• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former N.W.A. Manager suing almost everyone involved with Straight Outta Compton bio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh Jerry Heller was well known to be a greedy fuck waaaaaay before the movie came out. Sounds like a cash grab, which only further solidifies his portrayal.

Toothless

Not to open a huge can of worms, but Jerry is completely right to sue when Ice Cube, Easy-E, and Dr. Dre are portrayed as saints in a film when they were as bad as him in other regards. I enjoyed the movie, but come on, Jerry is right to sue.

Ashhong

Not to open a huge can of worms, but Jerry is completely right to sue when Ice Cube, Easy-E, and Dr. Dre are portrayed as saints in a film when they were as bad as him in other regards. I enjoyed the movie, but come on, Jerry is right to sue.

Does it really matter that NWA were portrayed a certain way? What matters is how Jerry is portrayed and only Jerry, at least in regards to a lawsuit.

What do you mean? That Ice Cube wrote homophobic and racist lyrics, Dre beat his wife(?) and Eazy E sold drugs?

Heller is hoping for a settlement here. No way anyone involved in this suit thinks it'll actually hold up in a court of law, should it get taken there.

Slayven

There is a show on CNBC called American Greed that has already done one on Lou Pearlman. His shady-ass-ness goes much deeper than we knew

Stealing money is one thing but Pearlman was assaulting them boys. The dude from Lite Funky Ones talked about it on Howard Stern

Sanjuro

Jerry Heller stays being a dick. Some shit never changes.

I kind of joked earlier, but honestly he doesn't come across as the villain overall in the film. Especially in comparison to Love and Mercy.

Suge was the only pure evil. Everyone else in Compton was more complicated to the viewer.

Acorn

I kind of joked earlier, but honestly he doesn't come across as the villain overall in the film. Especially in comparison to Love and Mercy.

Suge was the only pure evil. Everyone else in Compton was more complicated to the viewer.
Even if it was complimentary to him, he'd still sue. He's just that type of dude.

I'm not talking about Jerry, I'm talking about the reasoning used. The fact that it is well known and talked about is why no one should believe him, not because he is suing. Not trying to be nitpicky, just wanted to point out that the logic was faulty. Sorry if I went off topic a bit.

The logic isn't faulty because the comment wasn't made in a vacuum about a hypothetical individual. I made it knowing full well who that dude is, what his issue was with NWA *and* exactly how the movie portrayed him because I watched the entire thing.

Everyone involved has been painting him as an unethical manager who took advantage of the band to line his own pockets for decades.

Jerry waiting until the movie is a blockbuster to file a laughably huge lawsuit with little to no merit simply reinforces what's been said about the dude for years.

Take the "flawed argument" elsewhere, it doesn't apply here.

Sanjuro

Even if it was complimentary to him, he'd still sue. He's just that type of dude.

I'm just talking about the version of him in film. I didn't hate the guy in the version he portrayed. It could have been a fictionalized parallel between his actions and the #blacklivesmatter aspect. The only scene that makes him look bad is between him and Easy, and even then he is still conflicted.

Also this. The portrayal isn't THAT bad. It's implied that he took advantage of everyone regarding contracts, but didn't go into overt specifics or paint him as someone completely without remorse.

Suge Knight comes off WAY worse, but knowing that guys history and why he is where he is right now none of it really seems inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom