• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I do the right thing, taking a break from friendship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brofield

EDIT: Goddamn this turned out way longer than expected. There's a tl;dr at the end, but I'd say otherwise if you really feel like reading this while listening to sappy 90s songs, go for it. I've had "Save Tonight" on repeat as of late.

I dunno what I'm looking for here, genuine advice, a sympathetic pat on the back, a kick in the sack...it's just really confusing, and honestly downright scary, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

Me: 22 year old male. University graduate. Currently attending college. Not a virgin, had one girlfriend that lasted a month (unrelated). Not as socially retarded as I was before when it comes to women, but still infrequent outbursts.

Backstory: I met this girl, we'll call her Cayla, first year of University. To be honest I was crushing on her hard as soon as we met. Unfortunately for me, that was a one way street. I did my best to bury it in my mind, and even when she got a boyfriend later, I was mostly successful...until she mentioned after a double movie feature one night, "If I wasn't dating [him], I would totally go on a date with you." Which, in my mind, understandably broke the Hoover Dam I built, and for the next couple years I could not stop thinking about her.

Here's where it shifts into high gear:

November (2013): She breaks up with her boyfriend of four years. Understandably, she's upset. I am there for her only as a friend. I visit her to cheer her up. In the back of my mind a faint glimmer of hope, but even then I would never dare impose myself on her.

December: We're both drunk at a Christmas party. At some point she's telling me and other friends about how she met up with a guy, started seeing and sleeping with him casually. A flare of rage suddenly comes to me, but I suppress it quickly enough. "It's her life. She can do what she wants. I am not a part of it." I think to myself. Afterwards I go back to her house and crash on her futon. I sit down, pull her down to sit next to me, and we just do a weird side hug for a bit.

Her: "Brofield, you're one of my best friends. And I know it's not what you want to hear-"
Me: "No, I know Cayla. I have to learn to accept that. And I will. Just give it time."

She gets up and offers to get me a glass of water. In my drunken stupor I get up to follow her, but she's already back in the same room as me. She sets down the glass and we then hug again standing for a good ten minutes.

"It's not as though I don't like you, I'm just scared I might lose you as a friend."

I say we can talk about this later, and obviously she's still getting over her ex, we definitely don't have to do or say anything right now.

Next morning I go home, a few days later she texts me asking if we should talk. I say I want to as well, but only in person. She agrees.

January: Waking up after a New Year's party, she decides to make sure I'm really awake by jumping on top of me and straddling me before falling down and hugging me. She tells me to scooch over and let her snuggle under the sheets with me, and then proceeds to tell me breakfast will be ready shortly. Afterwards, I'm driving her home. We decide 45 minuntes in a car alone is as good as ever to talk. I tell her how I've had a crush on her for five years now and counting, and how despite every other girl I may have liked or talked to, it always came back to her. Cayla says that she can't deny she's felt something for me to, but obviously not as strongly since she was dating someone else. We talked about how to date now would simply be catastrophic, and the implications of "what if" we broke up and effectively separated our friend group (because we are that closeknit; both blessing and curse). At the same time, the idea of after she got over her ex, and we both found ourselves single, we should give it a shot; avoid awkward first dates, just boyfriend and girlfriend from the get go. But we agreed I would not wait for her; that I would not pass up the One for me just because I might have a shot for Cayla. I dropped her off at home, we said we were still cool, all was well.

Later in the month, we join our University for a ski trip up north. I drive just the two of us, and we're talking about this and that. At some point it turns into sex talk. I'm a little awkward about it at first, but it seems to start to flow naturally as well as any other conversation. We get up to the chalet at night, meet up with our friends sharing the room with us. The slopes are closed, so I pull out my laptop to watch YouTube and Netflix. At one point she decides to sit on my lap. We goof around a little, inbetween me tickling her and giving her a light shoulder massage. I don't think much of it at first, but over the next few nights I get a few drinks in me. Knowing I could say something stupid to her, I try and seek out other friends. At first for a good time to distract my mind, but later asking for advice on what to do about Cayla. After the weekend the drive home is a cool silence. We still talked, but not as much as before. Mostly listened to the radio.

