• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales reboot coming 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

How about before these new episodes come out, they release that last DVD set we're missing? I've been waiting for years.

Does anyone else still have the movie? I have it on VHS, never saw it on DVD though.

It just recently got reissued on DVD, I got it at a Best Buy for like $9.

Reboot the entire 90s Disney Afternoon and extended shows.

Gummi Bears
DuckTales
Talespin
Darkwing Duck
Chip & Dales Rescue Rangers
Goof Troop
Gargoyles

DO IT.
but keep their 90s theme songs!

We haven't seen cartoons on their level since.

Include a rebooted Aladdin series and I'd be down for it!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think they choose this way to keep Donald out of the series because "animated Donald" is usually just a lazy guy quick to lose his temper. A bidimensional comedy character.
In Barks stories (and in European comics in general) he's pretty much "Everyman", with a wide range of emotions, and a balanced list of flaws and qualities. Not an unrealistic Perfect guy (that's Mickey), but much more interesting and "real" than the one depicted in cartoons.

Right (and that's why only Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Wolverine are bigger comic book characters than Donald Duck worldwide. In fact, if you take out the US, I'm pretty sure that Donald is #1).

Donald is bigger than Mickey, and king in Europe. I think Scrooge and Daisy are bigger in South America, but Donald is still big there, and the face of the Disney Ducks.

The only time Donald became bigger than Mickey in NA was probably during the WW2 propaganda era

Tagg9

Incredible news! In my estimation, DuckTales is just about the greatest animated series ever made.

If Disney uses CG instead of traditional 2D animation, I will fucking kill Lasseter. Of course, it seems like chances aren't good considering the current slate of shows on Disney XD. IIRC, the original series had a budget of about ~$200k per episode, which is equivalent to ~$350k today. I can't see them spending that much money on it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The new show's likely called Ducktales because that's what most audiences know any McDuck content as.

Looks like they're sticking to the Ducktales framework of characters. This is good in the sense that Gyro and others aren't sacrificed, but also is unclear whether the 80s show's formula will be copied or expanded. While I prefer, say, the less individualized Beagles, I suppose the Ducktales ones set a precedent. Hopefully Gladstone will also get more appearances. Let's hope it eschews from the more sitcom tendencies of the 80s series. No Bubba mentioned, so that's good. Of course, the biggest obstacle to adaptation is reconciling the differences in Comic-Donald with Animation-Donald.

At least they're acknowledging Barks' existence, which probably means a mix of original stories and Barks stories left unadapted by the first series. Rosa is a long shot, but could happen. Thankfully the last couple years have been good for duck comics' availability.

Incredible news! In my estimation, DuckTales is just about the greatest animated series ever made.

If Disney uses CG instead of traditional 2D animation, I will fucking kill Lasseter. Of course, it seems like chances aren't good considering the current slate of shows on Disney XD. IIRC, the original series had a budget of about ~$200k per episode, which is equivalent to ~$350k today. I can't see them spending that much money on it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Gravity Falls shows that they still can do 2D. I hope they go that way.

picsou_by_tohad-d6xbkzj.jpg

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Gummi Bears
DuckTales
Talespin
Darkwing Duck
Goof Troop
Gargoyles

DO IT.

I'm down those were some of the best cartoons growing up , and basically have timeless themes for every generation.

Man i think Gargolyes could do awesome with some OVA's how do you get tired of hearing Keith Davids voice?

RobotVM

I am very interested in a reboot because as a kid I watched the hell of this show. Now I want my kids to watch it. I just hope they don't screw it up.

Tizoc

iT'S A good thing I wasn't drinking when I read this cuz I would've spat my drink out.

Hopefully it'll be a good show but Scrooge's VA is quite old now, so they might get someone else to do Scrooge's voice.
Regardless...dare I ask for adaptations of Don Rosa's stories?

Wow! Never expected them to do this, but the DuckTales video game remake must have pleased the higher ups enough.

Speaking of what style they'll use, maybe they'll go with Paul Rudish's style of the recent Mickey Mouse shorts considering Scrooge and Gyro recently had cameos.

Epic season long adaptation of "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck"? Maybe? Maybe?

I do hope they include Donald in the stories more. Reading the Carl Barks and Don Rosa comics, Donald really did add a ton to the stories, and the DuckTales-original characters simply could not replace him.

Perhaps we might even get a South African Glomgold instead of having him be inexplicably also Scottish.

terrisus

The new series will follow Scrooge McDuck, his curious and mischief-making grandnephews — Huey, Dewey and Louie — and the optimistic yet temperamental Donald Duck as they embark on high-flying adventures worldwide. Other beloved characters slated to be in the new stories are: Duckworth, Gyro Gearloose, Launchpad McQuack, Flintheart Glomgold, Magica DeSpell & Poe, Ma Beagle and the Beagle Boys (Burger Beagle, Bouncer Beagle), Mrs. Beakley and Webbigail Vanderquack.

Alright, I'm interested.

Speaking of what style they'll use, maybe they'll go with Paul Rudish's style of the recent Mickey Mouse shorts considering Scrooge and Gyro recently had cameos.

Ick, that looks terrible.

Remove Webby. Such a useless addition. If you need girl power just use Daisy.

As said before just make adaptations of the comics (especially Barks+Rosa) and you got a winner.

Because someone believes they have more stories worth telling? If it was anyone other than Disney, I'd be skeptical. I don't think Disney would fuck up the legacies of those franchises, so let them do their thing.

My thinking is more along the lines of they can't think up anything new so they fall back to old popular franchises. Same could be said for movies.

It's just that I really loved this show growing up and a reboot, nine times out of ten, isn't good and I hate seeing the legacy tarnished.

This.

Why is everything being rebooted these days?

There actually is a ton left to adapt in this case though. I really hope that the route they go for is more comic adaptations.

Can you imagine the series starting out with an adaptation of Don Rosa's "The Son of the Sun"? It'd be the perfect reintroduction, a classic story of Scrooge and Glomgold racing to find a treasure, and a good way to introduce the idea of Donald joining in on the adventures regularly.

Wouldn't be shocked if recording has already begun, so I wouldn't rule out Alan Young. Obviously with Donald in a more lead-man role instead of guest spots as Seaman Donald, I think we're more likely to see some relatively faithful comic adaptations.

But why are people calling this a "reboot"? There's nothing in the PR that implies it's ignoring the old show, "starting from scratch," or even doing much of anything different from it other than giving Donald more presence. It's probably in their best interest to keep relatively consistent with the old show because (I expect) WayForward has the second NES remake in the pipeline for ~2017 release and they'll want that synergy. Also, hopefully a *complete* DVD or BD release of the old show....

Come to think of it, it could be nice if the series had 15-minute episodes, as long as they were still willing to do multi-parters with four or more episodes (equivalent to two or more episodes of the original). This would allow them to adapt the shorter comics. I'd love to see, say, the Don Rosa story where Magica has a pair of magical plates that people can reach through.

Phyranion

Gummi Bears
DuckTales
Talespin
Darkwing Duck
Goof Troop
Gargoyles

DO IT.

ARE YOU CRAZY. THAT WOULD BE STUPID. We can't live in the past. We can't. Also, Goof Troop was REALLY stupid and boring. Grrrrrrrr.

Wow! Never expected them to do this, but the DuckTales video game remake must have pleased the higher ups enough.

I think this style works for Mickey, but I don't think it would work for Ducktales. Ducktales is still a more adventure oriented show.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I just realised how excited I am to see a (possibly, hopefully) good representation of comics-Donald.

Alan Young absolutely still has the chops for the part, the recent game proves he still sounds perfect for the role.

But, assuming this runs for years, and its still so far away...
ah man. Well I just hope he's able to contribute in some way.

sqwarlock

Why reboot? Why not just air the original cartoons again? This way you don't have to worry about finding people that sound sort of like the original characters and you don't have to spend money on new production.

Maybe I just don't understand the fervor over rebooting something that, if it's as good as it should be, will still hold up.

Why reboot? Why not just air the original cartoons again? This way you don't have to worry about finding people that sound sort of like the original characters and you don't have to spend money on new production.

Maybe I just don't understand the fervor over rebooting something that, if it's as good as it should be, will still hold up.

As mentioned in the thread, there are still a ton of Carl Barks and Don Rosa stories to be adapted, and if this series really is going to have Donald as a regular character, that's already a worthwhile improvement.

Pete Rock

Last year I was introduced to and spent some time with a friend of a friend who was employed by Disney and had access to their paint department and archives. I started picking his brain about this and once he realized I was very interested in the history of animation, his eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas morning and he said "oh, I have some things to show you!"

They were hemorrhaging material at some point and he personally saved and stored thousands of boxes of archived work. I handled hand-painted animation production cel transparencies from various episodes of Duck Tales, which was a show I grew up watching. It was really fascinating and I felt quite blessed for having the experience.

They were throwing all this "garbage" out because they were switching to all digital everything. Ughhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom