• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales (2017) |OT| Might solve a mystery, or reboot history!

So I watched the latest episode, and really enjoyed it. It's always cool when Webby gets the spotlight.

I do wonder if they're ever going to acknowledge the lesser-known other Beagle Boys trio though, that only really appeared in the first season a few times, Babyface, Bebop and Bankjob. I'd like to see them in animation again anyway, they always stood out just because of how little they were used. If The Beagle Birthday Massacre is anything to go by though, then the writers probably don't even remember them.

Sean C

Huey episode still seems to have Webby sharing the main role
What are you basing that on? It hasn’t been scheduled yet.

That said, even beyond the reshuffling of episodes there probably is some natural impetus to foreground Webby, because she’s the only female lead on the show (Beakley is supporting).

Not

Banned
I like how it wasn't just the female characters who got captured, seeing the boys fit in one hand of the big beagle was pretty funny

This is a good show

My DVR says there's a new episode tonight (S1E5) called Esape to / From Atlantis. Wikipedia says Episode 5 airs on Saturday and is called "Terror of the Terra-firmians!"

Anyone know what the deal is?

OH, looking above, that's just the second half of the premiere movie?

Psxphile

Yup. They were going to split that hour-long premiere into two halves eventually, much easier to schedule reruns that way.

they changed gyro to some evil inventor?

Not evil, just a "nobody recognizes my genius!" jerk and an ego maniac. He makes things that accidentally become evil.

My best guess is that he joins/helps a villain like Mark Beaks in the future because he feels unappreciated by Scrooge while that villain sings his praises. But when he sees that his creation is actually being used for evil, he tries to stop it. It might make for a two or three parter.

Not evil, just a "nobody recognizes my genius!" jerk and an ego maniac. He makes things that accidentally become evil.

My best guess is that he joins/helps a villain like Mark Beaks in the future because he feels unappreciated by Scrooge while that villain sings his praises. But when he sees that his creation is actually being used for evil, he tries to stop it. It might make for a two or three parter.

idk. the ending of the episode just makes it feel like he is going to do this one on purpose.
but scrooge seems to be the only one that trust him.

Platy

best cast is the best cast

Also, that halloween promo is much better animated and done than I expected =O

Zubz

Banned

Wait, she's the new Magica? I hadn't even considered her, but even without her & Tennant's history on Doctor Who, she'd be a perfect fit.

idk. the ending of the episode just makes it feel like he is going to do this one on purpose.
but scrooge seems to be the only one that trust him.

Unless they're trying to throw off fans of the original series, Project Blatherskite
is going to be the birth of Gizmo Duck. And we know Lin-Manuel Miranda's take on Fenton Crackshell is going to be similar to the original take, except he works for Gyro as an intern which... Isn't one of the next episodes about internships? Either way, I don't know if Gyro's going to partner with anyone; he may just make the suit on his own, abandon it, & blam. Gizmoduck.

Okay, today's new episode was good. Nice to see Huey defined more, get more Lena, and hear
Magica speak

Yup, great episode all around. Launchpad was especially hilarious.

Definitely seems like they're setting up Magica to be the big villain of the show, at least for this season. Makes it all even better that we're getting a Tennant-Tate reunion out of it too.

Great episode. It was really annoying (and cruel) how Mrs. Beakley treated Lena, though. Felt a bit out of character for her to shame a kid that way.

7Th

The newly released episode has a "You're doubting this after all we've seen with McDuck?!" sorta dialogue that makes it very clear that the episodes are being aired out of order.

Did I miss an episode between the Beagle mom’s birthday / Lena intro episode and today’s? Hulu says I missed an episode in Atlantis

Today’s episode was outright boring.

Psxphile

tumblr_oxgmuiJhGS1urkm70o2_540.gif

Did I miss an episode between the Beagle mom’s birthday / Lena intro episode and today’s? Hulu says I missed an episode in Atlantis

Today’s episode was outright boring.
If you watched the pilot than no, you didn't.

abundant

The newly released episode has a "You're doubting this after all we've seen with McDuck?!" sorta dialogue that makes it very clear that the episodes are being aired out of order.

Disney has a habit of airing "Halloween" themed episodes in an advertised block, damn the episode order. That's what happened today, with Ducktales, Spider Man, and Milo Murphy.

Zubz

Banned
Ok, just gotta say, I like
Tate as Magica
, but I think the biggest revelation is Launchpad (Who killed it) sees Dewey as his best friend. Does that mean he doesn't know Darkwing yet in this universe?

7Th

The episode switching around kinda screwed the tone of the show a bit; this one was meant to happen
after 4 episodes with Scrooge on a leading role, with summaries that don't mention Weeby at all.

Zubz

Banned
Eh the plotline for Lena has been seen so god damn often we already have a solid idea how it'll end so it's not much to look forward to.

Yeah... The "villain side character with a heart of gold ends up befriending a good character & face turning" has been done to death. I'm excited about Magica herself, though!

Ristifer

Thank goodness for more Launchpad. Him grabbing Dewey's head to throw him out of the railcar had me laughing so hard.

Crocodile

If feel the whole "Lena is evil" is something that should have been built up to rather than just revealed at the end of the first episode she's introduced in :/

Also agree with other above that I expect the plotline to end very predictably

Epcott

Since Disney is more lax with Marvel cameos in their shows now, is it possible we could see Howard the Duck visit Duckberg?

Also, maybe Lena IS Magicka, just a part of her personality she keeps at bay. Wait, did she refer to Magicka as “Aunt”?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Now I wonder how Magica will turn out, the shadow's probably (!) exaggerated, but then.. Design could be a complete miss or hit.

Don't understand the Lena hate though, I think she's a pretty cool addition to the cast, if a bit stereotypical so far.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The show has been pretty good but I really want to see more Uncle Scrooge and more globe trotting adventures.

The order's out of whack, don't forget. There probably should have been quite some adventuring and buildup for the Magica threat as well between episodes, but since episodes were moved around.. eh.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Wow it’s actially the sort of Ducktales episode I’ve been waiting for. More adventure and excitement and slightly less humor. I’ve loved the show but have really missed the adventure element from the original series and new movie.

Also Launchpad was always dumb. Honestly he’s only a hair dumber here.

Platy

For an episode named terror of the Terra-Firmians there was very little terra firmians =P

I am liking the "she is good, no she is bad, no she is good, no she is bad" thing with lena

Sean C

The basic plot with Lena will probably play out in an expected way, but this is a cartoon aimed at kids for whom this sort of story is new. Every iteration of it is somebody's first. And I think it'll be good character material for Webby, whenever the reveal comes.

The basic plot with Lena will probably play out in an expected way, but this is a cartoon aimed at kids for whom this sort of story is new. Every iteration of it is somebody's first. And I think it'll be good character material for Webby, whenever the reveal comes.

Agreed. While it's a very common character trope, it can still work really well when done right. So far I'm digging Lena as a character, even if I can see where this is all going from a hundred miles away. And like you said, this trope offers some potentially interesting character development for Webby down the road.

Rymuth

I'm really digging this show. :)

Not sure if I like Magica's voice. Not exotic enough, imho.

Her shadow reminds me of that one episode in the Original series where shadow comes to life (same hissing voice) - maybe it's a callback?

My kids were all about the terra-fermiens, they loved the episode. I thought it was ok, but seeing the episode 110 next to...

Loved Huey, definitely the closest to the 80’s cartoon of the three siblings which is ok. junior Woodchuck guidebook was well placed and I liked how he referenced it a bunch. I liked more launchpad and Ms Beakley.

I’m wanting a Scrooge episode or a Donald episode. Get with the program Disney, I’m going to Disneyworld in a few weeks and I want these kids to talk to Donald about his adventures.

Don't worry Ducktales writers I got you covered

Magica: YOU FOOLS YOU TRUSTED LENA

Webby/the whole duck family: OH WOE IS ME LENA! WHY!

Lena: No but I grew to like all of you!

*1 episode of Lena redemption arc where she's separated*

*1 episode of lena seemingly sacrificing herself for her friends as she beats magica*

Webby: I guess she wasn't so bad. I wonder if we'll ever see her ag-

*she returns in season 2*

Ristifer

For an episode named terror of the Terra-Firmians there was very little terra firmians =P

I am liking the "she is good, no she is bad, no she is good, no she is bad" thing with lena
Yeah, really. I think there were more mole monster quotes than Terra-Firmian quotes in the episode hah.

Hermii

Yep. They’re just pushing for Halloween theme episodes to air

Why cant writers get a notice on these things? Aren't schedules being planned that long in advance?

Like if the writers knew in advance the fifth episode would be aired around Halloween, and the tenth episode would be aired in December for example, they can insert fitting teams in the right episode so Disney won't have a reason to show them out of order.

Top Bottom