• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Nvidia Laptop RTX 3070 In-Depth: Can A Mobile PC Deliver Next-Gen Gaming Experiences? [DF]

GHG

What's the point in testing the 95w version when that's the worst value proposition out of all of the mobile GPU options? For the price the 3060 is a much better buy.

qaGMpzC.png
Mh1I07J.png

Test the 115w version of the mobile 3070 or bust.

martino

They said in a DF weekly one or two week earlier they will not compare to console if exact same settings are not possible....
A nvidia check and here we are.
At least the video is tagged and we know what to expect in term of methodology and objective
i wish they would avoid this kind of crap. how many viewer do you need to be independent of that ? of course if they also have the will to avoid it...

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What's the point in testing the 95w version when that's the worst value proposition out of all of the mobile GPU options? For the price the 3060 is a much better buy.

qaGMpzC.png
Mh1I07J.png

Test the 115w version of the mobile 3070 or bust.
Man these watt ratings are fucking mess, it never should have been like that. One of the few reasons, why I have a MacBook at least I know what I am buying. And it's not like I am technically illiterate, not the mention these power consumptions for laptop are absolutely insane, how long it last on battery, 20 minutes?! Why even buy a laptop if you can make yourself not much bigger (in volume) desktop...

Not mentioning that M1 chip probably smokes most of the CPUs listed here.

M16

Man these watt ratings are fucking mess, it never should have been like that. One of the few reasons, why I have a MacBook at least I know what I am buying. And it's not like I am technically illiterate, not the mention these power consumptions for laptop are absolutely insane, how long it last on battery, 20 minutes?! Why even buy a laptop if you can make yourself not much bigger (in volume) desktop...

Trying to justify your macbook purchases. Always the same with you apple folks. You do realize those watt ratings are under load, and normally the igpu is activated for normal tasks, and it switches to the dedicated gpu for gaming or whatever.

And lol at that m1 comment. I see you drank too much of the koolaid.

Next time dont try to pretend you aren't technically illiterate.

Darius87

i've stopped watching when Richard said:
and let's not forget as PC is forefront of innovation in gaming space always has been always will be.
does it mean technology? because i don't see any PC game that innovates, most PC games are ports of consoles in general gaming have become stagnant.
Sony made PS5 with I/O complex which could lead in gameplay innovations, windows has yet to release it's counterpart Direct storage. how PC in forefront?

elliot5

does it mean technology? because i don't see any PC game that innovates, most PC games are ports of consoles in general gaming have become stagnant.
Sony made PS5 with I/O complex which could lead in gameplay innovations, windows has yet to release it's counterpart Direct storage. how PC in forefront?
lol

Pagusas

Elden Member
Trying to justify your macbook purchases. Always the same with you apple folks. You do realize those watt ratings are under load, and normally the igpu is activated for normal tasks, and it switches to the dedicated gpu for gaming or whatever.

God the cringe.

M1chl

Try to build anything for Mac/iOS without Mac. For official AppStore that it is. MacBook is worth it for that alone.

Sorry but, I am a dev with knowledge beyond what your small head can comprehend. Also "Apple folk", yeah absolutely when I own 3900x/3090RTX

It's always the same with these low IQ folks.

Kenpachii

Clearly never played PC games. The biggest juggernaut titles we have currently all originate from PC and even entire genre's are not found on console.

Most innovative games these days are indie titles these days anyway as big company's like sony are just playing it safe through rising costs.

Last edited:

Darius87

Clearly never played PC games. The biggest juggernaut titles we have currently all originate from PC and even entire genre's are not found on console.

Most innovative games these days are indie titles these days anyway as big company's like sony are just playing it safe through rising costs.
titles like?

I bought an Alienware laptop with a 980m quite a few years ago, and the thing still runs pretty great. Granted, at the time, I was going to college, so I needed something portable, and it cost twice as much as a desktop. But it runs most modern games somewhere between high and low settings. But I've gotten nearly six years of use out of it.

Gaming laptops are totally viable if you need them to be, heat hasn't been an issue, although it needs to be plugged in basically 100% of the time that I play a game. But it's still easier to put a laptop + charger in a backpack than it it is to lug around a desktop.

Darius87

Dota's / BR games / rogue like games / survival games / mmo genre / indie games like billiions / 12 days ( whatever it was called ) / city makers like anno / e sports
i don't see any genre that's not on console(like PSone times) apart e-sport.

GHG

Yep it's terrible.

I'm shopping for a new laptop at the moment because my old one shit the bed and I can't be bothered to open it up and diagnose/fix the problem because it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle (it's 6 years old).

I'm most cases the power rating for the GPU isn't advertised on the spec sheet and the only way to find out whether it's the 95w or 115w version is by emailing the laptop manufacturer or by contacting customer service via live chat or some shit. It's ridiculous.

Part of me thinks some companies are deliberately making it difficult for people to know so that they can get away with selling the 95w versions at a premium.

Last edited:

M1chl

Yep it's terrible.

I'm shopping for a new laptop at the moment because my old one shit the bed and I can't be bothered to open it up and diagnose/fix the problem because it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle (it's 6 years old).

I'm most cases the power rating for the GPU isn't advertised on the spec sheet and the only way to find out whether it's the 95w or 115w version is by emailing the laptop manufacturer or by contacting customer service via live chat or some shit. It's ridiculous.

Part of me thinks some companies are deliberately making it difficult for people to know so that they can get away with selling the 95w versions at a premium.
I guess it's the case, where MAX-Q and MAX-P rating went? Because Watt rating is pretty arbitrary, f they move to another process then the max performance would be let's say 95W and it's going to be different. nVidia should enforce W rating for manufacturers and slap some badge on to it or something. Because I totally see how people are going to research for that.

Darius87

im not even going to entertain these questions lmao if you don't know how minecraft was innovative (and in many ways, still is) then i'm sure you can find some youtube videos on the history of minecraft
there wasn't any crafting game or there wasn't any FPS game before minecraft? i'm only see innovation in it's cuboid look though there must be some lego game released before 2011.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yep it's terrible.

That’s what it is. With the rtx2xx series they at least had the decency to disclose MaxQ vs MaxP as the power indicator.

GymWolf

If you have to have a laptop, having one that can play games is perfectly legitimate. You don't have to be rocking a 3090 desktop to be a PC gamer.

My 3060 mobile is great at 1080p gaming, and that's all I need.

Also, LOL at "serious gaming". There's no such thing, that's an oxymoron.
Sure thing dude, i'm not gonna try changing your mind, but for the majority of people, buying a laptop for high end gaming is stupid as fuck, they are overpriced with worse performance and temps.

And casual gaming pretty much exist, unless you think that the guy who play a couple of hours of fifa every week is comparable to people who play everyday, visit forums, open topics to discuss videogame related stuff, buy pricey collector editions, buy multiple games every month etc.

Every hobby has different level of commitment\money spended on it, it may be sound cringe, but it is the reality.

Last edited:

GymWolf

i've not played minecraft so i'm might be wrong but i'm asking at what exactly minecraft innovates? still got no answer.
It's the only game that manage to have a worse artstyle than animal crossing, pretty revolutionary if you ask me.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

You know why those are big? They're free and will run on anything, hardly innovative

Oh i didn't know we had to invalidate games based on free to play or run on anything.

i don't see any genre that's not on console(like PSone times) apart e-sport.

Probably everything by now is on consoles, but i won't pretent PC has the best cinematic story 3rd person single player walking sims that award goes to sony. I don't put shadow of the tomb raider on the same level as TLOU2 or Red dead redemption 2. Games exist but they originate on consoles and move to PC after a certain time or not at all.

The same goes for PC gaming in tons of genre's.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Theres no reason to get an amd gpu in a laptop. Nvidia is superior.

RDNA2 is a bit more power eficiente than Ampere. So it's well worth puting them in laptops.

Literally says "Sponsored" in the video title. But ok.

It also says analysis. And let's not forget the many videos that DF has done shilling for nVidia. Especially Alex.
There's a good reason they were the first to receive the RTX 3080, well ahead of sites much bigger and with better reputation.

Top Bottom