• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM: The Dark Ages Will Have More Enemies, Larger Arenas, and Slower Action

Draugoth

Gold Member
doom-the-dark-ages-1-1536x864.jpg

DOOM: The Dark Ages creative director Hugo Martin has revealed that the game was designed as more of a direct successor to the original DOOM, rather than as a sequel to DOOM Eternal. In an interview with GamesRadar, Martin spoke about how playing DOOM: The Dark Age will be quite different from its direct predecessor.

One of the key factors when it comes to taking on demons in DOOM: The Dark Ages is the fact that the upcoming shooter places a larger emphasis on avoiding enemy projectiles than previous games, bringing it closer in spirit to the original DOOM. This means that enemy projectiles move slow, allowing players time to avoid getting hit as they try and close the distance.

“I noticed right away how slow those projectiles move – it just dawned on me that that is the maze,” said Martin, talking about how playing the original DOOM helped the studio design DOOM: The Dark Ages. “The movement is more horizontal as you weave your way between the projectiles, and every projectile mattered in the original DOOM.”

Martin went on to talk about how, while DOOM Eternal had an emphasis on verticality, DOOM: The Dark Ages will instead focus on giving players more enemies to kill in larger arenas. He likens the difference between playing the two games to switching from being an F22 fighter jet to an Abrams tank.

“If you were an F22 fighter jet in DOOM Eternal, this time around we wanted you to feel like an Abrams tank,” said Martin. “It means you’re more powerful and grounded. The combat system for new players – those who only got into DOOM with the reboot – I think with they are going to feel like this is a reimagined combat system. But for long-time fans of the series, people who played the original DOOM, you’ll see it’s really a return to form.”

Nice! I'm sure it will be as good as Eternal while feeling completely different.

The current team at ID understand combat mechanics better than any Dev in any other genre.

Astral Dog

Can they just please make a new fucking Quake?

I mean, yeah, looks cool. But Doom isn't the only IP id have...
tbh i was pretty sure they would wrap up the new DOOM after the Eternal DLC and move into something else

this 'prequel' comes out of nowhere and its a nice surprise i love DOOM 😈 the setting also looks pretty cool

Slower doesn't mean slow like Doom 3. We've already seen the trailer, should give you a good idea.

I dont know what it means yet and the trailer were just small slides over the environments and it felt very scripted/slow. I hope its not slow like that. I refuse to play anything less than Doom 2016. I dont care if its in a more open world. Doom Eternal had the perfect combat, cant believe they listened to the pussies.

He did the The Ancient Gods campaign for Eternal, so it would be fitting. Especially this going into the past.
It was him and David Levy who did the music, I hope David is back too. While I liked the more riff centric music Andrew did, David's style is more akin to Mick's with the industrial elements clearly present. And that industrial feeling is what a lot of people liked about the new Doom's soundtrack.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Cool. Will miss the speedy action of Eternal, but I trust in id and bet they know what they are doing here.

Can they just please make a new fucking Quake?

I mean, yeah, looks cool. But Doom isn't the only IP id have...
I'd bet 20 bucks this project was a Quake game until the suits decided to change it to DOOM because of marketing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was him and David Levy who did the music, I hope David is back too. While I liked the more riff centric music Andrew did, David's style is more akin to Mick's with the industrial elements clearly present. And that industrial feeling is what a lot of people liked about the new Doom's soundtrack.
I'm really digging the dual bass cadence in this one as well. A blend of the two would be power!

I'd bet 20 bucks this project was a Quake game until the suits decided to change it to DOOM because of marketing.
Or Hexen/Heretic. Setting and weapon combos oozed it off the rip to me.

Last edited:
I dont know what it means yet and the trailer were just small slides over the environments and it felt very scripted/slow. I hope its not slow like that. I refuse to play anything less than Doom 2016. I dont care if its in a more open world. Doom Eternal had the perfect combat, cant believe they listened to the pussies.
Then my suggestion would be to buy it on PC and mod the runspeed.

MiguelItUp

I figured the OST will be done by Andrew Hulshult and David Levy as they did the DLC for Eternal's OST.

I'm totally okay with the gameplay changing. As long as it feels more like 2016 than Eternal. I enjoyed Eternal, but I do not want platforming in a DOOM game ever again, lmao. I also want traditional deathmatch style multiplayer. Come on man, Quake Champions is on life support, can't use that excuse again like they did for Eternal.

Last edited:
Then my suggestion would be to buy it on PC and mod the runspeed.

I will play it on PC regardless of how it turns out but Im pissed. Doom Eternal wasnt just "speed". It was a rush of dopamine, a shooter where you genuinely had to think 5 seconds in advance, you couldnt just use one weapon and deal with it, no, it was a nightmare, an awesome nightmare and yes I can see why some ppl on gaf got turned off by that, because nowadays ppl dont like to think that much. Hopefully this is just marketing fluf for the casuals and the actual game will be fast paced/difficult.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

doom-the-dark-ages-1-1536x864.jpg

DOOM: The Dark Ages creative director Hugo Martin has revealed that the game was designed as more of a direct successor to the original DOOM, rather than as a sequel to DOOM Eternal. In an interview with GamesRadar, Martin spoke about how playing DOOM: The Dark Age will be quite different from its direct predecessor.

One of the key factors when it comes to taking on demons in DOOM: The Dark Ages is the fact that the upcoming shooter places a larger emphasis on avoiding enemy projectiles than previous games, bringing it closer in spirit to the original DOOM. This means that enemy projectiles move slow, allowing players time to avoid getting hit as they try and close the distance.

Martin went on to talk about how, while DOOM Eternal had an emphasis on verticality, DOOM: The Dark Ages will instead focus on giving players more enemies to kill in larger arenas. He likens the difference between playing the two games to switching from being an F22 fighter jet to an Abrams tank.
Oh Hell Yes! That’s what I wanted to hear. No more platformer nonsense.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Steve Brule What GIF

Go play the original man, it's a game everyone should try at least once. The Nightdive ports are sold for pennies, and is available on any console afaik.
I got the Doom reboot on Switch for the gyro cheap but never tried it. I don't mind fast stuff if I have gyro. I was getting some solid times in Neon White on Switch and that's even faster than Doom.

I will probably try some of these eventually. Never played anything Wolfenstein either.

I will play it on PC regardless of how it turns out but Im pissed. Doom Eternal wasnt just "speed". It was a rush of dopamine, a shooter where you genuinely had to think 5 seconds in advance, you couldnt just use one weapon and deal with it, no, it was a nightmare, an awesome nightmare and yes I can see why some ppl on gaf got turned off by that, because nowadays ppl dont like to think that much. Hopefully this is just marketing fluf for the casuals and the actual game will be fast paced.
I understand, but in fairness to this game the enemies seemed just as aggressive, the main difference is that Doomguy changed from something like Assassin/DPS class to Tank class.

That’s why I’m assuming if you mod the runspeed and don’t use the shield you would get a similar experience to what you’re wanting.

Top Bottom