• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you forgo the PS4 Pro in lieu of the PS5? Are you getting one at launch?

Ryu Kaiba

Oh, I know...I usually would sell stuff on eBay or to coworkers or something once I'm done with it, but given that I've been working remote for months now and eBay has turned into a shit show, I don't mind taking the easy money at this rate. Trading it to Amazon got me just a hair over $200 in credit, and I'm pretty fine with that. Between eBay/PayPal fees and the few times I've been scammed as a seller, I'm done with the service.
Lol you may have already told me about this in the past

Gandih42

Bruh I haven't bought a home console since replacing my dead OG PS3 fatboy with a slim ages past. Borrowed a PS4 slim from my friend a few years ago to catch up on all the games I'd missed out on and can finally return it to him when I get my hands on a PS5 by the end of this year, or sometime next year given the supply.

I did try a PS4 Pro a few times on occasion and I really appreciate the improved framerate on some games. Excited to see how PS4 games will play on the PS5 as my backlog is still massive. Depending on performance and stuff, I might go for a mid-gen upgrade this time around (yay for jobs and adult moneys).

vypper

Neo Member
I'm gonna wait atleast a year to buy a ps5 so i'm holding to my ps4 pro for now. and OP "in lieu" literally means "instead of" not "in favour".

Camreezie

I've had a base ps4 all generation , only feel like updating once a gen. But mine is on its dieing legs now so this cannot come soon enough

FrankWza

I'm gonna wait atleast a year to buy a ps5 so i'm holding to my ps4 pro for now. and OP "in lieu" literally means "instead of" not "in favour".

this is interesting anddefinitely an approach that we’ve seen for many system launches. But I wonder how many people the Pro and 1x convinced to get a system at launch and not wait. It used to be people would wait a year for an improved revision that maybe had a better disc tray or fixed a noise issue or something relatively minor.But both mid gen consoles were superior to the launch units by a fair margin and had performance boosts with developers even giving “pro” treatment to most games. and now with the next gen systems staying closed,it’s likely that there will be a hardware/power revision mid-gen again. There’s less incentive to not jump in at launch if you know you’re getting it eventually and you know you’ll go with a Pro version in 3 years anyway. You’re not gonna wait 3 years for the pro version. and if you get one a year later you will be upgrading to a pro anyway in just 2 years.

Yes, and no.

Ghetto PS4 is good enough for me, but I am not getting PS5 on launch since there are no real games I want.

Only having a 1080p non-HDR TV also discouraging me from getting a PS5.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yes, and no.

Ghetto PS4 is good enough for me, but I am not getting PS5 on launch since there are no real games I want.

Only having a 1080p non-HDR TV also discouraging me from getting a PS5.

this is finally a thing that matters.edit:(because of hdmi2.1) I upgraded to a pro day 1 and used a 1080p screen most of the time. It downsampled and had performance boost and I was happy to have it. But when I upgraded my tv the difference, especially in hdr, was pretty amazing. I waited on my tv purchase until I knew I’d be future proofed for next gen. I wonder how many TVs these new consoles will sell. I’m betting a ton. Between people being home more and new consoles, it’s gonna be even harder getting your hands on TVs this holiday season.

Last edited:

vypper

Neo Member
this is interesting anddefinitely an approach that we’ve seen for many system launches. But I wonder how many people the Pro and 1x convinced to get a system at launch and not wait. It used to be people would wait a year for an improved revision that maybe had a better disc tray or fixed a noise issue or something relatively minor.But both mid gen consoles were superior to the launch units by a fair margin and had performance boosts with developers even giving “pro” treatment to most games. and now with the next gen systems staying closed,it’s likely that there will be a hardware/power revision mid-gen again. There’s less incentive to not jump in at launch if you know you’re getting it eventually and you know you’ll go with a Pro version in 3 years anyway. You’re not gonna wait 3 years for the pro version. and if you get one a year later you will be upgrading to a pro anyway in just 2 years.

I always wait a year or two to make a jump to nextgen consoles the only console that i got day one was the ps2, for instance in the case of this current gen i bought my ps4 in 2018 in march i think and i got the pro version 7116b which is the 2nd version, in terms of games i didn't miss much apart from Bloodborne which came out in 2015, the rest of the ps4 exclusives came out much later like uncharted 4(2016) Horizon(2017) GoW(2018) etc..., however i do own a gaming pc were i did play a few third party games while i was waiting like the witcher 3.

FrankWza

I always wait a year or two to make a jump to nextgen consoles the only console that i got day one was the ps2, for instance in the case of this current gen i bought my ps4 in 2018 in march i think and i got the pro version 7116b which is the 2nd version, in terms of games i didn't miss much apart from Bloodborne which came out in 2015, the rest of the ps4 exclusives came out much later like uncharted 4(2016) Horizon(2017) GoW(2018) etc..., however i do own a gaming pc were i did play a few third party games while i was waiting like the witcher 3.

yeah but for someone who knows they’re getting one say, in a year. I was just thinking how that might make them just jump in at launch if last gen they purchased a pro or are anticipating a pro ps5 anyway and know they’renot gonna be able to hold out as long as you did. Its one of those situations where you maximize your time with a console. But it probably applies more to console only players anyway.It’s the first time we’re going into a launch having had “pro“ versions the gen before.

vypper

Neo Member
yeah but for someone who knows they’re getting one say, in a year. I was just thinking how that might make them just jump in at launch if last gen they purchased a pro or are anticipating a pro ps5 anyway and know they’renot gonna be able to hold out as long as you did. Its one of those situations where you maximize your time with a console. But it probably applies more to console only players anyway.It’s the first time we’re going into a launch having had “pro“ versions the gen before.

Yeah sure for console only players there is nothing wrong about getting a ps5 at launch and then sell it to get a pro version down the line , but here is the thing tho, it's always games that sell systems time and time again, but looking back in the ps3 and ps4 nothing was there day one in terms of games that made me buy it day one.
The ps3 released in 2006 and the game i bought the ps3 for was mgs4 and that game came out summer 2008 that's two years!!. the ps4 released in 2013 and the most anticipated game was bloodborne which came out in 2015 that's another two years, lets compare them to the ps2 which released in the end of 2000, but in 2001 a year later big titles were released for it like SH2,FF10,MGS2,GTA3,ICO,DMC,JaK and Daxter,Onimusha,GT3 to name a few, if the ps5 can do the same than it's a no brainer to get it day on or shortly after.

eLGee

I would've gotten a Pro if it had an UHD drive. I only had a 1080p TV to boot, so sticking with my base PS4 wasn't a hard choice. Getting a PS5 on Day 1, though, especially since I recently got a new 65 inch LGCX. Can't wait!

I got a ps4 pro a year ago to play Spider-Man and mlb the show. I’ll probably get the ps5 mid gen upgrade a few years from now.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

No I'm a collector my pro and my og will be joining my PS1; PS2; PS3; Vita and psp in retirement in approximately 3 years from now and then I get a PS5 pro it's going to be gorgeous

alstrike

Just sold my 2 year old PS4 Pro for a cool 250€, although it had a 1tb SSD in it...

One thing less to worry about, it has served me well and that money will go towards an iPhone 12.

Zannegan

Gold Member
I passed on both mid-gen refreshes because I figured my vanilla PS4 was good enough until next gen proper hit in three years.

Four years later, with both next gen consoles looking kind of lame as they waddle up to the starting gate, I'm starting to think I made a mistake...

...or maybe I just need to keep waiting for the PS5 Pro. =/

FrankWza

Yeah sure for console only players there is nothing wrong about getting a ps5 at launch and then sell it to get a pro version down the line , but here is the thing tho, it's always games that sell systems time and time again, but looking back in the ps3 and ps4 nothing was there day one in terms of games that made me buy it day one.
The ps3 released in 2006 and the game i bought the ps3 for was mgs4 and that game came out summer 2008 that's two years!!. the ps4 released in 2013 and the most anticipated game was bloodborne which came out in 2015 that's another two years, lets compare them to the ps2 which released in the end of 2000, but in 2001 a year later big titles were released for it like SH2,FF10,MGS2,GTA3,ICO,DMC,JaK and Daxter,Onimusha,GT3 to name a few, if the ps5 can do the same than it's a no brainer to get it day on or shortly after.

yeah totally always about the games. But theps3 had a brutal first year or so and there were no mid gen upgrades then. the ps3 launch model was actually an upgrade to the 80 mgs emulation ps3 or slim that came later. If I had to wait 2 years for a game I want to play this gen I could see someone just waiting for a third year and get PS5 pro. Thankfully with their launch lineup and launch window games, thats not necessary.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I sold my XBX yesterday. Made room for the PS5 on the shelf.

Top Bottom