• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Nintendo will do some PC ports after seeing Sony have success with it?

RafterXL

120 million and counting. That garbage hardware must really be burning you up inside with its unjustified success.
Damn, your reading comprehension sucks. People buy the hardware because of the games, not the hardware. If Nintendo games were on the PS4/5 the Switch would have 1/4 of its sales.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Member when iD came to them with a super mario 3 tech demo looking to port it to PC

doom thumbs up GIF

iD 'members

That is literally contrary to their very core values of business. I don't think we'll see a Nintendo published PC game anytime soon.

The only scenario I really see in the future is, maybe, when hardware becomes ubiquitous enough, there will be like a Nintendo streaming service that you can play games on a PC with.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Damn, your reading comprehension sucks. People buy the hardware because of the games, not the hardware. If Nintendo games were on the PS4/5 the Switch would have 1/4 of its sales.
If you Look up the list of best selling games the top 50.

Nintendo are on half of that list. I can't see them needing PC ports for now.

Among the top 50 best-selling video games on this list, over half were developed or published by Nintendo, including four of the top ten; four Nintendo titles were published with their affiliate, The Pokémon Company

Last edited:

RafterXL

So how well did that work out for the WiiU then?
You mean the Wii U that you can literally download the entire catalog off of Nintendos own servers which absolutely killed sales?

Or the Wii U that had atrocious marketing that literally had everyone thinking it was a controller add-on for the Wii? Or do you mean the Wii U that tried to attract hard-core gamers, but was underpowered dogshit and got zero 3rd party support?

Or the Wii U whose entire list of best selling games are first party Nintendo games? The Wii U sold 13 million units and virtually every game sold on it was made by Nintendo. Bringing it up just makes my point, it would have sold nothing at all if these games were on PC/PS/Xbox.

Basically the Wii U was clusterfuck of timing, ideas, implementation and design and would have failed no matter what. It's not the gotcha you think it is.

The fact is, if you polled Switch owners and asked if they would have bought it if they could get Nintendo games on other hardware, a sizable chunk of them would say no...including me.

Nintendos singular strength is their games, they aren't going to give that away for a perceived financial gain they don't need and would probably gut their hardware sales.

Freeman76

Nintendo? No chance lol

They just do their own thang, always will

Thats why they are my least favourite company of the three. They always put out outdated hardware so we have to play some of the best games out there on crap technology.

When big Phil was in meetings with them I was praying they would team up, but alas, my prayers were ignored.

Tams

Kinda doubt it. But hey, Nintendo fans freaking swore up and down that Nintendo would never stoop to making iOS/Android games and look how that turned out.

With them almost completely retreating from the area, and the games that have been released being shells of the games on their consoles?

daninthemix

There's less than a 1% chance of this happening. Part of the reason is that Nintendo likes to re-release even old games for quite high prices. Unlike with Sony, there's never the sense that a game has been "rinsed" and is fair game for another platform.

Not a chance. At least not when business is so good and they're more profitable than ever, without doing any porting to non-proprietary hardware.

Switch games not being held back by Switch hardware? Switch sales would take a NOSEDIVE. People put up with the hardware because you can't play the games anywhere else.
Such is the nature of the console business! Without games to play on it, a console is a very expensive paper weight. You only buy one because there's this game that you've gotta have and you need to buy the console to play it. I don't think Nintendo's business model works without consoles, so I'd prefer they keep things mostly as they are. I wouldn't complain about more powerful hardware though, or analog triggers on the controller!

mdkirby

Success......I wouldn't call it that.
Remember in Feb it was reported GOW2018 passed 2million on PC

Then Sony posted the numbers a couple of months later....
wqY48Fe.jpg

I don't think selling 2% of the console sales is something Nintendo is looking for.
I mean despite not incredible numbers, Horizon zero dawn on PC alone paid for almost 2/3rds of the development budget for Forbidden West, and God of War in 3.5 months would have covered 1/4 of Forbidden West budget. Lifetime, it'd prob cover the full budget. That's either a nice chunk of added profit and risk reduction on some more experimental stuff, or it can be funnelled into making another safe-ish AAA game.

Nah, Switch is #3 best selling console of all time. It's bigger than PS4 and PS5. Sony kinda had to start selling games on PC especially since Microsoft puts their games on both Xbox and PC.

Nintendo don't give a fuck. There are 123 million (and counting) Switch units out there and the top #10 best selling Switch games have sold between 15-52 million copies each. Sony games couldn't even crack the top 5 games on Switch.

Marvel14

Banned
You mean the Wii U that you can literally download the entire catalog off of Nintendos own servers which absolutely killed sales?

Or the Wii U that had atrocious marketing that literally had everyone thinking it was a controller add-on for the Wii? Or do you mean the Wii U that tried to attract hard-core gamers, but was underpowered dogshit and got zero 3rd party support?

Or the Wii U whose entire list of best selling games are first party Nintendo games? The Wii U sold 13 million units and virtually every game sold on it was made by Nintendo. Bringing it up just makes my point, it would have sold nothing at all if these games were on PC/PS/Xbox.

Basically the Wii U was clusterfuck of timing, ideas, implementation and design and would have failed no matter what. It's not the gotcha you think it is.

The fact is, if you polled Switch owners and asked if they would have bought it if they could get Nintendo games on other hardware, a sizable chunk of them would say no...including me.

Nintendos singular strength is their games, they aren't going to give that away for a perceived financial gain they don't need and would probably gut their hardware sales.
The point is Nintendo Software is not enough to ensure hardware success. Hardware has to be good enough too...and low relative power is not the same as "machine is crap".

Before the Switch there was nothing providing better than xbox360/PS3 handheld gaming at an affordable price combined with instantaneous full home console functionality to boot....the Switch is a well designed piece of kit with an excellent USP. Gaming is not all about graphical and processing power.

Astral Dog

The reason Nintendo doesn't rush to sell their games on PC is because they actually would be losing money if they do, they use a drastically different value strategy than most other companies, including Sony, when it comes to price drops, and it works.because they have such strong brands, leaking players to PC environment were they are forced to give Valve around 20%-30% of their profits, even if sold at full price(and we know "Steam fans" don't always like to buy games at full price, much less cartoony Nintendo games) is not convenient if they have the option to sell the content themselves. PC is not really a 'neutral' ecosystem.

I can see this changing someday, and Nintendo starts selling their content on PC for X reason, but its clearly not a priority right now. (selling games to people who hate their platforms)

Last edited:

Interfectum

I don't think Nintendo is interested in lessening desire for their hardware and giving Steam ~30% of their revenue. With each new release by Sony the pc gamers seem less and less interested and will most likely only get on some sort of deep sale, which is also something Nintendo isn't interested in.

Don't be surprised now that Sony is flush with PS5 stock that you see them pull back some of their releases on PC especially if they keep having these mediocre launches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom