• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s $200 DualSense Edge for PS5 will have ‘moderately shorter’ battery life

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Who only owns one controller? No one does.
giphy.gif

Banned
lol, all my Dualsense controllers are basically wired controllers already, so I wonder how this one can have even worse battery life.

GenericUser

People shit on xbox controllers aa batteries but they are the best thing about the controller still use My xbox one rechargeable batteries and they still last more than 25 hours before I need to recharge.
I turned off the backlight of the Xbox button and turned rumble off as well and I get like 40 to 50 hours of battery life. I use enerloop pro btw. Whenever I switch to the Dualsense it feels like the battery runs out in minutes so I use it wired more or less all the time.

drotahorror

I turned off the backlight of the Xbox button and turned rumble off as well and I get like 40 to 50 hours of battery life. I use enerloop pro btw. Whenever I switch to the Dualsense it feels like the battery runs out in minutes so I use it wired more or less all the time.

Didn't know that about xbox controllers. At one point I bought these blackout stickers specifically for to block out the bright ass light coming from it. I see MS has implemented a night mode to let you dim or turn off the controller and console LED.

A far cry from what Sony allows you to do. One thing Sony should really look into is that loud beep the PS5 makes when turning it on. It's ear piercing in the dead of night.

SpokkX

My 2 Dualsense controllers last just over 4 hours - which is beyond bad. They often run out of battery during a single gaming session (and I put them on a charger every time)

LESS than that? That is not even usable

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I don't know how Microsoft does it with their Elite. I swear I have charged it 3 times in a year and a half.
PS5 Dualsense... weekly.

I game 2 3 hours everyday and I have never ever charged my aa batteries before a week on series x controller when it says low battery it still gives me 4 5 hours of battery , also these are the same aa batteries I bought with my one x

It costs more than most controllers, but can only be used less?

Two hours?

Honestly, I never saw the point in the premium controllers, but this one is the biggest headscratcher.

Synless

I game 2 3 hours everyday and I have never ever charged my aa batteries before a week on series x controller when it says low battery it still gives me 4 5 hours of battery , also these are the same aa batteries I bought with my one x
Did you just buy that thing? They last roughly 40 hours give or take. My eneloop rechargeable ones are somewhere between 25-30 hours.

Sonys battery life sucks hard though. This one sucks even worse.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's weird how Sony controllers always have such awful battery life. Never had this problem with Switch (Joycon or Pro Controller) Quest 2 controllers (those things have absolutely ridiculous battery life), etc. Sure, the DualSense packs more tech, but the DS4 and DS3 were just as bad.

Fox Mulder

The horrible battery life on Sony controllers has to be intentional. Like they think it highlights all the packed features or encourages you to buy multiple to have charged.

Last edited:

Tams

2000mah??

2600 should be the minimum at this price tag.

You can easily buy replacement batteries starting with 2600 going up to 2650-2700.

I even found batteries with 2800mah/4000mah.

Sony is ripping off people.

Be careful stating that stuff. Batteries are rife with scams. Part of that is the natural variability of the technology/chemistry, but much of it is just lies.

Tams

So for $200, they couldn’t or maybe didn’t care enough to figure out how to make the already short battery life better? Nice.

You can't just magic better battery life in there with more money.

Battery chemistry has barely changed or improved for years. So a bigger battery would be mean more weight. So Sony could have stripped features to reduce weight elsewhere, but that would be stripping features.

I doubt there's much left that can be made lighter without just removing it.

FFS, I wish people like you would use even a modicum of common sense.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Battery chemistry has barely changed or improved for years. So a bigger battery would be mean more weight. So Sony could have stripped features to reduce weight elsewhere, but that would be stripping features.

The controller is going from $70 to $200. Pretty sure they got room to spare for a better battery with the extra $130 adding a bit more weight. I dont think the average gamer using any standard game pad on consoles is already borderlining they are too heavy to begin with.

How often in better cellphones do the newer models get worse batteries?

Last edited:

I’m aware more features means more strain on the battery and batteries haven’t exactly evolved much, but for the average consumer, noticeably less battery life on a $200 controller is still disappointing no matter how you slice it. Unfortunately, most consumers don’t care about science or logic, they just know they are spending a premium price on a product and one of the main issues on the last peripheral is even worst now apparently. It’s probably not a significant deal in the end because USB cables exist, but I don’t think most were expecting that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’m aware more features means more strain on the battery and batteries haven’t exactly evolved much, but for the average consumer, noticeably less battery life on a $200 controller is still disappointing no matter how you slice it. Unfortunately, most consumers don’t care about science or logic, they just know they are spending a premium price on a product and one of the main issues on the last peripheral is even worst now apparently. It’s probably not a significant deal in the end because USB cables exist, but I don’t think most were expecting that.
Somehow every cellphone maker on Earth has figured out how to make new phones with better batteries even though the new phone is more powerful.

Pretty disappointed in this. I understand why the battery life would suffer: they kept the same form factor as the dual sense, and that controller was packed with tech as it is. The compromise was battery life, controller shape/size, or features. Sony chose to sacrifice some battery life, and that was probably the easy choice for the engineers.

I would have much preferred dropping the features taking up all that space, but then again the perfect PS5 controller for me would be a DS4 with the DualSense edge paddles, trigger stops, customization/profiles, and better battery life.

Tams

Somehow every cellphone maker on Earth has figured out how to make new phones with better batteries even though the new phone is more powerful.

They haven't.

They've been putting in larger batteries and more efficient SoCs (and to a lesser degree other electronic components). Some software tweaks in some cases here and there.

That is literally it. The batteries are still lithium ion and identical.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They haven't.

They've been putting in larger batteries and more efficient SoCs (and to a lesser degree other electronic components). Some software tweaks in some cases here and there.

That is literally it. The batteries are still lithium ion and identical.
Thats my point. Better batteries can also means bigger ones so it keeps up. And going by your post, better SOC and software tweaks.

It looks like Sony is using the same battery(?) as the regular controller and the battery life during gaming drops because the rest of the features eat up power. They probably did zero improvements SOC and software adjustments too to improve battery life.

The fact Sony stated "moderately" isn't a good sign. The term is subjective to everyone's interpretation of it, but it doesn't sound small like 5% less.

Tams

Thats my point. Better batteries can also means bigger ones so it keeps up. And going by your post, better SOC and software tweaks.

It looks like Sony is using the same battery(?) as the regular controller and the battery life during gaming drops because the rest of the features eat up power. They probably did zero improvements SOC and software adjustments too to improve battery life.

The fact Sony stated "moderately" isn't a good sign. The term is subjective to everyone's interpretation of it, but it doesn't sound small like 5% less.

You're comparing a relatively 'dumb' device to a full computer. There's simply a lot less that can be optimised.

I wouldn't even call the electronics in a controller a 'SoC', a microcontroller at best. And there's really not anything to improve power draw wise there.

So, as you're talking big, where is your evidence that Sony could have made the controller more power efficient without removing features?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're comparing a relatively 'dumb' device to a full computer. There's simply a lot less that can be optimised.

I wouldn't even call the electronics in a controller a 'SoC', a microcontroller at best. And there's really not anything to improve power draw wise there.

So, as you're talking big, where is your evidence that Sony could have made the controller more power efficient without removing features?
Put in a bigger battery like cell phones do. You're the one who brought up SOC and software tweaks Not me.

Youre telling me going from $70 to $200, its impossible to find a way to improve battery life?

Last edited:
Put in a bigger battery like cell phones do. You're the one who brought up SOC and software tweaks Not me.

Youre telling me going from $70 to $200, its impossible to find a way to improve battery life?

Where you gonna put a bigger battery? If you take a regular DS apart theres hardly any empty space in there. DS edge was designed to be as close to regular DS as possible so that means even less space in between the shells since DS Edge got more internal components than regular DS.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Where you gonna put a bigger battery? If you take a regular DS apart theres hardly any empty space in there. DS edge was designed to be as close to regular DS as possible so that means even less space in between the shells since DS Edge got more internal components than regular DS.
Then make the game pad a bit bigger.

Problem is Sony cheaped out. It seems the game pad is trying to be as same size as the standard controller (similar to what you said). So when it gets torn down, a website is probably going to say it has the exact same battery in there too.

If there's an Edge 2 with even more features will the battery life get even shorter than Edge 1 if they retain the same shape? If so, that's not good design.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Battery life is already garbage. Why is it so difficult to have a controller like the Switch Pro Controller? I charge that thing like once a week.

Problem is Sony cheaped out. It seems the game pad is trying to be as same size as the standard controller (similar to what you said). So when it gets torn down, a website is probably going to say it has the exact same battery in there too.

If there's an Edge 2 with even more features will the battery life get even shorter than Edge 1 if they retain the same shape? If so, that's not good design.

Making the pad bigger would have been against their design goal. What are you not understanding about that?

They already said they carefully considered the additional features against battery life. This is probably why there are only 2 back buttons.

Tams

1. Most people don't seem to want it to be bigger. Not everyone has big hands.
2. Another issue is the weight. The DualSense is already porky and batteries aren't exactly light.

You're doing the typical 'why can't the boffins work this out?!' Please stop, you're making yourself look silly.

Dafuq? I changed the batteries of both my Dualsenses with batteries from the brand Paxo or whatever they are called, same fucking size. Sony battery: 1560 mAh, Paxo 2600 mAh. Sony is just cheap, that is coming from someone who only owned Sony consoles. No need to defend every shit for them.

Changing the batteries is easy and I highly recommend doing so btw.
If I can get the new Edge cheap somewhere in the future I will get one and change the battery again.

Last edited:

Muay Ninja

That's unfortunate. Everyone praises internal batteries but i'm still happy with batteries/rechargable batteries/battery packs until they figure out how to get longer life out of this stuff.

This.

I like the DualSense controller but the one big advantage Xbox controllers have over it is that I can use my own rechargeable batteries and easily replace them when they die.

Tams

Dafuq? I changed the batteries of both my Dualsenses with batteries from the brand Paxo or whatever they are called, same fucking size. Sony battery: 1560 mAh, Paxo 2600 mAh. Sony is just cheap, that is coming from someone who only owned Sony consoles. No need to defend every shit for them.

Changing the batteries is easy and I highly recommend doing so btw.
If I can get the new Edge cheap somewhere in the future I will get one and change the battery again.
Have you actually measured the Paxo batteries' capacities?

If it's some alphabet soup Chinese brand, it's almost guaranteed that the written capacity is a lie. If they are the same size as the original batteries, then they absolutely are lying.

Have you actually measured the Paxo batteries' capacities?

If it's some alphabet soup Chinese brand, it's almost guaranteed that the written capacity is a lie. If they are the same size as the original batteries, then they absolutely are lying.
I have bought and installed those since the PS4. They absolutely lengthen the battery life. Without I played like maximum 3-4 hours? With them I can go for like 8 or more hours. It's my experience, I don't have to measure anything.

Complete nonsense.

Original shitty battery with 1560mah has a weight of 32gram.

Improved awesome Paxo battery with 2600 mah has a weight of 42 gram with the same dimensions.

So we have here an 66% battery improvement at the same dimensions with just 10 gram increase.

You tell me Sony can't do It???
TEq2PjY.gif

Paxo batteries are from a german company and the batteries are made in china with german quality control and a five year warranty. 🥴🤦‍♂️

Please stop. You are clueless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom