• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2021 - PC, Xbox, PlayStation - Another Amazing Year!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
giphy.gif
Look at that clipping. In a venerable Pixar like film no less, for shame.

Exanthus

Banned
I mean every year there's top ten lists for graphics so Ratchet @ Clank was bound to be talked about again since the visuals were very good. I don't see anything wrong with that to be honest.

Nothing wrong at it.. graphically nice for sure.
Can only imagine what Wolverines going to look like

skit_data

Actually a bit surprised by the top 3 picks, I thought they’d go with Forza Horizon 5 in one of those three spots.

I’m happy to see Returnal get some proper recognition for its visuals. The combination of all the particles, the sound design and the haptics really contribute to the intense experience.
Also, I really wanna get Ratchet & Clank Rift apart now that I got a 120Hz display to try out the 4k 40fps RT mode, really great decision by Insomniac Games.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Also during the said transcripts I shared it also shows Xbox brass saying John was the least likely to be swayed (though without digging through messages I can not remember the exact wording) as they knew John wouldn't be "bought"

The "recruiting" began with the Xbox One X deep dive and its not like they were 100% bought to sell Xbox they were just swayed to be more pro Xbox and of course they accepted the money
Where is the proof of this? I have never heard nor seen anything reputable that stated anything like this. As I've stated many times, the channel seems to have a "preference" no doubt, but I don't think they've ever been "bought." I'm sure there were sponsored videos but that's quite a bit different from what this is implying.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Also during the said transcripts I shared it also shows Xbox brass saying John was the least likely to be swayed (though without digging through messages I can not remember the exact wording) as they knew John wouldn't be "bought"

The "recruiting" began with the Xbox One X deep dive and its not like they were 100% bought to sell Xbox they were just swayed to be more pro Xbox and of course they accepted the money
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF
Happy Dance GIF by MJ5

Rivet

Sadly Xbox 100% went after Richard and recruited DF to be pro Xbox and have shown the transcript to Mod of War Mod of War for proof

This kind of transcripts should be public. Then we'd finally have tangible proof some of them were bought out by MS (which is probable when listening Richard in a lot of past videos) and we could all stop talking about "conspiracy theories".

For what it's worth, it's well documented MS uses shady marketing strategies, including paid astroturfing. They were caught astroturfing multiple times for Internet Explorer back in the day :

https://www.pcworld.com/article/439...ggers-again-to-promote-internet-explorer.html

Last edited:

KingT731

Does it have RT on Xbox? RT elevates this game to new heights.
idk. I played it on PC with ray tracing enabled though and it wasn't a big difference. The reflections looked nice but they looked "off" in most areas. There's a ton of places that have these pristine reflections when it's very clear that the state of the environment that they shouldn't reflect the way they do. Didn't make sense.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, that narrative needs to just stop. Same with @NXGamer.

You got your answer Topher Topher :D

We're not even out of this very topic yet ..

This kind of transcripts should be public. Then we'd finally have tangible proof some of them were bought out by MS (which is probable when listening Richard in a lot of past videos) and we could all stop talking about "conspiracy theories".

For what it's worth, it's well documented MS uses shady marketing strategies, including paid astroturfing. They were caught astroturfing multiple times for Internet Explorer back in the day :

https://www.pcworld.com/article/439...ggers-again-to-promote-internet-explorer.html

Just because Digital Cloundry chose a PlayStation game as best graphics doesn’t mean they aren’t biased towards MS.

They clearly are and always have been. This video doesn’t change that.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

i won’t make these messages public nor will the staff here as I shared it with them in total confidence everything I did share would never see the light of day.

It also came from the very upper management at Xbox and not some low level peon

Topher

Gold Member
You got your answer Topher Topher :D

We're not even out of this very topic yet ..

Actually that leaves me with doubts, but not answers. Frankly I'm not sure why this information was shared with GAF mods. What's the point? Only HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 or a mod can answer that. If they are not inclined to then personally, I'm not going to draw conclusions based on hearsay.

Edit: HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 had a reply to you asking a ton of questions, but I thought better of it. You opened one hell of a can of worms here, dude.

Cringe Olli GIF by DASDING

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That came out last year.

Also, personally I would have swapped out Returnal from the top 3 for FH5. I imagine they didn't include Flight Sim cause it was already in last years list.
Is FH5 on number 4? I haven't watched the video but someone said that only the top 3 games are ranked.

Topher

Gold Member

Season 6 What GIF by The Office
Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Sorry......I'm reading this thread backwards and my mind is blown. so many questions.......

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Actually that leaves me with doubts, but not answers. Frankly I'm not sure why this information was shared with GAF mods. What's the point? Only HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 or a mod can answer that. If they are not inclined to then personally, I'm not going to draw conclusions based on hearsay.

Edit: HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 had a reply to you asking a ton of questions, but I thought better of it. You opened one hell of a can of worms here, dude.

Cringe Olli GIF by DASDING
I have mentioned this a few times over the years here about DF and yeah sadly I can’t go into much more detail then what I did

Anyhow Merry Christmas all off for the weekend be back Monday

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yes, we got the answer, they were bought out by MS, someone here has the proof of it. It's not a "narrative" if it's true.

Did you read the other posts in the thread ?

I also have proof from my uncle who works at Nintendo that Digital Foundry are actually reporting directly to Shigeru Miyamoto.

Am I going to provide said proof ? Of course not. :messenger_moon:

Boglin

I have mentioned this a few times over the years here about DF and yeah sadly I can’t go into much more detail then what I did

Anyhow Merry Christmas all off for the weekend be back Monday
You've also shown your beautiful beachfront property and expensive truck. I know you sold out DF and Microsoft for some of that fat neogaf money.
You're probably wearing a top hat and smoking a pipe this very moment.

adamsapple

No need to be like that. I'm skeptical of anything I don't see with my own eyes, but HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is a respected member of this community. That counts for something.

I'm sure they may be a respected member here but you can't exactly write something like that without showing receipts.

If they are obligated to not show the proof, we're also obligated to completely disregard anything they post as laughable material at best.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm sure they may be a respected member here but you can't exactly write something like that without showing receipts.

If they are obligated to not show the proof, we're also obligated to completely disregard anything they post as laughable material at best.

You can be skeptical, doubtful and respectful at the same time.

adamsapple

You can be skeptical, doubtful and respectful at the same time.

Kinda hard to be when a few bad faith actors lash onto this notion of perceived bias and try and derail a thread, even when the results of the video in said thread shows the opposite.

If the material is too controversial to post publicly, DM's open Heisenberg. I will gladly acknowledge the evidence openly.

adamsapple

Merry Christmas everyone.

Merry Christmas to you too Topher Topher :messenger_smiling:

Hopefully Saint Nick delivers and provides evidence of this absolutely nutter-butter thing some folks have clung onto so we can be done one way or another.

But somehow I don't see that happening and this talking point being regurgitated in all future DF theads too. Which is extremely unfortunate and counterproductive to any discussion.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I've been playing a lot of Forza Horizon 5 lately and I can't say I'm blown away. That's not so much a knock on FH5 as it is props to FH4 I'm sure the density of objects is much higher in FH5 as can be seen by the One vs Series comparisons in the video. I'd probably say the same thing about R&C vs 2016. I think I'm just having my old my yelling at clouds moment, but games last generation looked amazing and now they look more(?) amazing. The most impressive thing from that DF video was the lighting differences in Metro. It's also weird to see Village in their list as I wasn't impressed by that at all, but maybe I'm having a hard time divorcing my enjoyment from the game versus the technical mastery. On the other hand, I hated the Ascent but it is very beautiful game.

I'm also curious to see how long 60FPS sticks around that generation. We saw a lot of that in games when the PS4 launched (Switch too). And while R&C and Returnal weren't cross generation, I'm sure seeing so many cross generation games helps the new consoles hit the higher frame rate targets.

Load times continue to be the most impressive thing about this generation for me. Demon Souls is the only thing that has blown me away visually this generation.

Lastly, and I know it is retro, but I'm surprised Dusk on Switch didn't get a mention from John. It is an amazing port.

Last edited:

Boglin

I'm also curious to see how long 60FPS sticks around that generation. We saw a lot of that in games when the PS4 launched (Switch too). And while R&C and Returnal weren't cross generation, I'm sure seeing so many cross generation games helps the new consoles hit the higher frame rate targets.
Having the choice to pick between quality or performance seems to be pretty well received so far so I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes standard practice.

bender

What time is it?
Having the choice to pick between quality or performance seems to be pretty well received so far so I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes standard practice.

I think you are right, if nothing else to future proof the games so that developers don't need to go back and patch titles to take advantage of the next generaiton.

adamsapple

I think you are right, if nothing else to future proof the games so that developers don't need to go back and patch titles to take advantage of the next generaiton.

Most games have a 30 FPS lock on "Quality" modes so that won't really benefit much for future consoles.

Would need to be unlocked FPS for that, I was gonna say add a toggle but if we start adding so many setting toggles, may as well get a gaming PC.

bender

What time is it?
Most games have a 30 FPS lock on "Quality" modes so that won't really benefit much for future consoles.

Would need to be unlocked FPS for that, I was gonna say add a toggle but if we start adding so many setting toggles, may as well get a gaming PC.

Maybe an uncapped framerate toggle but you probably want that capped at certain intervals.

Think of the well known select auto makers in auto magazines example- not dissimilar.

Trying to buy off Digital Foundry seems like such an odd tactic as their influence is relatively niche when compared to the overall gaming audience.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe an uncapped framerate toggle but you probably want that capped at certain intervals.

Trying to buy off Digital Foundry seems like such an odd tactic as their influence is relatively niche when compared to the overall gaming audience.
Nah this fits in with Microsoft’s attempts to buy astroturfers, have a big presence of Twitter and this insane fascination with wining the tflops war. They have always cared about the niche hardcore gaming audience. Most times it works out for us because we get insanely powerful machines like the x1x but not always.. see Phil rubbing elbows with toxic guys like timdog.
Agree all around. Returnals graphics and visual tech part isn’t as obvious because it’s more about how much is going on at once and it’s not just a matter of resolution. They cover that in the video and I’m glad they did. The 1080p line gets thrown around without context….It’s a next gen game.
Returnal only looks good in the first two levels. Third level looks like a ps3 game and the rest looks like a ps4 game at best. Only the particle system impresses in those last three levels.

Top Bottom