• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4's first Battle Pass doesn't give enough Platinum for the cheapest store item, let alone the next pass

This is such a weird argument that I kind of wish would go away. Cosmetic-only is an argument that only proves that putting items behind a paywall isn't going to lead to a pay-to-win scenario, but it doesn't mean that such paywalls aren't still a nickel and dime way of fleecing gamers. Back in the day, cosmetic-only were some of the coolest extras you could unlock in a game. Who doesn't love cosmetic items? Look, rewards are an integral part of game design. The makers of these games know this. Case in point, if these cosmetic rewards were as trivial as some make them out to be, people wouldn't pay money for them.
I don't disagree that the prices are high, my only point is as long as the core gameplay loop isn't affected cosmetics are one of the lesser things that matter in a game. Considering we all survived the pay to win era that still exist in many MMO's while yes it would be nice if the cosmetics were cheaper they matter very little in the long run compared to the experience. I think what matters more are the even cosmetics that show you completed an event or did something really tough for the reward. Thats more important to have well balanced than what you buy. Like people talk about the cosmetics being expensive as a demerit on the core game itself...you not playing diablo 4 anymore because the helm you like is too expensive?

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
same. diablo is dead to me. which is sad. i played the SHIT out of 1+2, 3 was ok.
3 was garbage until they started to do seasons and Grifts, but, then... you're on an extremely repetitive grind. I found the repetitiveness of D2 LOD far more enticing, or, I did.. till they nerfed Cows. Baal runs eventually wore me out till I quit the game.

What I enjoyed thoroughly was D3s gameplay at higher Rift levels, it was chaos and enjoyable.

MMaRsu

Banned
This is such a weird argument that I kind of wish would go away. Cosmetic-only is an argument that only proves that putting items behind a paywall isn't going to lead to a pay-to-win scenario, but it doesn't mean that such paywalls aren't still a nickel and dime way of fleecing gamers. Back in the day, cosmetic-only were some of the coolest extras you could unlock in a game. Who doesn't love cosmetic items? Look, rewards are an integral part of game design. The makers of these games know this. Case in point, if these cosmetic rewards were as trivial as some make them out to be, people wouldn't pay money for them.
Sadly this knowledge is lost on the younger generation as publishers have indoctrinated users that this is very normal.

graywolf323

This right here…this is exactly why I didn’t buy the game when I heard it would have battle passes. Fuck that.
same, I nearly caved during all the launch hype but I was in the middle of another game so I held off

glad I did with everything that’s been happening post-launch, I’ll just pick it up on sale eventually for the campaign

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

I don't like cosmetic items. You asked.

Freeman76

I got the BP with the edition of the game I bought, as I thought it would be worth it. Just unlocked the level 90 reward, and what a load of shit the whole thing was. What I did like was it gave me extra stuff to do, but ironically the only thing I will use from the entirety of 90 levels is horse armour, the thing that started it all 🤣

Filben

Not Surprised. Last time I checked OW's BP didn't give you any currency you could buy the BP with. You only got a miniscule amount of currency from weekly challenges which required you to grind for something like six months every single week to earn a legendary skin.

Blizzard is pretty shit about that.

Fuz

Banned
Patrick Stewart Cheers GIF by Blunt Talk

Drizzlehell

Banned
This right here…this is exactly why I didn’t buy the game when I heard it would have battle passes. Fuck that.
Same here.

Everyone kept saying that the game will be fine and that "you don't need to buy cosmetics, bro" but no one ever considers how the game's overall design will be impacted by the inclusion of that garbage. Just look back at Shadow of War for a decent example of how a game was ruined by "harmless" cosmetics, and how it was improved by their removal.

Things are only going to get worse for D4.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Same here.

Everyone kept saying that the game will be fine and that "you don't need to buy cosmetics, bro" but no one ever considers how the game's overall design will be impacted by the inclusion of that garbage. Just look back at Shadow of War for a decent example of how a game was ruined by "harmless" cosmetics, and how it was improved by their removal.

Things are only going to get worse for D4.
100%. It’s beyond me how people keep falling for it.

Top Bottom