• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Tekken 8 reveal trailer hurt the game rather than help it?

Spyxos

Tekken fans will surely remember the very good-looking Tekken 8 reveal trailer.

The problem for me is that everything they showed after that looks significantly worse. With all the new trailers I just thought. Meh, I expected more. Sure it looks better than Tekken 7, but nowhere near as good as first shown. What do you think?

Last edited:

DiGiTMerc

Banned
Tekken deserve more series, movie in super high quality. Epic clashes, destructive and impactful moments, that definitely feels great. NGL. The Trailer looks epic as always.

btw, is it me or does Tekken 6 Kazuya vs Jin trailer looked more epic at first ? :D

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm not sure how hurt it? Other than those on internet who are obsess with graphics are not happy, most normal people happy with what they shown with Tekken 8 so far.
I normally agree with your 'graphics don't matter' stance but they are trying to advertise the game, and great graphics are an amazing way of catching people's attention

Liamario

Banned
Paul Phoenix's hair is ridiculous. But on a more serious note, I got beta access and I didn't like what I played. I stopped being interested after the PS VITA game, I think that was Dark Resurrection. What I played of the beta was graphically very impressive, but also incredibly busy. It's not the same game it once was.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I normally agree with your 'graphics don't matter' stance but they are trying to advertise the game, and great graphics are an amazing way of catching people's attention
Remember how we had thread about Street Fighter 6 was "mid" just because of the graphics? And guess what? When it come out all that complain became worthless because people simply enjoying the crap of the game.

Also the graphics in Tekken 8 pretty damn good but for graphic whores its not good enough.

Spyxos

Remember how we had thread about Street Fighter 6 was "mid" just because of the graphics? And guess what? When it come out all that complain became worthless because people simply enjoying the crap of the game.

Also the graphics in Tekken 8 pretty damn good but for graphic whores its not good enough.
Street Fighter 6 also didn't advertise with false promises. They showed right away what it really looks like.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Street Fighter 6 also didn't advertise with false promises. They showed right away what it really looks like.
It just cinematic version of gameplay with weather effects which Tekken series always done and the actual still looks really good.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
how do you know that the reveal trailer isn't a false promise and it's a stage that's in the game? Maybe it's an unlock.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why would it hurt it? Visuals aren’t the main driver for sales for these games.

Most people are more concerned with the network code.

PeteBull

Pr0 tip for future- dont judge game graphics by their bullshots/fake/not real gameplay trailers, we always get plenty of those, every gen, wait till we get actual gameplay footage then judge the game's graphics based on that.
Here examples of very (in)famous bullshot trailers, im sure u guys saw them but forgot about them, many studios does it like that, even top quality ones.
Witcher 3 bullshot trailer vs actual launch trailer

Uncharted 4 trailer(which was supposed to be 60fps lol;P) vs again how it turned out(still great, just lower quality vs bullshot trailer and ofc 30fps, not 60)

There are many more like those, to not look far, spiderman2 reveal trailer vs actual gameplay from the game(some cutscenes in there too but way lower quality)

Edmund

Hot Take - all the people complaining about tekken 8's graphics are filthy casuals who just wants to roll their faces on their controller and think they are legit at fighting games.

You also feel entitled to free dlc/characters and most probably cannot get out of green ranks in tekken.

You just want to whine and feel important.

Tekken fans will surely remember the very good-looking Tekken 8 reveal trailer.

The problem for me is that everything they showed after that looks significantly worse. With all the new trailers I just thought. Meh, I expected more. Sure it looks better than Tekken 7, but nowhere near as good as first shown. What do you think?

I agree, it looks worse.

Spyxos

Hot Take - all the people complaining about tekken 8's graphics are filthy casuals who just wants to roll their faces on their controller and think they are legit at fighting games.

You also feel entitled to free dlc/characters and most probably cannot get out of green ranks in tekken.

Boombox Shut Up GIF

It showed glimpses of the potential the game could achieve. I also felt a bit of that promise in the Lars trailer. To me everything else was mediocre and disappointing. A reminder of how far the quality of the franchise has fallen.

P.S. I really hate the design, background, and loading in the character select screen for the beta. I hope they can polish the game before release so it will not be the epitome of disappointment that Tekken 7 was.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It showed glimpses of the potential the game could achieve. I also felt a bit of that promise in the Lars trailer. To me everything else was mediocre and disappointing. A reminder of how far the quality of the franchise has fallen.

P.S. I really hate the design, background, and loading in the character select screen for the beta. I hope they can polish the game before release so it will not be the epitome of disappointment that Tekken 7 was.

The best selling game in the franchise, with the biggest player retention, and most active pro scene is…. The epitome of disappointment? Harada would pimp slap you reading this.

I always thought that trailer was some piece from a story mode where having absolute performance isn't necessary and they took liberties with the graphics. Maybe that's too much credit to give them.

