• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge - Features Trailer | PS5 (launches on January 26 for $199.99)

noise36

Sony is the Apple of the gaming world, can sell anything for any price.

I mean they literally jacked up the prices of the consoles after launch and mostly only sell them in overpriced bundles here in Australia. i.e. Amazon HFW bundle is $894 AUD

But then again the Amazon AU xbox series x sold out and the Ps5 HFW bundles havnt so maybe I have just disproved my own argument.

Last edited:

EDMIX

omgz, I can't believe this, but Sony already has a PS5 controller? You mean to tell me they'd make a more powerful sku for money as an option?

but why? Don't we all already own PS5 controllers? Damn...if only we had some way to figure out WHY a company would release a product for...hmmmmmmm

thinking-kid.gif

confused-thinking.gif

/s

but shit, some of you really believe they won't make some PS5 Pro or SeriesXXXTENTACION?

This thing ready for that PS5 Pro pack in lol

dotnotbot

Sony are out of control with pricing this gen.

£209 for a controller, my god...

£699 for PSVR2 I'm calling it now.

By selling this controller they want to earn as high profit as possible.
By selling VR they want as big user base as they can gather so they can earn as high profit as possible on selling VR games.
So comparing pricing on these 2 doesn't make any sense.

omgz, I can't believe this, but Sony already has a PS5 controller? You mean to tell me they'd make a more powerful sku for money as an option?

but why? Don't we all already own PS5 controllers? Damn...if only we had some way to figure out WHY a company would release a product for...hmmmmmmm

thinking-kid.gif

confused-thinking.gif

/s

but shit, some of you really believe they won't make some PS5 Pro or SeriesXXXTENTACION?

This thing ready for that PS5 Pro pack in lol
We're definitely getting a PS5 Pro for £700+

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Does anyone else have hand cramps while using the DualSense?
Seriously, never felt that before with a controller. It's very uncomfortable.
It's from gripping it too tight. Not a joke. I noticed I was being too firm on it myself, and palm part of the thumb would get sore (mainly the left hand)... once I relaxed a bit, it was never an issue. Some of those races can be intense in GT7 and then there was Returnal as well, lol.

cormack12

Gold Member
Whoa, I was expecting like 169.99 in UK.

That's a shit price. It's only £10 cheaper than the scuf and I won't have to wait 4 months to get one (assuming no scalpers again). I'm probably gonna bite on the scuf now because of that price and I can't wait four months with a dodgy left trigger :(

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
We're definitely getting a PS5 Pro for £700+
100% would buy pro versions of current consoles even to play cross gen games on and 100% buying at least one of these new controllers

What dictates if Sony/MS will make a pro version of the console and the pricing on this controller is if people will buy them and I bet these new controllers stay sold out for quite awhile

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office
Season 5 Yes GIF by Paramount+

Topher

Gold Member
Whoa, I was expecting like 169.99 in UK.

That's a shit price. It's only £10 cheaper than the scuf and I won't have to wait 4 months to get one (assuming no scalpers again). I'm probably gonna bite on the scuf now because of that price and I can't wait four months with a dodgy left trigger :(

I looked up the price of an Xbox Elite Series 2 in UK and it was 159. Why is DS Edge so much more expensive in UK?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I looked up the price of an Xbox Elite Series 2 in UK and it was 159. Why is DS Edge so much more expensive in UK?
🤷‍♂️

Elite Core is brand new too, and only came with an RRP of £114.

Sony are pushing it IMO, hate to be the meme master, but smells of launch PS3 era the current pricing strategy.

No, that price is beyond ridiculous. A few additional buttons and customisation doesn’t justify £209.99. Having doubts that the VR headset will be a reasonable amount of money with the shit they’re pulling recently.

the_master

I am very disappointed that has not even one innovation from the elite controller, seems that they have just coppied it, but with 2 less buttons on the back.
What a lost opportunity. They should have also doubled down on haptics and feedback

cormack12

Gold Member
No idea. Probably because the UK is fucked all over right now sadly. The only alternative is the scuf really. Scufs are good but the DS edge has trigger stops and the modular thumbsticks.

I guess Sony's stance is if you can pay £220 for a 3rd party controller as an alternative then you can spend the same on a 1st party controller with the same features. I guess it's fair, it's just a shock as the 3rd party premium filled a gap. First party support should really drive down competition or fuel more innovation for the premium, not compete with it imo.

Apparently the Queen kept a lid on Sony's prices.

GenericUser

They try to sell you this piece of shit for 200 bucks, won't include hall effect sensor sticks AND are already advertising "replaceable sticks". Sony got some nerves man. I remember when sony sold back paddles for like 30 bucks for the DS4. Greedy!

jaysius

Banned
Does anyone else have hand cramps while using the DualSense?
Seriously, never felt that before with a controller. It's very uncomfortable.
It's because of the fucked up weight distribution, most of the weight is in the top area with the triggers instead of properly balanced, also all that rumbling and trigger force can fatigue your hands in ways you don't directly notice adding to this discomfort. Some people on here also mention the way the controller curves down there is a slight lip on the plastic edges making that uncomfortable, there are multiple sources here.

After playing on my friend's PS5 for a long time I find the weight distribution of the controller really makes it less than ideal for very long sessions.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

Well we @Europe are really getting screwed, especially the balkans and lower income countries since the euro has fallen so much and the inflation.. keeps inflating.

Hopefully this nonsense stops.

EDIT: At least it's a completely optional and luxurious option.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
My goodness, when have these controllers become so expensive?!?!

I remember the time when a Xbox pad was no more than 50 Bucks. And that was considered a premium controller.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I would have expected 100-120$ for a premium controller but double of that... First world problem i guess. You still need 10x edges dual senses to buy a single 4090 so... :messenger_anguished:

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Does it have a bigger battery? I'd love to have a controller with a 2months battery life!
Probably not, if it did that would be a feature if they're featuring a little piece of plastic to lock the usb cable in place, they would 100% brag about battery life as a feature.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My goodness, when have these controllers become so expensive?!?!

I remember the time when a Xbox pad was no more than 50 Bucks. And that was considered a premium controller.
The BOM on these controllers is still $20-30 max. It's just plastic. An entire switch costs $199 and it sells for a profit.

It's just corporate greed. They realized that there is a huge market for premium stuff that rich consumers would pay top dollar for. They can price this $499 and people will buy it. See the Apple ear pods. $250 for headphones. You can buy similar wireless headphones for $25.

the_master

DualSense already has those innovations. Elite Series 2 is lacking in that regard.
I does not matter. My comment was not about which controller is better. Just about the lack of innovation in this step. They just took each feature of the elite controller, one by one, even the braided cable and the case…. It disappoints me.

Sure the ither original features are genius and I love them. Kudos for that, but keep it up

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Wait until you see the price of the PSVR2 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well it's an upcoming premium accessory. That's what this controller is. If they are charging £210 for a controller then it makes people wonder how much they will charge for a headset.

🤷‍♂️

Elite Core is brand new too, and only came with an RRP of £114.

Sony are pushing it IMO, hate to be the meme master, but smells of launch PS3 era the current pricing strategy.
Q3I1plC.jpg

larry david snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Topher

Gold Member
I does not matter. My comment was not about which controller is better. Just about the lack of innovation in this step. They just took each feature of the elite controller, one by one, even the braided cable and the case…. It disappoints me.

Sure the ither original features are genius and I love them. Kudos for that, but keep it up

For me, DualSense is the most innovative controller in quite some time, but Elite Series 2 remains my favorite to use. This is those two having a baby. I'm not disappointed at all.

Top Bottom