• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales (2017) |OT| Might solve a mystery, or reboot history!

Platy

Who is Magica btw

kxgfVwZ.jpg

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Magica_De_Spell

Long story short, evil witch that wants the Number One Dime for it's magical proprieties.

Early Ducktales 2017 announcements mentioned that she is a LGBT icon but I still haven't understood that one.
But then again it also mentions this series would have duckworth so it either knows way more than we do or knows nothing at all.

TheSun

Man I can smell the upcoming storyline a mile away, but I'm still hyped to see my favorite Italian return.

Good ass episode in any case. Such a good show to come back home to.

Ristifer

Another great episode. Though, it definitely felt like more of a setup than anything else. But still, good stuff.

I need more Launchpad, though hah.

Nohar

Well, that last shot was eerie.

We will have to see if she will be a minor or a major antagonist. So far, we only saw minor ones (Glomgold is too ridiculous/comical, and Ma Beagle and his boys are too cartoonish).

Anyhow, it's telling that Webbie is one of my favorite character of the show, especially when she was... less than interesting in the original cartoon. They successfully salvaged and remodeled her character.

MUnited83

For you.
Googled apparently Magical has a niece in the comics Lena is probably based on but changed

latest
Actually she technically has two more nieces, somewhat.
bruxas-exame.jpeg

And
magali-ma.jpeg

Not sure what to name them in English. From what I see the name of the character they originated from is Witch Child. In Europe/Brazil etc they are given different names but it seems they are called both called Witch Child in English.

Anyhow, the top one is evil and a constant pranker. Comics with her are usually about the "Witch School" and the shenanigans she and her classmates get into. There's only some slight interaction with Magical, from time to time.
The bottom one is the opposite, she's a complete goody two shoes that can't ever do anything evil. Most of her stories are directly interacting with Magical, with Magica always trying to have her do evil stuff and involve her in her schemes, but it never works out and she always does good in the endm

7Th

No no, at one point she gives less of a shit about the dime and it's more of a Batman/Joker type thing :p

It's because she realizes stealing the dime is pointless; I can't remember the details of the comic story pretty well, but she managed to steal it yet it lacked the powers she believed it had. She still likes to mess with Scrooge, though.

MUnited83

For you.
It's because she realizes stealing the dime is pointless; I can't remember the details of the comic story pretty well, but she managed to steal it yet it lacked the powers she believed it had. She still likes to mess with Scrooge, though.

Not quite correct. I believe you're remembering when she went back in time to steal the dime from Scrooge as a little kid. But she does it by getting the coin before it was ever given to Scrooge. She only realizes it at the last second and she ends giving the coin back just before she goes back to the present.

But yes, stealing the dime is pointless. She wants it to be rich, but she already has plenty of the first coins of several millionaires. She acknowledges even before she starts going after Scrooge that the amulet she wants to make would work pretty well without it.

Zubz

Banned
Early Ducktales 2017 announcements mentioned that she is a LGBT icon but I still haven't understood that one.

I looked it up & 95% of my answers were people being equally confused. And that included you in the reveal thread!

I found that some consider her an LGBT icon because she never stuck to a specific gender for her disguises, so maybe that's what they're thinking? Granted, that logic means Jessie, James, & Aku all count as LGBT icons but I mean, James caused Li'l Zubz to ask a few questions, so.... Apparently, a Ru Paul's Drag Race contestant also cosplayed as her, if that counts towards EW making the claim, too. I definitely don't think it was the original intention for the character, but that'd be cool if it was canon in this iteration.

I need more Launchpad, though hah.

Absolutely. His lack of presence has not gone unnoticed. I really hope it leads to a reveal that he moonlights across the bridge to some suburbanite in St. Canard...

We will have to see if she will be a minor or a major antagonist. So far, we only saw minor ones (Glomgold is too ridiculous/comical, and Ma Beagle and his boys are too cartoonish).

I feel like all 3 will be major with time. I doubt they're going to have arc villains for DuckTales. Maybe arc mysteries, but not arc villains. Ma Beagle's already the antagonist for half the episodes, & it's abundantly clear why Glomgold's a villain already.

That said, if anyone's going to be an arc villain, it's probably Magica since she's not in the intro or any of the promo stuff, & we've only seen a silhouette so far. Add in the fact that she clearly has a grander plan, & she may very well be a Big Bad that they're saving for a reveal later in the season.

Wow, I thought people saying Lena was Magica was going a little overboard like the whole "Onion is secretly a Diamond" theory for Steven Universe but wow, did not expect it to be true (well she's related).

Really surprised they didn't show the Beagle Babes or that smart hacker Beagle from old Ducktales. Good episode though.

Zubz

Banned
Wow, I thought people saying Lena was Magica was going a little overboard like the whole "Onion is secretly a Diamond" theory for Steven Universe but wow, did not expect it to be true (well she's related).

Really surprised they didn't show the Beagle Babes or that smart hacker Beagle from old Ducktales. Good episode though.

It wasn't a guarantee, but I wouldn't go as far to compare it to those weird theories. There was enough suspicious stuff about her; the preview teased she had a mysterious backstory, & Magica's absence in all promos barring the aforementioned "She's here somewhere!" interview justified questioning that any character was her.

I was skeptical myself, but the second she identified her necklace as having a "talisman," I jumped onto the "younger Magica" train. To be fair, we were all still wrong about her being Magica's niece, though.

Neoxon

I

FUCKING

KNEW IT!!!!!

I KNEW LENA WAS RELATED TO MAGICA SOMEHOW!!!!

*ahem*

I had a gut feeling that she was Magica's niece, but at least we now have the big bad of Season 1.

Great episode. The Webby/Lena dynamic was really fun to watch. Glad she didn't turn out to be Magica, I want her to be part of the main cast going forward.

It's really cool how this show pushes the theme of "family". Scrooge is reuniting with his family, Donald learns to put more faith into his family, Dewy is on a quest to find out what happens to his mother, and now Lena's dislike of the concept of family.

The world building is great too, with the show throwing out threads to continue later. That Magica reveal was hype and creepy. Can't wait to see what they're gonna do with her.

I'm hoping this show will generate a loyal fanbase ala Gravity Fall/Steven Universe because it sure deserves to and I want to see it continue through the coming years. I'm not seeing much hype for it out there which is a bit worrying.

Psxphile

Seems the episodes have an intended viewing order that Disney XD isn't quite following.

Intended Order:
1) WOO-OO! (pilot, contains episodes "Woo-oo!" and "Escape to/from Atlantis!")
2) Daytrip of Doom!
3) Unannounced Huey Ep (pushed to December because snow)
4) Great Dime Chase!
5) Beagle Birthday Massacre!
6) House of the Lucky Gander!
7) Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!
8) Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!
9) Terror of the Terra-Firmians! (moved up)

Frank Angones said:
That's our order to properly space out character spotlights, season arcs, and the right ratio of Duckburg eps to Globetrotting eps. Oh well.
In short, Huey was meant to get episode spotlight much earlier, and several episodes were meant to pass before Terra-Firmians picks up where Beagle Birthday Massacre left off concerning the Lena character. I assume every thing after Living Mummies airs will be in intended order (or worst case, hiatus time).

Holiday programming, am I right?

Boem

Not quite correct. I believe you're remembering when she went back in time to steal the dime from Scrooge as a little kid. But she does it by getting the coin before it was ever given to Scrooge. She only realizes it at the last second and she ends giving the coin back just before she goes back to the present.

I love that comic. It was a Don Rosa one, and it worked well as a little coda to Life & Times. Magica's realization that she was the one who ended up giving him the coin, resulting in him going to America and becoming rich, was really well done.

I wonder if they're going to try to retell that story on the show, in their own way? In the lucky dime episode, they made sure to show artwork very intentionally similar to how Don Rosa portrayed the moment Scrooge got his dime, and they talked a lot about how important Don Rosa's work (and Barks of course) was to their version of Ducktales, making Life and Times required reading for people working on the show, and there are obviously lots of nods to it in the show already. That little adventure makes for a good 20 minute story incorperating one of his stories directly without doing the entire Life and Times saga (which is never going to happen), and I think it's one of the better Magica stories.

If they're open to doing direct adaptions from the comics, I'd love to see the one where time is stopped and the kids are running around in a time frozen Duckburg from the Beagle Boys. Forgot the name. Or the Duck Who Never Was, which is my alltime favorite story, but definitely way, way too dark for this show. Son of the Sun is obviously another high point, makes for a great Glomgold story. As for Barks stories, my favorite is still probably Lost in the Andes (which they referenced in the show last week I believe).

My dream project would still be a long, big budget adaption of Life and Times and Don Rosa's other works (and the related Barks stories), with an artstyle that's very true to Don Rosa's scratchy, underground comic style. I don't think it'll ever happen, but a man can dream. There are definitely moments where Don Rosa gets darker than Disney would like the Ducks to be on screen though (like Scrooge's "darkest hour" where he burned down that African village, the events after Scrooge learns his parents died, everything in The Duck Who Never Was). It's almost a miracle he got away with it in the comics, and one biography I read suggested he only got to continue doing his thing was because he kept getting awards for it, and was by far the most high profile Disney comic creator after Barks. Of course, he's not on good terms at all with Disney these days, so I can see my dream project not happening for that reason as well.

I wonder if he said anything about the new Ducktales paying tribute to his work pretty much every episode. I know that the writers were too nervous to approach him before they started, and that he did clarify some months ago that the old story that he hated the old Ducktales was untrue - he thinks of it as one of the best tv cartoons, just not true to how he sees the Ducks and their world. I believe he even wrote (but not drew) a Ducktales tie in comic at some point.

Hermii

I knew she had something to do with Magica the second webby pointed out her mystical amulet.

Seems the episodes have an intended viewing order that Disney XD isn't quite following.

Intended Order:
1) WOO-OO! (pilot, contains episodes "Woo-oo!" and "Escape to/from Atlantis!")
2) Daytrip of Doom!
3) Unannounced Huey Ep (pushed to December because snow)
4) Great Dime Chase!
5) Beagle Birthday Massacre!
6) House of the Lucky Gander!
7) Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!
8) Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!
9) Terror of the Terra-Firmians! (moved up)

In short, Huey was meant to get episode spotlight much earlier, and several episodes were meant to pass before Terra-Firmians picks up where Beagle Birthday Massacre left off concerning the Lena character. I assume every thing after Living Mummies airs will be in intended order (or worst case, hiatus time).

Holiday programming, am I right?

There is no way Im waiting until December to watch them in the proper order

There's no point this late in the game since at the very least the episodes being played out of order right now have no real continuity to break.

Character/story development episodes though, let's hope Disney doesn't fuck it up.

Don’t mean to derail, Duck-GAF, but is the “Life and Times” graphic novel that gets referenced here so much being rereleased again? Maybe I misheard..

Rymuth

kxgfVwZ.jpg

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Magica_De_Spell

Long story short, evil witch that wants the Number One Dime for it's magical proprieties.

But then again it also mentions this series would have duckworth so it either knows way more than we do or knows nothing at all.

The dime itself has no magical properties. It's because of it's symbolism as Scrooge's very first earned dime.

At one point, she goes back and time and steals it from the American who will give it to Scrooge, only to realize that it's worthless without it getting into Scrooge's hand in the first place.

To clarify, in the "original timeline", Scrooge indeed got his coin from that worker, not Magica. According to Don Rosa, when Magica gave the coin back to Scrooge, that reset the timeline back to how it was supposed to be, with her never having been there.

As for stories I'd like to see, I want that story where Magica gains gravity reversing magic before Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6 is animated. I'm a bit worried that making Magica a big threat would make sillier stories involving her harder to adapt.

Richie

Oh hey, my thread title suggestion was used. Thanks, OP and Psxphile! :)

Late to comment here, but I must echo the love for the show so far. Great handling of the characters; Duck fan for life here, and I got accustomed to the nephews' distinct personalities really fast because they're so likable here. Webby is a pleasant surprise, a show stealer, easily one of my favorites. Scrooge, Beakly, Launchpad, all on point as well, even if they haven't had as much screentime.

Donald, though! I can't overstate how much I love the focus and depth they've given him! Finally an animated incarnation of the character that's reminiscent of the comics' characterization! A move that's brought him a lot of love in the fandom, much of it from people who never expected they could like Donald as much. Can only hope Disney takes notice of the positive reception and becomes inspired to let future animated productions flesh out Donny as much.

Did a silly rewrite of a certain well known America song; Frank Angones liked it!

I've been through the mansion as a horse with no head
It felt bad to lack room for a brain
In the mansion, I suddenly got a head
Modeled after that duck with the spats and the cane
La la, laaa, la la la laa, la la laa, got a heeaad....

On a less positive note, I thought the latest episode was the weakest so far. Had some good laughs and Huey could finally shine here, but felt by-the-numbers compared to what came before it. Ma Beagle ain't making much of an impression either with how easily she's being thwarted (she had fun bits in Daytrip of Doom tho).

Two Donald-free episodes in a row, for shame. Scrooge out this week and as confirmed by Angones will be a no show next week as well (Don likely won't show up either). Looking forward to the Gladstone Gander episode, not just to give Don some spotlight again, but because their rivalry in the comics could get hilarious, and they have a golden opportunity to exploit it here.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Are we not going to talk about how a Ducktales cartoon basically paid tribute to The Warriors with its last episode?

So is Magica like dead or.

We don't know yet. If I had to wager a guess, she's probably trapped in some sort of pocket dimension or something?

If it does turn out that Magica is going to be the main villain of this season, maybe it'll turn out that Della used the Spear of Selene for whatever reason to seal Magica away and is trapped in there with her?

Tizoc

Ep. 5- I kinda suspected that, but I do hope they still remain friends.

Better find a way to put his theme in the episode he shows up in. We need to get dangerous.

As I wrote before
Make it a 2 parter
Part 1 has the regular DT intro
Part 2 has the DW intro

Don't mean to derail, Duck-GAF, but is the ”Life and Times" graphic novel that gets referenced here so much being rereleased again? Maybe I misheard..

Just get these collections as they feature the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606998676/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606999621/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So Ducktales reboot and Dragon Ball Super are collectively going to be my cartoon jam in the coming months. Non cable person here, using Crunchy Roll with ads for DBS, what's best way to stream Ducktales? Just buy a season pass somewhere?

Legendary Ducktales villain created by Carl Banks. In the old Ducktales cartoon, she was voiced by June Foray.

As her name implies, Magica is an evil magic user out to get Scrooge's Number One dime.

It's Carl Barks. :p Otherwise thumbs up to your post.

Just get these collections as they feature the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606998676/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606999621/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Listen to this man. I own the first print collection of the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, got it over ten years ago before it became OOP and outrageously overpriced. It's nice to have but it's paperback and the Fantagraphics Don Rosa hardcover collections are fantastic, much higher quality and also feature interviews with Rosa, concept/alternate art and plenty of cross references/explanations on how Rosa's stories of course often tie directly into the Barks canon. Their Carl Barks hardcover collections are top notch too of course.

PK Gaming

That episode was... alright. Despite the characters literally stating otherwise, it didn't feel like much of an adventure. I think I would have preferred a sea-faring adventure over harassing the beagle boys, and in general i'm just not that big of a fan of Webby, who seems to be getting the lion's share of the spotlight. It's a huge shame, because this show has a really strong cast, and the show works best when they're all present.

Goodstyle

That episode was... alright. Despite the characters literally stating otherwise, it didn't feel like much of an adventure. I think I would have preferred a sea-faring adventure over harassing the beagle boys, and in general i'm just not that big of a fan of Webby, who seems to be getting the lion's share of the spotlight. It's a huge shame, because this show has a really strong cast, and the show works best when they're all present.

If they wanted to make a Webby TV show, they should have just made one. Scrooge getting sidelined in his own show just feels... off.

BriGuy

This series is like when Family Matters went whole hog on Steve Urkel at the expense of everyone and everything else, only with Webby instead of Steve. She's not a bad character, but it's kind of annoying how hard they're trying to push her over.

Edit: heh, the comment above mine wasn't there when I started typing. Guess it's not just me.

I'd wager that we'll be getting more focus on Scrooge, Donald and the other adult characters in due time. I think a lot of this is coming down to the crew wanting to fully establish all of the kids and win over any fans that aren't totally into the idea of a) Webby being back from the original show or b) giving the triplets their own individual personas (and having adult voice actors in the role).

Or at least, I certainly hope that's the case. I'll definitely be a bit disappointed if we don't get much focus on Scrooge soon.

If they wanted to make a Webby TV show, they should have just made one. Scrooge getting sidelined in his own show just feels... off.

This series is like when Family Matters went whole hog on Steve Urkel at the expense of everyone and everything else, only with Webby instead of Steve. She's not a bad character, but it's kind of annoying how hard they're trying to push her over.

Edit: heh, the comment above mine wasn't there when I started typing. Guess it's not just me.

Blame Disney for screwing with the scheduling, we would've had a focus on Huey instead this week, thus spreading out the overall focus better.

ElFly

Webby has been center of at least half the plot of every episode so far, so I guess it's time to accept she is the central character

which I am fine with. I do think the characterizations are a little off with respect to the old material: Scrooge is chill, understanding and nurturing, Donald is competent, and the nephews are dumbasses.

great show

While I feel that this version of Webby is MILES better than the 80’s tv show version, the skipping of the Huey episode is definitely felt here.

Dime chase with the split focus was nice, introduction of Ma Beagle in the funtown episode was also nice, but it definetely felt like we had three Webby episodes in a row.

Not a bad thing, I find her really entertaining now.

While I feel that this version of Webby is MILES better than the 80’s tv show version, the skipping of the Huey episode is definitely felt here.

Dime chase with the split focus was nice, introduction of Ma Beagle in the funtown episode was also nice, but it definetely felt like we had three Webby episodes in a row.

It's a shame solely because other characters are getting severely low screen time.

Neoxon

Was it ever confirmed if Jim Cummings was coming back to voice Darkwing Duck? He already voices Ghost in Avengers Assemble & Spider-Man, so he clearly still does some voice work for Disney's shows.

ElFly

While I feel that this version of Webby is MILES better than the 80's tv show version, the skipping of the Huey episode is definitely felt here.

Huey episode still seems to have Webby sharing the main role

I mean we'd get more Huey who has been sidelined somewhat so far, but that doesn't mean less Webby

Tizoc

So Ducktales reboot and Dragon Ball Super are collectively going to be my cartoon jam in the coming months. Non cable person here, using Crunchy Roll with ads for DBS, what's best way to stream Ducktales? Just buy a season pass somewhere?

It's Carl Barks. :p Otherwise thumbs up to your post.

Listen to this man. I own the first print collection of the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, got it over ten years ago before it became OOP and outrageously overpriced. It's nice to have but it's paperback and the Fantagraphics Don Rosa hardcover collections are fantastic, much higher quality and also feature interviews with Rosa, concept/alternate art and plenty of cross references/explanations on how Rosa's stories of course often tie directly into the Barks canon. Their Carl Barks hardcover collections are top notch too of course.

One can also lurk Ebay to try and get a copy of L&T by Boom! Studios before Disney pulled the license. I own a copy although I had to pay around $50ish for it XP
Still worth it though The copy I got is very clean and good.

Top Bottom