Harada even said that he think they need to improve the graphic but everyone online said "wtf are you talking about, it looks great already".

They even use this as closed beta opening cinematic and nobody give a fuck.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The only 3 characters that I have value in Tekken are Xiaoyu, Jun (Despite their bad decisions) and Alisa.

If it's not for those characters, I wouldn't be interested in the video game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Name one thing Tekken 7 does better than its peers or even its prequels.
Large roster. Fun. Well balanced. Lots of customization for casuals. Hype to watch.

Does a game need to be “better” than its peers if it’s on equal footing ?

T7 lacked in the online functionality. Compared to Virtua Fighter, soul caliber , and dead or alive it’s carrying 3D fighters on its back. SF5 suffered for a long time before it became good and T7 was ahead of it except online functionality which is still cheeks IMO.

T7 is a damn good game, and myself (& many more than ever) enjoyed it to this day. I’m sorry you’re the outlier and didn’t enjoy it. T8 looks like an improvement over 7 in every way. If it looks bad to you then the franchise isn’t for you anymore.

Large roster. Fun. Well balanced. Lots of customization for casuals. Hype to watch.

Does a game need to be “better” than its peers if it’s on equal footing ?

T7 lacked in the online functionality. Compared to Virtua Fighter, soul caliber , and dead or alive it’s carrying 3D fighters on its back. SF5 suffered for a long time before it became good and T7 was ahead of it except online functionality which is still cheeks IMO.

T7 is a damn good game, and myself (& many more than ever) enjoyed it to this day. I’m sorry you’re the outlier and didn’t enjoy it. T8 looks like an improvement over 7 in every way. If it looks bad to you then the franchise isn’t for you anymore.
1. Roster of Tekken 7 is filled with half baked concepts like Gigas, Katrina, Claudio, Shaheen, Eliza, Noctis, and Negan not to mention the absurdity of two slots wasted on bears. Even so, it is still a few characters short of Tekken Tag 2's offerings. That said, a large roster is not necessarily a good thing for a fighting game as it can dilute the experience with bad additions, especially if half the roster is behind a paywall.
2. What is fun about it? The modes included are few and of low quality (so low that they could not even get Arcade mode right) and the online as mentioned is bad.
3. The balance is subpar when you have characters as bad as Gigas and characters as good as Akuma in the same roster. That is not even taking into account the developer intentionally releasing DLC characters like Fahkuram in a broken overpowered state.
4. The bulk of cutomization is ill-fitting clothes (like generic graphic T-shirts) and idiotic head ornaments. It also has the worst color system ever implemented and lacks decals from Tag 2.
5. Hype is not a feature. The mechanics they implemented to diversify the visual spectacle of the game ruined the momentum of combat and highlighted the bad physics interaction and clipping.
6. Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Shodown and Dead or Alive 6 are head and shoulders above any Tekken mechanically. They just do not have the same brand of legacy and marketing. Probably not the budget either despite their craftsmanship.
7. Street Fighter 5 is still not good compared to the games that came before it. It is why so many jumped on Street Fighter VI at the first opportunity.
8. I will reserve judgement of whether Tekken 8 is for me until I get to play it with others.

Last edited:
It looks pretty good, BAMCO Europe's 4K videos are doing the game justice.

You have to look the game in 4K, otherwise it's bust.

I think the game looks good too.

But the character model in intro looks better than the character model in the fight. Not really a big problem for me but it would be nice if they use the same model.

Rickyiez

Stealth Tekken 8 looking mid thread :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I actually think there isn't anything impressive about it .

Last edited:

StueyDuck

As a tekken fan I don't really care about visuals, it's the most fun fighting game for me personally so I'll always grab one when it plays well

I am not someone who takes the game seriously though, for me it's just a party game or a game to play for a quick few rounds before doing something else, whether the pro l33t fgc have been put off by it I cannot say

Rheon

I think the game looks good too.

But the character model in intro looks better than the character model in the fight. Not really a big problem for me but it would be nice if they use the same model.

They're the exact same models. Lighting is just better in intros, which is nothing new.

poodaddy

Hot take - every time I see someone unironically use the term "filthy casuals", I just know they're three happy meals away from heart disease and that the internet is the only place they can do their tough talk shit because no one in the world takes them even remotely seriously and they know their teeth would taste like iron real quick if they made an ass out of themselves in public the way they do on keyboard warrior duty. They're aware of this as they tend to be cowards, so they bottle everything up passively all day just to go talk shit to strangers online.

They want to gatekeep their little hobby and pretend they're part of something that matters because they know they don't.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Stealth Tekken 8 looking mid thread :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I actually think there isn't anything impressive about it .

tbh comparing this to SF6's Level 3 supers there's no competition... Capcom's animation team is cracked compared to everyone else (whos name isnt Arc System Works)

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Which game are you getting the game in the trailer or the demo that metacritic thinks is a 76?

Top Bottom