• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it make any sense? PS5 PRO

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yes, i agree with the last part. I guess im willing to give it a second go taking into account that the Pro consoles last gen were a new idea and maybe this gen they'll pull it off better.

I wouldn't hold my breath, mate. Look at PSVR2 if you want to know how much they care. It's an absolute joke that it's not backwards compatible. I'm telling you, switching to PC was the best gaming decision I've ever made.

Time will tell.

skit_data

My guess is something like 90% of all PS5 games that will ever come out for it will already be in development before the PS5 Pro comes out in late 2024. If Sony releases some kind of RT secret sauce in the future of the PS5 life cycle, not many developers are going to go back to their lighting solution to implement it. It definitely won't be as easy as "press button, get more traced rays".
If they do it in the PS5 Pro if going I don't think that is the goal, most games have two graphical modes today.

I could see it being more about achieving 60fps in the resolution/ray tracing modes, not a brand new solution with extra everything on top that requires customizations built specifically for the PS5 Pro. Don't know how feasible that is, but that seems like an achievable goal.

Last edited:

PeteBull

A 5600 CPU and 4060 graphic card equivalent to PS5? Not even close i'd say, since you talked about Alan Wake 2, with FG on you should get better performance than with a 3070, and that was already 40-50% ahead of PS5.

A 3060 would be more comparable since rasterization wise it's close and it doesn't have as advanced technology as the 4060 does, tho it's still much better than PS5 RT and image upscaling wise.

As for consoles they are hardly comparable to Nvidia cards imo, i'd say the PS5 is a bit behind a 6700XT, and a PS5 Pro should aim for 6800XT numbers.

Native 4k? impossible for highly demanding next-gen games. Ray Tracing? It's still an AMD card, you can use some cheap RT but that's it, and obviously no PT at all there.

PS5 Pro's goal should be to improve the render resolution from the PS5's games versions, we're starting to see next-gen games that show annoying shimmering, artifacts etc even on the "Quality" mode, so maybe we could see a 60 FPS mode from Alan Wake that had an internal resolution similar to PS5's quality mode, and a 30 FPS mode that showed almost no shimmering or artifacts due to it having a high internal resolution.
Bro, check avg performance of 4060, its bit behind 6700xt just like u said, proof here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-4060.c4107
Ofc its not 1:1 vs nvidia cards, coz of feature set aka lack of dlss and frame gen, but talking pure rasterisation(so non raytracing) performance its very close, again not in hardware but in how many multiplat good looking games perform.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I read people saying that the PS4 pro was all about PSVR, that increasing specs this gen would be cost prohibitive, and the PS4 Pro wasn't widely embraced.

TBH, I thought that it was all over and I'm surprised that people are speculating on specs. Is the PS5 Pro expected to be coming to market?
Multiple sources claim that the pro is in development, if I not mistaken, the same ones that leaked the SLIM, so if we go by rumors it will launch at the end of 2024. Which would put it right in the middle of this gen. So makes sense.

I personally hope for a top of the line product that I can use for some time ... and I don't mind paying whatever they want, if sony is going all in on PC, the ps5/ps5pro are going probably to be my last consoles anyway.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No it doesn't. Am i waiting for it and will I buy it? of course.
Devs treat pc as budget pc. Just lowering the settings.

Look at Alan Wake 2 on ps5. Terrible performance, no reflections, worst grainy ssr that doesn't reflect anything, terrible fsr breakup. Just low-mid pc settings. crap.

Then look at TLOU part 1 on ps5. Quality mode is raw 4k and 35-45fps with custom lfc in vrr. feels great. Fantastic working mirrors and reflections without rt at all. Great SSR with 0 grain and super sharp cubemaps as fallback. Performance mode is very good looking 1440p and close to 90fps. No fsr break up at all compared to other titles. Custom techniques and great result.
But look at Hogwarts Legacy. 3rd party game and also amazing results. just at tlou part1. No break up. Surprisingly goo modes (40fps), no grain, no break up. Good performance.

Tlou part 1 and Hogwarts Legacy Easily rival mid-high prices PC and even win (no stutter) in some areas.
Alan Wake 2 is trash and wins on pc no quesitons asked. Devs didn't put half as much care in raster console version as in Path traced version on pc. ps5 pro is not going to help here.

6411717f-3f8b-4280-92da-a715a49c6a7f_text.gif

Top Bottom