• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales reboot coming 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Ducktales was one of the GOAT classic cartoons bu I have to remain only cautiously optimistic. Way too much we don't know about this to get really excited yet.

UberTag

I'll reserve judgment until I see how it turns out and that they don't air a new episode once every month or two.

I mean it can't be any worse than this, right?

Quack-Pack-Show-Banner-300x300.jpg

Lunar15

Can't wait for the episode where ol' Scrooge tries to buy Facebill in order to look cool in front of his nephews, only to find out that they all use SnapQuack.

Blabberinblatherskite!
BLATHERING. BLATHERING blatherskite. How did nobody correct this. Some fans you all claim to be!!

They've been working on this for a long time. I actually know a guy who got hired to write a treatment for it. Super secretive so I don't know if they picked him or not but it's been in the works since before the NES Remaster came out.

There's a whole group of people at Disney TVA that want to make reboots/continuations of Disney Afternoon shows but The Suits have always stonewalled them because "today's kids don't know these characters". HEAVEN FORBID you introduce them, right?!?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I just hope this turns out good, and not wretchedly awful like Goof Troop. Remember Goofy and his jackass nephew Max? UGH I hope they don't try to give the 3 ducks kids a 'tude like Max

gooftroop.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't know how I feel about this, my childhood has risen from the grave seemingly all at once today.

TimmiT

Oh man if the press release there implies that Donald Duck is gonna be one of the main characters this time I'm gonna be real excited for this. I remember being disappointed as a kid that he was rarely on the show.

Just please don't be CG.

Will be disappointed when I see the CG.

Will be massively disappointed if they don't even bother using the original intro or at least making a good remix of it.

I am INSANELY EXCITED about this. My jaw dropped when I read the news because a co-worker and I were just talking a few months ago about how amazing it would be if Disney would revisit the series. As someone else said hopefully they don't use cheap flash style animation with blocky, semi-distorted Phineas and Pherb style designs or the Paul Ruddish Mickey style (no offense to either). Obviously aside from pencil tests the color and animation will be all digital but proper designs or bust. If it doesn't look like the original series I don't care.

If they're including Donald it sounds like that they may be adapting the Carl Barks Duck stories more closely.

I hope they keep drinking heavily on Carl Barks and put some of work of Don Rosa too. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is something amazing to do a long animated movie.

As someone who has been collecting the Carl Barks and Don Rosa comics since the '80s in the old Gladstone distribution days, THIS and THIS.

Even the comics in Disney's Adventures were great.

The movie was the first movie I ever saw in theatres. I was really young. I think my brother was overwhelmed at the sound and lights and threw up.

The one episode I remember was the one where Huey Dewey and Louie want their allowance early so they change Uncle Scrooge's clocks and calendars one day ahead. It messes up Scrooge's schedule and he has to convince everyone else which day is correct. I thought it was an excellent commentary on how time is whatever we say it is.

Holy shit, Donald's gonna be a regular instead of a rare cameo?

Gonna have to keep my eyes peeled for this one.

But jesus christ, 1987, people who were BORN when the first DuckTales came out will be 30 by then. I fear for the ones who were alive and intelligent by the time it first started airing. Don't get alzheimers.

Holy shit, Donald's gonna be a regular instead of a rare cameo?

Gonna have to keep my eyes peeled for this one.

But jesus christ, 1987, people who were BORN when the first DuckTales came out will be 30 by then. I fear for the ones who were alive and intelligent by the time it first started airing. Don't get alzheimers.

I was alive and intelligent when watching DuckTales, I'll be 32 when the new series comes out. >:T

I do hope they include Donald in the stories more. Reading the Carl Barks and Don Rosa comics, Donald really did add a ton to the stories, and the DuckTales-original characters simply could not replace him.
It just came to my mind that there is a big issue (at least for me) in having Comic Donald Duck appear in an animated series. I can't imagine CDD speaking with the classic Animated Donald Duck's voice. That's the voice of a comedy character, not the one of a well-rounded character as CDD.

Speaking of what style they'll use, maybe they'll go with Paul Rudish's style of the recent Mickey Mouse shorts considering Scrooge and Gyro recently had cameos.
That style is good for slapsticks comedies, not much for an adventure series.

Remove Webby. Such a useless addition. If you need girl power just use Daisy.
The show will probably be targeted to children, so Daisy would not fit the idea "if our target are children, we need a child protagonist" (which I think is idiotic, but I don't create cartoons).

By the way this makes me think about the fact that "women" in Barks' comics (and often in Rosa's too) are just side characters. Yeah, we have Magica De Spell and Glittering Goldie, but Daisy is not that prominent at all.

Again, aside from writing obviously, the art will make or break this show. The fact it's on DisneyXD makes me very nervous. Do pencils and then farm it out to the Korean studio that animated Futurama. I don't care if the episodes have to be shorter, just need proper looking characters and decent animation.

Modern kids react to Ducktales and surprise, most of them say they would like to watch more of the show and go so far as to prefer the animation to the appearance of modern TV cartoons. If that doesn't show how clueless the Disney TV execs who've been stonewalling this for years are I don't know what does:

http://uproxx.com/up/2014/06/in-kid...-youth-arent-a-total-disappointment-for-once/

Also, this is a must read,

5 Amazing Things Invented by Donald Duck (and Uncle Scrooge)

http://www.cracked.com/article_19021_5-amazing-things-invented-by-donald-duck-seriously.html

This one blew me away the first time I read it:

Scrooge McDuck Created Manga

Carl Barks was the most prolific writer and artist for the Disney Duck comics. He's responsible for four out of five entries on this list, and is therefore unarguably the father of the entire modern world. But possibly Bark's greatest contribution was the influence of Scrooge McDuck on one Osamu Tezuka. Don't recognize the name? Well, Tezuka has a few nicknames, like "The Father of Manga," or "The Godfather of Anime." If you've still got a blank stare on your face, then we'll just tell you he's the guy responsible for this (picture of Astro Boy):

43419.jpg

He's also responsible for a few characters that weren't all that popular over here, like Black Jack and Kimba the White Lion, the latter of which Disney shamelessly stole -- you know, as back-payment for all of the sweet, sweet inspiration their guy doled out earlier.

Tezuka's work basically invented manga after World War II, which in turn inspired the cartoon form anime. Tezuka himself says that he owes absolutely all of this to none other than Scrooge McDuck. Tezuka's entire artistic style -- including such trademarks as the overly large, cutesy eyes and small mouths -- can still be seen today as defining aspects of Japanese animation. His work became the basis for all manga, ever, and Tezuka has confirmed that the basis for his work was Barks' Scrooge McDuck.

This means that without characters like this:

43422.jpg

The world would have never had characters like this:

43423.jpg

The real shame is that the properties are owned by different, not entirely friendly companies, so the two artist's works will never meet in film or print. Well other than all those greeting cards Tezuka sent to Barks throughout his life, thanking him for the inspiration.

43424.jpg

It just came to my mind that there is a big issue (at least for me) in having Comic Donald Duck appear in an animated series. I can't imagine CDD speaking with the classic Animated Donald Duck's voice. That's the voice of a comedy character, not the one of a well-rounded character as CDD.

Eh, I've always had cartoon Donald's voice in my head when reading both the Barks and Rosa comics (and Alan Young's voice for Scrooge). Plus, Donald fit in just fine during the handful of Ducktales episodes that he was featured in where he was a mixture of both thoughtful and feisty/bad tempered. Tony Anselmo is gonna do his voice again and it's gonna be awesome.

Can't wait. This is Disney's best franchise so it's great they'll capitalize on it. I wonder if it will skew more like the comic. Also I hope Flintheart Glomgold is South African this time.

Also fuck the guy who said Goof Troop sucked. It and Goofy movie were awesome. Plus Max was his son.

I'll reserve judgment until I see how it turns out and that they don't air a new episode once every month or two.

I mean it can't be any worse than this, right?

Quack-Pack-Show-Banner-300x300.jpg

lol
Yeah, Quack Pack is way more embarrassingly "try-hard" than I remember it being.

Anyways, I'm down to check out whatever they come up with.
I love Duck Tales; plus, green lighting great programs like "Gravity Falls", "Wonder over Yonder", "Star Vs the Forces of Evil", and those new Mickey Mouse cartoons by Paul Rudish gives me a lot of confidence in Disney's ability to pick winners in the TV-budgeted cartoon department.

Sou Da

Why do they keep trying to justify Disney XD's existence while dooming shows in the process?

Also if this is flash or cgi I have no hope for the future of American animated shows.

DarkFlow

Banned
Why do they keep trying to justify Disney XD's existence while dooming shows in the process?

Also if this is flash or cgi I have no hope for the future of American animated shows.

It's going to be flash, so you might as well give up that ghost now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom