• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s $200 DualSense Edge for PS5 will have ‘moderately shorter’ battery life

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is part of the plan for people to buy 2 🤦
Idea Volunteer GIF

Elios83

And people wanted batteries in the PSVR2 👀

You can also buy two...right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously it's obviously a disappointing note but reading previews they also have a lot to offer (the dead zones/sensitivity profiles on the analog sticks are really cool).
I doubt they'll have a big market at the launch price anyway, this is targeted towards pro/competitive gamers who are probably so concerned about latency that they end up using it wired anyway.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is retarded. For $200 the controller should have a really good battery. The Elite S2 lasts around 40 hours on a charge, mine has well over 4000 hours of play time on it since it bought it at launch and it still lasts 40 hours playing games where the rumble motors never stop going. I put it in it's case once a week to charge or when the orange light comes on which means I only have about five hours left, or about the battery like of my DS4.

Ideally they'd have gone with AA/pack options (I prefer Eneloops to internal batteries) but if they're committed to an internal battery for whatever reason having a sub-10 hour charge is nuts.

Battery life is measured in cycles. You have a certain amount of charge cycles before the battery becomes unusable. The more times you charge your battery the sooner it will stop taking a charge.

A battery that needs to be charged once a week will survive a lot longer than one that needs a daily charge.

PlayStation engineers simply allocated limited resources in a much smarter way. They knew the following...

- Almost no one plays longer than an 8 hour duration. Even 8 hours is excessive. So there's severe diminishing returns giving their controller the ability to play longer than that. Smart.

- A battery that needs to be charged once per week will last longer than a battery that needs to be charged every day. But PlayStation looked at the metrics and knew that most users never have battery issues. The fact that the XBox controller can last 15+ years is needlessly excessive.

- The #1 controller complaint is stick drift, not battery life. The DualSense Edge mostly fixes drift with replaceable stick modules. Smart.

- PlayStation took the excessive waste and used those resources on superior rumble, trigger resistance, and a built in mic on every controller. It represents an entirely new generation of controllers, of which it stands by itself. Smart.

I can see players who spend 40 hours a week playing believing the PS5 controller is inferior, but that's just .05% of the population. 100% of the population can appreciate all of the DualSenses advantages.

Don't listen to DeepEnigma DeepEnigma . He is not a perfect poster (still excellent) and I am indeed a true believer.

Last edited:

Forsete

Gold Member
Never managed to drain the battery of my DS. I have never even got the promt to charge it (assuming there is one). When I turn off the console I see the battery status in the menu bar, if the controller is at one bar I plug it in. USB standby power FTW!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Never managed to drain the battery of my DS. I have never even got the promt to charge it (assuming there is one). When I turn off the console I see the battery status in the menu bar, if the controller is at one bar I plug it in. USB standby power FTW!
It does prompt you when the battery is low. You can get a good hour or two or more out of it when low as well, depending on the game.

SLB1904

Banned
For an enthusiast forum, some sure are casual when it comes to controllers. In both controller amounts owned and upcharge kits.

But with that said, $400 to hot swap?
gtfo-pauliewalnuts.gif
I mean if you are willing to spend that on a controller. I don't think buying 2 is a problem. I for one would never spend more than £100 on any controller. So there is that. But using AA batteries in these age and time? Fuck no. Ky xbox controller is wired. Would not waste any money on batteries that I know I will lose anyway. Hell the thought of spending a dime more than the controller price is a no no still

Last edited:
For $200 I expect it to come with a pocket pussy attachment, not have the lowest battery capacity of every official controller on the market.

For Christ's sake my decade old Eneloops that I bought for my Xbone controller still give me 40 hours.

jaysius

Banned
Doesn't matter how hard you guys try. AA battery is trash and shouldn't be in the conversation.
You're so wrong.

Using AA batteries allows for batter packs, like the one mentioned here made by Xbox itself which I've had for 5-6 years and STILL gives me 20-30 hours of gameplay on a single charge.

I mean if you are willing to spend that on a controller. I don't think buying 2 is a problem. I for one would never spend more than £100 on any controller. So there is that. But using AA batteries in these age and time? Fuck no. Ky xbox controller is wired. Would not waste any money on batteries that I know I will lose anyway. Hell the thought of spending a dime more than the controller price is a no no still
Just stop already. Lol

You went straight from...

"I don't think buying two controllers is a problem."

To

"Hell the thought of spending a dime more than the controller price (for batteries) is a no no still."

At this point AA battery companies should be contacting you for advertising purposes. That's how awful your argument is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're so wrong.

Using AA batteries allows for batter packs, like the one mentioned here made by Xbox itself which I've had for 5-6 years and STILL gives me 20-30 hours of gameplay on a single charge.
Yup. And if a battery pack fails, just buy another one. They are $30 cdn. So probably $20-25 US. If a gamepad with a built in battery starts to die, have fun buying a new controller for $70 US/$95 cdn.

Ya, $95 cdn. They increased the price lately. Series X gamepads are $75 cdn.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just stop already. Lol

You went straight from...

"I don't think buying two controllers is a problem."

To

"Hell the thought of spending a dime more than the controller price (for batteries) is a no no still."

At this point AA battery companies should be contacting you for advertising purposes. That's how awful your argument is.
Give him credit. The first and only time you'll ever hear someone support buying two $200 Elite controllers for sake of low battery swapping.

lol

ahtlas7

Entitled clods, thinking you should have longer battery life in your $200 controller. You make me ill to my gaming finger. Think of Jimbos profit margins prior to posting next time. Poor guy is running a biznez.

Battery life is meh for me at this point with their charger. Put in easily swappable sticks that won't drift along with four back buttons and suddenly that price point is starting to look decent.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They should just sell a back button attachment like they did on PS4.
or, and this sounds crazy...
They just add the back buttons into the dualsense to begin with so we don't have to deal with this attachement, pro shit
the industry's been flirting with the idea for 10 years now yet we still haven't fully standardized them when they could massively improve the quality of life

Woggleman

They just add the back buttons into the dualsense to begin with so we don't have to deal with this attachement, pro shit
the industry's been flirting with the idea for 10 years now yet we still haven't fully standardized them when they could massively improve the quality of life
If they were added to the regular controllers then how would they sell edge and elite controllers?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If they were added to the regular controllers then how would they sell edge and elite controllers?
more interesting, innovative features that aren't the same back button trigger stop stuff we've seen over and over
ability to swap positions of the thumb sticks, d-pad and face buttons are a start

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
jfc bro no need to make it personal, youve never even met this guy
It's not personal. I am just joking around.

Anyway... Tere are good opinions and bad opinions.
Facts and opinions.
This is a fact that internal battery is limiting options. not an opinion.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That would be ideal, sure.

What a joke...

Sony engineers :
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF
The engineers have absolutely nothing to do with which battery is to be installed. This is decided by the management and the price calculation. If people are stupid enough to accept less battery capacity for the higher price, It's their own fault.
tVc9e6O.gif

Last edited:

Shifty1897

How tf could it possibly have worse battery life than the existing PS5 controller?
Remember back when PS3 controllers' batteries would outlive your dog?

gothmog

Gold Member
Do people not have a battery sitting around they use to charge while playing? I've been basically doing that so I have no interruptions while gaming for a few years now. Also helps with charging wireless headsets as well while playing. That's just the reality of devices with sealed batteries. I mean the alternative is to use rechargeables but you have to power it down to swap them which sucks while playing anything multiplayer.

MacReady13

In this day and age of mobile phones we have 1 major selling point- bigger and better battery life. Then Sony comes along and says FUCK YOU! We will charge you more for less battery life for a wireless controller!?! No way Sony...

K' Dash

Do people not have a battery sitting around they use to charge while playing? I've been basically doing that so I have no interruptions while gaming for a few years now. Also helps with charging wireless headsets as well while playing. That's just the reality of devices with sealed batteries. I mean the alternative is to use rechargeables but you have to power it down to swap them which sucks while playing anything multiplayer.

if they're this useless with this issue they should just let us buy AA batteries and be done with it, a pair of Eneloops usually lasts me close to a month and I always have the next batch charged and ready to go.

I love the dualsense but how can they fuck this up 3 times in a row?

gothmog

Gold Member
if they're this useless with this issue they should just let us buy AA batteries and be done with it, a pair of Eneloops usually lasts me close to a month and I always have the next batch charged and ready to go.

I love the dualsense but how can they fuck this up 3 times in a row?
Because batteries require you to turn off the controller, swap them out, and then turn them back on? Having a battery that can be charged while in use is superior. Even better would be a larger battery. Even better than that would be a battery that is large, can be charged while in use, and swapped out. Best of all worlds. But that's not where we are at.

Top Bottom