• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe Sony will try and secure or develop a major WRPG game this generation?

fermcr

Sony wanted to secure some kind of exclusive deal for Starfield before Bethesda being acquired by Microsoft... so yes, Sony will try to purchase developers for WRPG games or make 3rd party exclusive deals.

Er all they need to do is get one of their studios to make an open world game in some ersatz medieval setting and suddenly it's an rpg.

Not really sure what studio that would be at this point. Don’t see Santa Monica or Naughty Dog making a game like that

And the other studios are either too small or already have big franchises in development (ghost 2, horizon 3, wolverine, etc)

Last edited:

Yoboman

One benefit to adding From Software is they could instantly access the modified Bluepoint engine used in Demons Souls

CamHostage

So, what is people's idea of an "RPG" these days?

Because if we're just talking about, "Is the game achingly long and have other stuff to do besides pushing buttons?", then sure, they'll make another Horizon, or maybe something like Days Gone or Demons' Souls. You collect stuff and do this and that sometimes in between fights, right? And if we're talking, "strategic, consequential character progression for use in tactical encounters," then probably not since there doesn't seem to be many games at all which could be described that way. Every game is a button work-out with a progression tree these days, and that's pretty far away from what I used to consider an "RPG".

Seems like it's more important to identify what is missing from the Sony gamer diet in general than to just try to fill whatever hole is unfilled without a game which would traditionally fit the term "RPG", because the genre has splintered and mutated and cross-pollinated to the point that the term has lost most of its meaning or power. Starfield won't be big because it's in the "RPG" category, it'll be big because it's Starfield, a big new Bethesda creation set in space.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Sony can help CDPR reach a new level with support from other studios and increased hiring, with the ability to not have to rush their games to satisfy investors.

With them working on a 3rd brand, it's an ideal time to acquire them.
That would be dope.
They would also gain GOG if they acquired them so they could sell their games there without giving 30% cut to Steam who is in desperate need of some competition.

Last edited:

fyyi.gif

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
But Sony's attempts to capitalize on that with Demon Souls Remake and Blood Borne did not pan out with similar growth.
Bloodborne is what made me buy a PS4. For me games like Demon's souls remake and Returnal are not the same as games like GOW or TLOU series. That is why I talked about Sifu. Those games are for the fans and Sony do not mind if it is a small niche.

But during the PS3 days Sony was throwing into the wall to see what stuck.
True. But back then the cost of games was not as high as now and AA games were still a thing.

EN250

They should, MS bought Bethesda and RPG games from them are not coming back to PS5, so yeah, either secure 3P support or start building in house

Last edited:

Crayon

Not really sure what studio that would be at this point. Don’t see Santa Monica or Naughty Dog making a game like that

And the other studios are either too small or already have big franchises in development (ghost 2, horizon 3, wolverine, etc)

It's not too late. Get sucker punch to throw some pointy ears in there and make some of the swords fire and ice magic and we're golden. Sprinkle around some treasure chests with shitty loot, while we're at it. And a character creator where you can only make ugly faces.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I think you’re crazy if you think sony is going to sit back and let things like Elder Scrolls VI release with no offer of their own. Bethesda’s rpg were big sellers on playstation, i don’t see them not trying to secure something big of their own.

The thing about WRPG games is they lock people into the ecosystem for a long time. Thats why something like that is good for gamepass, longer engagement similar to multiplayer.

Sonys single player action games don’t really do that, they are going to want longer rpg games of their owon
They clearly care a lot about losing about cod, not sure they even mentioned bethesda loss once. In addition, Cod also comes annually and games like Starfield, Fallout, Elderscrolls are rare. Sony is doing very well as it is.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Microsoft has a firm grasp of the WRPG market, with the remaining developers being multiplatform or PC.

There’s really nobody for Sony to grab, nor have they ever cared about the genre.

WRPGs also aren’t something you just snap your fingers and create. There’s a reason why nobody has managed to duplicate what Bethesda has done.

Last edited:
Microsoft has a firm grasp of the WRPG market, with the remaining developers being multiplatform or PC.

There’s really nobody for Sony to grab, nor have they ever cared about the genre.

I dont think they would have been trying to get exclusivity or starfield and have got one for KOTOR if they didn’t care about the market. That wouldn’t have been a cheap deal either

RedC

I think they are ready to buy From Software if the opportunity arises but otherwise no

In fact I think we are pretty much past the acquisition rush for anything major. Activision will be blocked and companies are operating at a much lower value than a year ago and unlikely to sell right now
From Software is owned by Kadokowa and I doubt they would be willing to sell after releasing their biggest-selling game.
Elden Ring is indeed an RPG and was made by a Japanese Studio but is it really a JRPG?

Better yet, is it what people associate with JPRGs?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I dont think they would have been trying to get exclusivity or starfield and have got one for KOTOR if they didn’t care about the market. That wouldn’t have been a cheap deal either

Historically they have never cared. Maybe you can point to where I’m wrong but not once have I seen Sony bat an eye at the genre, or even attempt their own WRPG.

kyussman

I'm not sure they care much for the genre and Microsoft have stomped them anyway.....Starfield,Avowed,Fable,The Outer Worlds 2,Elder Scrolls 6,Fallout 5.......no contest.

Bloodborne is what made me buy a PS4. For me games like Demon's souls remake and Returnal are not the same as games like GOW or TLOU series. That is why I talked about Sifu. Those games are for the fans and Sony do not mind if it is a small niche.

When Sony funded Demon Souls they were expecting it to be big. They weren't aiming for a niche. Blooborne was also supposed to be bigger, I can only see Demon Souls remake being a game Sony was expecting to target a niche but even then they way they marketed it, it seemed like they were trying to get Souls fans on board.

True. But back then the cost of games was not as high as now and AA games were still a thing.

The cost of games were pretty high, and much of Sony's flops were at that time AAA games. They lost boatloads of money back then for a reason.

That's why current Sony is more selective. They couldn't handle a pummeling like that with todays budget, they barely made it last time. It's why I don't believe they are interested in making an in-house AAA rpg in any format.

what was the last JRPG series that did over 15m?

Never if we are talking about home devices. For an individual release anyway.

1 if we include portable.

yurinka

Yes, the next main Horizon game after Forbidden West already is confirmed.

Other than that, they have amost every single big WRPG and JRPG company releasing their games on PlayStation, and having PlayStation as their best selling platform. There's no reason to develop more RPGs in-house.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
theres not alot of good wrpg devs left tbh, chances are very low.

That would be dope.
They would also gain GOG if they acquired them so they could sell their games there without giving 30% cut to Steam who is in desperate need of some competition.

Exactly, though the steam cut isn't exactly 30 percent.

Last edited:
If you run a company are you going to sell after your share price has been crashing for a year or wait until it returns to prior market conditions?

If Activision fails it also basically takes any big publisher out of the picture

It depends. They were probably overinflated to begin with. The question is what the real value is, but regardless it has to be presented to the board and the shareholders, who might want to make any of their money back.

Activision is considerably larger than any other publisher, so what happens with Activision has little bearing on the rest of the industry.

I don't think Sony or MS could buy From software because Tencent owns a big chunk of the company. In fact, Sony only bought shares supposedly to stop Tencent from buying out the company. Pretty much it is CD project red or bust. Better act quickly because MS has an eye on them and Ubisoft.

Last edited:
I believe that there is a handfull of new studios specialized in RPGs, with veterans having worked at Bioware, Obsidian, Bethesda and CD PR. Whether Sony has them on its radar is a different question altogether.

RedC

Yes, the next main Horizon game after Forbidden West already is confirmed.

Other than that, they have amost every single big WRPG and JRPG company releasing their games on PlayStation, and having PlayStation as their best selling platform. There's no reason to develop more RPGs in-house.
There's going to be a considerable void a decade from now left from Obsidian, InXile, and Bethesda no longer releasing single-player WRPGs on PlayStation.

Sony can either proactively try to minimize this now or do nothing and have a segment of their player base feel this void and potentially go with a different option for their WRPG needs.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
They should, feels like MS has snatched pretty much all the big WRPG devs.

I had a difficult time thinking who would still be big and viable until someone mentioned CDPR, that’d be a great get - given that they’d want to be bought.

But even then it’ll be difficult to compete against stuff like StarField, TES, Fallout, Outer Worlds, Avowed etc.

I had a difficult time thinking who would still be big and viable until someone mentioned CDPR, that’d be a great get - given that they’d want to be bought.

But even then it’ll be difficult to compete against stuff like StarField, TES, Fallout, Outer Worlds, Avowed etc.

Witcher 4 will be bigger than all those games except for elder scrolls.

I think people forgot that Witcher 3 is at 40m sales right now

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

And inXile

Robb

Gold Member
Witcher 4 will be bigger than all those games except for elder scrolls.

I think people forgot that Witcher 3 is at 40m sales right now
For sure, and even Cyberpunk 2077 was very successful despite the poor launch.

I’m thinking more about the quantity though. MS will (or at least should) be able to push out lots of quality WRPG’s over time, while CDPR might deliver one Witcher game every 6-7 years (?).

I don't think Sony or MS could buy From software because Tencent owns a big chunk of the company. In fact, Sony only bought shares supposedly to stop Tencent from buying out the company. Pretty much it is CD project red or bust. Better act quickly because MS has an eye on them and Ubisoft.

Please find out how much of a company you need to own to block a purchase... stunning that you could make such a confident post without knowing what you're talking about... do better

fart town usa

Gold Member
The Last of Us could easily be turned into a Fallout-style WRPG.

I'd prefer to see a brand new IP with a different setting but it seems possible.

The Last of Us could easily be turned into a Fallout-style WRPG.

I'd prefer to see a brand new IP with a different setting but it seems possible.
No way. TLOU is rich with so much unexplored lore and content. You could very easily tell the story of new characters in unexplored locations. The groundwork is already done and I suspect many people would fall over themselves for more content.

fart town usa

Gold Member
No way. TLOU is rich with so much unexplored lore and content. You could very easily tell the story of new characters in unexplored locations. The groundwork is already done and I suspect many people would fall over themselves for more content.
For sure. I'd just prefer a new IP for a 1st party Sony WRPG because I'm not interested in TLOU. Not saying it's bad, just not my cup of tea.

Alebrije

For sure, and even Cyberpunk 2077 was very successful despite the poor launch.

I’m thinking more about the quantity though. MS will (or at least should) be able to push out lots of quality WRPG’s over time, while CDPR might deliver one Witcher game every 6-7 years (?).
That is my solution :

Witcher substitutes Elders Scrolls
Cyberpunk ( CDPR wont let die the IP) instead of Fallout or Starfield...

The only characteristic that Falloutgames have is the VATS , and is great but you can have bullet time instead it.

Meanwhile Square learns from Forspoken and releases something better...

Also we have Dragons Dogma 2 , and another Wrpg that could be released like Kingdoms Come

Sony is more hungry of an exclusive FPS than a WRPG

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Can't ND or someone else from Sony first party studios do it? Acquiring studios does not seem something Sony would do, they are more into organic/natural growth from what I understand. Contracting young developers, nurturing them, teaching how to code and once they are sure they are a good fit to the organization they start developing their own games.

Maybe the horizon guys.

Last edited:
Microsoft is the WRPG king.
Even if Sony got one game, MS has Bethesda, Inxile and Obsidian sitting there with games sitting in the pipelines.
Obviously there is Starfield, which is the biggest RPG ever created (over 1000 planets baby), but they have Fallout and TES lined up after that.
Then Obsidian has Avowed and the Outer Worlds 2 on the go.
And don't sleep on Inxile. Their new game, Project Cobalt, is a Steam Punk RPG, which could be cool as fuck.

Can't ND or someone else from Sony first party studios do it? Acquiring studios does not seem something Sony would do, they are more into organic/natural growth from what I understand. Contracting young developers, nurturing them, teaching how to code and once they are sure they are a good fit to the organization they start developing their own games.

Maybe the horizon guys.

If their studios don’t want to make an rpg they would most likely buy a smaller rpg studio or sign a deal for hatever they’re making.

Top Bottom