• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DWARF FORTRESS - For real this time. - This topic is for you (yes YOU)

Emitan

Oh, hey, a tutorial. I've been meaning to give this game another try...

Yes, it's two and a half hours long.
v3W2E.png

blahness

If I could ever get dfterm to display properly when serving from my machine, I would open it up for those who would want to learn. :\

Orayn

I love this game...well...I WANT to love it.

It's brilliant, it really is but the interface is just so...inscrutable to me. : /

It's like learning to ride an incredibly complicated bicycle. Believe me, things get a lot easier once you're proficient in the basic menus.

roxya

I loved this game, but my fortress would always get to a certain point and my framerate would drop too low to bother continuing :/

Emitan

Is this a viable netbook game? I know it looks simple graphically but the game is actually extremely complex.

Manik

Is this a viable netbook game? I know it looks simple graphically but the game is actually extremely complex.
I think so, it's very CPU dependent though, so your mileage may vary. If you cap your population then I can't see why it wouldn't. I used to play on a fairly low spec MacBook, with boot camp.

bengraven

I will be there Day 1 when this game finally gets a more modern, less abrasive UI.

I suppose I sound like a twat, much like the guys I've chastised for saying "I will play Minecraft when it comes out with better textures".

Vagabundo

Okay you bastards you did it again. Everytime this thread is bumped I get sucked into this awesome game.

Anyway, this tutorial is the best and damn easy too:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Quickstart_guide

And use the lazy newbie pack and pick a nice titleset and using the dwarf therapist utility from the launcher helps loads when fiddling with your dwarves skills and assignments.. It makes a difference to understanding whats going on when a door looks like a door.

I'll post some interesting bits from my fortress soon, but I've managed to pick a place that is completely inaccessible to all wagons. Yey. Has no gems or metals. Huzzar. And I've gotten three loads of migrants already and a couple of babies. I'm spending my time making beds for them, most of them just hang around the common room having parties most of the time and cooking in the kitchen. They are a happy lot though. Some of the idlers I've assigned to a milita. I don't even know if they have weapons or armour but they started training anyway.

It's so cute when I create a new wing of bedrooms and build doors to see the dwarves swarm in carrying the doors. Industrious little chaps.

Apart from some dangerous racoons they're doesn't seem to be anything too nasty around at the moment. I've got two puppies guarding the entrance to watch for thieves and kidnappers.

I've installed it onto a usb key and I'm bringing it around with me. Works great.

I will be there Day 1 when this game finally gets a more modern, less abrasive UI.

I suppose I sound like a twat, much like the guys I've chastised for saying "I will play Minecraft when it comes out with better textures".

Hypocrite!

Although, if you were to play through a tutorial you would get used to the UI and wouldn't even notice it. It really is worth it, especially if you are a minecraft player.

blahness

They are a happy lot though. Some of the idlers I've assigned to a milita. I don't even know if they have weapons or armour but they started training anyway.

squads of non-armored wrestlers and biters can still win battles! Makes for entertaining battle reports.

Teach them at a young age

C5w4B.png

this is from my current fortress shortly after I had set up most of my basic structures but before traps were set. Badger man wanders into the fortress and starts harassing dwarves and whatnot. Badger man pisses off my woodcutter who promptly cuts off one of its hands and then Badger man wanders off trailing blood and harasses this child. Shortly after this took place he left the fortress to roam the wilds again.

bengraven

Hypocrite!

Although, if you were to play through a tutorial you would get used to the UI and wouldn't even notice it. It really is worth it, especially if you are a minecraft player.

Wait, so the 1.5 hour tutorial is IN-GAME?

That's a horse of a different color then. I assumed it was one of the thousands of hours of DF tutorials on Youtube.

That's a horse of a different color then. I assumed it was one of the thousands of hours of DF tutorials on Youtube.

No, the tutorial is not in-game. But there are written tutorials with pictures to accompany them which I think helps much more than the Youtube videos. I like using the Youtube videos for refresher on how to do things or learn more complicated things after I had the general feel for the game.

Seriously, I linked a written tutorial earlier, and a few people have linked the Quickstart Guide, which is just as helpful. These are what you want to do to familiarize yourself with the game. It is seriously a lot of fun. And remember, Losing is Fun!

Vagabundo

hehe blahness that's some dangerous children you've got there. I'm going to try and equip them with something hefty. Without metal I can't make many weapons, but the carpenter can make training axes and spears. I also need some hides for my leather worker to make armour, I need to figure out how to hunt. :D

Stop being such a wuss and follow one of the written guides. It's well worth it. The quickstart guide is very good and you'll get the hang of the interface quickly.

The only problem I had was trying to get the find to work for the starting area. Just pick something without an aquifer, those things are death.

Manik

In one of my previous forts a Kobold managed to sneak in, presumably to nab some supplies from my stockpiles, but got chased before he got anything.

Until he met one of my female fisher dwarves who was on her way back in with her catch. As the two passed on the drawbridge, the Kobold buried a knife into her and she died on the spot. The Kobold fled and wasn't seen again.

I felt really bad for the poor dwarf :( She was an innocent victim in the wrong place at the wrong time, killed by a spiteful Kobold.

I can't think of any other game that's given me quite as many cool, individual, mini-stories as dwarf fortress, every time I play.

Mxrz

I gave it another go yesterday with the Newbie pack and tutorials. I might just be hooked this time, and I haven't even seen an enemy yet. I was bothered by the interface at first, but now I hardly notice it.

Learning how to dump rock made a huge difference for me. I need a tidy fortress!

Lol that made me cringe. I need to get into this game, it's soooo crazily deep, it seems like.

Fixed

In one of my previous forts a Kobold managed to sneak in, presumably to nab some supplies from my stockpiles, but got chased before he got anything.

Until he met one of my female fisher dwarves who was on her way back in with her catch. As the two passed on the drawbridge, the Kobold buried a knife into her and she died on the spot. The Kobold fled and wasn't seen again.

I felt really bad for the poor dwarf :( She was an innocent victim in the wrong place at the wrong time, killed by a spiteful Kobold.

I can't think of any other game that's given me quite as many cool, individual, mini-stories as dwarf fortress, every time I play.

One of my early forts I was trying to create underground irrigation and dug a river underneath my field. I accidentally dug into my stairwell and flooded my entire dormitory. Killing almost every dorf. Losing is fun!

Vagabundo

I gave it another go yesterday with the Newbie pack and tutorials. I might just be hooked this time, and I haven't even seen an enemy yet. I was bothered by the interface at first, but now I hardly notice it.

Learning how to dump rock made a huge difference for me. I need a tidy fortress!

Wait until you smooth or engrave it. Wowthe place look gorgeous. And smoothing the stone increases the quality of the room, from megar to modest for example.

Goblin raid showed up, murdered everyone.

All dead? All you need is one and you might get a fresh batch of immigrants. You could then construct some defended. You should have traps all along you entrance hall and dogs, get loads of dogs. Yu could also have a retractable bridge. And develop a few squads for ðefence.

Manik

One of my early forts I was trying to create underground irrigation and dug a river underneath my field. I accidentally dug into my stairwell and flooded my entire dormitory. Killing almost every dorf. Losing is fun!
Water deaths are the worst. I constantly forget that water can flow on a diagonal, if it's not blocked off properly. I've designated an area for the dorfs to dig out, planning to make an underground stream, left them to it, been distracted by something a few z levels above for a while and returned to find an impromptu level-wide swimming pool in my fort.

Just as well I never seem to embark anywhere near any magma, really. That would be too much Fun.

Water deaths are the worst. I constantly forget that water can flow on a diagonal, if it's not blocked off properly. I've designated an area for the dorfs to dig out, planning to make an underground stream, left them to it, been distracted by something a few z levels above for a while and returned to find an impromptu level-wide swimming pool in my fort.

Just as well I never seem to embark anywhere near any magma, really. That would be too much Fun.

I've barely tapped into magma. It took me the longest time to realize that I need to just start digging down. All those z-levels that aren't being used! I'm OCD when it comes to Fortress Management and keeping things tidy (like smooth stone, and dumping stone). It kills me to think of all those z-levels that won't get utilized right away!

Manik

I've barely tapped into magma. It took me the longest time to realize that I need to just start digging down. All those z-levels that aren't being used! I'm OCD when it comes to Fortress Management and keeping things tidy (like smooth stone, and dumping stone). It kills me to think of all those z-levels that won't get utilized right away!

It was a revelation for me when I found out you could quantum-dump all of the excess stone in your fort and have nice, tidy floors, but now I have to do it every time I mine anywhere, else I get all uncomfortable.

I never seem to make it down more than a few z-levels - I have a general layout of:

Top Level - Entrance way, Caravan room, Barracks and Drawbridge.
-1 - Stockpiles
-2 - Meeting Rooms, Bedrooms / Dormitory
-3 - Workshops
-4 - Jail / Cemetery / Hall of Heroes

After that I can never usually find a reason to dig down, other than to search for metallic veins. I know that, eventually, I'll start uncovering Hidden Fun Stuff, but all of the under-utilised z-levels between there and my fort make me sad :(

As an aside, smoothing and then engraving stone is far more fun that it should be. All of the little details that sometimes appear in the engravings are amazing. Right at the start of one of my forts an alligator, by the name of Plaguescream, ran up and tore a dwarf in two, running off with his lower half still in his jaws. Later in the game, when I came to smoothing and engraving the stone in my dining room, the engraver had carved in a little tribute to the scene :D

blahness

While quantum dumping works, I find it better to just hide the rocks. The rock can then still be used and you are not wasting your dorfs time and creating unnecessary pathing to dump it. I usually clear it on a room by room basis. hit d-b and then h to hide the entire room. BEFORE hitting ESC use H to unhide any buildings or items in the room that the h command hid. Of course this is easier to do right after carving out a new room or path but can still be done effectively after populating a room, you just have to be careful.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Hide_Items_or_Buildings

Manik

While quantum dumping works, I find it better to just hide the rocks. The rock can then still be used and you are not wasting your dorfs time and creating unnecessary pathing to dump it. I usually clear it on a room by room basis. hit d-b and then h to hide the entire room. BEFORE hitting ESC use H to unhide any buildings or items in the room that the h command hid. Of course this is easier to do right after carving out a new room or path but can still be done effectively after populating a room, you just have to be careful.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Hide_Items_or_Buildings
Huh, wow, the more you know... Thanks for that - I'll just use that method in the future; seems much simpler and quicker. I was just doing it the same way as Awesome Animals before.

Sarcasm - You can use any of the included graphics, it's really just a matter of preference. I think the default one is Mayday's set, so just go with that one. As for settings, I find it helps, if you're just starting, to turn aquifers off, as they can be a right pain till you get to grips with the game. And turn economy off too - I don't think it works properly yet.

blahness

Huh, wow, the more you know... Thanks for that - I'll just use that method in the future; seems much simpler and quicker. I was just doing it the same way as Awesome Animals before.

The reason I stopped using it was because somehow my dorfs kept throwing animal carcasses down into it and it would cause miasma constantly. That and trying to reclaim something out of it was a pain.

Orayn

I generally only quantum dump my excess rocks from cutting into stone layers. Normal garbage goes in a double or triple airlock'd compost chamber.

Mxrz

Yeah, the goblins got everyone. Not sure if they went to every level, or if my dwarves just tried to zerg them. So New Game.

Any tips for how to start more defensively? My new game is on a snowfield with no mountains nearby, so looks like I'll have to dig in. I'm not sure how to do a trade depot under this kind of setup, but I've hardly had much use for them anyway.

blahness

Yeah, the goblins got everyone. Not sure if they went to every level, or if my dwarves just tried to zerg them. So New Game.

Any tips for how to start more defensively? My new game is on a snowfield with no mountains nearby, so looks like I'll have to dig in. I'm not sure how to do a trade depot under this kind of setup, but I've hardly had much use for them anyway.

Reclaim the fortress and build an enclosed maze of walls that shield your entrance with only one entrance. fill out every space in the maze with stonefall and cage traps. All sieges will have to traverse through the maze to reach the entrance of your fortress and will likely not make through.

this is from one of my old forts to give you an idea:

coU2c.png

Top Bottom