• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want children?

Do you want children?

• Yes

Votes: 78 50.3%
  • No

Votes: 77 49.7%

• Total voters

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
you under estimate people, some people have kids to sell them or use them for other horrid shit

you have kids to carry on your bloodline at the end of the day, thats a selfish concept on its own, since you wont be there to see it long term

honestly its an off the cuff remark, to hide some of my own bitterness that i cant have kids. just let me have this one lol
lol was gonna rain on yer parade about that one then read your last sentence.. yeah man you're allowed to swing a few and sound off, can be tough but don't let it come between you and the missus, it ain't the be all and end all.. I'm constantly looking at my mate and his fucking weekend citybreak trips all over Europe jealous AF, his missus was in the same boat, have another m8, his swimmers are non existent and they went through a whole heap of IVF with donor sperm and he's now bouncing a wee girl on his knee at 46 fucking wrecked lol

GymWolf

No.

I have zero paternal instinct and i care too much about my freedom.

And i have too much stress in my life between family and work to even think about little cry machines.

Also, i don't like kids.

Last edited:

INC

lol was gonna rain on yer parade about that one then read your last sentence.. yeah man you're allowed to swing a few and sound off, can be tough but don't let it come between you and the missus, it ain't the be all and end all.. I'm constantly looking at my mate and his fucking weekend citybreak trips all over Europe jealous AF, his missus was in the same boat, have another m8, his swimmers are non existent and they went through a whole heap of IVF with donor sperm and he's now bouncing a wee girl on his knee at 46 fucking wrecked lol

nah man, weve slowly moved on, no blame or anything, is what it is

plus at least that mean her lady garden doesnt get ruined in child birth

so silver lining

Of course have the fun is making them
There is a reason why sex is maybe the most pleasurable thing to do, because it is so important to life.

For anyone who considers themselves a materialist or atheist, having children is literally the objective meaning of life. Without producing offspring, the work of natural selection cannot come to pass, and evolution comes to a dead end.

IMO this is why feminists and gender extremists are so into being revolutionary. They don't believe in a personal legacy. They are for abortion and for non-reproductive sex, not raising a family. Thus they feel an emptiness, because they know that when they die they will leave nothing behind. This is why they want to brainwash people and change the world now. The natural way is to have kids, to raise them to be better than you, and to make the world a better place through your personal actions. This is a far more sustainable and impactful way to influence the future than seeking political revolution.

I don't want to be a burden on my kids.
every single elderly member of my family has said the same thing, as have i myself. nobody of good heart wants to be a burden to anyone they care about. it's simply a fact of life, an event that will occur with elderly family members and loved ones. hard work, hard times and hard choices when it needs to be faced. i suppose it's really up to the grown child, because as i've seen time and time again, the elderly will say they don't want to be a burden yet will accept the help of loved ones when their end is near. it's a really, really hard task for the family caregiver and the elderly person to go through, yet one that i personally have found rewarding participating in.

GymWolf

Yes, i love kids. But i couldn't eat a whole one.
Really? They look so small...

spk_package_pillow.jpg

Aesius

I feel like most of the "no" responses seem heavily focused on the stress and difficulty of the baby stage. But when you have kids, you spend most of your life with them as adults, provided you aren't ancient or in poor health when you have them. And even then, most kids are pretty chill and fun by the time they're even 3-4 years old at the latest. And many more are great at much younger ages than that. I look at the relationship my brother and I have with my parents, and have had for years, and I envy it and want it for my wife and I. Both as kids and as adults, we had a great family dynamic with our parents. I can't imagine missing out on that.

xrnzaaas

I feel like most of the "no" responses seem heavily focused on the stress and difficulty of the baby stage. But when you have kids, you spend most of your life with them as adults, provided you aren't ancient or in poor health when you have them. And even then, most kids are pretty chill and fun by the time they're even 3-4 years old at the latest. And many more are great at much younger ages than that. I look at the relationship my brother and I have with my parents, and have had for years, and I envy it and want it for my wife and I. Both as kids and as adults, we had a great family dynamic with our parents. I can't imagine missing out on that.
A lot depends on how you raise your kids and whether you enjoy hanging out with children in general. In my opinion it's definitely longer than 3-4 years before getting to the "good stuff" and simply enjoying having kids. Even when your children are older to be more independant you still have to play with them, provide for them, find common hobbies, dedicate your free time to them and make sure they're raised properly. Some people will find happiness in that, some won't and will prefer to stay childless.

lachesis

I have a daughter (soon she'll be 14) from my marriage - I have 50/50 custody. I love my time with her, and as she's going thru her puberty and teenage angst mode now - still she's pretty cool kid, albeit little too introverted like myself. I have been pretty lucky to land steady career and have been living comfortably so far - I often worry about future when I cannot take care of her anymore physically & financially.

Sometimes I just wish, that she would turn back to baby-toddler days, when she was cute as a button... just for one day. :) It's one of those early parenthood memories makes me love my child even more - as even though she's quickly growing up to be a young lady, in my mind she's still a baby/toddler. But if I want to do it all over again at this point - no thank you, I'm done. My parents are still asking me to marry another girl and have 3 kids at least - but I'm just too jaded and tired to even date a woman to begin with.

With falling birthrates in many developed countries - and population decrease actually happening in places like South Korea - I thought about why many people don't want kids anymore.

Parental love asides, having a child in modern day is an investment with very little or no return. Unlike old days when children were primary caretaker of elders - but these days you'd be lucky if your kids call you once in a while to check upon you. Past generations - children were considered to be assets to the family's fiscal well being too - as in farms they helped out, at home they helped domestic chores, and during industrial era - they worked in factories and all. Baby boomer generation, really is the first real generation when kids became pure liability, not an asset. Not that I'm advocating child labor or whatnot - it's just something I heard on NPR a few years back... and I think it does have some point. In the past, they needed to have children to survive, especially in old age - but in this day and era, society have become easier to live without children tagging along, just like how marriage rate is going down in young folks these days.

My plumber once told me while taking a look at unbalanced water flow in my home heating pipes... that water flows to the path of least resistance (in common cases, as physics does prove that it's not always the case) - and I think that's what's happening. People are choosing easier path, even though our primal instinct tell us to mate and ultimately have children - but we just pretend to do so by using various ways of contraception, and move on with life. The love you feel for your child is indeed great & priceless, but it's something that can only be truly felt when you already committed to the cause - and that's the big catch and the hurdle - as modern society values have changed.

BWJinxing

Its complicated.

This is going to sound aweful, but if I had a partner of a different ethnicity, yes.

I get you can't control love and etc, that plays a factor too.

But I'd worry about passing along gentic defects and the like. Sickle cell, comes to mind. That stuff is a crapshoot, sure.

If I had a same-race partner, no.

A.Romero

I like children. I also imagine myself interacting with kids in a parent-child dynamic and I like it. However, I've never wanted to have children. I have lost relationships over the topic (most women want them) and have taken therapy about it. Still, I'm just sure I don't want them.

I love my life as it is. I think I could be a good father but I'm well aware that it basically means dropping everything and dedicate the rest of my life towards taking care of children. I'm simply not willing to do that. I don't see the point.

If for some reason I changed my mind I'd go for adoption. Don't get why people insist in having more when there are so many children that need help.

Also, there are more than enough people in the world already. My contribution to the planet is not doubling my carbon footprint.

Aesius

A lot depends on how you raise your kids and whether you enjoy hanging out with children in general. In my opinion it's definitely longer than 3-4 years before getting to the "good stuff" and simply enjoying having kids. Even when your children are older to be more independant you still have to play with them, provide for them, find common hobbies, dedicate your free time to them and make sure they're raised properly. Some people will find happiness in that, some won't and will prefer to stay childless.
Of course. There are difficulties at every age. My mother-in-law told my wife and I that she worries MORE about her kids as adults because their potential problems are even worse than when they're kids (marriage problems, job/financial woes, having kids of their own, etc.). And the fact that they all live relatively far from her makes it worse for her.

But I think that things usually become easier with every passing year after they've out of the toddler stage and start school. The teenage years can be hellish if the kid is just a total fuck up, of course, and that sometimes happens to kids who had great upbringings and solid parents (I grew up with many kids like that). It's a bit of a dice roll, but I think it works out pretty well for most parents.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
32 and wife is 30... we don't want kids because we are too selfish and lazy.
And kids are extremely annoying. My wife is not asking for kids at all. Maybe if she was pressuring me but she don't get parental instinct at all.
It does not help that my sister has 2 boys and they are such a handful... 1 day with them and I am done with life+ they remain all the attention and destroy everything.
Another thing is that we are not religious and my parents are. If I would not baptize the kid, my mother would not take it... and I don't want a fight or cutting ties with my family.
also - as pathetic as it is, we have only 46m2 flat and earn just about to live normally and allow ourselves for some stuff (although 48" oled still far ou of reach...).

I understand we will MOST PROBABLY regret not having kids in a few years when it's too late. But also, having kids just to hope they will take care of elderly you is not right. They might move away or even hate you... or die or whatever. I think everyone has kids but not everyone should have them

In the end - I am too focused on my comfy life and my friends and family with kids are so miserable, it's not really helping. Also, seeing how tough the remote school and everything is now with corona both for kids and parents, really makes me glad I don't have a kid now.
btw - for now I am a cool uncle who buys consoles and ps4 games for the nephew...

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Yes. In fact we're going through Ivf and I hope it'll work out. I just wish we hadn't stupid Corona cause it means I will have to stay inside for the next year since my country doesn't vaccine pregnants.

I used to dislike children but since I got a little niece I'm quite fond of them. I wish for a boy, though. Little boys are the best. Just not the fat ones. Or the ones wearing glasses.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
No.

j/k I have 3. Be warned, they are expensive and a lot of work. If you are damaged goods, please don't have them and pass it on.

regawdless

Banned
Make sure you have good insurances. I was at a friend's house and it was suspiciously quiet. For too long. We looked for his kids, who were "painting" on his car with sharp stones. The side of the whole car was a shitty looking forrest, scratched into the paint.

So yeah, just a heads up.

Doczu

Make sure you have good insurances. I was at a friend's house and it was suspiciously quiet. For too long. We looked for his kids, who were "painting" on his car with sharp stones. The side of the whole car was a shitty looking forrest, scratched into the paint.

So yeah, just a heads up.
Yeah, insurance is a must. I took coverage for my little one after one of my buddies had to pay for a 70+ inch tv his kid just floored while climbing some friends furniture.
And i know mine will also be capable of stupid things of epic proportions...

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'd love to. It's finding to women I can imagine having them with where it's at honestly.

For a long time I thought that I wouldn't but if that Covid crap thought me anything, it's that you simply adapt. Before Covid my whole live was basically centred around gym training. Then all gyms closed and guess what? I adapted and got used to it. I still love sports and always will. If I'd have a kid with less or no time for gym, I'd just to something else. Squeeze in some home training here and there. Same with my other hobbies. Say read a book instead of playing a game, whatever.

But alas, I don't think it'll ever be. 34 now, no proper women in sight (seeing the girls and wives of my mates sends chills down my spine) and I can't imagine ever being a father to some other dudes child. So yeah, I made peace with it.

eot

Banned
Nope.

First of all I've never liked kids, having them around or being around them. Some people say that changes, but why take the risk. Secondly, I really need my time alone and I think I would actually go insane from having to take care of a kid every single day. I'm just not wired to handle that kind of thing. Maybe If I found someone I knew I wanted to settle down with then that would change, but I still haven't been with a girl who I didn't feel like I needed some time away from.

Being an uncle is enough for me.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If I had kids I’d probably love being a father, but as of now I really don’t. I don’t want the stresses and responsibilities of being a dad. I think to be a great parent you need to make your kids your entire life and I kinda just wanna live my life to the beat of my own drum without worrying about any extra responsibilities.

Durien

I have 2 kids, a boy and girl. At first, wasn't too sure about having kids. My wife and I are in the tech industry and enjoyed dual income, no kids, let's get away this weekend for some time off without needing to plan. One day, my wife's bio-clock was going off like a nuclear siren. I gave in and we had one. A couple of years later, she starts wanting to have another, I look at her like she is crazy but give in and have a daughter. Those kids are the best things in the world for my sanity. They might drive me crazy from time to time but well worth the cost of admission. I am not exactly the best dad, (I'm in IT and my job sometimes has me working late hours) but I try to make up for it when I can LOL. My wife and I were never into Disney World or any of that, now we make pilgrimages every couple of years. Covid has really f'd my vacation plans up....

NahaNago

I'd like to have kids someday. I always wanted to have a close and large family. Just not anytime soon. Maybe in like 10 years.

Bombolone

Gold Member
I have nieces and nephews that I love. I like being the uncle.
At 36, I have thought about this question throughout my 30s, and atm I just don't have that instinctual gut feeling to have em. I can only guess that's what people who want kids feel. I'm lucky, as a man, I still have time (biologically) to have that choice.

I don't think I could cope with the day to day life of taking care of a child, it would be too straining on me, and my sleep times will be messed up even more.

Relativ9

Yeah we're probably going to try for one next year actually.

Many people say that they wouldn't want to bring a child up in this "horrible" world, but I find that defeatist, self-vitimised, passive and nihilistic. If you want a better world take action to improve it, such as giving birth to and raising a responsible, capable and kind child.

Also we both like kids, are in stable financial situations, and are drawn to the idea of having a little mini-us running around.

Last edited:

Thurible

If I would to marry, I absolutely would. We catholics believe a marriage should be both fruitful and unitive. You don't have to have children but you have to be open to it.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Well, I didn't have my dad in my life so I didn't have the benefit of having them both. I would have a hard time teaching/raising them. Plus, I
m a manchild. Don't want kids touching my stuff. never had sex either.

There is a reason why sex is maybe the most pleasurable thing to do, because it is so important to life.

For anyone who considers themselves a materialist or atheist, having children is literally the objective meaning of life. Without producing offspring, the work of natural selection cannot come to pass, and evolution comes to a dead end.
Heavy disagree. I'm an atheist. Having children is definitely not the objective meaning of life.

And sex being pleasurable because 'it is so important to life' just feels like rationalized thinking to try and make sense of things, even if it's not true. Kind of how I view religions (no offense)

Yes, it seems like it might not happen but I do want them. From my perspective it's an important part of the purpose of life. Life itself is some combination of an experience, and a gift. If you do it well you make the world a better place, and have some fun and interesting experiences in the process, and I'd like to pass that down.

Cattlyst

It's a no from me. Happy enough seeing my friends social lives and finances ruined by kids, and have enough neices and nephews to have some light touch interaction with kids. But ultimately they can go away when I'm bored and I can get back to important shit like drinking and gaming 👍

Ichabod

Banned
It's a no from me for a few reasons. I'm too selfish and set in my ways to make room for a kid and my pup does a fair job at scratching what little paternal itch I do have.

Parenting is challenging enough only now parents have the added stress and pitfalls of raising a child in clown world. I'll pass.

Valonquar

I used to work in RTP, NC. Ton of companies all piled close together, with a small strip of food places on one side. Everywhere always packed to capacity at lunch. It was pretty common to see someone meet up wtih their wife\kids for lunch. One particular time I was at lunch in Arby's with a co-worker. 2 tables down was this dude , maybe mid 30's. He looked like he was barely awake. Clothes were fucked up and not buttoned properly, his hair was a mess, and a thousand-yard stare. Across from him was a 30ish woman, and a couple of kids maybe 2 or 3. She was yapping away about her day, the kids were screeching at full volume. The mother reached across the table and took the dude's phone, and put it on some youtube video to shut the kids up. 15 seconds later one of the kids screams "NO!" grabs the phone and whips it clear across the restaurant.

What really stuck with me is the lack of expression on the guy's face. He was well beyond acceptance, or caring. This was his life now. His eyes slowly followed the phone through the air as it shattered upon impact with the floor. He stood up, walked across the room, gathered his phone, walked back and sat down like nothing had happened at all.

I'd decided on a child-free existence a long time before that, but I'd always had a sense of guilt about it. At that moment though, I was totally like "FUCK, I'm glad I don't have kids." and I think I wasn't the only person in the room thinking that.

Doczu

I used to work in RTP, NC. Ton of companies all piled close together, with a small strip of food places on one side. Everywhere always packed to capacity at lunch. It was pretty common to see someone meet up wtih their wife\kids for lunch. One particular time I was at lunch in Arby's with a co-worker. 2 tables down was this dude , maybe mid 30's. He looked like he was barely awake. Clothes were fucked up and not buttoned properly, his hair was a mess, and a thousand-yard stare. Across from him was a 30ish woman, and a couple of kids maybe 2 or 3. She was yapping away about her day, the kids were screeching at full volume. The mother reached across the table and took the dude's phone, and put it on some youtube video to shut the kids up. 15 seconds later one of the kids screams "NO!" grabs the phone and whips it clear across the restaurant.

What really stuck with me is the lack of expression on the guy's face. He was well beyond acceptance, or caring. This was his life now. His eyes slowly followed the phone through the air as it shattered upon impact with the floor. He stood up, walked across the room, gathered his phone, walked back and sat down like nothing had happened at all.

I'd decided on a child-free existence a long time before that, but I'd always had a sense of guilt about it. At that moment though, I was totally like "FUCK, I'm glad I don't have kids." and I think I wasn't the only person in the room thinking that.
Just one thing to say: that's their fault thry didn't teach the kid properly 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mistake

I don’t rule it out, but I’m not looking for it either. My answer is maybe. I’m actually great with kids, and I think they’re a lot of fun, but I haven’t found someone I could trust enough to make that kind of commitment. Not to mention my family has a history of divorce, so yeah

Heavy disagree. I'm an atheist. Having children is definitely not the objective meaning of life.
Cool then what is? Please enlighten us. From an atheist perspective, what is the objective meaning of life, since you have decided it is not to perpetuate the species? And give a real answer, not "whatever you want, man".

Last edited:

Aesius

This is definitely a fear of mine. But even then, it passes (usually). I have a 5-month-old but I also have friends with kids in middle school. It's crazy to look at their Facebooks and see pictures of them with their kids 12+ years ago when they were babies. I never gave it much thought other than "oh yeah, so and so has kids" but other than that, everything was the same when we hung out.

But now that I have a kid, I realize there was actually a massive gulf between us in terms of life experience. Because they had gone through the newborn stage, the infant stage, the toddler stage, the little kid stage, etc. So many small battles and headaches and stress from events like the one you witnessed, and of course, joy as well. Meanwhile, I was just being a carefree 20-something the entire time that they were raising children.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
No. I don't like kids. I'm a bit OCD and hate messes, and you can't have kids without messes. I like having free time and disposable income. And I don't really care about people or life or anything to be honest and I don't think it would be fair for either of us if I were to raise a child.

And yes, I've been snipped so hopefully there won't be any kids in my future.

Top Bottom