• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe in Bethesda talent to make INDIANA JONES?

Roberts

MachineGames are great. It's not a very popular opinion, but The New Colossus is a total blast and a masterful blend of sombre and ridiculous as well as a super fun fps. The stuff they did for Quake 1and 2 remasters is great too.

xrnzaaas

I'd like it to play like Uncharted games, especially since they're not coming out anymore. It's more likely they'll try several semi-open maps with plenty of filler content. And yeah, it has to be TPP.

I don't think it will be a top quality game. The license was probably expensive and there will be pressure to launch it on Game Pass as soon as it's relatively complete.

Laptop1991

Well it's not just Bethesda now, who arn't making the game, it's the whole gaming industry as a whole, i've saved so much money by not pre ordering and waiting a couple of years for the games to be fixed and cheaper or not bothering to buy at all.

Machine games are a solid studio.

The logical thing would be for this to be third person given the character, but 1st person given the studio. Time will tell.

EDMIX

A great question. I honestly don't now.

I'd like to be wrong, but they need to really prove themselves in this area. I have nothing against that Wolfenstein team, but this is just a completely different genre, IP etc.

But shiiiiiiit I doubted Guerilla Games would nail Horizon Zero Dawn, after all they never even did a game like that, yet that might be the IP they get remembered for in the long run by the majority.

So its a big wait and see

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
No… but I’d love to be proven wrong.
This is the correct answer, absolutely nowhere near the talent to do Indy justice, I could name a dozen studios far better suited (we all know who would do it best) but Bethesda? Fuck no they wouldn't even get on a top 50 contender list... But, let's see

SJRB

Gold Member
yeah...no.gif

Topher

Gold Member
An Indiana Jones game should be something similar to Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Machine games isn't known for games like that. I'm hoping they will surprise me.

HL3.exe

I believe in Machine Games yes. I love the old 2000's Starbreeze games and the 2 Wolfenstein reboots are great.

I dont care for Indy though. Would love if those Swedes finally get the chance to make something original, instead of constantly working with other IP's

Last edited:

Hawke502

This is the correct answer, absolutely nowhere near the talent to do Indy justice, I could name a dozen studios far better suited (we all know who would do it best) but Bethesda? Fuck no they wouldn't even get on a top 50 contender list... But, let's see
Which studios would be better than Machine Games?

Topher

Gold Member
Oh, you're one of those, gotcha

One of what? Bend made a pretty dang good Uncharted game for the Vita. Days Gone isn't my favorite game, but still more in line with what I think a Indiana Jones game should be than Wolfenstein.

Harlock

I don´t think they can make a good story. Btw the same thing with Sony games. The shit writing that infected Hollywood seem now full installed in game studios.

Hawke502

Days Gone isn't my favorite game, but still more in line with what I think a Indiana Jones game should be than Wolfenstein.
Yeah, if you like buggy messes with a gameplay loop so boring and one dimensional that makes Ubisoft's game design seem like peak Arkane in comparison, yeah, sure.

Red5

Huh? Medal of Honor and Thief are vastly different in setting and Tone.

On a side note we really do need a new Thief with the same Voice Actor.

My answer was that a first person Indiana Jones game doesn't have to be Medal of Honor with whips, it can be like Thief, Tenchu, Dishonored etc...

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, if you like buggy messes with a gameplay loop so boring and one dimensional that makes Ubisoft's game design seem like peak Arkane in comparison, yeah, sure.

I didn't say they would be my first choice, now did I? But would I choose them over Machine games? Sure. They simply have more experience making these type of games.

Majormaxxx

If the new game is not set in the classic Indy period, it will be bad.

It has to be in a similar time period to the extended universe of Indy - comics, novels etc.

It has to be Indy in his prime

Majormaxxx

My answer was that a first person Indiana Jones game doesn't have to be Medal of Honor with whips, it can be like Thief, Tenchu, Dishonored etc...
From what we know, the game will have different modes. So it's not impossible it will be at least partially a fps

Topher

Gold Member
If the new game is not set in the classic Indy period, it will be bad.

It has to be in a similar time period to the extended universe of Indy - comics, novels etc.

It has to be Indy in his prime

I agree. And I'm doubtful they would be able to get Harrison Ford to do the voice acting so may be difficult finding a voice actor who will do Indy justice.

DJ12

Am I the only one hoping this Indiana Jones game will be a Point & Click adventure game like Fate of Atlantis was?
No me too fellow old git.
Maybe I'm not the right target audience, but I'm not feeling hyped about an Indiana Jones game in modern day gaming.
Maybe if this was the 80s or 90s. Not now.
In a world where Uncharted and tomb raider didn't exist it would be perfect. The shame is it will be compared with Uncharted and it won't be good.

Last edited:

Majukun

that would imply knowing which staff is involved in the game and which is still in bethesda at all, and of course remembering the names of staffers involved in some of their great games of the past.

any studio, with enough money (which they will have) and the right people can create greatness, doesn't matter if called bethesda or whatelese

for sure their rpg engine seems ill suited for an indiana jones game...but they are part of a bit conglomerate, they can get access to a lot of tech, including just using unreal

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

The Devs have a good pedigree and Metroid Prime/Exhumed/PowerSlave are good reference points for a 1st person shoot and explore style game (we need some third person stuff in there too).
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine had some great puzzles in there too.

I'm going to be controversial and say let's wait and see before judging...

Majormaxxx

I agree. And I'm doubtful they would be able to get Harrison Ford to do the voice acting so may be difficult finding a voice actor who will do Indy justice.
Mr. Ford will 100% not do it due to his age and the budget of the game (he is expensive and doesn't do games. Only movies and documentaries). However, they always find adequate imitators. For example Doug Lee in Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine was different but similar and adequate. The actor in Emperor's Tomb, the late David Esch was also adequate.

CGNoire

It will be like Medal of Honor because it will almost certaintly be in the late 30s and have you moving amongst Nazi compounds and Nazi Dig sites atleast a good chunk of the game.

Goalus

It depends on whether they manage to include a character like the one played by Phoebe Waller-Bridge who takes the lead and makes snarky remarks about the patriarchy every now and then and complains about Indy mansplaining to her on a regular basis.

Top Bottom