• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2021 - PC, Xbox, PlayStation - Another Amazing Year!

sircaw

Banned
Where is diablo 2 res, if we are talking about graphics here, the visual upgrade over diablo2 classic to resurrected is simply staggering?

No Fair,

other than that, good list imo.

Although i have not played them, no ps5 sigh, FUCK YOU SANTA, need a chimney i guess, i do like the look of these.

R+C and Raturnal (Cheap green rat joke) "lollipop_disappointed: are simply next-gen beautiful, also really like the artwork in The Ascent, some of those sci-fi settings are the best i have ever seen.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

lol amazing. Yes a year full of underwhelming cross gen games in amazing. These are the people in charge of dissecting graphics in this industry….. no wonder we are in such a shit state.

They actually brought up deathloop. Just shut down the channel already. They have jumped the shark.
Still better than last year list without ghost of tsushima :d

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
lol amazing. Yes a year full of underwhelming cross gen games in amazing. These are the people in charge of dissecting graphics in this industry….. no wonder we are in such a shit state.

They actually brought up deathloop. Just shut down the channel already. They have jumped the shark.

Lol what?
Beyond Dread *which actually does look stunning in handheld mode and maybe Deathloop the whole list is absolutely stellar examples of great looking games and should should make you excited for next year and the year after when they can abandon lastgen games.

Even the crossgen titles are absolutely stunning on PC and nextgen.
Kena, Metro Exodus EE and Forza Horizon 5 look significantly better in their nextgen versions.
I know people say they look the same last gen and (PC)next gen....but thats objectively not true.
Lego Builders might be the best non-tech demo game ive ever seen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nah, VRR raises contrast levels and can cause flickering on current implementations in TV sets. Even the flagship C1 and CX models.

I can't say I've ever noticed that, but then I also use my SX on a 4K Monitor, not a TV, and I use the Freesync VRR, not the HDMI 2.1 VRR. Maybe there's a difference there.

It's an absolutely fantastic feature.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can't say I've ever noticed that, but then I also use my SX on a 4K Monitor, not a TV, and I use the Freesync VRR, not the HDMI 2.1 VRR. Maybe there's a difference there.

It's an absolutely fantastic feature.
Yes, better results are on monitors vs TV sets. But even some monitors contrast levels get raised, and sometimes the black frame is removed.

I hope this ends the 'DF is paid shills' nonsense once and for all. Ratchet and Clank was certainly a good looking game. Pity they didn't mention MS Flight Simulator with its cloud based rendering and DF never looked at Pyschonauts 2 at all. Quite the bummer.

They mentioned Flight Sim was included last year, when it actually came out.

And Psychonauts 2 is not a great looking game graphically. Although it does have a charming art style

Last edited:
In game 100% yes. Do you have ratchet for ps5?
It's very impressive, even Spiderman Remastered and MM are breathtaking at times.

I think a lot of people were caught off guard because they thought we're going to get really bogged down ray tracing implementations considering the "limited" hardware.

Last edited:

kyoji

wheres gears 5 hivebusters?
Wheres demons souls? 2021?

hCRkaCp.gif

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Nah, VRR raises contrast levels and can cause flickering on current implementations in TV sets. Even the flagship C1 and CX models.
To add, it's because the refresh is at a constant 120hz and the voltage isn't meant to be variable when the refresh drops below that point. That's why the blacks came out like an ips screen. Supposedly 2022 OLEDs will have an actual hardware revision to address this once and for all

I mean yeah, it’s ratchet and clank that wins in graphics. It’s kinda the only game that looked next gen to me, although it was a bad game.

Having played Returnal, it looks nice but it looks like a ps4 game minus the particles tbh. Certainly the ps4 couldn’t do all that it’s doing at that fps but the actual detail is nothing amazing. And there’s some definite jank in there like her feet sliding across the floor and trees/geometry being disconnected and stuff like that but overall it is good for their first “big” game. I think their next game could be a knockout.

Still need to play re8 village and sackboy on ps5.

Last edited:
Ratchet is definitely just awesome to look at. Especially the city part with all the ships and everything moving around, steam, rt, hdr. Just lovely to look at with a bunch of different vistas throughout the game.

Last edited:
Nothing in that game is rendered in the cloud. All graphical rendering is done locally on your machine. Cloud is used for data storage and streaming. On top of that this game was first released in 2020.
Fair enough. There was plenty of laughs when Crackdown 3 came out with regards to using cloud based technology. Flight Simulator seems to have realized that tech. Also Flight Simulator coming out on PC in 2020 doesn't have anything to do with it hitting consoles in 2021. It running on a $300 console was quite the feat vs a $3000 PC.

Tripolygon

Banned
Fair enough. There was plenty of laughs when Crackdown 3 came out with regards to using cloud based technology. Flight Simulator seems to have realized that tech. Also Flight Simulator coming out on PC in 2020 doesn't have anything to do with it hitting consoles in 2021. It running on a $300 console was quite the feat vs a $3000 PC.
That is because what Microsoft promised was increasing the power of the console with the power of the cloud. What they are doing is loading high-resolution assets as you play the game, they are not doing any computing to enhance the visuals or gameplay in the cloud. COD does the same thing as well to reduce the game package size. They can't possibly include all the map data on the Bluray or initial download so they have to rely on cloud storage to load in the data when needed as you play.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I hope this ends the 'DF is paid shills' nonsense once and for all. Ratchet and Clank was certainly a good looking game. Pity they didn't mention MS Flight Simulator with its cloud based rendering and DF never looked at Pyschonauts 2 at all. Quite the bummer.
Flight Simulator was a 2020 release on PC and they included FS in this list last year.

Last edited:

Maybe not the visuals but John says he likes the game a lot and it's definitely one of his GOTY choices.

[Sigma]

Returnal at number 3. Hmm, I dunno if I agree. I do like the atmosphere/lighting/particle effects for sure. Nothing wrong with the details neither but it's kinda difficult for me to say that with everything it has, that I would put it in my top 3. I'd put it in my top 10 though for sure. I do have Ratchet as number 1.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Unfortunately we all know the narrative will flare up again the next some a DF comparison comes out with results not to folks liking in either camp.

DF and NXG seem to bring out the "best" in people. Personally, I appreciate the work they put into what they do. I think it is fine to provide commentary that doesn't agree with what they say, but to go to the extent as to question their integrity just doesn't jive with me.

Orbital2060

I havent played it, but it makes sense with Ratchet just based on the quality of the resources and lighting and everything going on. Just purely observed through a next gen lens.

Top Bottom