• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA staff threaten walkout over lack of statements during Pride Month (Up: cancelled as EA confirm they wont change logo for pride)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Where is the bald month pride? I want to be represented!!!!
Fucking woke society.
Where the fuck is Fat Ass Who Dreams of being a Pro Player But Failed month?

Cant have Bald Month. Too many of you accept who you are and dont whine on social media. If you want people recognizing your bowling ball head, you got to amp up and be angry, miserable and convince the world 24/7 that people with rockstar hair keep you down.

Last edited:
So you chose to remain ignorant. Not surprising.

Should’ve looked more closely at your (childish) avatar
youre the one ignorant. Read up before you spew nothing burgers. The person you quote literally says Governor retaliated at Disney. Attacked one of Disney’s benefits, but Disney isn’t responsible for any of it until Floridan Taxpayers pay the current debt. Those are FACTS. Now point less and read more.

93xfan

Banned
youre the one ignorant. Read up before you spew nothing burgers. The person you quote literally says Governor retaliated at Disney. Attacked one of Disney’s benefits, but Disney isn’t responsible for any of it until Floridan Taxpayers pay the current debt. Those are FACTS. Now point less and read more.
You dismissed my comment and pointing to a summary to do a troll response that added nothing new. Had you started with this post instead, there may have been more to talk about.

Calling a decision a “hissy fit” over and over was probably a poor way to get your point across.

You dismissed my comment and pointing to a summary to do a troll response that added nothing new. Had you started with this post instead, there may have been more to talk about.

Calling a decision a “hissy fit” over and over was probably a poor way to get your point across.
The summaries all confirm what I said. Disney posted a empty PR support for gay progressives. Nothing but to emptily appease. Gov did throw a hissy fit. Because Disney isnt paying the bill, taxpayers are. If that isnt a hissy fit, I dont know what is. Unless he’s your dad or a Floridian taxpayer, you’ll be ok. It’s ok.

Raploz

I believe the Pride month is important, but companies that want to say they support the cause need to do more than just changing their logo, and if EA don't want to change theirs, that's okay. I don't like some of the comments in this thread though. The Pride month is not about wanting to be treated in a special way or telling everyone about one's private life, it's about rights and normalization of LGBT people. Pride is a way of showing people there's nothing wrong being LGBT, it helps with normalization and it's a thing that incentives people to fight for their rights worldwide.

93xfan

Banned
Some people are so desperate to virtue signal that they are anti-woke (oh the irony) they end up sounding bigoted as fuck.

Try to ignore it. It’s the same mentality as what you get at Era from the other side of the equation. The majority here arent like it.
Haven’t read the majority of posts in this thread, but haven’t seen people saying “fuck (insert name of person they disagree with)” or any calling of anyone a horrible piece of trash so far. Era is a place of zealously and hatred.

I think people are just taking jabs at the woke ideology and not at LGBT people.

Last edited:
I believe the Pride month is important, but companies that want to say they support the cause need to do more than just changing their logo, and if EA don't want to change theirs, that's okay. I don't like some of the comments in this thread though. The Pride month is not about wanting to be treated in a special way or telling everyone about one's private life, it's about rights and normalization of LGBT people. Pride is a way of showing people there's nothing wrong being LGBT, it helps with normalization and it's a thing that incentives people to fight for their rights worldwide.
What about the open air metropolitan orgies?

From a pure logic perspective, this makes almost no sense at all. Your argument is that the group wants to be "normalized." A whole especially carved out month is NOT the way to "normalize" anything.

Nothing wrong with LGBT (and we have some awesome LBGT GAFers here) but the activists of the last few years have done that overall group a huge disservice. The 99% of normal LGBT people that want to live their lives as anyone else, they should distance themselves from the activists.

Raploz

From a pure logic perspective, this makes almost no sense at all. Your argument is that the group wants to be "normalized." A whole especially carved out month is NOT the way to "normalize" anything.

Nothing wrong with LGBT (and we have some awesome LBGT GAFers here) but the activists of the last few years have done that overall group a huge disservice. The 99% of normal LGBT people that want to live their lives as anyone else, they should distance themselves from the activists.
Humans have a tendency to fear what's unknown. Exposure is definitely a way to normalize something. When you see something everyday, you stop caring, and most people that personally know an LGBT person in their everyday lives tend to be chill. This is the same idea that drives the push for representation (and sometimes overrepresentation) in media, like games. Personally I agree with the logic and I have seen how this had an effect in the real world. Before, no one would talk about LGBT, it's was a taboo thing. I'm currently 23, and when I was 12 I had the courage to come out as gay to my mother because the soap opera she was watching had a gay character in it and she didn't seem to react negatively to it. Things like Pride and representation have real world benefits to people, and create a ripple effect that starts affecting even countries where LGBT people are censored and killed.

The fact LGBT people have more rights in the west is exactly because of the political push for rights with pride and whatnot. In countries where such things are not allowed, discrimination and murder of LGBT people is still a reality. This is why it's important.

Last edited:
I think people are just taking jabs at the woke ideology and not at LGBT people.
Well said. It's a very important distinction.

GAF seems pretty open/welcoming. I've noticed that the only issues a lot of people have here are with "woke" ideology. Again, we have members who are LGBT and post a lot and are very prominent members loved by the community here.

And no, "woke" is not a vague term, it's a very specific phenomenon. It's not a liberal ideology (hell, *I* consider myself socially liberal), it's a post-modern belief system that overreaches/overcompensates and corrupts liberal ideology. And this overreach is causing a lot of "normies" to react adversely.

Liberal ideology: LGBT are human beings like everyone else and should be granted not just the same legal rights, but honor and decency in society.

Woke overreach: "You must honor LBGT in all of [these particular ways]. You must, as a straight person, be willing to date someone in the LGBT camp. You must allow us to discuss this with kindergarten school-age children. And a lot more. If you don't, then you are a bigot and a transphobe and a horrible human being."

Liberal ideology: Black lives matter (the concept); of course they do, in a civilized society ALL lives matter equally. Police should be reformed through better training and better involvement with the community. Black people have struggles in their neighborhoods that can use collective societal help. Help uplift everyone.

Woke overreach: BLM (the organization). The 1619 Project. "Everything, ever, no matter what and when, is rooted in deep racism. Cops are out there hunting us down in the streets. And if you don't agree with anything we want and say, then you're a raging racist neo-Nazi and we'll use social media to contact your employer and end your livelihood."

Those are just a couple of examples, but the idea is the same. There are liberal ideas/policies that all reasonable people easily agree on. The woke shit is just overreach that is honestly just alienating people.

Last edited:
Humans have a tendency to fear what's unknown. Exposure is definitely a way to normalize something. When you see something everyday, you stop caring, and most people that personally know an LGBT person in their everyday lives tend to be chill. This is the same idea that drives the push for representation (and sometimes overrepresentation) in media, like games. Personally I agree with the logic and I have seen how this had an effect in the real world. Before, no one would talk about LGBT, it's was a taboo thing. I'm currently 23, and when I was 12 I had the courage to come out as gay to my mother because the soap opera she was watching had a gay character in it and she didn't seem to react negatively to it. Things like Pride and representation have real world benefits to people, and create a ripple effect that starts affecting even countries where LGBT people are censored and killed.

The fact LGBT people have more rights in the west is exactly because of the political push for rights with pride and whatnot. In countries where such things are not allowed, discrimination and murder of LGBT people is still a reality. This is why it's important.
Please understand I'm not trying to minimize your personal experience. I'm really not, and thanks for sharing by the way 👍🏾

But still, on a logical level... Normalization happens by... acting normal, by definition. To any member of the LGB group, their orientation is a part -- an important one, even -- of who they are. But it's NOT, and should never be, the only part or the defining part.

For example, we're here, right? To me, you and I are equal members of this forum. You have an avatar, which is the Mario avatar. I don't think of you as "oh yeah that gay poster." You may very well be, but that's not primary in our interactions. All I know is that you may potentially be a Mario fan, or even a Nintendo fan at large, so I'll probably run into you in Nintendo-centric topics. So because I think of you as a Mario fan, and our primary interactions are about video games, by definition I'm normalizing you. Because I interact with you here as I do with everyone else.

But if you constantly tell me you're gay and I have to make special exceptions for you and interact with you in a special way specifically because you're gay, that's the OPPOSITE of "normalizing."

Again, I point to LGBT members here. We talk shit and do platform warrior shit in the video game section, and talk about random shit in off-topic. But there ARE at least one or two gay-centric threads in off topic, and even to me (a straight guy) I pop in those from time to time because those threads are fun as hell.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Just to add a small side argument to all of this.

Not sure if this is a games industry or creative industries thing, but people who work in the games industry do tend to have a notion that the company they work for shares their values.

One of the reasons for this is because games companies have a massive skills shortage so everyone is fighting to hire the same people and one of the ways they do that is by telling people at their interviews ‘we are a multi cultural company who does not discriminate and welcomes people of all colours, gender and sexual orientation’ etc etc.

This is of course flawed because as some have pointed out, things like aggressive economy tactics are present in those companies even though most people who work there don’t share those views.

This is also what we are seeing right now with many on the shop floor speaking out against NFTs where they are threatening to resign if they are included in a game they are working on. Projects that are using those in the west are having to hire people who are specifically ok with it.

Raploz

Please understand I'm not trying to minimize your personal experience. I'm really not, and thanks for sharing by the way 👍🏾

But still, on a logical level... Normalization happens by... acting normal, by definition. To any member of the LGB group, their orientation is a part -- an important one, even -- of who they are. But it's NOT, and should never be, the only part or the defining part.

For example, we're here, right? To me, you and I are equal members of this forum. You have an avatar, which is the Mario avatar. I don't think of you as "oh yeah that gay poster." You may very well be, but that's not primary in our interactions. All I know is that you may potentially be a Mario fan, or even a Nintendo fan at large, so I'll probably run into you in Nintendo-centric topics. So because I think of you as a Mario fan, and our primary interactions are about video games, by definition I'm normalizing you. Because I interact with you here as I do with everyone else.

But if you constantly tell me you're gay and I have to make special exceptions for you and interact with you in a special way specifically because you're gay, that's the OPPOSITE of "normalizing."

Again, I point to LGBT members here. We talk shit and do platform warrior shit in the video game section, and talk about random shit in off-topic. But there ARE at least one or two gay-centric threads in off topic, and even to me (a straight guy) I pop in those from time to time because those threads are fun as hell.
I want you to reflect why, in the last couple of decades, people are becoming more accepting of LGBT people in the west, and why in countries where anything about LGBT is censored and criminalized the opposite is true. You can only treat me like anyone else because you see me as just another human being, however, in other places, being LGBT has such a negative connotation that people don't see things that way. When people get exposed to something and they realize it's not actually a threat or something negative, the likelihood they'll be more accepting of that thing is increased. People simply become desensitized, and this is not something that takes conscious effort to happen. This is the same logic behind why in violent places no one gets shocked when a murder happens but in safe countries any murder gets on the headlines for days. When things become common they become normalized.

Last edited:
first of all, it's EA. you should probably just be happy they didn't outright come and say some super offensive anti-pride stuff already. second of all, make a statement with all the supporters in the company. make it known how you feel. but don't protest or walkout to try and strong arm the company to take whatever side you want them to take. a company's main purpose is to make money, and EA is one of the best example of that. they have no shame, doing shitty ass things that's hated by many. but they made money. they had already fulfilled their responsibility.

as a boomer (I'm 45 this year), I fully support whatever identity you like to take on and support your life choices. I would defend you on those subjects too. but don't try to force it onto others. don't ask me to call a single person they/them. don't tell me I should support a grown ass man competing in a women's sport event. I'll judge if I would support these things myself. in the end of the day, those things only concern a minority of society and if you try to force it onto others, it's no different than whatever oppressing forces had done to your community in my eyes. fight the good fight but also keep a perspective of things from other's view point.

KXWfDk8.png

Last edited:
I have no problem with supporting gay people,and that's what the pride flag used to mean to me.Problem for me is the whole thing has been hijacked by a lot of mentally ill people who want to identify as Demons and Cake......I find waving a flag for these types to be in really bad taste and don't support the normalisation of mental illness.Gay people should split from these loons and let them have the flag.....create their own thing like the LGB alliance have done.
Or oh, I don't know, don't base your entire life and identity crusading about something most people will never truly care deep down about no matter how much they virtue signal because it's irrelevant to and totally removed from the day to day lives of 95% of the population?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have no problem with supporting gay people,and that's what the pride flag used to mean to me.Problem for me is the whole thing has been hijacked by a lot of mentally ill people who want to identify as Demons and Cake......I find waving a flag for these types to be in really bad taste and don't support the normalisation of mental illness.Gay people should split from these loons and let them have the flag.....create their own thing like the LGB alliance have done.
If gay people want to flaunt it at parades go ahead. I'll never attend. I'm indifferent to them too. Who really cares if someone is gay or not? I dont walk down the street or go to the office and the first thing I think about if if he or she is straight, gay or bi. Dont care.

As for people latching on, they did it because Pride has their own celebration and it's easier to hijack it butting in than do your own thing.

Problem with Pride organizers is they let others steamroll them like how BLM took over with megaphones. Now the parades might be one part Pride and one part BLM. That's on them to allow it or ban it.

The LGBTQ etc.... acronym group will never separate. There's strength in numbers and if each letter does their own thing they'll lose power and voice. It's either go in as one group (and promote their own things whether each letter likes it or not), or each letter goes it alone against straight people.

I bet most of them who label themselves as part of the LBQT+ giant group have no idea or care what the other people in the group want. They just care about themselves. But the narrative is stronger when someone says they are part of the growing LQGTB+ group than the B (Bi) group.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Can we please have a little more sympathy around here for woke, authoritarian people who simply want to compel speech and cancel all speech and comedy they disagree with?

It should be assumed anyone who disagrees is a
racist
homophobic
gluten sympathizing
misogynist
transphobe.

Can we please have a little more sympathy around here for woke, authoritarian people who simply want to compel speech and cancel all speech and comedy they disagree with?

It should be assumed anyone who disagrees is a
racist
homophobic
gluten sympathizing
misogynist
transphobe.
One of the coolest things about being part of this forum is that we are... (*checks notes*)...

"A cesspool of free thinkers."

EDIT: it's actually "a trashfire of freethinkers"

(thanks nush nush for the correction! 😂👍🏾)

Last edited:
I want you to reflect why, in the last couple of decades, people are becoming more accepting of LGBT people in the west, and why in countries where anything about LGBT is censored and criminalized the opposite is true. You can only treat me like anyone else because you see me as just another human being, however, in other places, being LGBT has such a negative connotation that people don't see things that way. When people get exposed to something and they realize it's not actually a threat or something negative, the likelihood they'll be more accepting of that thing is increased. People simply become desensitized, and this is not something that takes conscious effort to happen. This is the same logic behind why in violent places no one gets shocked when a murder happens but in safe countries any murder gets on the headlines for days. When things become common they become normalized.
I have indeed thought about it, and in fact you brought up a good point about "other places" which only helps make the point that some (notably DeepEnigma DeepEnigma ) have already made in this very thread:

The call for a shallow/symbolic alliance from EA rings extra hollow when the same calls aren't being made in places where LGBT are truly and horrible oppressed. As far as the liberal West goes, not only are LGBT already normalized... You can argue that there's been an overshoot. I can't think of any single group of people in American history (I'm American and can only speak in terms of the US) that has been more overly protected, coddled, and given special treatment, than the LGBT group is in 2022.

I'm confident that some of the Stonewall guys (you know, the ones from the 1969 riots) would shake their collective heads at some of the shenanigans that the extremist LGBT people are pulling these days.

JackSparr0w

Banned
I have indeed thought about it, and in fact you brought up a good point about "other places" which only helps make the point that some (notably DeepEnigma DeepEnigma ) have already made in this very thread:

The call for a shallow/symbolic alliance from EA rings extra hollow when the same calls aren't being made in places where LGBT are truly and horrible oppressed. As far as the liberal West goes, not only are LGBT already normalized... You can argue that there's been an overshoot. I can't think of any single group of people in American history (I'm American and can only speak in terms of the US) that has been more overly protected, coddled, and given special treatment, than the LGBT group is in 2022.

I'm confident that some of the Stonewall guys (you know, the ones from the 1969 riots) would shake their collective heads at some of the shenanigans that the extremist LGBT people are pulling these days.
In my country when gay relationships were legalized it was under the presumption that members of the gay community will be discreet and respectful towards the general public (all that written and still part of the actual law). It was never meant to be this blackmailing, celebrating and amoral circus we ended up with and I'm not quite sure how we got there. The pendulum have swung way too far.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
LGBT people are more than welcome here.

Woke bullshit ideology, on the other hand, may be met with the disdain it deserves.

Don’t like the above and support censorship? Then feel too close your browser and practice censorship of your own speech.

Last edited:

Jesb

I think it’s absolutely ridiculous how most corporations are shoving gay pride down our throat.

Hope that the activists are happy.

SPOILER: they're not. They can't be. Woke ideology has no actual "victory condition," because achieving such a condition would mean the beneficiaries lose their victim status.

For everyone else, we can see that this is now extra hollow, since we know the statement -- which was a dubious premise to begin with -- came under extreme duress.

LMAO 😂

Raploz

As far as the liberal West goes, not only are LGBT already normalized... You can argue that there's been an overshoot. I can't think of any single group of people in American history (I'm American and can only speak in terms of the US) that has been more overly protected, coddled, and given special treatment, than the LGBT group is in 2022.
It all depends where you are. There are many places, even within western countries, that aren't safe at all. The laws might say one thing, but how people react in the real world is another. There's also politicians always threatening to pass some discriminatory bill, which is one of the reasons I believe no one should take rights for granted.
Everyone knows changing the logo is mostly virtue signaling, but I don't think that's useless. The message is important. I do agree though action should be taken in other less welcoming countries too.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I made a thread years ago about how fucking retarded all this shit is. There doesn’t need to be a Pride Month. There doesn’t need to be Black History Month. There doesn’t need to be Women’s History month. We dont’ need these pointless “celebrations” that do nothing of actual value for *anyone* other than allow a small minority that is, nine times out of ten, not the actual target group to scream into the heavens and pretend like they actually are providing something of value to society (the slacktivists if it wasn’t clear enough).

No company actually gives a flying shit about any of this. Its all performative actions to get gullible dipshits to buy their products.

Florida passed a law preventing teachers from discussing things of a sexual nature with students under the age of 8. A law that seems to be common sense but that these days needed to be on the books. For some reason the LGBT lobby decided that law was anti-LGBT because it wouldn't allow them to groom, indoctrinate and confuse little kids anymore so they started calling the bill the "don't say gay" bill even though the word gay isn't even in the bill. The lobby then went to Disney, a so called "ally" and a huge company in Florida to campaign against it. At first Disney said, we're staying out of this, lawmaking isn't what we do. But then the lobby and Disney LGBT employees raised a fuss on social media and Disney backtracked and grovelled in apology before the mob and started actively campaigning against the bill; a bill that the vast majority of Florida voters supported. So basically they were opposing democracy. This pissed off Florida's governor who decided to revoke Disney's special rights in Florida. Basically Disney was operating as its own independent nation within the state, they had total self-governance on their land, they could build what they wanted, do what they wanted and paid no state taxes. This was an old agreement dating back 60 years and it was very advantageous for Disney, but now they lost it because of their undemocratic activism.
Ah yes I remember the bit about the power Disney had over the land there. Thanks for the detailed response!

I don’t understand - so they threatened to walk out if EA will not stop being wishy washy, EA then said: “Ok, fuck your Pride Month”, and snowflakes just said ok, fine with us? Am I understanding this right?
No they said only turning your logo rainbow is "rainbow washing", you need to do more to show you really care about LGBT causes. EA stayed quiet but after some pressuring EA released a statement that they wouldn't simply change their logo that they will actually support the cause in meaningful ways but have yet to do or announce anything of substance to these people.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No they said only turning your logo rainbow is "rainbow washing", you need to do more to show you really care about LGBT causes. EA stayed quiet but after some pressuring EA released a statement that they wouldn't simply change their logo that they will actually support the cause in meaningful ways but have yet to do or announce anything of substance to these people.

Best thing to support LGBT Causes? Ignore them. Treat them like they are every day people. *That* is what we should be doing. Not infantilizing them and treating them like they need special support or awards/presentations/parades.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best thing to support LGBT Causes? Ignore them. Treat them like they are every day people. *That* is what we should be doing. Not infantilizing them and treating them like they need special support or awards/presentations/parades.
Sounds reasonable, but you'll get flip floppers wanting attention when they see fit.

It's kinds of like handicapped people (mental or physical). On one hand they say we're like everyone else so treat us the same. But then there's times they want special treatment and recognition for anything from parking spots, preferred seating on public transit to easier access to getting a job as an employee with a disability.

So which is it?

It's when there's personal gain from it. If it's an issue where there's nothing to gain or not an interesting topic worth fighting for, nobody cares. When it's something which can lead to a perk and smile on their face, people want in.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
What?! People in this community are actively attack, isolated, threatened by shitty religious bigots the world over, and regularly stigmatized. Ignoring them is just enabling the fuckos.

Comon - we all wish everyone was equal in all ways but that's not even true on GAF let alone in the world. Let's not minimize. There can be better ways at supporting, and that's an honest debate, but "let's just ignore our differences" is fucking atrocious. And yes, feel bad for even suggesting it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sounds reasonable, but you'll get flip floppers wanting attention when they see fit.
Sadly, we will always see this no matter the case.

It's kinds of like handicapped people (mental or physical). On one hand they say we're like everyone else so treat us the same. But then there's times they want special treatment and recognition for anything from parking spots, preferred seating on public transit to easier access to getting a job as an employee with a disability.
There will always be those that take advantage of any situation and try to wring it for all its worth. Whether its morbidly obese people using powered scooters to get around instead of people with physical walking disabilities, amputees, etc, or soccer moms lying about having some mental disorder they self diagnosed to procure medications or special treatment at work. However, whenever this happens I feel people should speak up and changes should be made to have these services designed for people who specifically need it.

I know in my area the super markets refuse obese people to use scooters and only allow those with actual physical disabilities to utilize them. Same with the parking spaces. But its also a smaller town so almost everyone knows each other and follows etiquette.

So which is it?

It's when there's personal gain from it. If it's an issue where there's nothing to gain or not an interesting topic worth fighting for, nobody cares. When it's something which can lead to a perk and smile on their face, people want in.

Slacktivism at work. There really is no easy way to “fix” these problems when there will always be lazy, opportunistic cunts trying to take advantage at every opportunity. Best thing people can do is just keep pushing for actual, positive change. Call out the despicable bastards, actually perform activist duties, talk with lawmakers, etc. Teach young men and women on how to be better or do it through your own children. Instill better life lessons and strong ethics.

It is not something that we can fix in a generation, sadly.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What?! People in this community are actively attack, isolated, threatened by shitty religious bigots the world over, and regularly stigmatized. Ignoring them is just enabling the fuckos.

Comon - we all wish everyone was equal in all ways but that's not even true on GAF let alone in the world. Let's not minimize. There can be better ways at supporting, and that's an honest debate, but "let's just ignore our differences" is fucking atrocious. And yes, feel bad for even suggesting it.

There is a difference between ignoring actual plights, actual issues and treating someone with the same dignity and respect as anyone else. ”Pride Month” is not treating LGBT folks with the same dignity and respect. Its infantilizing them. Its treating them as if they are special - they aren’t. If ”Pride Month” was simply a month of creating awareness of LGBT issues Both in local communities and other countries (referring to ACTUAL issues, not the made up bullshit that many children today claim), then I wouldn’t be against it, I would be completely for it! The reality is that it isn’t and hasn’t been for decades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom