• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Nintendo will do some PC ports after seeing Sony have success with it?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't think Nintendo should put BotW on PC with the idea of getting PC gamers interested in an upcoming Switch-exclusive Zelda that will run the game just like it did BotW 6 years ago. Any PC gamer who didn't already have a Switch to play this game, getting interested in TotK enough to buy the hardware, will just drop $400 to be disgusted with the performance and resent Nintendo.

Unless you suggest putting TotK on PC as well day 1...which would be even crazier TBH

I don't know about any of that. First, the idea is that Breath of the Wild would run at 60+ fps if it were released on PC. Second, it's arguably the greatest SP game of all time, and could run on a wide gamut of PCs now. There's a decent chance the idea would be extremely low cost (for Nintendo) with high reward. Sell 5+ million on PC and drive a few million to consider the switch when the TotK marketing blitz gets going.

"They would be leading themselves to slaughter" doesn't compute.

Most of the PC gamers if they wanted to play Nintendo games are already doing it via the emulators. Why would they care about an official port from Nintendo? They're not going to buy the game. Just like people with Gamepass aren't buying games after they played it on there.

BlackTron

I don't know about any of that. First, the idea is that Breath of the Wild would run at 60+ fps if it were released on PC. Second, it's arguably the greatest SP game of all time, and could run on a wide gamut of PCs now. There's a decent chance the idea would be extremely low cost (for Nintendo) with high reward. Sell 5+ million on PC and drive a few million to consider the switch when the TotK marketing blitz gets going.

"They would be leading themselves to slaughter" doesn't compute.

I think BotW will run outstanding on PC, why use that to generate interest in PC gamers in an upcoming 2017 tablet exclusive title?

Any of them that did get the Switch would result in sour feelings and bad publicity for Nintendo when they actually play TotK on it after dropping $400.

Some of you laughing, but people thought they wouldn't do mobile games either, yet here we are.
It's always the same clueless people making bold statements like that. "X will never Y", "Z does always A". As you've pointed out correctly, nobody here would have been able to predict what the state of the industry is now 10 years ago. 10 years isn't even a lot of time.

RafterXL

Yeah, that would be completely idiotic. Unlike Sony, the minute Nintendo starts releasing their games on PC is the minute many gamers stop buying Nintendo consoles.

PC emulation of Switch games is already infinitely superior to playing them on Switch, if the games were more easily accessible through Steam, or something similar, it would destroy cart sales. Not to mention they would lose their shit every time a GMG or CD Keys heavily discounted one of their "evergreen" titles.

Nah, they got a nice little racket going. People put up with their garbage hardware because they really have no choice if they want to play first party games, if you gave them a choice that would be bad for Nintendo.

Some of you laughing, but people thought they wouldn't do mobile games either, yet here we are.
Mobile games don't cannibalize their console business.

OuterLimits

Nintendo would have to absolutely bomb two console generations and run completely out of yen before they'd even acknowledge the PC exists.
With the amount of cash they made during the Wii days, and now the Switch, they could survive quite a few "failed" gens. Two out of the last three generations have made insane money for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sony most probably NEED it, see how much they bloat their games budgets, also they tend loose or gain little with consoles sales... Nintendo takes like 40% of their FY revenues just by consoles sales, their games are better suited for their close environment

Neff

The natural answer is "not a chance" but if you'd ask me 5 years ago about Sony going PC, my answer would have been the same.

The difference is that Sony and Microsoft have provoked each other into a hi-definition AAA rivalry and high stakes business model which they can't back down from and are now both struggling to keep afloat, which is why they're looking at alternative models and markets. Nintendo's games are relatively cheap to make and generate massive profits and attach rates. Giving people an option to play their games outside of platforms they control not only makes no sense, it would be a disaster and dismantle their market in no time at all. If you could have Nintendo and every third party publisher on PC and Steam Deck, why would you ever buy a Nintendo?

Last edited:

Josemayuste

No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

Blade2.0

Yeah, that would be completely idiotic. Unlike Sony, the minute Nintendo starts releasing their games on PC is the minute many gamers stop buying Nintendo consoles.

PC emulation of Switch games is already infinitely superior to playing them on Switch, if the games were more easily accessible through Steam, or something similar, it would destroy cart sales. Not to mention they would lose their shit every time a GMG or CD Keys heavily discounted one of their "evergreen" titles.

Nah, they got a nice little racket going. People put up with their garbage hardware because they really have no choice if they want to play first party games, if you gave them a choice that would be bad for Nintendo.

Mobile games don't cannibalize their console business.
I just don't agree with the bolded. Sony is selling the most consoles while still releasing exclusives on PC. If the argument is that Nintendo hardware just isn't as good as Sony's then maybe I might agree, but the portable angle of their hardware shouldn't stop it from selling even with software on PC. I would argue that having it portable is more of a selling point than having a PS5 on top of a PC, but here we are with Sony still selling PS5s as fast as they can make them, while still putting exclusives on PC.

I just don't buy the cannibalization angle.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What success?

If anything this recent string of duds on playstation pc is proving that maybe sony should rethink their strategy. they’re turning their biggest franchises into pc shovelware
how does god of war suddenly become pc shovelware
and again ROI. these ports are easy to make and are free money. they arent giving up any of that

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
the only real benefit to Nintendo games being on PC is better mods/mods that can go beyond the switch's hardware capabilities and online that actually works
but otherwise.... you guys got Yuzu.

cireza

No. And what's the point ? You can emulate their current gen console. Buy the Switch games, play them on PC.

They could actually sell an official emulator and games for it. This would be pretty smart.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If you could have Nintendo and every third party publisher on PC and Steam Deck, why would you ever buy a Nintendo?
because Nintendo has brand recognition that PC and Steam do not.

It's a rarity to find a casual or a normie who even knows what Steam is, let alone a Steam Deck. everyone knows Nintendo. everyone knows Playstation. everyone knows Xbox. Only people on the internet & the occasional IRL nerd know Steam. That's the power of advertisement.
That's why this whole 'exclusives going to PC would kill consoles' argument falls apart. Not everyone is as entrenched into the gaming sphere as we are.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

And how many "hope this gets ported to switch" begging threads are there?

Oh wait...
You're still wrong about your initial statement, so maybe don't double down, bud. Show me where in the title or my initial first post I begged or asked people to beg for ports?

Midn1ght

If you could have Nintendo and every third party publisher on PC and Steam Deck, why would you ever buy a Nintendo?
For the same reasons people are buying consoles today? Convenience, ease of use and price of entry.

This logic that releasing first party games on PC will render the console useless has been proven wrong already with the huge success of the PS5.
We shouldn't apply our "enthusiast gamer" logic to the greater market. What most of the Nintendo audience want is an affordable plug and play box for themselves or their kids purchasable at their local store.

Anyway, not happening anytime soon.

kiphalfton

You're still wrong about your initial statement, so maybe don't double down, bud. Show me where in the title or my initial first post I begged or asked people to beg for ports?

Wrong? Comparing Super Mario Run to a full fledged Nintendo game is comparing apples to oranges.

It's a cheap cash in and barely resembles the source material. Everybody can see that.

It's no different than those free crappy Nintendo knockoff Mario, Zelda, etc. games they use to have on Flash game sites, other than with the android games Nintendo signed off on it.

Blade2.0

Wrong? Comparing Super Mario Run to a full fledged Nintendo game is comparing apples to oranges.

It's a cheap cash in and barely resembles the source material. Everybody can see that.

It's no different than those free crappy Nintendo knockoff Mario, Zelda, etc. games they use to have on Flash game sites, other than with the android games Nintendo signed off on it.
They've done more than run. They did Mario kart, that RPG they closed, Pokemon stuff, animal crossing, etc. I mean Pokemon go was one of their biggest games ever.

Neff

because Nintendo has brand recognition that PC and Steam do not.

So from the perspective of a PC owner, why would you buy a Nintendo? The PC market is pretty big, and as of now, unless you emulate, you still have to buy a Nintendo to take part in that experience. From Nintendo's perspective, that's a lot of people who now won't buy your console and contribute to your amazing attach rates. It's a terrible idea.

This logic that releasing first party games on PC will render the console useless has been proven wrong already with the huge success of the PS5.

Very different situation because PlayStation can rely on the majority of publishers releasing the latest titles for their system. Sony can afford to 'weaken' first party exclusivity because they still have the big pubs and AAA. Nintendo can't.

Fat chance. They don't want to lose that exclusive factor that helped Nintendo to sell so many console.

Exactly. There really isn't much more to it.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So from the perspective of a PC owner, why would you buy a Nintendo?
PC owners already don't buy that many Nintendos when the system can easily be emulated on PC to begin with. It's profit that Nintendo's missing out on because they're not porting anything to PC.
but more over... why specifically from the perspective of a PC owner? I was explicitly talking about more casual gamers outside of the people who own gaming PCs. The COD and Fifa guys, or the millions of people who bought Animal Crossing and a switch back in 2020. Those people are Nintendo's main audience, and it's very unlikely that they'll know about PC.
You can talk up PC's benefits all day but if people don't know it people will get a console instead because they're more advertised.

LITERALLY emulation is an example proving this. You can emulate every first party Switch exclusive on PC with 0 purchase of a switch required, but the sales aren't stopping. Because the simple fact is that for every person who knows that you can play BOTW on Yuzu, there are 50,000 uneducated people who DON'T know and think the only way to play BOTW is to get a Switch. That's the major secret to Nintendo's success and why even with their underpowered hardware and emulation their money machine is still printing. Like I said before.... if EVERYONE knew that you could emulate/play many console games on a PC to begin with AND also knew the benefits of playing on PC, like if the knowledge of it was about as common as the answer to 1+1, the console industry wouldn't be nearly as big and as successful as it is today- shit would have faded away before the turn of the millenium. We wouldn't even be having this discussion to begin with.

Last edited:

Neff

You can emulate every first party Switch exclusive on PC with 0 purchase of a switch required

So really this begs the question, what's in it for Nintendo to release games on PC? Either the audience is there, but you're losing potential hardware sales and attach rates, or the audience isn't there, so there's no point. Either way, it's futile.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Nah, they got a nice little racket going. People put up with their garbage hardware because they really have no choice if they want to play first party games, if you gave them a choice that would be bad for Nintendo

120 million and counting. That garbage hardware must really be burning you up inside with its unjustified success.

EDMIX

Who knows, maybe.

Nintendo is not allergic to money folks, the fact that they put their games on mobile shows there is an interest in placing their games on platforms that make sense for the games they make. So I think if you start to see that, it will be of some classics or something so they can see what the market its like.

diffusionx

Gold Member
how the hell did this thread get so many replies, there is absolutely no way that Nintendo will ever port one of their games to the PC. Never ever.

Nintendo's mindset is like that of Disney's, they operate in their own constructed universe and invite their fans inside.

Last edited:

Larxia

Success......I wouldn't call it that.
Remember in Feb it was reported GOW2018 passed 2million on PC

Then Sony posted the numbers a couple of months later....
wqY48Fe.jpg

I don't think selling 2% of the console sales is something Nintendo is looking for.
I keep re reading your post and I don't get it, I must misunderstand something.
The game surely didn't sell 100 million copies on consoles (from what I found it was around 20 millions?), so how is 2 millions on PC just 2% of the consoles sales? I'm really confused :messenger_confused:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Either the audience is there, but you're losing potential hardware sales and attach rates,
and gaining profit anyways through easy to make ports that cost almost nothing and gain a massive return that doesnt eat into their console sales because more casual gamers know about the Switch than they do Steam.

Sony's still turning a profit with their PC ports.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seems unlikely, not sure Nintendo would know how seeing as thier development kits are from 2013. (I wish I was 100% kidding instead of only partially, Nintendo please prove me wrong in 2023......)

Seriously though, it would put in jeopardy the exclusive nature of thier games only being available on thier hardware, seems like it would be a mistake.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I keep re reading your post and I don't get it, I must misunderstand something.
The game surely didn't sell 100 million copies on consoles (from what I found it was around 20 millions?), so how is 2 millions on PC just 2% of the consoles sales? I'm really confused :messenger_confused:
I wasn't being literal.

Top Bottom