• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Tekken 8 reveal trailer hurt the game rather than help it?

I will never understand how Tekken became so popular. Should have been Soul Calibur
The franchise became as mainstream as Street Fighter II when Tekken 3 happened. Technological innovation, 90's Hong Kong action film presentation, and being head and shoulder above the other genre offerings put it in the spotlight. The franchise had relative consistency in its offerings and pedigree of quality upto Tekken 6.

Few knew Soul Calibur existed before Soul Calibur II went multiplatform and I was one of them despite being a fan of Soul Blade. Being exclusive on the quickly abandoned Sega Dreamcast system did it no favors. Namco botched the Soul Calibur III console release with issues that would not be rectified until the rare Arcade Edition released. Then, Soul Calibur IV and beyond released in progressively worse states.

It still baffles me that an idiotic mechanic like reversal edge was added to a fighting game. The return of Soul Calibur with VI should have been a great event, but it had the stink of that mechanic all over it and retained elements of the controversially streamlined Soul Calibur V, which decided to reinvent the gameplay in the image of other games.

Last edited:
The franchise became as mainstream as Street Fighter II when Tekken 3 happened. Technological innovation, 90's Hong Kong action film presentation, and being head and shoulder above the other genre offerings put it in the spotlight. The franchise had relative consistency in its offerings and pedigree of quality upto Tekken 6.

Few knew Soul Calibur existed before Soul Calibur II went multiplatform and I was one of them despite being a fan of Soul Blade. Being exclusive on the quickly abandoned Sega Dreamcast system did it no favors. Namco botched the Soul Calibur III console release with issues that would not be rectified until the rare Arcade Edition released. Then, Soul Calibur IV and beyond released in progressively worse states.

It still baffles me that an idiotic mechanic like reversal edge was added to a fighting game. The return of Soul Calibur with VI should have been a great event, but it had the stink of that mechanic all over it and retained elements of the controversially streamlined Soul Calibur V, which decided to reinvent the gameplay in the image of other games.
I agree that 6 could have been special. There was genuine hype around it after 5, a chance for real redemption. But as you mentioned the stupid reversal edge garbage was such a dumb idea.

I actually think 4 was great I was in college at the time and it was a fairly big game, many people I knew played it, it didn’t hurt having Vader and Yoda be the guests either. But following up 4 with 5 and removing many loved characters for the sake of “reality” or the “timeline” or whatever was a huge mistake.

I guess I just always loved SC since 2 and wished it would have become the bigger of the two series. SC had always felt like the more 3D game, actually moving around around opponents and not the stilted weird steps that Tekken has. Also I felt the the rock paper scissors mechanic of vertical horizontal and kick was much more intuitive to grasp the whatever the fuck Tekken has been doing.

Ugh, just thinking about it makes me sad. The FGC let soul calibur die, but I can’t fully blame them either.

I personally enjoyed Soul Calibur IV: Broken Destiny, which fixed some of Hilde's charged attack ring-out shenanigans and some other things but it had its own issues. I have never witnessed anybody badmouthing Soul Calibur II, which is a testament to its quality. The problem with the franchise is consistency.

I do not think that Soul Calibur as a franchise is dead. Success (saleswise) in the fighting genre is practically impossible for a new IP to breach, so most publishers greenlight existing IPs and give directors and their gameplay designers free reign. Hopefully, the next entry will be reimagined in a way that is more true to its origin.

Last edited:
They're 100% the same. The only difference is lighting.
Not sure you played the beta. If you can access to the beta in this week, use /hold Asuka b1+3 or b2+4 move. You can clearly see it's not the same model.

Or if you need I will capture some screenshots for you this weekend.

Last edited:

Edmund

Hot take - every time I see someone unironically use the term "filthy casuals", I just know they're three happy meals away from heart disease and that the internet is the only place they can do their tough talk shit because no one in the world takes them even remotely seriously and they know their teeth would taste like iron real quick if they made an ass out of themselves in public the way they do on keyboard warrior duty. They're aware of this as they tend to be cowards, so they bottle everything up passively all day just to go talk shit to strangers online.

They want to gatekeep their little hobby and pretend they're part of something that matters because they know they don't.

Unfortunately for you I'm not fat. At all. I just hate when people behave like online Karens, finding nonexistent stuff to whine about.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Unfortunately for you I'm not fat. At all. I just hate when people behave like online Karens, finding nonexistent stuff to whine about.
And you're the only one here who acts like a Karen here. You might think I have insulted your family. But no, I dared to say that after the first trailer I was disappointed by the graphics and expected more.

MiguelItUp

I don't think it hurt it at all, Tekken 8 still looks great. People that are interested in Tekken are interested in Tekken. I don't think the majority are disappointed with how it looks either. I think some people just have wild expectations that just can't and won't be achieved.

Tekken 8 will be successful I'm sure, but I don't know if they'll acquire a ton of new players or anything.

poodaddy

Me too actually. I just don't care for the filthy casual phrase, I know you probably don't fit the stereotype and that's great, good on ya for taking care of your health, but you know the stereotype I'm talking about when we're talking about the kind of gamers who gate keep and what not. Sweaty Smash player types with a perpetual layer of Cheeto dust on both their controllers and their novelty t shirts who shower once a week and brush less than that. You're cool man, just the phrase irrationally triggers me as it makes me think of those types haha.

But yeah, people whine a lot and it gets annoying for sure, and in particular gamers seem to be a particularly vocal group of whiners.

Top Bottom