February: She hosts a party at her house, it's a good time. Says I should go out on a date with one of her friends. I smile and make up some bullshit excuse. In the morning, I help clean up after, and for some reason I feel an urge inside me to leave, but I stick around until noon, just sitting down and sharing the couch with her as she recovers from her hangover. Sometime during that I decide just placing my hand on her knee, casually rubbing it. She looks up and asks me what I'm doing. I'm not sure either, so I try and play it off as a joke and say I don't know what I'm doing either. I leave not long after, hug goodbye, and overthink every weird thing I've said and done in her presence since November, wondering if I'm overstepping boundaries.

We go see a concert on a weekend near my new college, and it was fun. We stop for dinner on the way out. She's telling me stories of this guy she's casually seeing. How one time she almost killed him by accident, when she was doing yoga in his apartment one morning in only her underwear, and he comes up behind to smack her on the ass, so she turns around and kicks him, not expecting him to fall down the stairs. A pang in my stomach let me wish I was the one who got to smack her on the ass. Not even in a sexual way, just a "We're comfortable with each other" kind of way. After the concert, we were joking though how old we were getting when we were ready to go to bed by 10. Afterwards, I let her sleep in my bed, and I unfolded a couple sleeping bags for myself on the floor. She asked if I had any long shirts for her to wear, and she joked if her not wearing pants would provoke me into a lustful rage. I joked back saying I tend to keep it in my pants, that I'm not the rape-y type. That night was a very fitful sleep. Woke up every couple of hours. Started thinking and overthinking about her. When we both woke up I told her to shift so I could sleep on the bed with her, and we both just lied there, talking about whatever, but still groggy from just waking up. I take her home again, and tell her we'll meet up at a friend's birthday party that same night. I meet her again, and we're talking again, about music this time. I show surprise when she tells me she listens to Springsteen, and then she lists off a whole bunch of bands we have in common. Making me feel like an idiot, and suddenly a little quote popping in my head: "Couples who share music tastes are better able to communicate". I sort of retreat inside myself for the next 30 seconds of car ride. Party is good, but I have to go to another one that same night in the city. She asks if she can join me, I say sure. The car ride is unusally quiet, and just before we pass her house she says she's actually feeling pretty tired, so I take her home quick before heading on to the bar.

March (2014): She messages me on facebook, saying that she "wants to talk about stuff, like feelings and things. So next time you're in the city let me know". I start panicking, flipping between "maybe she finally realized feelings for me and we'll be happy forever" to "she hates me entirely and I'm going to die alone and depressed in a ditch and no one will mourn my death not then not now not ever" (this also came at a time when I learned I failed two courses in school, hence the drama). I started seeing a counselor at school, and I came to realize that this 'crush' I've had on her for five years is obviously something more, but if it's unrequited it's only toxic to my mindset. I firmly resolve that this obviously can't work out, that I need to eliminate these feelings for her entirely. I figure that I have to take a break from our friendship. I ask her one night if we really can talk soon, it's important to me. She says we'll meet up this weekend.

We meet up at a diner for brunch last Sunday. She can't stay long, but that's okay. We make small talk for half an hour, all about Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, all that fun stuff. Then she finally asks "what's on your mind?" I tell her that over the past couple of months, I've realized my feelings for her have only grown stronger. I can't keep my promise anymore that I won't wait for her, and that's not fair to her or me, so I say I need to take a hiatus of friendship to sort myself out. She looks at her food, and just says "Oh...". Responds to a few texts with the guy she's casually seeing. Asks if I'm okay with getting that off my chest, I say no, of course not. I ask her in turn what she wanted to talk to me about. She says the point is moot now, but that my gestures and things I've said were making her uncomfortable, like I was trying to force something to happen, and that she wanted me to stop. I just looked back to my own food. She then starts laughing to herself, and I ask her what's funny. She says, "Oh, it's just that we'll never be friends again. We're never going to talk or see each other again. It's happened before." I say that's not going to be the case, but she doesn't believe me. At one point I see her shake a little out of the corner of my eye; out of rage or about to cry, I have no idea. I pay the bill as we leave, saying I don't want her half of the money. She doesn't argue. We go to the subway, and as we're about to take two different directions, we stand there. I'm trying to think of something to say to end the awkward silence, but nothing comes to mind. She turns to me and says "Fuck it, come here." We have one last hug. After we end the embrace she smiles and says "I hope you know I'm so angry with you right now I want to kick you in the nuts." I give a sad smile and tell her no more so than I. We go our separate ways.

I talk to one of my best friends about what happened; apparently she texted him after saying I would need a friend. I give him the lowdown, and he suggests I send a single text detailing that this will not be the end of our friendship. I do so, telling her that this is so that we don't have to keep revisiting this issue every damn time, so we can both get on with our lives (in much better words than that; i know this post is getting incredibly verbose).

Now: Posting on GAF, going to bed each night since with at least a Guinness and a half in my system, craving cigars. Getting catfished on Tinder, not giving a fuck, still getting laid. Occasionally creeping her facebook and instagram. She hasn't deleted me off either, and I don't intend to do the same. That would only make her feel like we really weren't going to be friends again.

QUESTION OF THE HOUR

Did I do the right thing, GAF? Obviously I like her, I still do, God knows this crush is more than that at this point (but I won't ever admit it verbally or written or otherwise), but do you think this will work, cutting off all communication with her? She's truly amazing, I owe her so much, and I don't want to lose her as a friend either. And I understand why she's upset, and she's free to be angry with me, but I'm the one stressing if this is the right decision. I don't know if it'll be a few months, or even years. It's just...fuck, man...

tl;dr I liked a girl so much I have to stop being friends with her so I can stop liking her. What do you think? (outside of me being a little bitch)

DanteFox

First off, holy crap.

Second, I want you to read your op as if someone else had written it. Be as objective as possible. You'll know you've achieved this when you're cringing so hard that you're dead ancestors are, in turn, cringing.

Third, forget about this tease chick and go meet new girls. There's thousands of girls out there. Don't get hung up on one girl just because you've known her for a few months.

I'd say you did the right thing, since your feelings won't go away. No point in waiting around for something that may or may not happen. Best to move on in life, and learn from past experience. I usually find the sooner you try to make something happen with a girl you're interested, the better. Helps you avoid long drawn out, and painful situations such as these. You're still young though, so hopefully you meet someone else who gives you a similar feeling (that is reciprocated!) in the future.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Stop being so harsh on yourself. Dont apologize for things you cant control (feelings, attraction)

Its only bad if you're leading people on and only pretend to be friends but you seem to communicate well.

Daft_Cat

I don't know man. I think there's probably more important things that life's got in store for you in the next couple of years. Best not to waste too much of your time reflecting on some girl that you like that you clearly won't end up dating.

Brofield

First off, holy crap.

Second, I want you to read your op as if someone else had written it. Be as objective as possible. You'll know you've achieved this when you're cringing so hard that you're dead ancestors are, in turn, cringing.

Third, forget about this tease chick and go meet new girls. There's thousands of girls out there. Don't get hung up on one girl just because you've known her for a few months.

Oh, trust me I'm already at the cringing part. This whole thing makes me wonder if I truly am an avid masochist. And as I've said though, five years. Even beyond the teasing bullshit she's still an incredible friend.

At this point in the game, Tinder has been what I've been doing to meet new girls. Went on a couple dates with two of them each, and though the conversation was fine I certainly felt no physical attraction to either. I'm still an introvert at heart which is why the bar or club scene really doesn't work for me.

A pang in my stomach let me wish I was the one who got to smack her on the ass. Not even in a sexual way, just a "We're comfortable with each other" kind of way. After the concert, we were joking though how old we were getting when we were ready to go to bed by 10. Afterwards, I let her sleep in my bed, and I unfolded a couple sleeping bags for myself on the floor. She asked if I had any long shirts for her to wear, and she joked if her not wearing pants would provoke me into a lustful rage. I joked back saying I tend to keep it in my pants, that I'm not the rape-y type.

You sound really awkward and borderline creepy here, so leaving her alone is probably the right thing to do.

Thing is, you aren't friends with her, you're just selfishly waiting for her to want you, so it's best to let her out of what she imagines (falsely) is an actual friendship.

You eventually did the right thing. You just took way too long and tortured yourself for too long before you did it.

If you want a girl and she doesn't want you (i.e. she is seeing anyone else) then you need to stop being friends. Unless you are a masochist, you're doing no favours to yourself by continuing to be there for her under the pretense that something could maybe happen eventually. It's also creepy when behind everything you do is this hidden intent that you think will get her to see that she should be dating you. She made that pretty clear the last time you talked.

Trust me I've been in the same boat, just not for so long. Should have broken it off as soon as she started seeing other guys and saved yourself a LOT of time.

kirblar

You have to cut off most contact for now if the feelings aren't reciprocated. There's just not another option that lets you keep your sanity. It sucks for everyone involved, but these things happen, and you need to be able to move on.

Better late than never to have cut this out and cut her off, OP.

Do yourself a favor and make extra sure that you don't re-encounter her deliberately, too. Gotta move on!

butalala

I was in a similar situation for a long time, though not as long as you, and cutting contact was what I had to do. I'm in a much better place now than I was then. I think you made the right choice.

Salamando

You made the right choice. She has no interest in being your girlfriend, and you can't be just her friend. You both sound like great people, just incompatible at this point in time.

CloudWolf

From the way that last big paragraph reads I'd say that even if you decide to keep talking to her, she will probably give you the cold shoulder from now on. Learn to accept it and move on with your life. I was in a similar situation a while ago when a girl suddenly decided she couldn't be my friend anymore after I 'misbehaved' myself in front of her when I was drunk, only she didn't do me the favor of telling me and instead she just cut off all communication. It bothered me for a while, but once you get past it you'll feel better than before.

Cyan

Banned
tl;dr I liked a girl so much I have to stop being friends with her so I can stop liking her. What do you think? (outside of me being a little bitch)

Didn't read the whole OP
(*bans self*)
, but just from the bit I read... yes. Of course this was the correct thing to do. Your friendship was based on, essentially, lies. You alternately lied to yourself that she would eventually reciprocate your romantic interest or that you didn't care, and you lied to her that you just wanted to be friends and were ok with that. Obviously none of those were true. You were making yourself miserable and her uncomfortable.

Can you be friends with her again someday? Maybe, but that question is still tied in with your unrequited feelings for her blah blah blah. So for now, the answer is no. Don't give yourself that out. You should be cutting off the friendship entirely: no texts, no calls, no hanging out, no Facebook stalking. Anything else will just tempt you to pretend you're over it and jump right back into the same place you were before.

In short, good for you for finally doing the right thing and stopping the lies. Now keep it that way.

SMH.....I am physically angry after reading all of that.....I cannot believe you tortured yourself like that for that long and I can't believe that she was perfectly fine with watching you do it.

She isn't your friend, has zero respect for you (because you have zero respect for you), and she's never going to see you as a romantic option. You need forget about her.

Learn from this experience, and don't ever "talk" about your feelings with someone you're not in a relationship with.

God, I really don't understand how guys can have strong romantic feelings for a girl, girl knows how you feel, and still decides to tell you about how she's screwing other guys.She's basically saying "Fuck you" and you're just saying "ok"

QUESTION OF THE HOUR

Did I do the right thing, GAF? Obviously I like her, I still do, God knows this crush is more than that at this point (but I won't ever admit it verbally or written or otherwise), but do you think this will work, cutting off all communication with her? She's truly amazing, I owe her so much, and I don't want to lose her as a friend either. And I understand why she's upset, and she's free to be angry with me, but I'm the one stressing if this is the right decision. I don't know if it'll be a few months, or even years. It's just...fuck, man...

You did the right thing. You were never going to be just friends and be happy.

Get out there and start actually dating. Keep trying. You'll get it eventually and not stay trapped in infatuation. You're very young. Life will get you to where you need to go. Look at Ted Mosby, for crying out loud...

PorllM

Banned
Holy shit dude.

Personally I would have stayed friends with her. I once had a girl I was close friends with and I really liked, sorta similar situation I guess. I gave up and got another girlfriend, and my gf wasn't happy with me speaking to this girl because she knew I'd had feelings for her, so I stopped to make my new gf feel better.

3 years later, me and that gf have broken up, and me and the original girl are currently seeing each other....my point being that happened now, when we're speaking to each other. Nothing happened when we weren't speaking.

If there's any chance anything might ever happen, you shouldn't lose touch with this girl.

With that said, you were obviously feeling bad enough that you felt you had to, so who am I to tell you different...

Don't you think being friends, and being an important part of her life is better than being nothing though? Even if it hurts to see her with someone else...

I hope you work out your feelings and get to be friends, even if it's a long way in the future like what happened to me.

SMH.....I am physically angry after reading all of that.....I cannot believe you tortured yourself like that for that long and I can't believe that she was perfectly fine with watching you do it.

She isn't your friend, has zero respect for you (because you have zero respect for you), and she's never going to see you as a romantic option. You need forget about her.

Learn from this experience, and don't ever "talk" about your feelings with someone you're not in a relationship with.

She isn't the one who was in a friendship with someone she had no desire to be a friend to. I don't even know where you start to blame her for this situation.

Jesus.

depths20XX

Wow, how can you crush on a girl for 5 years who is clearly not interested in you that way.

I mean that takes a lot of ignorance to go that long.

SpyGuy239

OP it seems to me as a third party that she is using you.

And for yourself, it seems you may have come off a little creepy at times as well.

I think you did the right thing taking a break from the friendship. In fact, I think you should consider making it a permanent one. it will be good for your future to move on with your life, and hopefully I'm sure you will meet someone who is really right for you and in a few years time, you'll looking back at this and laugh at yourself.

Don't torture yourself anymore please.

January: Waking up after a New Year's party, she decides to make sure I'm really awake by jumping on top of me and straddling me before falling down and hugging me. She tells me to scooch over and let her snuggle under the sheets with me, and then proceeds to tell me breakfast will be ready shortly. Afterwards, I'm driving her home. We decide 45 minuntes in a car alone is as good as ever to talk. I tell her how I've had a crush on her for five years now and counting, and how despite every other girl I may have liked or talked to, it always came back to her. Cayla says that she can't deny she's felt something for me to, but obviously not as strongly since she was dating someone else. We talked about how to date now would simply be catastrophic, and the implications of "what if" we broke up and effectively separated our friend group (because we are that closeknit; both blessing and curse). At the same time, the idea of after she got over her ex, and we both found ourselves single, we should give it a shot; avoid awkward first dates, just boyfriend and girlfriend from the get go. But we agreed I would not wait for her; that I would not pass up the One for me just because I might have a shot for Cayla. I dropped her off at home, we said we were still cool, all was well.

Later in the month, we join our University for a ski trip up north. I drive just the two of us, and we're talking about this and that. At some point it turns into sex talk. I'm a little awkward about it at first, but it seems to start to flow naturally as well as any other conversation. We get up to the chalet at night, meet up with our friends sharing the room with us. The slopes are closed, so I pull out my laptop to watch YouTube and Netflix. At one point she decides to sit on my lap. We goof around a little, inbetween me tickling her and giving her a light shoulder massage. I don't think much of it at first, but over the next few nights I get a few drinks in me. Knowing I could say something stupid to her, I try and seek out other friends. At first for a good time to distract my mind, but later asking for advice on what to do about Cayla. After the weekend the drive home is a cool silence. We still talked, but not as much as before. Mostly listened to the radio.

February: She hosts a party at her house, it's a good time. Says I should go out on a date with one of her friends. I smile and make up some bullshit excuse. In the morning, I help clean up after, and for some reason I feel an urge inside me to leave, but I stick around until noon, just sitting down and sharing the couch with her as she recovers from her hangover. Sometime during that I decide just placing my hand on her knee, casually rubbing it. She looks up and asks me what I'm doing. I'm not sure either, so I try and play it off as a joke and say I don't know what I'm doing either. I leave not long after, hug goodbye, and overthink every weird thing I've said and done in her presence since November, wondering if I'm overstepping boundaries.

She then starts laughing to herself, and I ask her what's funny. She says, "Oh, it's just that we'll never be friends again. We're never going to talk or see each other again. It's happened before." I say that's not going to be the case, but she doesn't believe me. At one point I see her shake a little out of the corner of my eye; out of rage or about to cry, I have no idea. I pay the bill as we leave, saying I don't want her half of the money. She doesn't argue. We go to the subway, and as we're about to take two different directions, we stand there. I'm trying to think of something to say to end the awkward silence, but nothing comes to mind. She turns to me and says "Fuck it, come here." We have one last hug. After we end the embrace she smiles and says "I hope you know I'm so angry with you right now I want to kick you in the nuts." I give a sad smile and tell her no more so than I. We go our separate ways.

QUESTION OF THE HOUR

Good lord this girl obviously enjoys the attention you give her. You absolutely did the right thing, and hell, I'm inclined to tell you to prove her right about no longer be friends ever again. She doesn't deserve your time and attention, OP. Stay strong!

Thorakai

I also skimmed your post, but really the backstory and tl;dr says enough. You don't stay friends with someone you are crushing on. Don't even think about this girl, cut-off all contacts. Having her in your life is just going to distract you from other opportunities. You did the right thing.

