• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry about XSX teraflops advantage : It's kinda all blowing up in the face of Xbox Series X

Dick Jones

Gold Member
But they aren't. More apt would be well versed enthusiasts.
I agree with your analysis of them but they think they are experts based on their website.

DqnLypb.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Digital Foundry
"Major Example is The Callisto Protocol, where PS5 is superior in RT compare to Xbox Series X ,however on paper Series X should wipe the floor and beat PS5 easily."
"This is due to major reason is that PS5 is main market so the developers focus and development will be first on PS5, than comes PC or Xbox."
"We were hearing from developers that when these console were about to Launch that Xbox has major issues on it's software side and PS5 was easy for developer"
"Another reason is that Developers are just directly using DX12 (like PC code) on Xbox, where it's is wrong and developers cannot get the advantage of a horse power of Series X".

While I didnt see those quotes in the next gen discussion (maybe someone can timestamp them), seeing Richard essentially campaign for an Nvidia Xbox console is kinda fascinating.

On one hand, its great to see DF criticize MS for once. On the other hand, this almost seems like they are pestering their dad to help them get an expensive toy.

Also, blaming AMD for everything is silly when MS has a massive R&D division of themselves. No one asked them to do a copy pasta from AMD. They knew AMD was behind on Ray tracing and AI cores so why not work with AMD to get additional tensor cores and better ray tracing modifications in your Xbox?

And bringing up the latest nvidia enhancements to dismiss consoles as years behind is ridiculous. Consoles are always years behind. They are supposed to last 7 fucking years. They will never be brand new. This is why having midgen refreshes is so important. Especially now when ray tracing and AI are well within AMD's reach. But nope, they are A ok with MS skipping a mid gen refresh and constantly express skeptism over Sony's mid gen console. Sony knows they have an aging console which is why they are doing their best to give their users an upgrade.

And lastly, fuck off with this nonsense that path tracing is a massive difference between standard rasterization. Consoles are not lagging. They literally play cyberpunk at 60 fps. 95% of the time, the difference is barely noticeable. It's insane to think path tracing will be everywhere in 2027 when only two games are using it right now while everyone and their mothers is moving to UE5 which does not prefer Nvidia GPUs for its lumen rt tech. I feel like DF is believing their own cherrypicked comparisons. I have spent days turning path tracing on and off and most of the time its such a miniscule difference, i wonder if its worth 5x the performance cost. It looks better sure, but Richard said something along the lines of massive. Come the fuck on. Matrix using Lumen still looks better than both cyberpunk and alan wake 2 using path tracing.

While I didnt see those quotes in the next gen discussion (maybe someone can timestamp them), seeing Richard essentially campaign for an Nvidia Xbox console is kinda fascinating.

On one hand, its great to see DF criticize MS for once. On the other hand, this almost seems like they are pestering their dad to help them get an expensive toy.

Also, blaming AMD for everything is silly when MS has a massive R&D division of themselves. No one asked them to do a copy pasta from AMD. They knew AMD was behind on Ray tracing and AI cores so why not work with AMD to get additional tensor cores and better ray tracing modifications in your Xbox?

And bringing up the latest nvidia enhancements to dismiss consoles as years behind is ridiculous. Consoles are always years behind. They are supposed to last 7 fucking years. They will never be brand new. This is why having midgen refreshes is so important. Especially now when ray tracing and AI are well within AMD's reach. But nope, they are A ok with MS skipping a mid gen refresh and constantly express skeptism over Sony's mid gen console. Sony knows they have an aging console which is why they are doing their best to give their users an upgrade.

And lastly, fuck off with this nonsense that path tracing is a massive difference between standard rasterization. Consoles are not lagging. They literally play cyberpunk at 60 fps. 95% of the time, the difference is barely noticeable. It's insane to think path tracing will be everywhere in 2027 when only two games are using it right now while everyone and their mothers is moving to UE5 which does not prefer Nvidia GPUs for its lumen rt tech. I feel like DF is believing their own cherrypicked comparisons. I have spent days turning path tracing on and off and most of the time its such a miniscule difference, i wonder if its worth 5x the performance cost. It looks better sure, but Richard said something along the lines of massive. Come the fuck on. Matrix using Lumen still looks better than both cyberpunk and alan wake 2 using path tracing.

Honestly even a lot of the developer interviews I watch, none of them ever seem to give a shit about ray-tracing let alone path-tracing, don't get me wrong RTGI technology is super cool both on the developer side and for the visuals... but beyond that I don't think anyone gives a shit despite what the Nvidia marketing team tells Digital Foundry us.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Hell, even the RTGI Lumen lighting and shadows in Fortnite on consoles at 60fps looks fantastic.

Last edited:

All of this.

DF are constantly high on their own supply. They believe their own BS and it's insufferable.

Vergil1992

The most common occurrence across multiplatform games is that the (fixed) resolutions targets are exactly the same. Among the remaining yes, there seem to be moderately more cases of XSX having slightly higher resolutions with DRS (again with the very important distinction that those often come at the cost of performance and sometimes IQ/fidelity unlike PS5) than vice versa. Then there are the outlier cases which exhibit a fixed resolution divide favoring either platform.

There, that is the thing. We are back to your initial personal assumption which needs to be warranted dictating your distorted and overly generalized interpretation of data at hand. The power of a GPU is the sum of all its throughputs relevant the game performance and in this aspect PS5 certainly isn't lacking compared to XSX. Which we have essentially are two evenly matched GPUs which are slightly faster depending on the throughput with different strengths and 'weaknesses'. We should consider all the aspects including frequency, layout, custom parts and overall efficiency without conveniently dismissing anything when trying determine the real world performance of two GPUs. And about the reason behind the DRS; did you consider the possibility that maybe PS5 is simply nimbler to react to potential performance loss and handling DRS quicker to avoid FPS drops perhaps due the API difference or its more 'flexible' hardware design?
I can't (for reasons of time) list all the games that have been released, or updated to PS5-XSX, but let's take reference from VG Tech and the last 30 games released/updated on PS5/XSX and see if what it says is true. We will leave out the details (performance) because we are only talking about resolution.

Elden Rings (same resolution)
Star Wars: Jedi Survivor (highter resolution XSX)
Diablo 4 (same resolution)
RE4R: (highter resolution PS5)
Witcher 3 next-gen (Highter resolution XSX)
Dead Space (Highter resolution XSX)
Need for Speed (highter resolution XSX)
Call of Duty MWII: (same)
A Plague Tale Requiem (Same)
The Quarry (highter resolution xsx)
Tormented Souls (same)
Resident Evil 2 (same)
Resident Evil 3 (same)
Resident Evil Village (same)
Sniper Elite 5 (highter resolution xsx)
Alan Wake Remastered: (same)
GTA 5: (same)
Dying Light 2 (highter resolution xsx)
Guardians of the galaxy (same)
Riders Republic (same)
Far Cry 6 (highter resolution xsx)
Diablo 2 Resurrected (same)
Chivalry 2: (same)
Doom Eternal (XSX Highter resolution)
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (highter resolution xsx)
Metro Exodus (highter resolution xsx)
Watch Dogs Legion (highter resolution xsx)
Outriders: (highter resolution xsx)
Yakuza Like a Dragon (same)
Marvels Avenger (This is problematic, because on PS5 it uses a higher resolution with checkerboard rendering in performance mode. In XSX quality mode it has a higher minimum resolution (without CB).

You can check it yourself. It is easy to see that the resolution is most often either the same or higher in XSX. out of 29 games, 13 have a higher resolution on xsx, 15 are the same, and 1 has the highest resolution on PS5

what they suggest here is true. Many times the performance is more solid on PS5, or in some cases it has better graphical settings (although many images posted here I think are bugs or oversights, as happened with TW3 and the bug I mentioned above that CD Projekt fixed). I'm not saying it's a landslide victory for the Xbox Series X. It's not at all. Several of those games that I have posted have framerate problems on XSX and on PS5 they are more stable. Even if we talk ONLY about performance, in this list there are surely more games with better performance on PS5 than on XSX.
On the other hand, you have suggested that DF has a preference to favor Xbox. I don't think this is the case, there are many games that they have not said have resolution differences and VG Tech has detected differences that favored XSX. For example, we can cite the recent case of Jedi Survivor. DF did not say that there was a minimum resolution difference, but VG Tech did detect that on PS5 it was lower. I'm not suggesting they're biased, I think it just requires very thorough analysis and counting pixels in lots of shots can be quite exhausting. VG Tech does much less analysis and they take more time. I don't think DF is biased.

We even see cases in these games where the minimum and maximum resolutions are identical, but VG Tech comparing scenes has seen that XSX usually works at higher resolutions, such as Sniper Elite 5. That is why in some cases when DF says only the minimum resolutions and maxims I don't quite believe them.

What I don't think is fair is that someone keeps the data that suits them from the comparisons of DF, VG Tech or NX Gamer and when they are not favorable graphical differences are sought to remove credibility from the more professional comparisons, even when those differences could be bugs. Because if Doom Eternal has a lower resolution texture on XSX than on PS5... which fully coincides with PS4, it is reason to suspect that it is probably due to an error, after all the versions of the different Xbox platforms share tools, it is more sensible to think that it is something inherited from Xbox One/Xbox One X than to think that it is inferior to PS5 when the resolution goal is significantly higher. Just as I don't think Fortnite with UE5 + Nanite + Lumen, the developers don't say there are graphical differences, DF doesn't either, in XSX it has 15% more resolution, but then they have "lowered" the graphic settings until an object is see edges of the low polygonal load with the naked eye. Even between PS4 and PS5, differences of this type are not usually seen with intergenerational games. It is clear that there is an error there.

*In the list I have avoided backwards compatible games for obvious reasons (and in fact, that would favor Xbox Series more, in case anyone doubts my intentions).

Digital Foundry
"Major Example is The Callisto Protocol, where PS5 is superior in RT compare to Xbox Series X ,however on paper Series X should wipe the floor and beat PS5 easily."
"This is due to major reason is that PS5 is main market so the developers focus and development will be first on PS5, than comes PC or Xbox."
"We were hearing from developers that when these console were about to Launch that Xbox has major issues on it's software side and PS5 was easy for developer"
"Another reason is that Developers are just directly using DX12 (like PC code) on Xbox, where it's is wrong and developers cannot get the advantage of a horse power of Series X".

These quotes are from the video you shared ?

DF said this with a straight face. Let that sink in. How can we take them seriously when they're demonstrating such rudimentary understanding of tech and real-time rendering?
Yes and he said even after Patches Xbox Series X does not match the quality of PS5 ,however, i can easily post the video where RTX 3060 will beat PS5 in this game after several patches.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
DF said this with a straight face. Let that sink in. How can we take them seriously when they're demonstrating such rudimentary understanding of tech and real-time rendering?
It took these DF geniuses 3+ years to realize that TF alone is not a good metric and memory, CPU, decompression, and other variables also have an impact on final performance -- literally the same thing that we've been saying for 3+ years now.

Some experts.

They are blaming DX12 and PS5 market share. They said that these are 2 major reason why Xbox is not getting the performance it deserves.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

They are blaming DX12 and PS5 market share. They said that these are 2 major reason why Xbox is not getting the performance it deserves.
They have reasons. Before the patch on the first day, PS5 was running MUCH more stable, they saw how the patches greatly improved the performance on XSX (on PS5 they had a very stable version from the beginning, on XSX it was running at 15-20fps when on PS5 they already had it stabilized. .. and after updating the game the performance of XSX improved significantly). When they came out, RT was completely broken on XSX, and after several patches they added RT, although of worse quality than on PS5. It is clear that there was a priority version, or at least the developers found it easier. They saw that the patches were massively improving performance on XSX when it was already stable on PS5.

If PS5 were better on RT, The Witcher 3 with RT wouldn't run significantly better on XSX. Nor Resident Evil 3, RE8, Doom Eternal... which also use RT. What DF thinks is reasonable. And it seems fair to say that The Witcher 3's RT is significantly more demanding on the GPU than Callisto Protocol's, since it also applies to global illumination.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Digital Foundry

Those quotes cant be real, as in they are edited right? I dont want to watch the whole video.

Crayon

The systems trade blows. The points are only one costs a sensible amount to make and one was supposed to dominate performance.

Mr Moose

I can't (for reasons of time) list all the games that have been released, or updated to PS5-XSX, but let's take reference from VG Tech and the last 30 games released/updated on PS5/XSX and see if what it says is true. We will leave out the details (performance) because we are only talking about resolution.

Tormented Souls (same)
Resident Evil 2 (same)
Resident Evil 3 (same)
Riders Republic (same)
Marvels Avenger (This is problematic, because on PS5 it uses a higher resolution with checkerboard rendering in performance mode. In XSX quality mode it has a higher minimum resolution (without CB).

You can check it yourself. It is easy to see that the resolution is most often either the same or higher in XSX. out of 29 games, 13 have a higher resolution on xsx, 15 are the same, and 1 has the highest resolution on PS5

what they suggest here is true. Many times the performance is more solid on PS5, or in some cases it has better graphical settings (although many images posted here I think are bugs or oversights, as happened with TW3 and the bug I mentioned above that CD Projekt fixed). I'm not saying it's a landslide victory for the Xbox Series X. It's not at all. Several of those games that I have posted have framerate problems on XSX and on PS5 they are more stable. Even if we talk ONLY about performance, in this list there are surely more games with better performance on PS5 than on XSX.
On the other hand, you have suggested that DF has a preference to favor Xbox. I don't think this is the case, there are many games that they have not said have resolution differences and VG Tech has detected differences that favored XSX. For example, we can cite the recent case of Jedi Survivor. DF did not say that there was a minimum resolution difference, but VG Tech did detect that on PS5 it was lower. I'm not suggesting they're biased, I think it just requires very thorough analysis and counting pixels in lots of shots can be quite exhausting. VG Tech does much less analysis and they take more time. I don't think DF is biased.

We even see cases in these games where the minimum and maximum resolutions are identical, but VG Tech comparing scenes has seen that XSX usually works at higher resolutions, such as Sniper Elite 5. That is why in some cases when DF says only the minimum resolutions and maxims I don't quite believe them.

What I don't think is fair is that someone keeps the data that suits them from the comparisons of DF, VG Tech or NX Gamer and when they are not favorable graphical differences are sought to remove credibility from the more professional comparisons, even when those differences could be bugs. Because if Doom Eternal has a lower resolution texture on XSX than on PS5... which fully coincides with PS4, it is reason to suspect that it is probably due to an error, after all the versions of the different Xbox platforms share tools, it is more sensible to think that it is something inherited from Xbox One/Xbox One X than to think that it is inferior to PS5 when the resolution goal is significantly higher. Just as I don't think Fortnite with UE5 + Nanite + Lumen, the developers don't say there are graphical differences, DF doesn't either, in XSX it has 15% more resolution, but then they have "lowered" the graphic settings until an object is see edges of the low polygonal load with the naked eye. Even between PS4 and PS5, differences of this type are not usually seen with intergenerational games. It is clear that there is an error there.

*In the list I have avoided backwards compatible games for obvious reasons (and in fact, that would favor Xbox Series more, in case anyone doubts my intentions).
I'm not reading all of that, but Elden Ring uses dynamic res and it's often higher on PS5.
Edited to add videos:

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Frame Rate Mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2688x1512. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 are very rare on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Frame Rate Mode.
PS5 in Frame Rate Mode seems to have a resolution advantage over the Xbox Series X. As an example, during the opening scene of the game (not the opening clip in the video) the PS5 renders at approximately 3093x1740 and the Xbox Series X renders at 2880x1620. However, there are scenes in the game where both PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a resolution of 2688x1512 such as scenes with a lot of vegetation on screen.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in ray tracing mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2880x1620 and the lowest resolution found being 1536x864. Pixel counts at or below 1920x1080 seem to be uncommon on both consoles. PS5 can have a resolution advantage over Xbox Series X such as here https://bit.ly/3MJkfiJ where PS5 renders at 2880x1620 and Xbox Series X renders at approximately 2560x1440. There are areas where both consoles render at the same resolution though such as here https://bit.ly/3MIZBPT where both PS5 and Xbox Series X render at 2880x1620.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

I'm not reading all of that, but Elden Ring uses dynamic res and it's often higher on PS5.
Edited to add videos:

You're right, I can't edit. If there are any more errors, I'll read them. I think it's the only one I've made a mistake in, I've reviewed them and it doesn't seem like I've made a mistake in any of them, I read it quickly (there are a lot of games!) and there may be some errors.

Thanks for the information. :messenger_ok:

EDIT: I've also made a mistake with Guardians of the Galaxy, it has a resolution advantage on XSX in a specific scene.

with one exception being found in the opening scene where the pixel count reached approximately 3200x1800 on Series X and 2560x1440 on PS5.

Last edited:

SKYF@ll

Tormented Souls (same)
Resident Evil 2 (same)
Resident Evil 3 (same)
Riders Republic (same)

It's been 9 months with Fortnite (UE5) and 2 years with Doom Eternal(Next Gen), but the image issue you think is a bug still exists.
It would be better to change the idea that a problem does not exist unless DF points it out.
For example, in Snipers Elite 5, DF overlooked the fact that the Xbox Series X version does not have tessellation.
Please take a look at the comparison images captured with my PS5 and Xbox Series X.
Snipers Elite 5 has also been out for over a year, but tessellation has not been added to the Xbox Series X version.
Again, be careful when comparing games with different graphics settings as GPU benchmarks.
IM4ugfS.jpg
KEpin9q.jpg
LdFVs3j.jpg

Vergil1992

It's been 9 months with Fortnite (UE5) and 2 years with Doom Eternal(Next Gen), but the image issue you think is a bug still exists.
It would be better to change the idea that a problem does not exist unless DF points it out.
For example, in Snipers Elite 5, DF overlooked the fact that the Xbox Series X version does not have tessellation.
Please take a look at the comparison images captured with my PS5 and Xbox Series X.
Snipers Elite 5 has also been out for over a year, but tessellation has not been added to the Xbox Series X version.
Again, be careful when comparing games with different graphics settings as GPU benchmarks.
IM4ugfS.jpg
KEpin9q.jpg
LdFVs3j.jpg
Hello, you are taking things out of context; I didn't say I was doing a "benchmark" or anything like that.

One user said that it was not that common for XSX to have higher resolutions. I said yes it is common, and I told him that I would make a list of the last 30 taking VG Tech as an average, but that I would not comment on anything about the graphics or performance settings, because what we were talking about was only resolution.

The tessellation thing is correct (although in the first photo I don't see what you mean), VG Tech says it in its analysis. I haven't said otherwise and this doesn't seem like a bug to me. But it doesn't matter, let's talk about it if you want.

VG Tech: PS5 appears to be using silhouette tessellation which wasn't seen on the Xbox Series consoles https://bit.ly/3xDXjuZ More information on this technique can be found here: https://bit.ly/3mCldAY

It's a strange decision in XSX, because it's at much higher resolutions in this game but the tessellation is absent. The funny thing is that on PC, switching between tessellation on and off there is barely a 3fps difference:

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-09-30-000020.png

And running on a Vega 64. In current GPUs, tessellation barely has an impact on performance, so this decision is difficult to understand, especially if there are resolution differences of 2688x1512 on PS5 and 3072x1728. It's a pretty big difference and this would have a lot more impact than turning tessellation on and off. It's also a pretty interesting topic, I remember when tessellation was almost like using Ray Tracing today, it was a "GPU killer", and nowadays you barely gain 2-3fps if you disable it. Hahaha

My theory is that XSX inherits S Series settings. Tessellation does not have much impact on performance, and especially when there are gaps of really large resolutions at times, in this case it far exceeds the "hypothetical" (I prefer to call it so as not to enter into another debate) 18% advantage of XSX.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Over 4.4k pages long.

All the speculation and the bragging after the specs were officially announced...... Now we sit here with two identical performing consoles with a pro version on the way next year.

Phil Spencer and his team really thought power was going to be a huge factor this generation but it really didn't help them much at all. Signs were showing when the marketing changed from "The Most Powerful Console Ever" to "The Most Power Xbox Ever." It'll be funny if Sony markets the PlayStation 5 Pro as "The Most Powerful Console Ever" never year.

"Power Difference is Staggering"2
"RDNA 1.5"
"No Machine Learning"
"No VRS"
"Full RDNA 2.0"
"9.2TF"
"CPU more powerful on the XSS"
"Sony changed their specs at the last second."
"Sony is scared to reveal the specs of their console."
"Console will rarely hit 10TF."

As all console wars do, the narrative will shift once again.

shamoomoo

IM4ugfS.jpg
KEpin9q.jpg
LdFVs3j.jpg
What is being compared in the top row,bloom?

Tripolygon

Banned
The tessellation thing is correct (although in the first photo I don't see what you mean), VG Tech says it in its analysis. I haven't said otherwise and this doesn't seem like a bug to me. But it doesn't matter, let's talk about it if you want.
What is being compared in the top row,bloom?
Look at the biceps. See the smoothness of the curves, look at the elbow. These things are just so easy to spot at least for me.

Last edited:

Crayon

"Power Difference is Staggering"2
"RDNA 1.5"
"No Machine Learning"
"No VRS"
"Full RDNA 2.0"
"9.2TF"
"CPU more powerful on the XSS"
"Sony changed their specs at the last second."
"Sony is scared to reveal the specs of their console."
"Console will rarely hit 10TF."

Did it come from ms to the fan army or the other way around?

Both.

FUDCEPTION

S0ULZB0URNE

Digital Foundry

$ Shills

Vergil1992

Mira los bíceps. Vea la suavidad de las curvas, mire el codo. Estas cosas son tan fáciles de detectar al menos para mí.
Yes, I have had difficulties seeing it and when reading tessellation I looked especially at the ground. Although it also seems like the clothing textures are slightly more detailed/sharp on XSX, and the overall image is better on XSX. Maybe it's because of the resolution.

In any case, I don't understand why XSX would have the tessellation cut out. Certainly the use of tessellation today is not very demanding, and even in this game its use seems quite anecdotal. On PC I have seen several videos and between having it activated and deactivated there is a 2-3fps difference. It is very unlikely that if they activate it, XSX will lose much performance.

But the resolution difference is much higher and that wouldn't be a 2-3fps difference. We are talking about 1512p vs 1728p. I don't think there is much mystery here, surely an Xbox Series S setting. And if there is no website or feedback about it, then it stays that way. The example of The Witcher 3 seems perfect to me; the XSX version at first, under certain circumstances, "confused" its settings with those of XSS in quality mode. It was a bug, but curiously, fixing it did not improve its performance although there was a relatively large improvement in XSX in terms of lod. Possibly if there was no feedback and DF had not pointed it out, perhaps they would never have fixed it. And we would be here arguing about hardware when the problem was a bug. I think it is a (negative) consequence of bringing a lower-power console to the market. I'm sure that in the optimization process some developers will make XSS and XSX coincide in some graphical settings by mistake. I do not want to be misunderstood. I think the XSX and PS5 are pretty even hardware. I think the XSX is slightly more powerful, but it has more handicaps and at the end of the day the performance is practically identical.

Last edited:
I am really amazed by comments of people.

If a better a hardware did not matter than People would have wasted 1 trillion of dollar R&D in making a better a performance hardware.

If properly utilize Xbox Series X will run better is a fact. The issue that why would developer invest so much time in Xbox, where market is is nearly 20% and leaving 80% market.

Market Share>Hardware.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
IM4ugfS.jpg
KEpin9q.jpg
LdFVs3j.jpg
Must be that "geometry engine."

Hello, you are taking things out of context; I didn't say I was doing a "benchmark" or anything like that.

One user said that it was not that common for XSX to have higher resolutions. I said yes it is common, and I told him that I would make a list of the last 30 taking VG Tech as an average, but that I would not comment on anything about the graphics or performance settings, because what we were talking about was only resolution.

VG Tech: PS5 appears to be using silhouette tessellation which wasn't seen on the Xbox Series consoles https://bit.ly/3xDXjuZ More information on this technique can be found here: https://bit.ly/3mCldAY

It's a strange decision in XSX, because it's at much higher resolutions in this game but the tessellation is absent. The funny thing is that on PC, switching between tessellation on and off there is barely a 3fps difference:

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-09-30-000020.png

And running on a Vega 64. In current GPUs, tessellation barely has an impact on performance, so this decision is difficult to understand, especially if there are resolution differences of 2688x1512 on PS5 and 3072x1728. It's a pretty big difference and this would have a lot more impact than turning tessellation on and off. It's also a pretty interesting topic, I remember when tessellation was almost like using Ray Tracing today, it was a "GPU killer", and nowadays you barely gain 2-3fps if you disable it. Hahaha

My theory is that XSX inherits S Series settings. Tessellation does not have much impact on performance, and especially when there are gaps of really large resolutions at times, in this case it far exceeds the "hypothetical" (I prefer to call it so as not to enter into another debate) 18% advantage of XSX.

DF in video states that developers are using DX12 generally like PC on Xbox and not like a console level API, where it's missing tons of optimization.

I think the XSX and PS5 are pretty even hardware. I think the XSX is slightly more powerful, but it has more handicaps and at the end of the day the performance is practically identical.
Why is it so important to DF and MS shills that this lie (XSX is (slightly) more powerful) be accepted as a truth? It was a lie when the consoles were revealed and it is a lie now. It also does not matter since the real comparison should be between the gimp box XSS and the PS5. The XSS is the real XBox next gen console, which 60-75% of the userbase has. Also, in MS' own words XSS is the console, XSX is the mid gen upgrade. By MS logic and pre-release rhetoric, it would have been XSS vs PS5 and XSX vs PS5 pro, however it is kind of pathetic that the XSX cannot even consistently best the PS5.

Users like Lysandros have already pointed out that in certain aspects of rasterization, PS5 easily exceeds the XBSX by more than 18%. So no, the XSX is simply not more powerful even in the slightest. The truthful statement is "XSX is better in some aspects, but so is PS5." Not this BS about XSX being (slightly) more powerful. It is frankly pathetic as there is no evidence that this 18% TFlop difference is worth anything when it comes to performance. It just results in a bloated chip that is more power efficient, but also costs a lot more.

vPQINRm.png

DF are hardly infallible, I remember they interviewed Albert Penello about the OG gimp console the XBO and did not contest his lies. They just published them verbatim spreading FUD about the PS4 vs XBO situation. Their attitude about mid gen refreshes like XSX and XOX compared to their attitude towards a hypothetical PS5 pro also reveals their slant.

Killjoy-NL

If a better a hardware did not matter than People would have wasted 1 trillion of dollar R&D in making a better a performance hardware.

If properly utilize Xbox Series X will run better is a fact. The issue that why would developer invest so much time in Xbox, where market is is nearly 20% and leaving 80% market.

Market Share>Hardware.

Market Share>Hardware.

That's just dumb since both consoles targeted similar price points. You can't just want to design a superior performer you actually have to make it.

GHG

I can't prove it but I get the feeling that MS marketing dollars are going to websites and ecelebs to stoke the console war.

Sony marketing dollars go to billboards at the Champions League.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

I watched the video, and DF thinks series x will have some ML, quite powerful but not as secret sauce as DLSS.

They also talked about ps5 lack of confirmation for ML upscaling. They give the impression ps5 hardware is the laggard but if you want sony games, then you gotta take its bad with its good. Feels like Sony will be in a Nintendo like position in terms of power v games 🤷‍♀️

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I hope you mean the difference is barely noticeable between path tracing and ray tracing 95% of the time. Not that the difference between path tracing and rasterization is minimal.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
They are blaming DX12 and PS5 market share.

If that's the case then why bother manufacturing a console with more costly silicone in the first place? Surely Microsoft knew Sony would have the advantage based off of PS4 vs. XBONE results.

This is a rhetorical question of course I completely understand the goalpost must be moved every hour on the hour

Top Bottom