• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s $200 DualSense Edge for PS5 will have ‘moderately shorter’ battery life

SLB1904

Banned
Just stop already. Lol

You went straight from...

"I don't think buying two controllers is a problem."

To

"Hell the thought of spending a dime more than the controller price (for batteries) is a no no still."

At this point AA battery companies should be contacting you for advertising purposes. That's how awful your argument is.
That fuck you talking?
Who only owns one controller? No one does. Having 2 controllers or even more is standard since the dawn of time.
Imagine simping AA batteries just because your favorite company is cheap as fuck

Yup. And if a battery pack fails, just buy another one. They are $30 cdn. So probably $20-25 US. If a gamepad with a built in battery starts to die, have fun buying a new controller for $70 US/$95 cdn.

Ya, $95 cdn. They increased the price lately. Series X gamepads are $75 cdn.

I never had any batteries from my dualshock controllers dying Ever. And buy the time eventually die the controller will probably cost £10. But I guess I'll never know.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But the battery life is already horrible. That’s amazing. Who is buying this??
Blake Shelton Nbc GIF by The Voice

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That fuck you talking?
Who only owns one controller? No one does. Having 2 controllers or even more is standard since the dawn of time.
Imagine simping AA batteries just because your favorite company is cheap as fuck
So what youre saying is paying $200 US for a deluxe controller with worse battery life than the standard controller is ok because everyone will buy two of them and hot swap.

Wow. I dont buy Elite/Edge controllers. But I never knew every person who buys these high end game pads always buys two to cover themselves.

lol

SLB1904

Banned
So what youre saying is paying $200 US for a deluxe controller with worse battery life than the standard controller is ok because everyone will buy two of them and hot swap.

Wow. I dont buy Elite/Edge controllers. But I never knew every person who buys these high end game pads always buys two to cover themselves.

lol
This isnt for broke people. If you don't have enough money and you are blowing £200 on a controller you are yourself to blame. It's like buying a bugatti and complaint about the price of the tires 🙄

If you follow the conversation you will see that I mentioned I wouldn't spend more than £100 on a controller

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That fuck you talking?

I never had any batteries from my dualshock controllers dying Ever. And buy the time eventually die the controller will probably cost £10. But I guess I'll never know.
So you only buy one gamepad, but are trying to defend this crappy battery life Edge controller by saying people always buy two anyway.

I know you are trying to defend the fort, but c'mon bud. Defending a higher costing pro gamepad with worse battery life than the standard controller is sad.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This isnt for broke people. If you don't have enough money and you are blowing £200 on a controller you are yourself to blame. It's like buying a bugatti and complaint about the price of the tires 🙄

If you follow the conversation you will see that I mentioned I wouldn't spend more than £100 on a controller
Buying a Bugatti and pricey replacement tires isnt the same as buying two Bugattis at once. lol

Swift_Star

Banned
The DualSense isn't ergonomic, with all the shitty gimmicks they've jammed into it, it feels HEAVIER than a Series controller even though it isn't. It's because they shit the bed on the weight balance, putting it into the front. The plastic unfinished edges don't even feel good in the hand.

Also saying a long battery life is some kind of waste makes you a fucking clown of a Sony apologist.
Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

Terrible hot take.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
So you only buy one gamepad, but are trying to defend this crappy battery life Edge controller by saying people always buy two anyway.

I know you are trying to defend the fort, but c'mon bud. Defending a higher costing pro gamepad with worse battery life than the standard controller is sad.
Dude. I'm literally telling in my post that I don't think is worth the price... if I had a income that I was comfortable paying for 2 without sweat I would lol.

Some people have enough money to buy like its pennies. This is a over expensive product. If you are complaining about the price its because isn't for you.

Buying a Bugatti and pricey replacement tires isnt the same as buying two Bugattis at once. lol
Can you recharge the tires of the bugatti?
Hypothetically if was possible. People would definitely buy another one lol.
But anyway, that's not my point of the arguments.

The pont was sometimes you pay for what you get.
If Sony wanted they could have 24h battery life on this thing but it would cost you a liver and a heart. So there is that.
I'm happy with my dualsenses.

Last edited:

Crayon

Dude the dual sense battery is barely good enough. And that's 2 years in while they're still pretty new. I imagine in another two or three years they'll be getting very annoying like the DS4 did.

They really need to make the batteries on these things more easily replaceable. I would want a compartment right on the back with a little room for generic batteries of a little different shape. I can dream.

Warablo

They should maybe think about normal batteries because their other controllers battery life is already trash.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They really need to make the batteries on these things more easily replaceable. I would want a compartment right on the back with a little room for generic batteries of a little different shape. I can dream.
Options are always good.

Problem is when you give options, it means external batteries or rechargeable battery packs can be third party. Sony doesn't make AA batteries, and if rechargeable packs were allowed you'd have all kinds of third party makers making them along with Sony (similar to MS).

So revenue will get cut when it's time to replace the battery. With the current situation, a dying DS battery means someone will buy another controller, in which most people buy first party. Sony wants to hoard this revenue.

Last edited:

Crayon

Options are always good.

Problem is when you give options, it means external batteries or rechargeable battery packs can be third party. Sony doesn't make AA batteries, and if rechargeable packs were allowed you'd have all kinds of third party makers making them along with Sony (similar to MS).

So revenue will get cut when it's time to replace the battery. With the current situation, a dying DS battery means someone will buy another controller, in which most people buy first party. Sony wants to hoard this revenue.

Selling more controllers is definitely in the equation. Those little batteries with the jic connectors are every bit as generic/standard as aa's tho. And they'd be as (almost,probably want to close that with a screw) easy to change if you could get to them without taking the whole thing apart.

Third parties could market ones as dual sense replacements but batteries like that are all over eBay and even in higher capacities. The fact is you can change them now but it's just enough work/just intimidating enough that hardly anyone will bother.

When I think about it though, I crack controllers open all the time so I already get to change mine. I guess I wish it was easier for everyone else.

lol
I even replaced the batteries of my two Dualsenses because I think 1560mah is a joke. Now I'm playing with power(2600mah)😉

It's not acceptable to release a pro controller at this price with shorter battery life. They should increase the capacity to atleast 2600mah.

Last edited:

Traxtech

Lame, guess im modding a 2800 MAH battery into this fucker too.

Bigger battery, let us change the function buttons to ACTUAL BUTTONS AND NOT PROFILES and an extra 2 paddles would have been fricken amazing. Im currently using the 4 button extremerates with the changable sticks and was contemplating doing the hair trigger mod, but then you completely loose the adaptive triggers which sucks. Cant have it all i guess

Last edited:
The DualSense isn't ergonomic, with all the shitty gimmicks they've jammed into it, it feels HEAVIER than a Series controller even though it isn't. It's because they shit the bed on the weight balance, putting it into the front. The plastic unfinished edges don't even feel good in the hand.

Also saying a long battery life is some kind of waste makes you a fucking clown of a Sony apologist.
It's the best controller ever made what are you on about.

G9MspVD.gif

How long do you guys get out of your controllers? I average about ten hours with a low battery warning of course. That's with all my features left on like the haptic feedback.

Last edited:

Beechos

Eh sure its disappointing since the dual sense battery life is already not great to begin with. I have so many powerbanks due to cell phones that i just keep one near my controllers with a long usb cable for an emergency.

Rac3r

They could've avoided the backlash if they just slightly increased the battery capacity to 2000 mAh, and added a controller energy saver setting in the game base (which turns off haptics, trigger response, etc). Prob could've marketed it as 12-15 hours (in energy mode).

The PS3 Sixaxis and Dualshock 3 controllers got like 20-30 hours on a single charge which was awesome, but the controller itself sucked. Now we have an awesome controller with terrible battery life.

I had a preorder in for this but I think I'll cancel and wait to see what reviewers say about battery performance and how easily the controller can be taken apart to swap the battery (if needed in the future).

Tams

I haven’t looked at the capacity of the battery but just thought it was Sony choosing a tiny battery to save a penny.

Elite 2 and Switch Pro controllers last 30 hours plus.
I think it's that the DualSense is a chonker. Batteries aren't exactly light for what they offer, and any heavier and the DualSense would quickly become uncomfortable to use.

Much heavier and you have to add something like the Wii U Gamepad. But even with that, they designed it for a larger battery, but had to go with a smaller one as it was too heavy for lots of people (personally, I went with the bigger battery). And people still complained about the weight.

Last edited:

Tams

What the….

I’ve had my PS5 for 3 days now and already hate the battery life of the controller. And this one is even shorter?

Bro. Sony needs to invest in some Eneloops.

Eneloops would be great, but only for the convenience of swapping them in. Panasonic make great batteries, but at the end of the day all good batteries use the same chemistry.

sainraja

Might as well just made it wired. I never unplug my dualsense anymore, battery life is shocking.
You can buy a charging station where you don't have to worry unless you are literally playing from day to night. Not ideal I know for that type of situation but it is something.

Last edited:
They could've avoided the backlash if they just slightly increased the battery capacity to 2000 mAh,

2000mah??

2600 should be the minimum at this price tag.

You can easily buy replacement batteries starting with 2600 going up to 2650-2700.

I even found batteries with 2800mah/4000mah.

Sony is ripping off people.

Esca

I'll be waiting for another revision of this controller. Hopefully with 4 back paddles a better battery and if I'm lucky in purple lol

or, and this sounds crazy...
They just add the back buttons into the dualsense to begin with so we don't have to deal with this attachement, pro shit
the industry's been flirting with the idea for 10 years now yet we still haven't fully standardized them when they could massively improve the quality of life

Thats because scuf owns the patents.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
2000mah??

2600 should be the minimum at this price tag.

You can easily buy replacement batteries starting with 2600 going up to 2650-2700.

I even found batteries with 2800mah/4000mah.

Sony is ripping off people.

Tell you what, this is one case where having the option to also use replaceable batteries really comes in handy.

I bought a cheap $12 4-pack of 2100maH batteries with my xbox in 2020, 2 in the controller, 2 in the charger. Replacement takes 10 seconds and I've never had to have the controller plugged into a wire or USB or anything at all when gaming.

consoul

Meh. I mean it makes sense that a device with more functions uses more energy, but what exactly does 'moderately shorter' mean? If the difference was less than 10%, I wouldn't care or probably even notice.

We need some independent testing to see what the difference is in real world usage.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
In before everyone saying it’s a ripoff. (Which seems to be).

This controller is going to be on sale after the first week! There’s no way people will buy this thing at $200. It should be $100 at most!
I dunno seems a lot of people have bought this thing

In the end $200 for a controller I have been wanting from Sony is nothing

Hell when we go out to South Beach a steak costs more

Tell you what, this is one case where having the option to also use replaceable batteries really comes in handy.

I bought a cheap $12 4-pack of 2100maH batteries with my xbox in 2020, 2 in the controller, 2 in the charger. Replacement takes 10 seconds and I've never had to have the controller plugged into a wire or USB or anything at all when gaming.
I don't need replaceable batteries. The included battery in the Dualsense are that easy to replace anybody can do It in under five minutes.

Last edited:
So for $200, they couldn’t or maybe didn’t care enough to figure out how to make the already short battery life better? Nice.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I dunno. I never plug it in the PS5.

I use an old Samsung phone charger and probably 6ft cable. I also have two DS, but I never wait for it to charge.

That fuck you talking?
You're that fuck apparently... and a silly one at that I might add.
Who only owns one controller? No one does.
Well for starters. People that don't throw their controllers while throwing a conniption fit or people who don't habitually eat cheetos. Ya know... Adults.
Having 2 controllers or even more is standard since the dawn of time.
If it was standard, consoles would come with 2 controllers.
Imagine simping AA batteries just because your favorite company is cheap as fuck.
You argue like a spoiled kid that screams at his mom, and calls her a bitch because her credit card is maxed out from repeated V-Buck purchases. You obviously don't see the complete lack of logic in your argument. Advocating that the piss poor internal batteries that Sony uses are superior to AA, because it requires you to buy an extra controller instead of 2 extra batteries.

I tried to help you not look like a complete idiot, but you were insistent on doing so anyway. Well you succeeded there kid. Now go slap momma's ass, and go tuck yourself in. Because it's past your bedtime champ.

Top Bottom