Tekniqs

Similar situation as you about 2 years ago. I took a hiatus from out friendship and still on it lol! It's for the best though; she's happy and I'm happy. We're acquaintances more than anything nowadays

Coconut

Banned
Girl handled shit properly in January and that should have set you straight.

Not being friends with her isn't going to help, you just need to hang out with other girls. The major problem is that society tells us that if you are friends will people you should date them, fuck you romcoms.

Accept the fact that you have an awesome close friend.

Mononoke

Banned
Going to be selfish here, and say look out for yourself. If YOU ARE better off not being around her, because you can't squash the crush/feelings you have for her, then don't be around her. No matter how hard you try, deep down those feelings won't go away, and it will always just make you miserable. I believe this would manifest itself in the friendship anyways, and would eventually make her have a bad time with the friendship as well (one could argue, this is exactly what's happening now). But I think bottling it up, and continuing on as if YOU ARE FINE, when you aren't, is just bad trouble.

I guess all I can say is this: how much does the friendship matter to you? You need to think about that seriously. Are you worse off losing the friendship? Or worse off being around her with your feelings (assuming you can't move past them). That's really what you need to ask yourself. Sounds to me like you aren't emotionally mature enough to accept her as just a friend, while also her being with other people (since she's not with you). If that's the case, then break off the friendship ASAP. It's better for you and her, in all honesty.

Edit: I cut down my reply, because I don't have enough info to judge the entire situation. Initial post was a bit unfair.

Zhengi

You did the right thing OP. This is going to hurt for a while, but you can't leave your own fate in the hands of others and need to get on with your life. There will be other girls who will be better for you.

OP, you do not deserve this kind of treatment. Sometimes women keep a guy around to fill their emotional, but not physical needs. So they'll have one guy around to talk about their feelings and keep them balanced, then a disposable guy for romance and sex. The big red flag is her saying that she would go out with you but is afraid of losing you as a friend. RUN!! That's just blatant manipulation. She knows that you like her and want more and is using that as a carrot on a stick so that you'll stick around to be her shoulder to cry on. So she gets what she wants and you are tormented. Not to sound like a pig or anything, but if a girl is going to use you like that, the least she could do is give you a jump every now and then. Then she gets what she wants and you get what you want: quid pro quo.

Tell her to grow up and look for one guy to fulfill her emotional and physical needs. I've been there before too, you just have to stand up for yourself and put your foot down. You'll feel much better. Sounds like she's a good person and friend in other ways, but she's not acting right and needs a reality check if you've described this accurately. The whole thing reminds me of this song:

Black Cow by Steely Dan:
http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/140473/

Coconut

Banned
There you go.

Advice: Move on.

Friend zoned implies at some point it was romantic and he got pushed to the side. OP was always in her eyes a friend. That's something I don't think a lot of you get is that if you don't want stuff like this happening you need to be upfront with your intentions.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You did the right thing.

Give time some time.

And by "giving time some time" I mean stop thinking about her and move on. If you guys are meant to be friends without all the drama, it's bound to happen eventually.

PS.: Be honest about your feelings from the start next time.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
When you are friends with a girl only because you want to get in her pants, you earn your misery.

Amen. Just move along and tell the next girl up front that you're interested and cut the bullshit. This "waiting for an opening" stuff is barely even predatory... it's the behavior of a scavenger.

Get away, go through falling out of love therapy (mine is watching Pushing Daisies until i'm convinced that she couldn't possibly be as perfect as Anna Friel), and then you're free to go back if you have the emotional fortitude to handle being around a girl you loved but couldn't close the deal with.

stn

Okay, there's a lot here. A few things...

-Dude, she has been using you for a very long time. The first shitty thing she did was date another guy but say she'd date you if she wasn't. She was basically attention-whoring and just wanted to see if you had the balls to do something. You didn't. From there, she thought of you as weak.

-I don't think she's your friend at all. For one, all of the interactions you mentioned involved you attempting to do something sexually or relationship-y, but failing because of your own uncertainty.

-Also, she has KNOWN about your feelings for her but has still toyed with your emotions through her physical contact and teasing. Dude, she has been doing whatever she wants with you because she didn't/doesn't think there would be consequences. She knows you like her and yet she talks about other guys, jumps on you, and spends a ridiculous amount of time with you? Sorry, that's like some form of mental torture.

-Also, she's not your friend because you had to split from her in order to ease your mind. Dude, be honest with yourself. You like her sexually. She is not a friend. Stop with that horseshit. Also, she just sees you as someone she can vent to emotionally.

So, here's what you NEED to do for yourself so that you can become stronger.

1. If you like a girl, make a move immediately. No long conversations about feelings and "I'll wait for you" and all that blah blah blah.
2. Stop divulging your feelings to girls, it never works unless you're already in a relationship
3. Stop being passive. Assert your rights and refuse things that you don't want.
4. Don't drink at hangouts just so you can shield yourself. Stay sober and address your problems in a sober way.
5. Meet girls who don't want to use you (there are many, go find them).

More questions? Pop over to Dating-Age in the OT.

EDIT: Here's why its NEVER useful to blurt out feelings.

Guy: *blurts feelings*
Girl: I'm not interested

Guy: Join me for a coffee.
Girl: I'm not interested

Same fucking answer, zero drama and crap involved. You could have just asked her for a drink and a good time, if she wasn't interested--which she wasn't--then you could have avoided all of this. The secret to dating is to keep it simple! Always.

Best thing to do is move on. Were you really a friend to her or were you a friend to her for the hope that she would like you back?

Why would you put yourself in that situation in which you are hurt and depressed every time you hear about her with someone else or see her with someone else. All that does is ruin your chances with lots of other great people because you are mopey over one.

Listen to this man, bro-GAF. I wish someone had spoke the hard truth to me years ago. I spent too much of my life living the "nice guy" lie and don't ever want to be in that situation again.

If you're into a girl, make it known. Don't be dishonest with yourself or with her because it's not helping anyone.

Goliath

Dude you did the right thing. Don't beat yourself up or let others on here beat you up for taking some time to figure out the best path. Others make far worse mistakes that have long lasting consequences.

In the end, I have come across this kind of girl and she is the kind of girl that likes to have guys around her as "friends" but really they are just a bunch of guys boosting up her self esteem on a regular basis because they wanna get with her while she plays "naive" and oblivious to what is going on.

Don't worry about it or over think it. She was using you for attention and a self esteem boost. She isn't evil but she would never make a good GF, trust me on that. Your best bet is to work on boosting up your self esteem. Work out, join groups or take cooking classes, things that will change up your lifestyle and help you meet new people while improving yourself and boost up your confidence.

Then when you meet up with those kind of tease girls, you'll be the one she is banging while stringing along her "guy friends", lol. But seriously don't date these kind of girls, just have your fun and move on, they make HORRIBLE GF.

OP, you did the right thing, but as others have mentioned, it was a long time coming. What struck me as most bizarre was that you guys hung out and she'd start casually mentioning other people she was seeing. Not a good sign. That said, she wasn't drowning in ignorance here, and she certainly enabled your crush via straddling, talking about sex, saying "Oh, I wish I could date you, if I wasn't seeing all these random guys."

There are plenty of instances where one person leads the other on, but in this case, Cayla seemed incredibly forthright about her dating life. And even offering to hook you up one of her friends? That's pretty much the universally accepted pivot point as to where you've got to start focusing your attention elsewhere.

Also, it's not healthy to review your post and look for missed opportunities, like, "If only I'd done this in January, we might be together!" Because, at this point in time, the difference between your feelings for each other is a Balkanized powder keg. Take some time off; give her space. Friendships come and go for lots of reasons: unrequited love, distance, time, kids, fights, loans, whatever. You're just not in a healthy place to be near her now, because you can't control yourself. Whether Cayla was a tease and goaded you on is immaterial, because I highly suspect that if if she said she were willing to give it a go, you might show up on the first date with three dozen roses and an engagement ring, whereas with another girl, you'd just be your Bro-self.

So, for the love of god, date other people
and when you do you'd better not compare them to her

stn

^She only offered to hook him up with one of her friends because she knew he probably wouldn't do it. I'll bet any money she would have got a hard on for him if he actually ended up picking up one of her friends. It was just a bluff.

^She only offered to hook him up with one of her friends because she knew he probably wouldn't do it. I'll bet any money she would have got a hard on for him if he actually ended up picking up one of her friends. It was just a bluff.

That's possible. I mostly meant that, when a girl you're interested in says, "Here, meet my friend Jane," your chances just went to 0% and it's time to start looking elsewhere entirely.

Halcyon

I've sort of read this thread. What I will say is that you need to move on and use this as a learning experience.

You're putting the pussy on a pedestal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom