• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRINKY vs MAF : Ultimate Bargin Bin SHIT GAME Challenge

Belfast

My friend and I thought this was a good idea and we've been really bored lately, so why not? He lurks here under the name discohiro. Anyway, we went down to our local used video game shop and set some ground rules: This gen, no sports, $10 or less.

Unfortunately, you'd be surprised how many shitty games are still more than $10 used. So, the bastard ended up getting me Charlies Angels for Gamecube. :(

And, yes, I got him Pryzym. I had to see the pain myself AND it was within budget range.

Like Drinky/MAF we have to play these games to completion. Let the pain begin!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Belfast said:
My friend and I thought this was a good idea and we've been really bored lately, so why not? He lurks here under the name discohiro. Anyway, we went down to our local used video game shop and set some ground rules: This gen, no sports, $10 or less.

Unfortunately, you'd be surprised how many shitty games are still more than $10 used. So, the bastard ended up getting me Charlies Angels for Gamecube. :(

And, yes, I got him Pryzym. I had to see the pain myself AND it was within budget range.

That's awesome!! :lol. I wish I had a gaming buddy that would actually get in on this. I would do it in a second.

I wonder how long it's gonna take before this gets annouced on Attack of the Show?

Red Scarlet

Belfast said:

:lol :lol Good show, Bel. gogogo

Ikaris

BarneyBP said:
I vote for Scaler

gc000287.jpg

He's got attitude.

Actually Scaler STARTED as a low-priced game, to compete with Jak and Ratchet, since Take 2 didn't spend a dime on marketing it.

I should know... I worked on it.

It actually sold over 150,000 units, according to all of the NPD totalled up on all SKUs... not bad for not a penny spent on marketing.

That's actually almost half of the number of copies God of War sold... it's a multi-SKU mass-market game versus a single-SKU gamer's game so I suppose that's normal.

I wouldn't mind if they picked it to play and wrote a day by day account, I'd like to read it from the perspective of the gamer...

however, I don't want to dissapoint, but it was voted IGN's runner up to platformer of the year:

http://bestof.ign.com/2004/ps2/6.html

and got decent reviews... better reviews that a lot of games.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/915047.asp?q=scaler

The "not a penny on marketing" includes not paying off streetwalkers to fellate the reviewers at Gamespot.

I'm afraid to say I don't think it can trump some of the other games listed here in terms of badness... it's not a AAA title, but I think there are worse games for this exercise :)

sonarrat said:
Mediocre, but not terrible. I don't think either Drinky or MAF would be sufficiently tortured by Scaler.

Thanks for your support sonarrat :)

As I said, not terrible, but not great either.

We did out best with the time we had (6 months) and our budget (almost nothing) on seven SKUs (NTSC PS2, PAL PS2, NTSC GCN, PAL GCN, NTSC XBOX, PAL XBOX, etc...)

Rorschach

Red Scarlet said:
So how did the actual purchase go, Bel? Did you explain to the cashier what you were doing?
"It's not for me...it's for a friend! No, really!"

"What kind of person would do that to his 'friend?'"

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
To whoever recommended Run Like Hell, that's playable at the very least, so that would be a bad choice (I should know, I had to review it).

Go with mine!

image6586.jpg

Dr_Cogent

Banned
What the max price for a "bargain bin" game anyway?

If it's 20 dollars - get Spidey 2! It's not the greatest game, but the web slinging is second to none.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Dr_Cogent said:
What the max price for a "bargain bin" game anyway?

If it's 20 dollars - get Spidey 2! It's not the greatest game, but the web slinging is second to none.

You appear to be missing the point.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Does it have to be this gen? Cause if it includes last gen you gotta pick up Superman 64.

Tarazet

DarienA said:
Does it have to be this gen? Cause if it includes last gen you gotta pick up Superman 64.

One of the rules is "no licensed crap." That's the definition of licensed crap.

Ikaris said:
Actually Scaler STARTED as a low-priced game, to compete with Jak and Ratchet, since Take 2 didn't spend a dime on marketing it.

I should know... I worked on it.

It actually sold over 150,000 units, according to all of the NPD totalled up on all SKUs... not bad for not a penny spent on marketing.

That's actually almost half of the number of copies God of War sold... it's a multi-SKU mass-market game versus a single-SKU gamer's game so I suppose that's normal.

I wouldn't mind if they picked it to play and wrote a day by day account, I'd like to read it from the perspective of the gamer...

however, I don't want to dissapoint, but it was voted IGN's runner up to platformer of the year:

http://bestof.ign.com/2004/ps2/6.html

and got decent reviews... better reviews that a lot of games.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpag...47.asp?q=scaler

The "not a penny on marketing" includes not paying off streetwalkers to fellate the reviewers at Gamespot.

I'm afraid to say I don't think it can trump some of the other games listed here in terms of badness... it's not a AAA title, but I think there are worse games for this exercise :)

Cool, thanks for the info. I thought it could have been a lot worse given its price-point, but some things (like the almost completely non-interactive environment) really betrayed its low budget. But it's sure better than Blinx.

Belfast

Red Scarlet said:
So how did the actual purchase go, Bel? Did you explain to the cashier what you were doing?

Well, my friend was there, purchasing my game, too. Plus, I was gigg....laughing maniacally the entire time I was paying for my purchase. I think the guy *might've* suspected something, but I never explicitly told him.

THE RULES, AGAIN:

$10 shelf price or less.

No licensed or sports games (too easy).

Can't be a game the other person has played.

I'm confining my choices to PS2 and Xbox.

Tarazet

Drinky Crow said:
THE RULES, AGAIN:

$10 shelf price or less.

Can't be a game the other person has played.

Where are you going to buy the games?

Tarazet

Then they're probably going to be launch-window-vintage used games rather than newer titles. Maybe one of those From Software PS2 launch titles, like Evergrace, would do.

Brannon

Drinky Crow said:
DJ Brannon, Comp USA still offers a free (albeit dusty sixpack) of BAWLS GUARANA high energy beverage free with any purchase of Run Like Hell -- that right there makes it better than Pryzm!

Now see I did not know this; I though the BAWLS was just an ingame gimmick. But if that's the case then well damn, at least it gives you something for all the suffering you go through to play it. Time to revise my choice...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Drinky Crow said:
Damn and I was just about to suggest KnightRider2.

Few recommendations for PS2:
- Mercedes World Racing
- Love Smash Tennis
- Anna Kournikova Climax Tennis
- Agassi "something" Tennis

I strongly recommend Love Smash - it's got 2minute load times(every time you start a match) which makes it extremely painful experience to beat, even before you get to watching the half-naked mutated replica of DOA women in lowres at 20fps perform weird poses and scream in super high pitched voices at every shot.

Alternatively you could go for this
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-IHRA_Drag_Racing_2
Even just moving your car off the starting grid requires special skill in this game...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Oh crap :| I didn't realize there was no sport rule also... here's for effects of caffeine :\

Ok in that case I know the perfect game Doug will be absolutely thrilled to play.
Harvest Moon PS2 :D

demi said:
I dunno if this was directed at me, but I haven't. I'd like to check it out, however.

I definitely think you should check Galleon out. I took the plunge and got it for 15 dolla new at EB (get it cheaper used), and so far it's pretty good. I've only started out but it's really fun gameplay wise and seems to have the makings of an epic story. The graphics aren't as good as say, Advent Rising ;) (seeing as it was initially developed for DC) but the production values (voice overs, art style, etc) are great.

Back on topic, my bargain bin nominations:

Riven (Myst sequel) - not because it's bad, but because it will probably frustrate you :)

Metal Dungeon - Very bland in my opinion, I just couldn't keep playing after an hour.

and last but not least,

Stake: Fortune Fighters - You must try this game just to feel the pure suck

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I really need to pick up Scaler eventually... just waiting until I can find the GameCube version for $9.99.

Have either of you fine gentlemen played Blowout yet?

KINGMOKU

Ponn01 said:
If you can go old school. Superman 64.
This has to be the purchase. I would love to hear about Drinky smashing his own face in with a bat, after trying to get Superman to fly through the rings on the first stage.

What a bunch of sick twisted fucks, the developers must be.

Or this flaming chunk of crap;

1.jpg
Smashing Drive. Oh dear god the pain.

O MY GOD. I'm dying here. In a review of Superman64, by ign, check this line out;

As far as storyline goes, straight from the game's instruction booklet we are informed that, "Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen have disappeared -- they've been kidnapped by the malevolent powers of Lex Luthor and Braniac, who have brought them into a virtual reality version of Metropolis." Not exactly an epic tale, but it sure beats Titus' previous explanation for the game's graphic flaws -- namely that a thick screen of fog present in the title was in fact "Kryptonite fog" deployed by Lex Luthor himself to destroy Superman.

Right.

Imagine if all developers explained their game's visual limitations in storyline. "No, no -- those are not jumpy framerates you are seeing. Superman is merely drunk, which also blurs his vision considerably." :lol

"Once airborne, controlling the Man of Steel is a whole other adventure altogether. Strangely, he seems to be neither faster than a speeding bullet nor more powerful than a locomotive http://ign64.ign.com/articles/151/151957p1.html

mosaic

go eat paint
Smashing Drive is terrible, but it's also brief. Aside from getting one lyric stuck in your head, it won't be traumatizing enough.

"Loosen up your diapers, Gets your caps turning, Step on it, step on it, step on it..."

Belfast

MrAngryFace said:
Itll be abit before I update, still havent left the house haha. Nursing my Coffee.

Are you using a faq?

No, but in the "bonus" section they allow you to unlock intros for each level. It indicates there's only 6 (though there are technically 12, since each level is broken up into two "missions"), with perhaps a 7th "boss" level.

edit: BTW, this game is so shitty there ARE no FAQs. :(

Not like you'd need it. The game sucks in so many ways, but it forces you into a linear path (i.e. even if you should be able to go around in a perfectly open area, there are "invisible walls" all over the place. If you go too far ahead, more invisble walls will pop up behind you and you can't go back. Plus, they'll have places were enemies will try to "ambush you" except they show the enemies in their pre-attack positions in the background since the game hasn't allowed you to proceed to that area yet. And the hit detection in this game fucking SUCKS. Jump attacks are completely worthless because they take two seconds to initiate, in which time, the enemies will hit and stun you. Attempting to throw (though, mysteriously, you cannot use this move in the first two levels) lands so rarely, its just not worth it.

I have to LOL at the completely generic names of the enemies who all have the same fighting style. Fighting various metrosexual baddies with names like "Ken" and "John" and "Adam" is just ridiculous. What's even more crazy are the random WEIRD names thrown in there like "Zender" and "Nevada." I feel like I'm beating down the cast of the OC!

Also, the plot = Some bad guy stealing monuments from around the world. Broderbund should sue!!!!

Ikaris

It's too bad you don't want sports games... I don't like sports games either, mind you.

SeanBaby's review of RapJam Volume One contains this classic line that will forever be funny to me:

One amazing feature is that you can have multiple versions of the same rapper on your team. Which means that you can finally create the fantasy basketball dream team of two Coolios and one Queen Latifah.

OR...

Graphics: 2/10
Queen Latifah looks like a 130 pound Mexican boy, and Coolio looks like that boy's white girlfriend. That's especially inexcusable because how hard is it to make a graphic look like Coolio? You draw a guy and then draw a black octopus on his head. Six year olds could draw you a picture of Coolio.

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm14.htm

Any of those games on SeanBaby's list are awesome... and a really funny read too !

Top Bottom