• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it make any sense? PS5 PRO

PeteBull

What to expect from PS5 PRO ??
Maybe a RTX 3070 performance, or more? maybe less?

What kind of improvements? Native 4K? 30 or 60fps? With Ray Tracing? Maybe Path Tracing??
Use search, many threads about ps5pr0 already, bro, tldr ps5 base is around rtx 2070s/2080 non super or bit weaker from 6700xt from amd, here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080.c3224
Dont look at teraflops coz in nvidia 30xx/40xx and amds 7xxx gpu series they got inflated, look at actual performance in games.

If ps5pr0 goes the way ps4 to ps4pr0 went we gonna get solid 2x increase in power, especially gpu power, there are some credible leaks saying it will be weaker tho.
So or so everything points out to launch in holidays 2024 which means latest by summer 2024 we will get tons of leakage from devs who will have to have access if not to real console then at least its devkits, till then we should wait patiently and not expect any official info, remember sony only presented/confirmed ps4pr0 3 months before its actual launch, which made perfect sense- since it will cut into base console sales.

Robb

Gold Member

giphy.gif

Imo, it still doesn’t make much sense to me unless we are getting 4K, 60fps and visuals at the absolute highest fidelity in every game with no compromises or excuses especially if it’s considerably more expensive than the PS5.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
Use search, many threads about ps5pr0 already, bro, tldr ps5 base is around rtx 2070s/2080 non super or bit weaker from 6700xt from amd, here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080.c3224
Dont look at teraflops coz in nvidia 30xx/40xx and amds 7xxx gpu series they got inflated, look at actual performance in games.

If ps5pr0 goes the way ps4 to ps4pr0 went we gonna get solid 2x increase in power, especially gpu power, there are some credible leaks saying it will be weaker tho.
So or so everything points out to launch in holidays 2024 which means latest by summer 2024 we will get tons of leakage from devs who will have to have access if not to real console then at least its devkits, till then we should wait patiently and not expect any official info, remember sony only presented/confirmed ps4pr0 3 months before its actual launch, which made perfect sense- since it will cut into base console sales.
PS5 is probably a RTX 2060 Super or 2070.
I hope for a RTX 3070 on the next console...

PeteBull

PS5 is probably a RTX 2060 Super or 2070.
I hope for a RTX 3070 on the next console...
Compare it in games that are lookers, recently alan wake 2, im not talking whats inside, hardware wise, coz we know it from official specs, im saying actual performance in games, what its comparable, vs multiplats(good devs, optimised games), u can check for example alan wake 2

U can find games where ps5 perform much worse, ofc, but thats pretty unfair, same reason u dont draw conclusions how strong base ps4 was from how GoW ran on pc hardware, normally it was around 750ti maybe oced 750ti equivalent, but ofc GoW on pc is straight port from ps4, aka close to 0 pc optimisation and brute forcing it, where oced 750ti runs in single fps digits at lower res/settings than ps4 ran it at.

Last edited:

Schmick

I've said this a few times in threads about the PS5 Pro. There's no point to have it if there isn't an upgrade to the CPU. In a time where games seem to be more CPU bound what performance increase would anyone expect if they don't upgrade. If the PS4 Pro is anything to go by, Sony only increased the clock speed.

HighPoly

Banned
Compare it in games that are lookers, recently alan wake 2, im not talking whats inside, hardware wise, coz we know it from official specs, im saying actual performance in games, what its comparable, vs multiplats(good devs, optimised games), u can check for example alan wake 2

U can find games where ps5 perform much worse, ofc, but thats pretty unfair, same reason u dont draw conclusions how strong base ps4 was from how GoW ran on pc hardware, normally it was around 750ti maybe oced 750ti equivalent, but ofc GoW on pc is straight port from ps4, aka close to 0 pc optimisation and brute forcing it, where oced 750ti runs in single fps digits at lower res/settings than ps4 ran it at.

My fear is if developers starts to make bad optimized games for PS5 Fat and Slim.

Imo, it still doesn’t make much sense to me unless we are getting 4K, 60fps and visuals at the absolute highest fidelity in every game with no compromises or excuses especially if it’s considerably more expensive than the PS5.
Don't worry, publishers and developers will make sure that you'll never get that. Every braindead hobbyist with UE5 can just bloat his work to the point where a 10K PC cant run it at stable 6 fps.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not really. It’s an AMD based system, so you’re still not going to get the more modern Nvidia PC features. It’ll just be higher frame rates in the games that bother to optimize for a separate sku.

PeteBull

here this vid confirms it, really wellthought btw, 770$ for pc equivalent to ps5, goes with 4060 which is 1% weaker from mentioned by me rtx 2080 ;)

Shifty1897

Maybe a RTX 3070 performance, or more? maybe less?

What kind of improvements? Native 4K? 30 or 60fps? With Ray Tracing? Maybe Path Tracing??
Your PS5 runs on an AMD chip. Throw ultra ray tracing / path tracing out the window and compare it to an AMD video card, not an NVIDIA one.

Last edited:

skit_data

Last edited:

PeteBull

So PS5 PRO equivalent to what kind of GPU ? :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_open_mouth:
We dont know yet, ppl will speculate but we cant be sure till we get leaks from devs who work on ps5pr0 versions of games, ofc we can estimate it will be probably 1,7 to 2x stronger from base ps5(not tlofps, actual performance in games), but we wont know till we see the real thing.

Xtib81

A safe bet is to expect resolution AND performance in the same mode, maybe with a bit of Ray tracing here and there, nothing more, nothing less.
Path tracing isn't happening until PS6 imo.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
We dont know yet, ppl will speculate but we cant be sure till we get leaks from devs who work on ps5pr0 versions of games, ofc we can estimate it will be probably 1,7 to 2x stronger from base ps5(not tlofps, actual performance in games), but we wont know till we see the real thing.
PS5 PRO much more like RTX 4070 or 4080 ? Is it possible or I didn't understand

Last edited:

Akuji

people comparing consoles to gpus. what tha fuck.

consoles are a closed system, that does bring benefits and problems / limitations. Its diffrent things. dont compare it to a gpu ...

Zathalus

In raster it should be around 3080 levels (+- 10%). RT is the big unknown, but AMD leapfrogging Nvidia in this respect is extremely unlikely.

TrebleShot

When thinking about the perf of these pro consoles its too simplistic to think it will be base level AMD hardware.

We all know AMD supplies the base GPU but sony then develops further hardware to accelerate specific aspects of the console such as the storage decompression block, their version of mesh shaders "geometry engine"? tempest for audio etc

My bet is yes well see a strong upgrade to the gpu from AMD but i would bet good money on sony having a bespoke version of RT upscaling and acceleration combined with that an AI upscaling of some kind developed by sony themselves.

So its pretty silly to go around comparing PS hardware to XYZ GPU when an equivalent does not exist, you can approximate but saying it will be like a 3070 etc assumes theres no bespoke hardware altercations from sony themselves when evidence points to it being g heavily customised.

Last edited:

PeteBull

PS5 PRO much more like RTX 4070 or 4080 ? Is it possible or I didn't understand
At least in pure raster i estimate ps5pr0 to be at or even above 4070, remember nvidia is much better at rt, and got their dlss and frame gen so cant really say its 4070 in every possible scenario/feature.

Justin9mm

A PS5 Pro wouldn't do anymore than allow more games to have 60+ fps option with higher res if you lucky. Devs still have to dev for base PS5. There's not going to be any magical improvements whatever Sony does. But ppl will buy it anyway expecting it to perform like it has a 4090 in it. All this talk about it doing native 4K with path tracing.. Fuckin lmao

Last edited:
If Sony is going to push fidelity with games locked at 30fps then maybe? If a pro can play those games at 60fps 2160, not even 4k, then that could very well make it worth it.

HighPoly

Banned
A PS5 Pro wouldn't do anymore than allow more games to have 60+ fps option with higher res if you lucky. Devs still have to dev for base PS5. There's not going to be any magical improvements whatever Sony does. But ppl will buy it anyway expecting it to perform like it has a 4090 in it. All this talk about it doing native 4K with path tracing.. Fuckin lmao
I don't have a PS5 anymore, so how much stronger the next console will be, better for me...
I only put all configs at Fidelity mode, and let's go!

Zathalus

When thinking about the perf of these pro consoles its too simplistic to think it will be base level AMD hardware.

We all know AMD supplies the base GPU but sony then develops further hardware to accelerate specific aspects of the console such as the storage decompression block, their version of mesh shaders "geometry engine"? tempest for audio etc

My bet is yes well see a strong upgrade to the gpu from AMD but i would bet good money on sony having a bespoke version of RT upscaling and acceleration combined with that an AI upscaling of some kind developed by sony themselves.

So its pretty silly to go around comparing PS hardware to XYZ GPU when an equivalent does not exist, you can approximate but saying it will be like a 3070 etc assumes theres no bespoke hardware altercations from sony themselves when evidence points to it being g heavily customised.
The idea that Sony can develop better hardware then AMD makes no sense to me. Nvidia, Intel, and AMD have the best chip designers in the world. Hence why both Sony and Microsoft went with AMD. Sure the chips are customized, but they are customized with features from AMD themselves.

The PS4 didn't have anything bespoke from Sony. It had a more async units compared to the PC GCN at the time, but those were AMD designed units, which the very next PC GCN GPUs had.

The PS5 has nothing in it (GPU wise) that isn't from AMD. The geometry engine is the exact same block that AMD introduced with the 5700XT. Primitive Shaders were first introduced in Vega.

The decompression block on the SOC is good engineering, but it's basically just a ASIC that Sony developed to do a single task (which it does very well).

The main advantage with the PS5 is the amazing to the metal API it has.

ShakenG

Dont care if it makes sense or not. If it comes, and it improves games we already have. Im day1.

Who doesn't want better resolution, more stable/higher frame rate.. ?
Some other visual tweaks?
People that want that will buy it and vice versa.

HighPoly

Banned
Dont care if it makes sense or not. If it comes, and it improves games we already have. Im day1.

that's it

HL3.exe

I personally dislike the mid gen refresh. It doesnt add any meaningful benefits, apart from higher fidelity visuals.

They're still stuck utilizing/supporting the previous CPU specs (the part where the actual game-logic and simulation complexity needs to run on).

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I won't be buying a pro unless it's significantly more powerful, otherwise, what's the point? Ain't buying a ps5 pro for some form of shitty ray tracing and an extra boost in speed..would literally have to be worth the cost.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I do, that's why I play on PC. I wouldn't count on developers upgrading their games to take advantage of PS5 Pro. That was one of the reasons why I switched to PC last get. I got a PS4 Pro thinking that games will get updated but that didn't happen.

I think the rumor is 7800XT level along with custom ray tracing hardware, which would be very good. I’m more worried about the price, size and heat.

Shifty1897

Don't know how likely it is it will be in a PS5 Pro but as far as I understand Sony does reasearch into RT on their own so I wouldn't count out they could incororporate their own solutions into it

My guess is something like 90% of all PS5 games that will ever come out for it will already be in development before the PS5 Pro comes out in late 2024. If Sony releases some kind of RT secret sauce in the future of the PS5 life cycle, not many developers are going to go back to their lighting solution to implement it. It definitely won't be as easy as "press button, get more traced rays".

Reactions: Fbh

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If the PS5 Pro's GPU isn't at least twice the performance of the PS5's GPU, then Sony is wasting everyone's time. However, that's quite a tall order because such a GPU would put it just a hair under the 7900 XT and above the 4070 Ti in raster so I'm guessing something equivalent to a 4070 Ti Super but I'm not sure if it's even feasible considering the insane 300W+ TDP of the 7900 XT. Even the 7800 XT has a TDP of 250W+. If we assume the PS5 Pro will be RDNA 3.5, benefit from a die shrink and likely better IPC, then it might be doable?

Something around the performance of a 7800 XT+ seems more likely talking strictly GPU performance.

here this vid confirms it, really wellthought btw, 770$ for pc equivalent to ps5, goes with 4060 which is 1% weaker from mentioned by me rtx 2080 ;)

A 5600 CPU and 4060 graphic card equivalent to PS5? Not even close i'd say, since you talked about Alan Wake 2, with FG on you should get better performance than with a 3070, and that was already 40-50% ahead of PS5.

A 3060 would be more comparable since rasterization wise it's close and it doesn't have as advanced technology as the 4060 does, tho it's still much better than PS5 RT and image upscaling wise.

As for consoles they are hardly comparable to Nvidia cards imo, i'd say the PS5 is a bit behind a 6700XT, and a PS5 Pro should aim for 6800XT numbers.

Native 4k? impossible for highly demanding next-gen games. Ray Tracing? It's still an AMD card, you can use some cheap RT but that's it, and obviously no PT at all there.

PS5 Pro's goal should be to improve the render resolution from the PS5's games versions, we're starting to see next-gen games that show annoying shimmering, artifacts etc even on the "Quality" mode, so maybe we could see a 60 FPS mode from Alan Wake that had an internal resolution similar to PS5's quality mode, and a 30 FPS mode that showed almost no shimmering or artifacts due to it having a high internal resolution.

SimTourist

Even doubling the GPU performance to 20 TFlops is not gonna do much, games that are 1080-1440p on PS5 will be 1600-1800p, probably less. Framerate a bit smoother. I dunno if it's worth it, hardware jumps are simply not that big these days despite what PCMR dudes try to claim.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i hope for dynamic 4k from 1440p , 60 fps with mid RT

I think its achieveable?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I read people saying that the PS4 pro was all about PSVR, that increasing specs this gen would be cost prohibitive, and the PS4 Pro wasn't widely embraced.

TBH, I thought that it was all over and I'm surprised that people are speculating on specs. Is the PS5 Pro expected to be coming to market?

ShakenG

I do, that's why I play on PC. I wouldn't count on developers upgrading their games to take advantage of PS5 Pro. That was one of the reasons why I switched to PC last get. I got a PS4 Pro thinking that games will get updated but that didn't happen.
I get that mate and that's fair. Cant deny the choices and benefits you have PC.
But speaking console gamer only (these days). Im still gona get whats available to make my experiences better.. we both know there a plenty of titles that use dynamic res or could smooth out the gameplay. Anything else for me would be a bonus.

Hell.. id buy it alone to help smooth out some hiccups on GT7, something that i play 99% of the time.

As for Pro updates last gen, i cant recall which games got them.. and didn't. But im sure most 1st party games would have received them?

Kerotan

The point is without it you will get more future games at 30fps or suffering drops below 60 or lower average resolution. The Idea is to give the standards high for those of us who care. I'll be there day 1 and it won't cost me much as I'll be selling my ps5 for a high price anyway.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
As for Pro updates last gen, i cant recall which games got them.. and didn't. But im sure most 1st party games would have received them?

No, and that what pissed me off. It was equally bad on PS4 and One X so I said fuck it and switched to PC. Third party was even worse. And I expect this trend to continue.

I think console manufacturers should have 'game preservation' divisions to handle this kind of stuff. We see individuals in their basements doing more work to preserve games (patches for Bloodborne, DriveClub etc.) than those big ass publishers...

ShakenG

No, and that what pissed me off. It was equally bad on PS4 and One X so I said fuck it and switched to PC. Third party was even worse. And I expect this trend to continue.

I think console manufacturers should have 'game preservation' divisions to handle this kind of stuff. We see individuals in their basements doing more work to preserve games (patches for Bloodborne, DriveClub etc.) than those big ass publishers...
Yes, i agree with the last part. I guess im willing to give it a second go taking into account that the Pro consoles last gen were a new idea and maybe this gen they'll pull it off better.

Top Bottom