• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you forgo the PS4 Pro in lieu of the PS5? Are you getting one at launch?

Xenon

So after seeing what the Pro offered I decided to just wait for the PS5. Now for $100 more I'm getting a next gen system. So I am am pretty happy with that decision. Though I wish I knew a bit more about backward compatibility at this stage and storage was bigger. Hopefully with the more open upgrade path with that wont be that much of an issue later on.

If it wasn't for locking into this mindset a while ago, I doubt I'd get a launch PS5 simply because my XBSX will be my main console and there just isn't enough enough exclusive content to warrant jumping in now since I'll already have a primary next gen system. So any other Pro hold out's getting a launch unit? excited?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not specifically. But with PS5 coming it certainly doesn't make financial sense to buy PS4 Pro now.

My PS4 Pro is easily the worst thing I bought in regards to last (current?) gen gaming and I have/had all major SKUs of console, even an Xbox One S All Digital. Side by side with my PS4 Slim, I couldn't really even tell much of a difference in most games when running on the Pro and it's currently boxed up and getting traded in for credit towards a PS5. I won't miss it at all. Keeping the Slim as an extra machine for use upstairs, but I easily could have never bought a Pro and I'd be plenty happy. Just the fan noise when playing games on the Pro was enough to get me to play on the Slim model, regardless of the occasional game running in 4K on it.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I actually purchased a ps4 pro for $400 from Walmart online during the summer I was very excited, but I had no idea the ps5 was backwards compatible. Unfortunately at the time Walmart had canceled my order because they didn't have anymore in stock and I was refunded my money. Fortunately later I found out ps5 had bc and thus, I no longer desired the ps4 pro !! I was able to preorder a PS5 and should be able to play all the ps4 games I missed out on this past generation. Happy the way things turned out.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I actually purchased a ps4 pro for $400 from Walmart online during the summer I was very excited, but I had no idea the ps5 was backwards compatible. Unfortunately at the time Walmart had canceled my order because they didn't have anymore in stock and I was refunded my money. Fortunately later I found out ps5 had bc and thus, I no longer desired the ps4 pro !! I was able to preorder a PS5 and should be able to play all the ps4 games I missed out on this past generation. Happy the way things turned out.
Get PS+ and you'll have The PS+ Collection at launch with some of the best PS4 games:

LordOfChaos

That was the plan yeah.

That's why BC is important to me, it's the easiest console generation upgrade ever for me because of it, but I'd really like to know more about it at this point. If it can run nearly everything and most things run boosted, awesome, it'll start off as a better PS4 Pro for me.

Boss Mog

Do people trust the site enough to put their credit card in there? Or is there another way?
You don't need to sign up or give them any info, you just checkout with PayPal and they email the code to your PayPal email. Sometimes they decline if they suspect you might be a scammer and they just instantly refund your PayPal.

KO7

My PS4 is on its last legs but I never got a PS4 Pro. Wasn’t able to secure a PS5 preorder but I’ll get one eventually to experience Ghost of Tsushima with for the first time.

GiJoint

I got the Pro at its launch straight away and gave my launch PS4 to family. It’s been a good machine, have a PS5 on pre order.

FrankWza

Me too, usually at a higher resolution. Just not PS exclusives ;)

That’s gotta be rough though. Having a PC capable of maxed out settings at 4K 60 or 120fps and then not playing PS exclusives at 60fps or 4K when you can. Or even boost mode. Big drop off from a top of the line pc to a non-pro ps4. Especially if you’re on an OLED.

Xenon

That’s gotta be rough though. Having a PC capable of maxed out settings at 4K 60 or 120fps and then not playing PS exclusives at 60fps or 4K when you can. Or even boost mode. Big drop off from a top of the line pc to a non-pro ps4. Especially if you’re on an OLED.

I said higher not highest.

Kimahri

Banned
I feel you. I just couldn't justify it. The jump wasn't that big from the base ps4. The xbox one x was a nobrainer considering the low resolutions one the original box, but I haven't felt like I've missed out on anything wth regards to the pro.

Will get a ps5 when games I want start to release.

nyr88nyg

Banned
I got the pro spiderman edition. Well worth it, and it is still re-selling for $400. Huge improvement for visuals.

Ellery

Yeah I skipped the PS4 Pro. I thought it was pretty ... underwhelming and it came out at an awkward time where I didn't want to commit to a 4K TV because they either lacked the features I wanted to have or were simply way too expensive with a very high early adopters fee.

Standing where I am now I think it was the right decision, but that is always to say in hindsight. Really looking forward to the PS5 and a 4K HDR TV with HDMI 2.1.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i was a PC & Switch gamer until last year, when i got a used PS4 Pro for Death Stranding and Final Fantasy VII Remake.

i had such a good experience that i pre-ordered a PS5 asap.

FrankWza

I said higher not highest.

My mind went right to what I imagine PC players automatically do which is chase every new part and want to have the best of everything. That’s why I always stayed away. Having a closed system with a mid-gen upgrade is ok by me. I bet it was still a big drop though, no?

Justin9mm

Anyone who is still gaming on OG PS4 has not even experienced the best of what current gen had to offer. You could of already been gaming in Dynamic 4K HDR and even at 60fps in some games for the last few years.

I find it weird people waiting for and wanting next gen PS5 but did not invest in a Pro. Something tells me some of these people are going to buy PS5 and still game on 1080p TV lol

Last edited:

Kerotan

The upgrade from PS4 to Pro is far less then from pro to ps4. I did buy the Pro and will buy a ps5 pro because all games are built for the ps5 base so any that struggle there will be smooth on the Pro.

Having said they I sold my pro a month ago for a good price and I'm using my original ps4 now. I've gotten used to the lower performance which will make the jump to ps5 seem even bigger now.

John Day

Last year i was tempted. Went into Best Buy, held the box.... but ultimately held off and didn’t.

I’m so going back to many titles just to see them full glory on the PS5.

Malakhov

Banned
Yes, sold ps4 after ff7r. Got my ps5 on preorder with ghost of tsushima, Spidey ultimate and demon's souls

lock2k

Banned
I don't do midgen refreshes. Unless for some reason I decided to jump in at the moment the refresh was released. A cousin of mine did just that. Since he only got a PS4 in the middle of the cycle he got a pro, smart move.

Boxster17

I jumped on the mid gen refresh - sold my PS4 along with a couple old games and that covered the cost of the Pro. Seemed like a no brainer given they were games I was never going to play again.

Probably won't get the PS5 at launch, but will likely pick one up within the first year. Wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing with the PS5 if they do a similar sort of thing with a Pro model.

Elcid

Banned
I got a PS4 Pro because my launch PS4 coincidentally started to have issues a few months after the Pro released. It was at the point where it was overheating and likely about to die, taking time to reboot, randomly shutting down completely, etc. So I ended up trading it in with my Xbox One and got a Pro for like 90 bucks. Not waiting for a PS5 though. Legit every single person that does not get a PS5 will be near dying from the FOMO.

Ryu Kaiba

My PS4 Pro is easily the worst thing I bought in regards to last (current?) gen gaming and I have/had all major SKUs of console, even an Xbox One S All Digital. Side by side with my PS4 Slim, I couldn't really even tell much of a difference in most games when running on the Pro and it's currently boxed up and getting traded in for credit towards a PS5. I won't miss it at all. Keeping the Slim as an extra machine for use upstairs, but I easily could have never bought a Pro and I'd be plenty happy. Just the fan noise when playing games on the Pro was enough to get me to play on the Slim model, regardless of the occasional game running in 4K on it.

You should sell it yourself, trading it in at gamestop is flushing hundreds down the drain.

I sold my PS4 and I bought a Pro after the quieter redesign and it's never made a sound. The difference on a 4k display was instantly noticeable on the UI and in God of War. Selling my pro soon to fund the PS5 .

You should sell it yourself, trading it in at gamestop is flushing hundreds down the drain.

I sold my PS4 and I bought a Pro after the quieter redesign and it's never made a sound. The difference on a 4k display was instantly noticeable on the UI and in God of War. Selling my pro soon to fund the PS5 .

Oh, I know...I usually would sell stuff on eBay or to coworkers or something once I'm done with it, but given that I've been working remote for months now and eBay has turned into a shit show, I don't mind taking the easy money at this rate. Trading it to Amazon got me just a hair over $200 in credit, and I'm pretty fine with that. Between eBay/PayPal fees and the few times I've been scammed as a seller, I'm done with the service.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Keeping my Pro. There is no reason for me to get a Ps5.

So after seeing what the Pro offered I decided to just wait for the PS5. Now for $100 more I'm getting a next gen system. So I am am pretty happy with that decision. Though I wish I knew a bit more about backward compatibility at this stage and storage was bigger. Hopefully with the more open upgrade path with that wont be that much of an issue later on.

If it wasn't for locking into this mindset a while ago, I doubt I'd get a launch PS5 simply because my XBSX will be my main console and there just isn't enough enough exclusive content to warrant jumping in now since I'll already have a primary next gen system. So any other Pro hold out's getting a launch unit? excited?

All PS4 games will work on your PS5 just as they ran on PS4 and PS4 Pro. That being said there's a list of 100 games and growing that will specifically take additional advantage of the horse power to get your higher frames and resolution in a more stable manner. Sony will share details of the 100 games down the line and that list will grow. As for storage, you can get yourself an external HDD/ external SSD, store your games on it(both PS4 and PS5), you can transfer them to your PS5 internal storage to run them whenever you need them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom