some of the coolest extras you could unlock in a game. Who doesn't love cosmetic items? Look, rewards are an integral part of game design. The makers of these games know this. Case in point, if these cosmetic rewards were as trivial as some make them out to be, people wouldn't pay money for them.

People begged for the ability to outright buy the little outfits they wanted, instead of gambling on loot boxes.

Where did these people think this was going to go?

Fuz

Banned
Haha no, but I dated a Greek girl decades ago with that name.She was a bitch but I loved her name.
"Aresti" means "wild, untamed" in Sardinian.
(It's a bit of a situational term, when referred to someone it might means "wild" but it might even mean "shy", "unapproachable" or "diffident".)
Educate Yourself Shooting Star GIF

bender

What time is it?
But you can't exactly get all the premium rewards from the premium path like I was saying and indefinitely keep getting more premium paths can you?

There are 20 free tiers and 30 premium tiers. The Premium Pass costs 250 Fighter Coins which is $5.00 USD. The last 10 tiers of premium is all Fighting Coins that total up to 250 coins. It's 500 Kudos (experience) per level and almost everything you do gets you Kudos (an online match is 30 Kudos). They also have daily, weekly and monthly challenges that are really easy to complete that give you bonus Kudos (play one match, get 200 Kudos for a daily challenge). They also have double Kudos days on the 10th and 20th of every month. That's all to say, completing the battle passes has been really easy to do and I'm not that hardcore of a player. It all feels incredibly fair which is a feeling I haven't had since Overwatch 1. I'm curious to see if it remains the same.

edit: Forgot to mention, as usual, you can buy tier skips.

Last edited:
Blizz being Blizz, what else is new? That said, I'm already level 50 on the BP andI don't see the point of getting the premium pass anyway. Not very impressed by the cosmetics.

gatti-man

Why do people expect free currency at all? If anything it’s a discount for the next pass and it came with a ton of skins and stuff. Y’all just expect support and content for free lol

Boneless

I played one character to level 70 in the first couple of weeks and that's it, I am done with a sour taste left in my mouth.

Bridges

Who honestly expected that paying $10 for the premium BP would generate enough in game currency to cover the price of the next premium BP for free, indefinitely?
Call of Duty and Fortnite both do this.

You still have to grind your way through almost the entire pass to do it, and most players probably just get something from the store instead, but it's a nice show of goodwill towards players in a system otherwise designed to nickel and dime you.

Power Pro

That's like not how any game I've ever heard of ever works, hell I'm even surprised you can earn currency at all to pay for the premium BP.

If you don't want to pay for the premium BP, don't. There's the regular one too, and it's free.
You could totally pay for Fortnite's BP with earned currency indefinitely, at least up to this point. So yeah, a free game can do it, but a $70 game can't?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I find it strange how people fall for the bullshit and hype from these companies every single time. What has Blizzard done in the past 10 years that would make you think they care about their players and aim to make a sustainable, fair game that is friendly to the people playing it? This is not the company that released Diablo 2 or even Starcraft 2 (which was exploitative in its own way), they're just scum.
Yep, pretty much.

Then why not just include them in the PAID game in the first place? Let people keep playing to earn them in the game vs this battle pass bullshit. I know, the answer is "more money" greed, which is more important to them than the reputation and love of the game from fans.

Last edited:
I find it strange how people fall for the bullshit and hype from these companies every single time. What has Blizzard done in the past 10 years that would make you think they care about their players and aim to make a sustainable, fair game that is friendly to the people playing it? This is not the company that released Diablo 2 or even Starcraft 2 (which was exploitative in its own way), they're just scum.

pretty much everyone including the CEO that made Blizzard great have left a long time ago. This company has been run by people who care only about making their numbers look good in their quarterly reports. They don't give a shit about the players. It's why you get tone deaf decisions like 1.1 patch. "hey, players are progressing too fast and we don't have enough end game content, but we can't afford to have our engagement numbers low. Let's nerf everything to slow the game down!"

it's also why you malicious things like this.

cripterion

I'm done with this POS anyway, had the deluxe edition but don't even feel like going through another run.
Game is so dull and a pure reflection of what Blizzard is nowadays.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Which is why Fortnite is still the king of battlepasses regardless what you think of what's actually in it cosmetic wise. 8 euro for 1000 v-bucks and 950 v-bucks for the pass and you get 1450 v-bucks by the end of the pass. All games should adopt this kind of way.

Yup fortnite learnt the best way, but to be fair they have so many devs working on it maybe only they can support a game that way.

A battle pass should be made to incentivise you to log in and play each day, to unlock stuff and when you're logged in you may see something you want to purchase. Epic were geniuses with that shit.

Top Bottom