• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dead Island 2 - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs ALL Last-Gen Consoles

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
you are aware that they are literally showing you the difference right there in the video of which you made a screenshot... right?

Xbox is max PC, PS5 is weirdly different, this might need a PC analysis to get to the root of.
How did you come to that conclusion? There is no PC screenshot in that image.

And XSX could not be PC max, clearly, because PS5 shadows are significantly better. Unless you're saying that PS5 has even better shadows than PC max? (which can't be true either).

winjer

Gold Member
PC ultra shadows is a very weird setting and its not using the defaults from UE4.
sg.ShadowQuality is set to 4. But it's settings are not even following UE4 scalability defaults.

These are the settings that it controls. These values are for sg.ShadowQuality 3
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=4
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=1024
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.03
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=1.0
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=1.0

These are the settings used on PC, for shadows ultra:
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=3
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=2048
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.01
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=0.333
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=0.666
The setting that seems to make the diference we see on the PC and Series X versus the PS5 is: r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades

52835563628_c93419ed45_o_d.jpg

52835297644_c70a999279_o_d.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
PC ultra shadows is a very weird setting and its not using the defaults from UE4.
sg.ShadowQuality is set to 4. But it's settings are not even following UE4 scalability defaults.

These are the settings that it controls. These values are for sg.ShadowQuality 3

The setting that seems to make the diference we see on the PC and Series X versus the PS5 is: r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades

you labeled both =4 there

Darsxx82

And XSX could not be PC max, clearly, because PS5 shadows are significantly better. Unless you're saying that PS5 has even better shadows than PC max? (which can't be true either).

XSX matches PC max. It is not the first time it has happened. There are several games where this situation occurs.

As he say, it may be a matter of DX vs. PSapi differences.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
XSX matches PC max. It is not the first time it has happened. There are several games where this situation occurs.

Oh. That's a different screenshot; I was looking at the one that 01011001 01011001 quoted.

FYI - This Spanish channel is a banned source on GAF because they get their stuff frequently wrong. I wouldn't use that. (cc: adamsapple adamsapple )

Edit: See Pedro Motta Pedro Motta 's post. XSX isn't PC Max settings as it clearly has lower shadow settings (it's the same as PS4). The ElAnalistaDeBits channel should be avoided like plague.

Last edited:

Banned
Oh. That's a different screenshot; I was looking at the one that 01011001 01011001 quoted.

FYI - This Spanish channel is a banned source on GAF because they get their stuff frequently wrong. I wouldn't use that. (cc: adamsapple adamsapple )

the only thing they ever got actually wrong was their framerates, because their analysis tools aren't as good.

and we now know what's happening thanks to winjer winjer

it seems like this is yet another case where the developers that worked on each of the versions didn't communicate with eachother about which values to use.

this is very common, happens more often than ever recently, where just random settings are different, like how RE engine games always seem to have just random stuff changed per version like sharpening, stick deadzones and stuff like that.

what happened here is that one guy chose specific values for the PC Ultra preset, another dude chose different ones for the PS5 port, and then the guys doing the Xbox port just used PC ultra

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned

this could be the same reason series consoles have usually worse/ funny looking raytraced reflections aswell compared to ps5

winjer

Gold Member
the only thing they ever got actually wrong was their framerates, because their analysis tools aren't as good.

it seems like this is yet another case where the developers that worked on each of the versions didn't communicate with eachother about which values to use.

this is very common, happens more often than ever recently, where just random settings are different, like how RE engine games always seem to have just random stuff changed per version like sharpening, stick deadzones and stuff like that.

what happened here is that one guy chose specific values for the PC Ultra preset, another dude chose different ones for the PS5 port, and then the guys doing the Xbox port just used PC ultra

Also, the diference in performance is small. So this is probably just an error, not some performance workaround.

Pedro Motta

you are aware that they are literally showing you the difference right there in the video of which you made a screenshot... right?

Xbox is max PC, PS5 is weirdly different, this might need a PC analysis to get to the root of.
The difference is there, but they don't mention it, not even slightly, he even says there is settings parity between all versions.

It doesn't even matter if it's better or worse or just simply different, they don't mention it, and it gives theirs tech review a bit of a stink if I'm being honest.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

So based on that data by winjer winjer (thanks, by the way, for sharing this!) means that XSX is using r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=3 and PS5 is using r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=4, and the shadow rendering resolution on two consoles is different:
  • PS5 = r.Shadow.MaxResolution=2048
  • XSX = r.Shadow.MaxResolution=1024
Did I get it right?

Banned
The difference is there, but they don't mention it, not even slightly, he even says there is settings parity between all versions.

It doesn't even matter if it's better or worse or just simply different, they don't mention it, and it gives theirs tech review a bit of a stink if I'm being honest.

as long as they show it so you can look for stuff yourself I don't really care.

So based on that data by winjer winjer (thanks, by the way, for sharing this!) means that XSX is using r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=3 and PS5 is using r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=4, and the shadow rendering resolution on two consoles is different:
Did I get it right?

the only difference is the MaxCascades=3 vs =4
apparently a tiny difference in performance, and almost certainly just an oversight by the guys making the PS5 version, while Xbox and PC have parity

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Did I get it right?

I can't get the values for the consoles. On PC I tried using r.Shadow.MaxResolution=4096, while still having r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=3. But the result was barely any.
The thing that really made the shadows look like the PS5 version was r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=4
So my guess is that the Series X and PS5 are using r.Shadow.MaxResolution=2048.

Darsxx82

You can choose any other comparison from a different source, but it shows the same as that one.

P.S. Using "elanalistadebits" screenshots is frequent here. Sometimes people complain and sometimes they don't.

this could be the same reason series consoles have usually worse/ funny looking raytraced reflections aswell compared to ps5
Differences in the resolution of RT reflection have only been seen in Callisto Protocol and GWTokyo (both UE4). It is nothing to consider "usual or frequent"
In fact, it is more common for XSX to perform better than PS5 in RT game modes (looking the same) than vice versa.

Api differences may be the reason for specific situations but it's hard to know.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
40Xztle.jpg

So PS4 Pro is using PC max and Xbox Series X settings?

No, the PS4 Pro, One X and Series S use lower resolution shadows as per the video itself. It's not like the kind of difference between PS5 and SX|PC which seem to be just about identical otherwise.

His frame rate graph might be inaccurate but I don't think he can fake direct captures of the game. A lot of people and topics use it all the time.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No, the PS4 Pro, One X and Series S use lower resolution shadows as per the video itself. It's not like the kind of difference between PS5 and SX|PC which seem to be just about identical otherwise.

His frame rate graph might be inaccurate but I don't think he can fake direct captures of the game. A lot of people and topics use it all the time.
Still a banned source on GAF though. Was letting you know about that, as it can get you posts deleted or worse.

On a sidenote, I do remember a couple of his videos (a year or two ago) that were only about PS exclusive games (no comparison), like Ghost of Tsushima or something, and they got the resolution and other stuff all wrong. DF later shared the correct details that matched with VGTech. I stopped looking at them after that. Don't remember the exact videos but they weren't even console comparison videos.

adamsapple

So PS4 Pro is using PC max and Xbox Series X settings?

I already replied to this post, but again, here's the same scene clipped from different parts of the video.

PS4 / Pro is not comparable to SX.

erWoXdf.png

XBO - PS4 - PS4 Pro - One X and Series S use a similar, lower resolution/quality shadow setting.

PS5 - SX use a different.

It looks like ps4 Pro is using ps4 shadows there....I don't see an xbox one to compare it to?

I don't think you do either.

I added it above, clipped from different parts of the video.

Saying the PS4 version is the same as PC max or SX is very inaccurate.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I already replied to this post, but again, here's the same scene clipped from different parts of the video.

WPIX0Bi.png

XBO - PS4 - PS4 Pro - One X and Series S use a similar, lower resolution/quality shadow setting.

My ignore list is growing 😆

adamsapple

Please refresh, I reuploaded a cleaner version of the image so it's even more obvious. There's like a whole preset difference like if PS4 is Normal, SX and PS5 are Ultra with a different filtering/cascade setting at best.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game looks kinda great to be honest. almost 4k60 and without modeis great.
I like not seeing any crappy modes and dev decided what they want to present.
The only mode that I thing every single game should have is "fps limiter off" just so future consoles don't need a patch or for vrr users.

I will think about getting this on ps5. Pc is outta the question. fuck epic store

It can be true as XSX version could also use the same base version as PC (GDK). Besides we already saw another recent UE game where PS5 has better shadows (I think the last Yakuza, my memory is fuzzy here but like here it was totally ignored by DF, unsurprisingly). I wonder if it's API related.

But anyways as the game is locked on PS5 it's actually impossible to actually compare both versions performance. What we can say is that PS5 comes, again, on top. Not suprising anymore in a UE4 game. Most if not all Latest UE games run better on PS5. It wasn't the case one year ago so I wonder if they improved PS5 tools (SDK) faster than XSX ones. We know Sony are always improving the performance of their SDK, wether CPU or GPU.

Nice work. Better shadow cascade indeed on PS5. It's probably a default GDK setting overlooked by developers. I don't think it should make a big difference of performance for XSX though.

videoplayback.jpg

Different AA or something?
Shimmering I mentioned earlier, might be down to the AA?

There is more aliasing on XSX here but it could be caused by the fact that images are not perfectly synced. One should find another spot to be sure if AA is actually better on PS5.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

erWoXdf.png

You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

kingyala

Banned
You can choose any other comparison from a different source, but it shows the same as that one.

P.S. Using "elanalistadebits" screenshots is frequent here. Sometimes people complain and sometimes they don't.

Differences in the resolution of RT reflection have only been seen in Callisto Protocol and GWTokyo (both UE4). It is nothing to consider "usual or frequent"
In fact, it is more common for XSX to perform better than PS5 in RT game modes than vice versa.
ive seen the raytracing reflection issues in more than those 2 games, and it isnt more common for series x to perform better than ps5 in rt modes... gta5, elden ring, matrix awakens, ghost runner, cod titles, hogwarts, callisto and now gw tokyo... all perform a bit better on ps5 and likewise on series x other titles perform better on rt than ps5... so this isnt common...

What is common is series x having weird bugs or configurations some in rt this includes reflections and most of the time shadows! they almost always appear low res on xbox.. more likely an api issue since its in multiple games... and i remember reading a ue5 console optimization paper that talks about inefficiencies in dx12 rt that required tweaking on xbox and the same issues didnt exist on playstation... something tells me the ps5 approach to rt could be more efficient

Darsxx82

ive seen the raytracing reflection issues in more than those 2 games

Well, I don't remember any other case apart from those 2. If it were "common or frequent" it would be easy to remember... but it is not the case.

and it isnt more common for series x to perform better than ps5 in rt modes... gta5, elden ring, matrix awakens, ghost runner, cod titles, hogwarts, callisto and now gw tokyo... all perform a bit better on ps5 and likewise on series x other titles perform better on rt than ps5... so this isnt common...
Maybe common is not the word, but the list of games with RT mode that work better in XSX is longer.

PS: GTA RT is a tie if I remenber?

What is common is series x having weird bugs or configurations some in rt this includes reflections and most of the time shadows! they almost always appear low res on xbox.. more likely an api issue since its in multiple games... and i remember reading a ue5 console optimization paper that talks about inefficiencies in dx12 rt that required tweaking on xbox and the same issues didnt exist on playstation... something tells me the ps5 approach to rt could be more efficient
.In that case you are talking about games with UE5 and to draw concrete conclusions we would have to wait to see games with RT using UE5 and show those flaws un XSX.
It's been a while since that report and I doubt it haven't seen optimization improvement or tuning since then.
For example the Unity engine situation and how it lacked support and optimization for XSeries consoles. As a consequence, Lego Builders XSERIES versions lacked RT mode due to inefficiency, but that mode did exist on PS5. Well, for several months Unity has offered full support for XSERIES, Lego Buldiers in XSX already has RT mode..... and now it even outperforms the PS5 version.

Of course, both consoles use different APIs and of course are using a different kind of approach to RT. Cases of bugs and inefficiencies can certainly appear. It is very possible that in the cases of UE4 they take place (Callisto and GWTokyo use UE4 precisely) and XSX is not being efficient, but I still think that they are specific cases and not enough to talk about something "common" or "frequent" in general. Until now at least.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
Well, I don't remember any other case apart from those 2. If it were "common or frequent" it would be easy to remember... but it is not the case.

Maybe common is not the word, but the list of games with RT mode that work better in XSX is longer.

PS: GTA RT is a tie if I remenber?

.In that case you are talking about games with UE5 and to draw concrete conclusions we would have to wait to see games with RT using UE5 and show those flaws un XSX.
It's been a while since that report and I doubt it haven't seen optimization improvement or tuning since then.
For example the Unity engine situation and how it lacked support and optimization for XSeries consoles. As a consequence, Lego Builders XSERIES versions lacked RT mode due to inefficiency, but that mode did exist on PS5. Well, for several months Unity has offered full support for XSERIES, Lego Buldiers in XSX already has RT mode..... and now it even outperforms the PS5 version.

Of course, both consoles use different APIs and of course are using a different kind of approach to RT. Cases of bugs and inefficiencies can certainly appear. It is very possible that in the cases of UE4 they take place (Callisto and GWTokyo use UE4 precisely) and XSX is not being efficient, but I still think that they are specific cases and not enough to talk about something "common" or "frequent" in general. Until now at least.
mate there's an actuall paper on unreal 5 that states rtx on xbox is more complicated than playstation i wil surely link this up when i find it... and up until now we have seen countess of comparisons on xbox vs ps5 and ps5 almost always mostly works better than xbox even pc in some cases. There is a problem and nobody has balls to talk about it. even raytraced shadows on gt5 and alot of xbox games have issues not seen on ps5, so whats the probem if not efficiency of api... since weve all had the boring stories about 12 teraflops and all and theres nothing to show off. i can name more games performing better on ps5 than you can on xbox... microsoft engineers had to be called to actually make matrix awakens performant on xbox machines. Bro what is there to hide... i hope u wont be dissapointed when ue5 games come out and not just ue5 other nextgen games come out and realize theres just more problems on xbox.

https://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2022/index.html

Ray Tracing Open Worlds in Unreal Engine 5

page 66/68

One solution to that problem that we have for techniques that use ray tracing shaders on XSX is to use what we call “Specialized State Objects”:
Which means the high-level ray tracing pipeline is broken down internally into multiple different ray tracing pipelines based on ray-gen VGPR
And then we select the one we want to avoid paying the occupancy penalty all the time.
And this is not needed on PS5 because there are no ray tracing pipelines as such.
Each ray gen shader is just a regular compute shader with known resource allocations.

Therefore on Xbox compiler breaks down ray gen shader into two parts: before and after TraceRay call and generates a lot of instructions to save and the restore state.
On Xbox the state goes into scratch memory.
On PS5 we can allow spilling state to either LDS or scratch or just kept in registers.
We can specify exactly how much can spill into each category separately.
On AMD that state goes into LDS, but what other vendors do might be of course different.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
PS5 and Xbox pretty comparable here. Im glad Xbox VRR works on HDMI 2.0 because it definitely helps alleviate the minor drops we keep seeing in recent titles.

Pimpbaa

HDR? Some devs who use UE4 fail to add it.

edit: never mind, I saw the HDR brightness setting in the DF video.

Last edited:

EDMIX

wow, im surprised at how good the series s version looks and runs (60fps!)

I mean, this isn't a next gen game though. It would be weird if the Series S wasn't running this at 60fps considering...

This games long, long development is tied to last gen. I'm happy to see it doing so well though. I pre-ordered from Best Buy to get the steelbook and installed it earlier, will hopefully have some free time this weekend to check it out if not tonight.

Has anyone got any info on the PS5 load times?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Won’t lie this game wasn’t on my radar at all but the visuals are top notch. If RedFall wasn’t out in a week I would’ve dove in just to see the graphics on PC first hand.

Dial back the constant console war baiting and tantrums.
We arnt arguing over this one for a win are we?
It's an UE4 game, built for the PS4 and XO, just given a res and FR boost for the XSX and PS4, most likely from the previous gen up to the new gen.
PS4 Pro -> PS5
XOX -> XSXS.

We have some pretty ardent console warriors here, but are Sony fanboys really trying to say that XSX isn't capable of changing the shadow settings on this game? Like, for real?
This isn't the game to war over. Let's wait until some legit next gen games that push the boundaries by top of the line AAA studios start dropping.

We can start by comparing Forza MS to GT7 when it comes out. This should give us a good idea of what each console is capable of by their first party studios

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We arnt arguing over this one for a win are we?
It's an UE4 game, built for the PS4 and XO, just given a res and FR boost for the XSX and PS4, most likely from the previous gen up to the new gen.
PS4 Pro -> PS5
XOX -> XSXS.

We have some pretty ardent console warriors here, but are Sony fanboys really trying to say that XSX isn't capable of changing the shadow settings on this game? Like, for real?
This isn't the game to war over. Let's wait until some legit next gen games that push the boundaries by top of the line AAA studios start dropping.
Who is saying that?

The two consoles have different shadow settings and rendering resolution are all that anyone pointed. It was actually an excellent discussion, supported by winjer's data - something that even the mighty Digital Foundry couldn't spot or, at least, say.
We can start by comparing Forza MS to GT7 when it comes out. This should give us a good idea of what each console is capable of by their first party studios
So you want to compare a last-gen game and a current-gen game, releasing ~18 months apart, to get "a good idea of what each console is capable of?"

Ronin_7

Banned
Summary:

- The games long development touched upon.
- Uses Unreal Engine 4. Custom "Flesh Engine" proprietary tech added upon for visceral zombie dismemberment all the way to the skeletal frame of a zombie

- Optimized for last gen machines well as it is clearly a 'last gen game first'
- No graphics modes on any platform, all have single profile.

- XBO: 900p / 30 FPS. No DRS seen in DF testing.
- Mostly stable 30 FPS with very minor hitches and single frame drops

- PS4: 1080p / 30 FPS. Same visual features as XBO.
- PS4 has more hitches compared to XBO (CPU related).
- Very playable release otherwise.

- One specific last gen issue is that base PS4/XBO cannot host an online game, only PS4 Pro/ One X onward can do that. Base consoles can only *join* games.

- PS4 Pro / One X have same visual features as PS4/XBO and both run at locked 1440p.
- Outside of one-off drops, they're both incredibly stable.

- PS5: 1728p with 60 FPS target. Held perfectly in DF testing.
- Series X: 1728p. Can have one off drops when using elemental attacks but otherwise 60 held everywhere.
- Series S: 1080p at 60 FPS with occasional minor drop to high 50s but a very steady 60 FPS in most cases.

- Last gen and current gen match visual features, right down to SSR.
- New gen consoles avoid some pop-in because of SSD, however not much else is noteworthy.
- Shadow quality and some effect work benefits from higher resolution and is more detailed.
- New-gen consoles have animation on foliage like trees, which are static on last gen
- Series S runs at lower shadow quality settings, more comparable to last gen than PS5|SX.

- Map is segmented in chunks and areas. Results in some lengthy load times.
- PS4 can take 1 minute+ to load one area, PS5 loads same area in 7 seconds.

- Final pecking order: PS5|SX|SS on top but last gen hold up surprisingly well.
Not the hero we deserve but the hero we need 👍

Top Bottom