• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe in Bethesda talent to make INDIANA JONES?

BlackTron

I wouldn't mind an Indiana Jones game just so there is a decent piece of new Indiana Jones media out there. Or they could further secure the rot of the IP with lame decisions...

Sure, we already have Uncharted, but give me Uncharted of the original Jones trilogy (yeah we are never getting this, it's gonna be about the latest movie with 40 minute sequences where you play as the girl and can do everything Indy can, but without needing his whip or gun, just your trusty fist. And the VA talks about it the whole time too, with the voice clips layering over each other because you activate triggers too fast, till the final boss where you punch Indy with 1 hit point. 99 METACRITIC)

Ar¢tos

For a few seconds I imagined Indiana Jones made By FromSoftware... and i liked it! Bloodborne cane whip gameplay would be amazing.
Souls whip gameplay could work too, but Bloodborne style is more exciting!

Topher

Gold Member
Under MS Rare made their most successful game ever.

Eventually, yeah, but that misses the point that the Rare of today has no resemblance to the studio that existed before Microsoft bought them. Well....seemed like they were for a few years after being acquired, but that didn't last very long.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The main problem is that we have had the Tomb Raider and Uncharted series that have been spiritual Indiana Jones games. So all you have is the name and character 'Indiana Jones' which is not a whole lot really.

RickMasters

It’s being made by the same studio that makes the Wolfenstein games. I like those so yeah I expect it to be a good game.

I think it will play like a mixture of the two games that are inspired by Indy Jones’s the most ( tomb raider and uncharted) and that’s fine it’s kind of a full circle thing.

RickMasters

It's gamepass filler, it doesn't have to be good. Disney is getting paid regardless of sales, and Indiana Jones popularity is very low, so they don't really care if the game is good/successful or not.
That’s an aweful lot of uninformed assumption. You don’t know what they do/ don’t care about or their expectations of this game….. at this point you only have your expectations to work with, which to be honest is what you posted. But why assert it like you know what Xbox is doing? You don’t know anything. You have seen about as much footage of the game as the rest of us……hint: that means you have seen zero footage.

Wolfenstein The New Order and Old Blood were good. Couldn’t stand New Colossus. Too many cutscenes and it tried to be super serious and have Deadpool style crude/shock value humor at the same time. Didn’t work for me at all. The whole game is supposed to be super in your face about how bad racism and stuff is, and then they turn the black guy character into a stereotype for a gag where he fucks the fat German chick. Like damn do they know what juxtaposition is? Gameplay wise it was just more of same so it wasn’t too compelling on that front either.

The previous games were serious with a bit of humor but it was measured. New Colossus just turned it up to 11 and it was obnoxious. Didn’t even play the one with the two daughters because I just assumed it was more of the same. Plus they added leveled/scaling enemies to a boomer shooter and I heard it made enemies bullets sponges and the game overall pretty bad.

I would be interested in an Indy game if it was more like New Order in quality, but I feel it’ll probably ride the trend of making Indy emasculated and also have bad marvel tier quips everywhere.

intbal

Mr. Ford will 100% not do it due to his age and the budget of the game (he is expensive and doesn't do games. Only movies and documentaries). However, they always find adequate imitators. For example Doug Lee in Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine was different but similar and adequate. The actor in Emperor's Tomb, the late David Esch was also adequate.
Anthony Ingruber's impersonation is mostly perfect.
He also was the body double for Harrison in the most recent film during the action scenes.
He knows the character and can do the voice. If they cast anyone else, then they're not really serious about making the game.

simpatico

I can't see an Indiana Jones game being anything other than a rebranded Uncharted game. All they have to do is make it generally as good as the Tomb Raider reboots and it will do fine. Branding will do the heavy lifting.

SantaC

I can't see an Indiana Jones game being anything other than a rebranded Uncharted game. All they have to do is make it generally as good as the Tomb Raider reboots and it will do fine. Branding will do the heavy lifting.
But uncharted is rebranded indy game

Ar¢tos

That’s an aweful lot of uninformed assumption. You don’t know what they do/ don’t care about or their expectations of this game….. at this point you only have your expectations to work with, which to be honest is what you posted. But why assert it like you know what Xbox is doing? You don’t know anything. You have seen about as much footage of the game as the rest of us……hint: that means you have seen zero footage.
I never said it would be bad... I said it doesn't need to be good to fulfill its purpose.

Saber

Gold Member
Honestly wish to be proven wrong, same as Fable. I like Indiana Jones franchise and was hoping to be a fun, cheesy and entertaiment game.

But thats only wishfull thinking. Have absolute no faith on them.

Gojiira

No,Machinegames dont have the pedigree, I have the feeling the game will just follow their fps formula and I dont see the whip being satisfying to use beyond traversal..
Uncharted works because of the quality of the characters writing,Drake,Sully,Elena etc all have fantastic characterisation. Machinegames have never even made a interesting character let alone a good one and they have to write and deliver Indiana Jones? I dont see it.
If they go the Tomb Raider route I expect modern TR, with all the same boring,dark,moody nonsense to go with it,just mowing down hundreds of enemies.
Id like to be surprised and it actually be more like classic TR where the whole map is essentially a puzzle, that makes sense for Indy. But yeah its not really MG’s ballpark.

Majormaxxx

Anthony Ingruber's impersonation is mostly perfect.
He also was the body double for Harrison in the most recent film during the action scenes.
He knows the character and can do the voice. If they cast anyone else, then they're not really serious about making the game.
He's pretty good at mimicking Mr. Ford indeed. Although I don't find that super accuracy is necessary to portray Indy. We just need the baritone voice, the cockiness and last but not least he needs to be a good voice actor in general.

Majormaxxx

This game will just be a really bad copypasta of TR and Uncharted. Keep your expectations in check.
It will be multi genre in my opinion. Maybe some driving and flyinf, some puzzling, some fps, some 3rd person brawling or jungle traversing... I don't think it's going to be only 3rd person.

intbal

He's pretty good at mimicking Mr. Ford indeed. Although I don't find that super accuracy is necessary to portray Indy. We just need the baritone voice, the cockiness and last but not least he needs to be a good voice actor in general.
He is. Look at his credits.
His Joker in Batman Telltale is his best work.

bender

What time is it?
I thought the New Order was one of the most overrated shooters that has come out in a long time. While it is head and shoulders after the games that followed it, that doesn't give me much hope of Indy turning out well.

Majormaxxx

I thought the New Order was one of the most overrated shooters that has come out in a long time. While it is head and shoulders after the games that followed it, that doesn't give me much hope of Indy turning out well.
The New Order and The Old Blood, if you played them in 2014-2015 at release were pretty great. But yeah, I get it.

bender

What time is it?
The New Order and The Old Blood, if you played them in 2014-2015 at release were pretty great. But yeah, I get it.

I got the New Order a few weeks after release because of the hype. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was bad, but it just did nothing for me. I'm not the biggest fan of Doom 2016 either, so maybe it's something about the modernization of id's classics that puts me off.

Majormaxxx

I got the New Order a few weeks after release because of the hype. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was bad, but it just did nothing for me. I'm not the biggest fan of Doom 2016 either, so maybe it's something about the modernization of id's classics that puts me off.
I played it at release on ps3 and it felt meh. Then two years later I finally bought a ps4 and thoroughly enjoyed both TNO and the old blood.

Wolfenstein The New Order and Old Blood were good. Couldn’t stand New Colossus. Too many cutscenes and it tried to be super serious and have Deadpool style crude/shock value humor at the same time. Didn’t work for me at all. The whole game is supposed to be super in your face about how bad racism and stuff is, and then they turn the black guy character into a stereotype for a gag where he fucks the fat German chick. Like damn do they know what juxtaposition is? Gameplay wise it was just more of same so it wasn’t too compelling on that front either.

The previous games were serious with a bit of humor but it was measured. New Colossus just turned it up to 11 and it was obnoxious. Didn’t even play the one with the two daughters because I just assumed it was more of the same. Plus they added leveled/scaling enemies to a boomer shooter and I heard it made enemies bullets sponges and the game overall pretty bad.

I would be interested in an Indy game if it was more like New Order in quality, but I feel it’ll probably ride the trend of making Indy emasculated and also have bad marvel tier quips everywhere.
You made it a lot further than I did. The plot / scenarios were so exploited i was just lost all sense of it being a Wolfenstein game. And there was a lot of that precursored in the previous but it was tolerable. But they jumped the shark of whatever. And then youngblood after that, not touching it with a 6million foot pole, even the premise is so cringe I was embarrassed by proxy.

Coconutt

I don't believe Bethesda can make either a good Fallout or Elders Scroll at this point.
the wolf of wall street GIF

Top Bottom