• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Heard that Xbox Series S Is A "Pain" For Developers Due To Memory Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodkrake

Banned
Correct me I'm wrong, but the core argument has been that the id software dude wrote two years ago that the memory isn't enough, likely before even trying to work with the XSS. It's not exactly a strong argument considering the dude's output with the XSS version of Doom Eternal and his interviews afterwards.

Dude before Bethesda acquisition announced - Xbox Series S is problematic
Dude after Bethesda acquisition announced / completed - Xbox Series S is ok.

Are we now pretending the comments once MS started paying his salary are unbiased? Are we now ignoring that other developers have spoken on this?

I'll leave this here for you to check the dates yourself: https://news.microsoft.com/2020/09/...ia-and-its-game-publisher-bethesda-softworks/

Hezekiah

Banned
10GB of RAM is an issue in 2022? Colour me shocked.

Didn't like the idea of the Series S the moment it was mooted. It's not a 'proper next-gen' machine, and it would have been better for the industry if people on a budget could just buy a discounted One X and stick to previous gen games.

Already we're seeing games running at 1080p and sub-1080p at times. The 1440p marketing stuff was always bullshit, soon we'll be seeing 720p games on there.

Shmunter

All looks like facts to me, some others seem to speculating a lot, also they're using factually wrong information like the memory split.
Actually it is factually incorrect to deny the fact to the existence of 2 different memory pools at different speeds in the Series Xboxes. “Split” is semantics.

Ironically if it were split in the truest sense like PC architecture it would be better off with no contention on a single bus like there is here.

Dude before Bethesda acquisition announced - Xbox Series S is problematic
Dude after Bethesda acquisition announced / completed - Xbox Series S is ok.

Are we now pretending the comments once MS started paying his salary are unbiased? Are we now ignoring that other developers have spoken on this?

I'll leave this here for you to check the dates yourself: https://news.microsoft.com/2020/09/...ia-and-its-game-publisher-bethesda-softworks/
More like

Dude before working with XSS (and wishing for 64 GB of RAM in next gen consoles) - XSS is problematic
Dude after working with XSS - XSS seems ok

That's at least the way I see it. Of course he's not unbiased, but he wasn't unbiased before either.

Riky

$MSFT
Actually it is factually incorrect to deny the fact to the existence of 2 different memory pools at different speeds in the Series Xboxes. “Split” is semantics.

Ironically if it were split in the truest sense like PC architecture it would be better off with no contention on a single bus like there is here.

In game development terms there is no spilt on the Series S.

Dodkrake

Banned
More like

Dude before working with XSS (and wishing for 64 GB of RAM in next gen consoles) - XSS is problematic
Dude after working with XSS - XSS seems ok

That's at least the way I see it. Of course he's not unbiased, but he wasn't unbiased before either.

Dude after being paid by Microsoft - XSS seems ok.

This is what you don't get. Using someone that has an obvious conflict of interest and stating "he changed is opinion" is just rich.

Riky

$MSFT
Well maybe they need you to present it to them so that they can stop having the issues they say they're having.

Riky - Head of developer relations at Microsoft Game Studios

Experience: Neogaf

Don't need to, they've shipped a game since then, 120fps for Doom Eternal and Metro Exodus fully traced, the developers of which then stated that they are very interested in SFS going forward.

Dude after being paid by Microsoft - XSS seems ok.

This is what you don't get. Using someone that has an obvious conflict of interest and stating "he changed is opinion" is just rich.
He changed his opinion after actually trying to develop for XSS. Before he only saw the numbers on paper, thought that the memory was split and was likely pissed off about it. It's interesting that people put so much validity on the one opinion where he has zero experience with the system, and put no validity on the opinion after actually delivering a product on the system.

Kokoloko85

What lesson will that be? It continuing to outsell Xbox 360?

There will be no lesson learned because the system is serving its purpose. Also, Sampler Feedback Streaming exists and will immediately remedy that memory issue when utilized. And lower resolution and lower quality textures is a known solution for Series S's memory problems. The CPU is more than up to the task and there's much more still to draw out of the system.

Xbox One also outsold 360 during the same time period ( 16months ) and it had a more expensive unit then other Xbox’s.
Despite what people think Xbox One and Series S/X have sold roughly the same during the same time peroid, 16 months, 13-14million.

Aaron’s tweet was not news, just cherry picking stats. It would of looked silly if he mentioned, Xbox One also sold this amount but failed to sell close to the 360 total number….

Dodkrake

Banned

Facts. The way the Series S (and X) memories are set up requires the slower bandwidth to occasionally be used by games (I'd say this occurs mostly on the Series X). If there was true split memory with different buses, then we'd be talking memory optimization. In the existing status quo, we're talking 1 bandwidth starved console that has a ridiculously slow memory and 1 console with decent bandwidth on the first 10GB. Once you go over that, then you are effectively slowing everything down, not just what needs access to that memory pool.

Menzies

Banned
I always wondered if the series S ‘profile’, could be used to release an Xbox handheld mid-gen. After the steam deck, I’m hoping this still plays out in ‘24-25

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
shocking robin hood men in tights GIF

Dodkrake

Banned
And we're here splitting hairs and talking in circles around the obvious with people that throw acronyms like if they were candy while not having the slightest grasp of the technology. Hell, most people here that throw said acronyms don't understand how parallelisation of tasks works between different hardware components and then thought they were qualified enough to say things like "smart shift is underclock" (when referring to the PS5 in this case).

I also like how people claim XSS will hold next-gen back with zero evidence.

Dev statements = Zero evidence

Masters Degree in Xbox Ambassadorship = Evidence

kingfey

Banned
Still not answering my question, instead you bring cross-gen in the discussion, which we know will be ditched soon.
I answered your question already. You chose to deflect it.

Just like how hfw, a 2022 game is able to run on 2013 base, devs would be able to run games on Xss in the future.

Xbox one vsr is still getting games, despite how bad that console is.

That your answer to your question.

kingfey

Banned
I know they have but I never did. I do believe games will run on the Series S,I don't think they will run very well even with the usual downgrades.
Flight simulator is already running on xss.
I dont think games would run bad on xss.
Only those who care about those high graphics and rts would say that.

Dodkrake

Banned
Just like how hfw, a 2022 game is able to run on 2013 base, devs would be able to run games on Xss in the future.

If you played the game, there is one certain gameplay mechanic that was 100% impacted by cross gen development to catter to slow hard drives. I'll let you guess.

Three

By definition, if you aren’t pitting one console against the other in bad faith, or working overtime to run down one console, how can it be ‘console warring’?
Only if you think being needlessly over defensive cannot be console warring but my comment wasn't about an isolated incident. I said "they are known for their console warring".
There is one example of the people I'm talking about who as I'm sure you're aware is known for "pitting one console against the other in bad faith". just don't mention his/her screenshoted comments though.
Correct me I'm wrong, but the core argument has been that the id software dude wrote two years ago that the memory isn't enough, likely before even trying to work with the XSS. It's not exactly a strong argument considering the dude's output with the XSS version of Doom Eternal and his interviews afterwards.
I don't understand why people bring up the DE patch as if it somehow contradicted the "id software dudes" comment. The id software dev said there isn't enough memory for BVH and low and behold the DE patch had no raytracing or quality mode on XSS. In fact I bet this is why a lot of long time first party devs from MS have dropped previously promised raytracing from their games and XSX isn't getting it now too.

And we're here splitting hairs and talking in circles around the obvious with people that throw acronyms like if they were candy while not having the slightest grasp of the technology. Hell, most people here that throw said acronyms don't understand how parallelisation of tasks works between different hardware components and then thought they were qualified enough to say things like "smart shift is underclock" (when referring to the PS5 in this case).

Dev statements = Zero evidence

Masters Degree in Xbox Ambassadorship = Evidence
Devs said that XSS will hold next gen back? Which ones?

In fact I bet this is why a lot of long time first party devs from MS have dropped previously promised raytracing from their games and XSX isn't getting it now too.
You think Halo doesn't have raytracing because of XSS? Interesting theory, considering how slow 343 are with literally everything they do. Also you mentioned "a lot" of first party devs, who else promised raytracing and didn't deliver?

Riky

$MSFT
You think Halo doesn't have raytracing because of XSS? Interesting theory, considering how slow 343 are with literally everything they do. Also you mentioned "a lot" of first party devs, who else promised raytracing and didn't deliver?

Since 343 had no problem holding back 120fps from Series S until it was ready even though it was on Series X we can throw that theory in the trash as well.

ParaSeoul

I always wondered if the series S ‘profile’, could be used to release an Xbox handheld mid-gen. After the steam deck, I’m hoping this still plays out in ‘24-25
It would probably still have to be refined a bit more to draw less power,run even cooler before you can stick that thing in a handheld. They'd probably have a better chip for that by then.

Another developer easily discredited like Amber Turd
Not discredited, just not very convincing. I've yet to see an explanation to why reducing resolution/frame rate/settings isn't enough to scale down a XSX/PS5 targeted game. It's easy to see why it doesn't work with last gen, since scaling down CPU und SSD is hard or even impossible. But GPU/RAM? I don't see it.

Riky

$MSFT
Xbox One also outsold 360 during the same time period ( 16months ) and it had a more expensive unit then other Xbox’s.
Despite what people think Xbox One and Series S/X have sold roughly the same during the same time peroid, 16 months, 13-14million.

Aaron’s tweet was not news, just cherry picking stats. It would of looked silly if he mentioned, Xbox One also sold this amount but failed to sell close to the 360 total number….

Not true again, Spencer said it was the best selling Xbox ever, that includes Xbox One.
"
Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, has revealed the Series X and Series S console generation is the best selling in the 20-year history of the brand.

Spencer announced the record-breaking results in an extensive interview in the New York Times,"

ParaSeoul

Well we haven't actually had any next gen only ones yet, but both those modes were not possible on the last gen consoles even One X which was the most powerful, so it's a good indication.
But then again The One X versions of 360 back compat games aren't on Series S are they? Or did they change that?

scydrex

What will MS do if Sony release a PS5 Pro? Will MS release a XSS 2 and a XSX 2 or only a XSX 2? Will MS sell 3 consoles? Will only replace the XSX with a XSX 2? If so then the spec difference between the XSS and the XSX 2 will be bigger than now... so they will have to release a XSS 2. MS obviously will want to keep the title of the most powerful console.

Md Ray

He changed his opinion after actually trying to develop for XSS. Before he only saw the numbers on paper, thought that the memory was split and was likely pissed off about it. It's interesting that people put so much validity on the one opinion where he has zero experience with the system, and put no validity on the opinion after actually delivering a product on the system.
Is that why DOOM Eternal doesn't have ray-tracing on XSS?

Shmunter

Not discredited, just not very convincing. I've yet to see an explanation to why reducing resolution/frame rate/settings isn't enough to scale down a XSX/PS5 targeted game. It's easy to see why it doesn't work with last gen, since scaling down CPU und SSD is hard or even impossible. But GPU/RAM? I don't see it.
You heard the terms target platform, lowest common denominator, path of least resistance, time, money, budget?

The bottleneck is the practicality quotient. Like an example above, if S can’t do Raytracing at whatever target - there is a good chance you won’t see it on x for the game either.

Last edited:
You heard the terms target platform, lowest common denominator, path of least resistance, time, money, budget?

The bottleneck is the practicality quotient.
Target platform is PS5/XSX. And those targets can easily be scaled down to run on XSS. It's more work/money, that's why some devs call it a pain, but it won't hold anything back. It's not like XSS is going to be the target platform.

oldergamer

This is all old news. Of course its a challenge to find ways to reduce memory without sacrificing in other areas. Its basically optimization to the extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom