• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2022 (August 5-7) | The One and Only

e0n

67hdaoe.jpg

Evolution Champion Series is finally back with in-person tournaments that last happened in 2019.
With Sony at the helm, the event returns with PlayStation Tournaments: Evo Lounge, a live show covering updates, interviews, and reveals starting Friday, August 5th 10 AM PDT

Stream schedule

https://www.evo.gg/schedule
Brackets
https://www.start.gg/tournament/evo-2022/details

Main Stage

Rat Rage

I'm not gonna watch EVO. It used to be super fun to watch, but like with anything that gets too popular, it eventually starts to suck after more and more money gets involved. Sony has bought EVO and everything has becomes too "esports". People have to watch what they say, people get banned for a kinds of shit, even after they've been largely redeemed? (see Infiltration).

Fuck that. Where have all the cool, unique commentators gone? Especially Zhi and Skisonic. I mean, Yipes will be there for sure, but past EVOs were just more fun. I think SFV is too blame as well, because it fucking sucks.

Elbereth

I'm not gonna watch EVO. It used to be super fun to watch, but like with anything that gets too popular, it eventually starts to suck after more and more money gets involved. Sony has bought EVO and everything has becomes too "esports". People have to watch what they say, people get banned for a kinds of shit, even after they've been largely redeemed? (see Infiltration).

Fuck that. Where have all the cool, unique commentators gone? Especially Zhi and Skisonic. I mean, Yipes will be there for sure, but past EVOs were just more fun. I think SFV is too blame as well, because it fucking sucks.

I hear ya.

I’m not a big fan of the esports takeover of the scene. Definitely seems to be more cons than pros.

However, the fighting game genre is very niche compared to the other genres that own the majority of the spotlight. EVO has always been the Super Bowl of fighting games, and I wouldn’t miss the sheer hype and excitement of watching the best of the best square off. Not to mention the announcements.

But I definitely miss the poverty fgc lol

Dancer_BV

This has a couple of neat fighting games that I might want to see more of. I haven't watched that much Granblue, Guilty Gear, or DBZ, but it might be nice.

At least they're broadcasting the pools this year.

Still feels very low key for the day before Evo but then last year was such that most people didn't even notice it took place. =P

Grechy34

Agree with most of your sentiments but I am glad Infiltration is gone. I watched one of his streams once and he came across as a complete arrogant piece of shit.

Manji Uzuki

Mostly looking forward to the announcements this weekend. Guess will watch some of the GG Strive, KOF XV and SFV combats as well

Lady Jane

Banned

I agree that the past EVO's were more fun to watch but do we know that if the eSports angle is at least helping in viewership and sponsors?

Shifty

Word on the street is that 'no shit talking the games' is a clause in the EVO streaming T&Cs this year.

Which I'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with MultiVersus making its tournament debut in front of thousands upon thousands of bloodthirsty FGC stream monsters :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

op22

Whoa. First Tekken match is man vs woman, Feng vs Xiaoyu and woman wins 3 - zip. How controversial.

op22

Bear vs. Man in second set. Man wins again. :) But Hwoarang took quite a salmon to the face. Looking forward to see if he can overcome the trauma.

The S56 panel was annoying as hell. So much fake hype and "surprise" from the live commentators even though they know they recorded the commentary from a script. If I get the game, it's the first thing I'm turning off. For me, it's time wasted on stuff that they could put their dev time and resources into.

GenericUser

Hey guys, can you recommend me youtube/twitch channels that feature the tekken pool matches? I already visit suiken, the evo channel and aris' channel, but I wonder if there are more channels that feature more of the pools matches.

EVO RULES!

Paltheos

Melty Blood top 8 was crazy hype. Good character variety and allot of upsets and close matches.

Edit- For the curious, top 8 was comprised of:

2 Vlovs
2 Shikis
1 DAN
1 Noel
1 Hisui
1 Mario

Last edited:

op22

Cutting off the fight to the commentator's ugly faces as soon as possible is getting really annoying.

The advertising/downtime to actual fight footage ratio has been like 3 to 1. There has been around 2 matches per hour shown for any specific game.
Yea the ads are pretty bad, but it is the downtime in general that is just horrible. I should not be sitting on a screen that says "more Tekken 7 coming in 4 minutes" when there are literally dozens of games that still need to be played during the time slot. They gotta get their scheduling and production sorted so they can always be feeding a match, even if it doesn't have commentary or they pop in partway through.

chriskun

Yea the ads are pretty bad, but it is the downtime in general that is just horrible. I should not be sitting on a screen that says "more Tekken 7 coming in 4 minutes" when there are literally dozens of games that still need to be played during the time slot. They gotta get their scheduling and production sorted so they can always be feeding a match, even if it doesn't have commentary or they pop in partway through.
To be fair its probably hard to coordinate matches to put on stream especially with so many players being multi-game players now, but it didnt used to be this way or this bad for sure.

To be fair its probably hard to coordinate matches to put on stream especially with so many players being multi-game players now, but it didnt used to be this way or this bad for sure.
Oh yeah, overall the scheduling is probably a nightmare and I would not want to try to coordinate the ridiculous number of matches that need to happen in the early pools. But it can't be that hard to have one or two of the other consoles being recorded and just switch to them while main stage is prepping.

Tomorrow should be hype though, it's funny I don't even play fighting games but this is really fun to watch

[Sigma]

PepperySplash ended SonicFox's run in losers. Hotashi took out LostSoul in losers. Got Latif vs Leffen coming up in a bit. I haven't seen Latif much in mirrors. Leffen's Zato-1 is pretty good and Latif's Zato-1 is criminal. The winner will be in top 8. Slash(who I haven't seen much of) made it to top 8 with May.

Last edited:
Top Bottom