• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Nintendo will do some PC ports after seeing Sony have success with it?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Switch games not being held back by Switch hardware? Switch sales would take a NOSEDIVE. People put up with the hardware because you can't play the games anywhere else.

LVjmLcH.gif

Midn1ght

The natural answer is "not a chance" but if you'd ask me 5 years ago about Sony going PC, my answer would have been the same.

I only hope it happens for the absolute shit storm it would create among Nintendo people.

You think Sony fanboys are weird?

Laugh Laughing GIF by Gotham

Katajx

Gold Member
Not with their audience being as big as it is. I see Nintendo being more interested in selling things on their own platform and store so they can keep more of the money they make off of it.

Sentenza

Chances are it will take some old men at Nintendo to die or retire and being replaced by younger leadership before the idea is even considered.

SNG32

Honestly Nintendo just got their internet service somewhat decent I couldn’t even imagine how trash the ports would be if they decided to put their games on pc.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Based on how they tackled Nintendo Online, can we really expect a full set of basic features on PC? Would they really ditch their current requirement for subscription to play games online?

People are imagining a best case scenario where Nintendo joins everyone else on Steam and everything’s hunky dory but we should expect to be slapped in the face with a monkey paw. They are not competent when it comes to providing a modern experience.

dcx4610

I'd love for them to do it but Nintendo is stubborn. They want you to buy their hardware to enjoy their games.

PCs aren't very big in Japan but mobile is huge. Nintendo was pressured to do something mobile which is why we got Mario Run. Even then, they dragged their feet and haven't done anything since. Switch is too successful and Nintendo is one of the few companies that make money off their hardware. For them, there's zero reason for them to cannibalize their own market and sales.

For Sony and Microsoft where they barely make any money if any off their hardware, they don't and shouldn't care and should be putting their games on any platform they can.

Last edited:

Lasha

Mario Kart 8 has sold almost as much as the entire GoW franchise. Animal Crossing New Horizons has outsold the entire TLOU franchise. Nintendo lacks a reason to move to PC since it's able to sustain high sales on its consoles.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Since when has Nintendo done something following Sony? Never..

Maybe they will at some point, but not because of Sony. Many once console manufacturers did so way before Sony. Atari, Sega, Microsoft. To name a few..

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not for anything past maybe the Wii generation. The one thing they can't allow is to lose control of pricing for their recent titles that still sell at near launch price.

Chukhopops

They didn’t do it when they were struggling during the WiiU years, so they’re not going to do it now that they are successful.

Especially as they have to plan the launch lineup of the Switch successor.

It's not going to happen as long as Nintendo is in the console business. If ANY company has expressed and has had a reason to believe in the power of exclusive software, it's Nintendo --the company that singlehandedly kept it's N64, GameCube, and Wii U console failures alive by their own software. The company that saw the Game Boy/Pocket revive itself for many more years after the advent of a single game called Pokemon. Iwata has expressed in the past the power of one killer game and how it can change the entire landscape entirely. Sony may have talked about believing in exclusives, but Nintendo is a company that truly believes it. The smart phone games are part of their greater strategy to broadly broadcast their IP to a larger audience buying T-shirts for kids, going to theme parks, and watching movies at the theaters and catching glimpse and hearing talk of Nintendo related product or IP. Pokemon had another surge after Pokemon Go on phones became a hit, and they had a Hollywood movie lined up alongside an already long running anime series and trading card game all leading to the next major installment for the Pokemon franchise, which is the RPG games where the next gimmicks, Pokes, and all take place, exclusively on Nintendo's gaming ecosystem.

Nintendo is expanding their IP beyond their consoles, but their aim has been, and continues to, be about bringing in a larger audience to Nintendo's gaming platforms --the only place where you can play Nintendo's biggest and newest games.

Banned
I think if it turns out that the Switch 2 will be as easy to emulate on PC as the first one is, they might think about it.

the issue is that Switch games basically are on PC... many of the first party titles get priority by the Devs of the Emulators, so either on launch day or soon after all of Nintendo's games are easily playable on a PC, and the system is so easy to emulate hardware wise that even a Steam Deck often plays the games with better performance than the real hardware.

hell, the Switch is like 1 emulator modification away from being playable on Xbox. as soon as someone decides to make a DX12 renderer to either of the Switch emus it will be ported in an instant

so, if this happens again, it might be in Nintendo's interest to give PC users an official way to their games.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They probably should have released Breath of the Wild over the last 6 months to help drive sales of TotK.

There isn't a person on earth who's contemplating purchasing a Switch or investing in PC gaming. You wonder how much money they're leaving on the table.

The only way I see it is if they left the hardware business and was a strictly software company. They want people to play their games on hardware they make and sell. Porting it over to PC defeats that purpose.

Fbh

No.
Unlike PlayStation and Xbox, the entire appeal of Nintendo hardware is built upon their exclusive games

BlackTron

They probably should have released Breath of the Wild over the last 6 months to help drive sales of TotK.

There isn't a person on earth who's contemplating purchasing a Switch or investing in PC gaming. You wonder how much money they're leaving on the table.

I can't see BotW on PC driving interest in TotK on a 2017 tablet.

They would be leading themselves to slaughter.

BlackTron

Wait, what?

I don't think Nintendo should put BotW on PC with the idea of getting PC gamers interested in an upcoming Switch-exclusive Zelda that will run the game just like it did BotW 6 years ago. Any PC gamer who didn't already have a Switch to play this game, getting interested in TotK enough to buy the hardware, will just drop $400 to be disgusted with the performance and resent Nintendo.

Unless you suggest putting TotK on PC as well day 1...which would be even crazier TBH

Pretty much what's in the title. Do you think Nintendo is contemplating doing PC ports of their older games after seeing the successes that Sony has had on the platform?
No Nintendo is late to trends, they are extremely conservative far more than Sony. Sony doing this was a complete surprise something nobody saw coming. If this works out well for MS and Sony over the long run then Nintendo might do it in a time of necessity 10/15 years from now.

Top Bottom