• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Nintendo will do some PC ports after seeing Sony have success with it?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't see that happening, they are very protective with their IPs.

We are already lucky enough for getting some third party titles like the first Octopath or Bravely Default II.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
InfatuatedDeadGoldenretriever-size_restricted.gif

Robb

Gold Member
No, at least not any time soon. And if they do I don’t think Sony will have much influence on that decision.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I would normally say no, but we shouldn't forget that they produced games for the mobile market. I would love see their games on PC, officially:messenger_smiling_horns:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Success......I wouldn't call it that.
Remember in Feb it was reported GOW2018 passed 2million on PC

Then Sony posted the numbers a couple of months later....
wqY48Fe.jpg

I don't think selling 2% of the console sales is something Nintendo is looking for.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

wqY48Fe.jpg

I don't think selling 2% of the console sales is something Nintendo is looking for.

You have to consider ROI. Modern consoles are very similar to PCs. It costs peanuts to port the game when compared to developing it. Obviously Sony is happy since they bought Nixxes and said their service games will be day 1 on PC.

I highly doubt it unless they really, really have to do it. Nintendo wants to give people as many reasons possible to purchase their hardware. That’s one of the main appeals of owning Nintendo consoles. You get exclusive experiences you generally can’t find anywhere else. It would probably hurt hardware sales I feel just like it hurt Microsoft hardware sales with their PC ports.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
In business that 2% could be difference between red and blue numbers
You have to consider ROI. Modern consoles are very similar to PCs. It costs peanuts to port the game when compared to developing it. Obviously Sony is happy since they bought Nixxes and said their service games will be day 1 on PC.
Yeah but we're talking about Nintendo.

Corian33

They won’t, because it’s Nintendo, but if they did it would probably involve some kind of super clunky launcher, a subscription fee, forcing you to buy a USB controller dongle, and $20 for a port of Super Mario Bros. that runs worse than an emulator on a phone from 15 years ago.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
No. Which is stupid since all of their games are fully playable on PC and in much better conditions than on their own consoles.

Reactions: Isa
Probably not. In fact I see Sony scaling back on the PC ports in the future to limit it to just live-service games. The recent string of games haven't been having the big splashes I thought they'd have and PS5s are in better supply now than ever.

Makes the PC space for anything but live-service games redundant. And before someone says "but it's easy money!", well PC is theoretically also easy money for Nintendo but as you can see, they aren't doing it and probably never will.

No. Which is stupid since all of their games are fully playable on PC and in much better conditions than on their own consoles.

Not legally.

wqY48Fe.jpg

Highlights an even bigger problem with PC; they're WAY more price-conscious than console gamers AND piracy is much worst as a whole on the platform. Not even sure how Sony are going to address that over time, and I can understand if Nintendo wants to part of such stuff.

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

Nah, if Nintendo cared about anything/where willing to learn from others; Nintendo's online services wouldn't be so god-damn trash.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah but we're talking about Nintendo.

Then why did you bring up Sony financials?

laugh-smile.gif

Nintendo is totally different than Sony because people buy their hardware just to play their games. Tons of people buy PS/ Xbox just to play CoD/Fifa/Fortnite. Mario Kart, Zelda, etc attach rates are insane. Plus they always make a profit on hardware. I don’t see Nintendo ever doing native PC ports unless it’s specifically for the Chinese market.

Holammer

Yamauchi's ghost stalks the corridors of Nintendo HQ, cursing anyone even thinking about selling Nintendo product outside its own ecosystem.
So nah, but I would spend a heck of a lot more money on Nintendo games if they did. Last time I spent money on Nintendo product was for the Game Cube.

In fact, if they did... (pay close attention Mr Nintendo Investor!) I would need to budget Nintendo purchases for mooooonths, only to wash the games I have pirated. I would literally make it rain.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Not legally.
Dumping a game is perfectly legal IF you own the game and keep it to yourself. Now sure that is not the case for, let's say, 80% of people who play with emulation.
Anyway, the point is we can already play these games on PC and Nintendo is just losing money here. But I don't see them doing PC native release.

Barakov

Will never happen. NIntendo always does what it wants and will only go after a new venture(ie. releasing games on mobile) if it makes sense for them. Nintendo wants people to keep buying their hardware so I don't see it happening ever.

Nintendo is a blessing and a curse in that regard.
Nintendo would have to absolutely bomb two console generations and run completely out of yen before they'd even acknowledge the PC exists.
Honestly, even if that happened I think they would rather burn the company to the ground than do PC ports or sell the company.

Top Bottom