• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Dre to Release New Album as 'Straight Outta Compton' Soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

why even bother hoping?

Thanks god, only one song with Em.

we made it, xander!

Lmao, no MC Ren? Come on.

are they even cool? havent kept up with shit in years

Gonna be trash.

keepin expectations in check, i see you PDs

a Dr. Dre album, a Jurassic movie topping the box office, and Hulk Hogan turning heel? The 90s really are back.

woooooooooo~

IrishNinja

The saddest thing is Nate Dogg isn't around to be on a track or two.

was just sayin this in gafhop, but...i wanna hear the final result before i wish for that, you know?
i mean, RIP to a legend either way, but i know some would love to see a b-side of his on here...i'm gonna stay quietly grateful we didn't

jwhit28

With all of the ghostwriting stuff getting thrown around and this movie coming out at the same time, has anyone pointed out that Dre and E didn't write many if any lyrics for Straight Outta Compton?

With all of the ghostwriting stuff getting thrown around and this movie coming out at the same time, has anyone pointed out that Dre and E didn't write many if any lyrics for Straight Outta Compton?

It's been well known for years that Cube was the writer of the group. The trailers for this very movie even emphasise that. Eazy was the business man, Dre was the producer/musician and Cube was the writer (poet is how they put it). It's never been a very big deal, especially for Dre. It's common knowledge that he's had ghostwriters on all of his features.

jwhit28

It's been well known for years that Cube was the writer of the group. The trailers for this very movie even emphasise that. Eazy was the business man, Dre was the producer/musician and Cube was the writer (poet is how they put it). It's never been a very big deal, especially for Dre. It's common knowledge that he's had ghostwriters on all of his features.

I know. It just seems like a perfect storm for most of the rap fans who don't to realize it and make a big deal out of it. I mean if Drake having writers is enough to grab the spotlight in hip-hop what will happen when people see the movie and start the "it's okay if Dre does it" stuff?

I know. It just seems like a perfect storm for most of the rap fans who don't to realize it and make a big deal out of it. I mean if Drake having writers is enough to grab the spotlight in hip-hop what will happen when people see the movie and start the "it's okay if Dre does it" stuff?

if there is anything the last few days have taught us it's that the general public largely doesn't care if rappers have writers.

Einhander

I read somewhere years ago that Rakim couldn't handle the perfectionist and micromanaging by Dre so a whole Rakim album produced by Dre was scrapped.

Dre was putting pressure on him to make his album a gangsta rap album, and Rakim wasn't feeling that at all. That isn't Rakim, and never will be.

Fjordson

Only one Eminen feature is a good start.

No idea who some of those guys are so I dunno. Could be a good record. Kinda wish Kurupt had at least one appearance.

steveovig

Where the hell is D.O.C. and Ren? Not even on one track. It'll still be decent though, I bet. Has this been confirmed to be an iTunes exclusive for digital?

sdornan

So wait, he's calling it his "Grand Finale"

So this is the last thing he does then?
The video on the same Connect post was titled Countdown to Compton. Maybe he means grand finale as in the release of the movie?

EDIT: After watching the video, he does clearly say "MY grand finale."

Guys who are primarily known for their Production get a lot of leeway on that kind of thing because they specialize in another area of Hip Hop. Kanye is another guy who has a lot of co-writers on his stuff.

It's a bigger deal for dudes who are just rappers because that's the only thing they're bringing to the table. It's the equivalent of a Singer who is discovered to not actually be singing on any of their songs (Milli Vanilli).

A lot of the time """ghost writers""" are credited in the liner notes, even, which I believe is the case with both Drake and Dre. Collaborating with writers is something most performers do, in and out of hip hop. It's hardly ever a secret. I think the number of people who really care about it is actually pretty small, they're just kind of loud.

IrishNinja

wow he sure pulled out all the stops for his big exit from rap. Cold 187em AND Candice Pallay. phew.

TNfdWHc.gif

will go into this with an open mind and lots of weed . so I'm eager to hear what a full length album produced by Dr. Dre sounds like. the features don't look too shabby either so here's to hoping it'll be a quality project .

I'm actually surprised to see Anderson.Paak on this album. He's dope and has a lot of buzz in the So Cal scene but I would've thought he'd be a bit too under the radar for such a high profile project.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Only one Eminen feature is a good start.

No idea who some of those guys are so I dunno. Could be a good record. Kinda wish Kurupt had at least one appearance.

I don't know, Em's only good work lately is as a feature or on a track with Royce. I'd want more Em on here.

Looking forward to this album though.

Laws00

If this is a Dre album where are some of these West Coast artist at?

Granted I don't know like half of these people on the album but I would have liked to have seen:

Game
some Odd Future guys
YG
Kid Ink

and maybe have J.Cole, Wale and some other guys I don't even know

Show the next generation of rapper/Hiphop artist coming up or something

Hip Hop

Granted I don't know like half of these people on the album but I would have liked to have seen:

Game
some Odd Future guys
YG
Kid Ink

Game is in it. He is the main artist in Track 11, featuring other people. I guess Dre wanted to work closer to home, people that have been through it with him?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

Game
some Odd Future guys
YG
Kid Ink

and maybe have J.Cole, Wale and some other guys I don't even know

Show the next generation of rapper/Hiphop artist coming up or something

Odd Future can get fucked. Bunch of hipster rap kids who "don't even listen to rap". I don't want that new-school shit anywhere near this.

Courage

Dre does have a tendency putting on new rappers, but history shows that they usually suck. I have no faith, especially since now we know some young Eminem knockoff is getting 3 fucking features.

Ricky_R

Last thing I remember about Dre was his Ja Rule diss in what I believe was a featuring he did on Obie Trice's first album called Cheers.

It was cool.

sugarman

Been waiting so long for this, it's a weird feeling. I have faith it will be good, some of those detox leaks were incredible.

No one considers Dre a great rapper, it's an entirely different situation. Dre is a producer first, his rhymes are secondary. If a rapper wants to be viewed as one of the greats he has to write his own rhymes. Dre gets a pass pass because he's barely even viewed as a rapper. Whereas Drake wants to be seen as one of the greats while using ghostwriters. Nope.

Tracklist sucks as expected...if havent liked anything he s done since 2001 anyways.
The leaked tracks that were supposed to be for detox were horrible too.

RC

Banned
So is this just a rebranded Detox?

Doesn't matter, Dr. Dre hasn't had a good album since the original Chronic.
The Chronic 2001 was the most overated album of the 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom