• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former N.W.A. Manager suing almost everyone involved with Straight Outta Compton bio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

http://deadline.com/2015/10/straight-outta-compton-lawsuit-nwa-universal-ice-cube-dr-dre-jerry-heller-1201599366/

750x422

Based on past legal battles, everyone who knew anything about the history of N.W.A knew it was bound to happen once Straight Outta Compton came out in August, and today it has. In a breach of contract, copyright infringement and defamation lawsuit seeking $110 million in damages, former N.W.A manager Gerald Heller is going after NBCUniversal, director F. Gary Gray, Legendary Pictures, the screenwriters of Straight Outta Compton as well as Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, the estate of Eazy-E and the rest of the infamous gangsta rap group.

“The Film is littered with false statements that harm the reputation of Plaintiff and aim to ridicule and lower him in the opinion of the community and to deter third persons from associating or dealing with him,” says Heller's complaint

Heller was portrayed in the film by actor Paul Giamatti.

Toothless

Damn son.

I haven't seen the film, how was he portrayed?
He and Suge Knight were both portrayed as pretty much pure villains. Suge Knight got the worse of it, but both come off as awful human beings in the film. Can't say I blame him for suing

So Dre gonna give him a bit of AAPL stock and settle this? Man made money off these people for years and just won't give up.

Gotta love greed in America.

Mariolee

He and Suge Knight were both portrayed as pretty much pure villains. Suge Knight got the worse of it, but both come off as awful human beings in the film. Can't say I blame him for suing

After watching the film, it felt less like Jerry was a pure villain and more like someone who genuinely thought he could make things work and it simply just didn't. He still helped the group in the beginning and that whole scene where he defends them against the cop felt pretty humanizing. Definitely not the pure villain Suge was portrayed as.

Hatchtag

Banned
After watching the film, it felt less like Jerry was a pure villain and more like someone who genuinely thought he could make things work and it simply just didn't. He still helped the group in the beginning and that whole scene where he defends them against the cop felt pretty humanizing. Definitely not the pure villain Suge was portrayed as.

He ripped Eazy E off really, really badly and wanted to rip everyone else off too. He wanted to help the group out against racism and Suge Knight and not murdering people, but telling people to not murder people/not be racist/not hang out with Suge Knight are things anyone with a sense of decency does.

ezekial45

Banned
I thought he was portrayed pretty well in the movie. They did a good job of showing him as someone who sincerely wanted to help the group, but ended up getting too greedy and took more than his fair share. There was no way to make the last part into something tasteful, so they did well enough to humanize him for the bulk of the movie. Their failing out was one of the saddest and most heartfelt moments in the film, because you know he had genuine intentions.

But I guess since the movie was such a massive hit, he see another piece of the pie for the taking.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
He seems to be supporting the movie's side of things here, unintentionally.

Suge Knight was and is the fucking devil....though that scene where the random black guy shows up at Jerry's house in the middle of the night was fucking hilarious.

The movie just showed him as the guy who believed to be in the moral grey of the music business. He was greedy but not a villain.
Suge should be the only suing. Fuck Jerry.

I'm willing to believe that movie's portrayal of Suge after hearing years of stories about how he operates.

Sanjuro

He really wasn't portrayed that badly in the film.

Now when he was manager of Brian Wilson, holy shit what an asshole.

Chichikov

I see we got No Vaseline callbacks covered.
Carry on.

was he the white guy parodied in that video when cube was making fun of eazy?
Are you talking about Fuck wit Dre Day?
It's obviously a pisstake of him in that video, and I can't think of a cube clip he's parodied in.

So, if you're mad about being portrayed as s greedy, opportunistic piece of shit the first thing you do is sue everyone you can for 100 million dollars?

How is this not proving the movie's point

Juicy Bob

Having seen the film I can't say I'm surprised.

It's pretty much exactly in line with how Giammatti's portrayal of him would act.

mreddie

Too true. People always say ether and i disagree.

Caan he really sue on defamation of character grounds when its almost confirmed that alot of the stuff he did in the movie actually happened ?

If there's a case, judge might still throw it out.

Red Mage

So, if you're mad about being portrayed as s greedy, opportunistic piece of shit the first thing you do is sue everyone you can for 100 million dollars?

How is this not proving the movie's point

I know nothing of Jerry, and it sounds like he has a reputation for being that way, but I really don't like this line of reasoning. If someone is falsely accused/portrayed as greedy or selfish then they have no recourse. If they don't sue, people will say that this is proof, and if they do, then they are proving the portrayal as true.

I know nothing of Jerry, and it sounds like he has a reputation for being that way, but I really don't like this line of reasoning. If someone is falsely accused/portrayed as greedy or selfish then they have no recourse. If they don't sue, people will say that this is proof, and if they do, then they are proving the portrayal as true.

Let's be real here. It's not under dispute that Jerry did the things he did, because he did them. This has been aired out in public forums- on CDs, on MTV, on radio interviews, in magazines like rolling store or whatever for decades to anyone who cares to listen.

Do you really think that having your feelings hurt over allegations that have been in the public since the early nineties is worth 100 million dollars? what kind of damage is being done to jerry's business or reputation that hasn't been done a thousand times over? And over things he did, no less?

This is a naked cash grab, pure and simple.

Red Mage

Let's be real here. It's not under dispute that Jerry did the things he did, because he did them. This has been aired out in public forums- on CDs, on MTV, on radio interviews, in magazines like rolling store or whatever for decades to anyone who cares to listen.

Do you really think that having your feelings hurt over allegations that have been in the public since the early nineties is worth 100 million dollars? what kind of damage is being done to jerry's business or reputation that hasn't been done a thousand times over? And over things he did, no less?

This is a naked cash grab, pure and simple.

I'm not talking about Jerry, I'm talking about the reasoning used. The fact that it is well known and talked about is why no one should believe him, not because he is suing. Not trying to be nitpicky, just wanted to point out that the logic was faulty. Sorry if I went off topic a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom